Author Topic: More thoughts on Michaell Jackson's Quincy Jones produced work  (Read 221 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
So in the last week I bought Off the wall, Thriller, and Bad.

Off the wall is awesome, though the rest of the album seriously drops off after the first two AMAZING tracks. Not much innovation, but still great funk.

Thriller-damn near perfect, I really wish Paul Mccartney and him would have done more of a PYT type thing than what they did. otherwise, this shit is just enthralling, and innovative.

Bad-I was seriously disappointed with this after the first two quincy MJ albums. It's cause it's so mired in 80's ness. OTW and Thriller are very 70's in their sound, whereas Bad is just completely 80s which really equals out to bad instrumentation imo. The songs themselves are pretty strong, but the 80's synth, programmed instrumentation is just really hard on the ears compared to such fluid live performed songs off his records like Billie Jean, Rock with you, don't stop till you get enough, PYT etc.

so does anyone have any other MJ recommendations given that I like OTW and Thriller but not bad?

I was thinking about getting the three "the Jacksons" albums that were made around the time of 'thriller' (Destiny, Victory, and Triumph) also based on Raide's suggestion, Quincy Jones' "the dude" and I was gonna get the first two Heatwave records (a group led by rod temperton, the writer to many of the first two quincy michael albums best songs, like thriller's title track for example).

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

-CaliKid-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ^dime^
Re: More thoughts on Michaell Jackson's Quincy Jones produced work
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:03:09 AM »
IMO u  should definately cop 'Destiny' and 'Triumph' by The Jacksons, those albums are classics.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:28:17 AM »
IMO u  should definately cop 'Destiny' and 'Triumph' by The Jacksons, those albums are classics.

+1 thanks man

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

StevenQBosell

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:15:55 AM »
Mos def check out Heatwave, you can hear how Temperton matured from Heatwave to Thriller

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »

Off the wall is awesome, though the rest of the album seriously drops off after the first two AMAZING tracks. Not much innovation, but still great funk.

Thriller-damn near perfect, I really wish Paul Mccartney and him would have done more of a PYT type thing than what they did. otherwise, this shit is just enthralling, and innovative.

Bad-I was seriously disappointed with this after the first two quincy MJ albums. It's cause it's so mired in 80's ness. OTW and Thriller are very 70's in their sound, whereas Bad is just completely 80s which really equals out to bad instrumentation imo. The songs themselves are pretty strong, but the 80's synth, programmed instrumentation is just really hard on the ears compared to such fluid live performed songs off his records like Billie Jean, Rock with you, don't stop till you get enough, PYT etc.

so does anyone have any other MJ recommendations given that I like OTW and Thriller but not bad?

I was thinking about getting the three "the Jacksons" albums that were made around the time of 'thriller' (Destiny, Victory, and Triumph) also based on Raide's suggestion, Quincy Jones' "the dude" and I was gonna get the first two Heatwave records (a group led by rod temperton, the writer to many of the first two quincy michael albums best songs, like thriller's title track for example).

-T

gotta disagree with you on this one tanj.

For me off the wall is superior to thriller and i think thriller is amazing. There isnt one track i dislike on off the wall or thriller but off the wall edges it for me.

I agree with your comments on MJ ansd paul mccartney, do you have the track say, say, say which they did together ?

Also i think you need to listen to Bad as if you havent heard OTW or Thriller because it is a different sound. Overall its not as good as those two but it has some classics in the way you make me feel, speed demon, liberian girl, man in the mirror, dirty diana and smooth criminal.

Id recommend picking up MJ's dangerous but its nothing like the quincy jones sound.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:19:43 PM by KURUPTION-81 »

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Paul

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »

-T

For me off the wall is superior to thriller and i think thriller is amazing. There isnt one track i dislike on off the wall or thriller but off the wall edges it for me.

I agree with your comments on MJ ansd paul mccartney, do you have the track say, say, say which they did together ?

Also i think you need to listen to Bad as if you havent heard OTW or Thriller because it is a different sound. Overall its not as good as those two but it has some classics in the way you make me feel, speed demon, liberian girl, man in the mirror, dirty diana and smooth criminal.

Id recommend picking up MJ'S dangerous but it nothing like the quincy jones sound.

agree 100% with you, otw for me had a better overall sound than thriller

dangerous is still a good cd, blood on the dancefloor was a nice cut
funkyfreshintheflesh

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »

-T

Id recommend picking up MJ's dangerous but its nothing like the quincy jones sound.

And a few albums later, get Invincible, which is totally far from it all again, with that smooth R&B records. Wit a lil pop influence.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »

-T

And a few albums later, get Invincible, which is totally far from it all again, with that smooth R&B records. Wit a lil pop influence.

yeah, i enjoyed invincible MJ needs to bring out another album.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson