Author Topic: The DFW thread: The D.O.C, Erotic D and 6-2  (Read 33543 times)

Erotic D

• Lil Geezy
Re: The DFW thread: The D.O.C, Erotic D and 6-2
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »
What up guys!!!! The album is definitely making it's way to all the outlets. Thanks for your purchase Ichi. You KNOW how deep my appreciation runs for everybody here Dre-Day. Here's a fun fact about G-NONE REALA. We did that as a Genacide "reunion" track and once it was finished, i had put it on El Dog's KILLA MUZIK album. Then SIX2 wanted it for HIS album. In the end, i decided that it needed to be heard on whichever release was first. Plus it was a great opportunity for me to have a song on my album that i just produced. I was supposed to put a 3rd verse on it and i just felt that it was perfect the way it was. I can't get enough of hearing how it turned out. Peace.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
What up guys!!!! The album is definitely making it's way to all the outlets. Thanks for your purchase Ichi. You KNOW how deep my appreciation runs for everybody here Dre-Day. Here's a fun fact about G-NONE REALA. We did that as a Genacide "reunion" track and once it was finished, i had put it on El Dog's KILLA MUZIK album. Then SIX2 wanted it for HIS album. In the end, i decided that it needed to be heard on whichever release was first. Plus it was a great opportunity for me to have a song on my album that i just produced. I was supposed to put a 3rd verse on it and i just felt that it was perfect the way it was. I can't get enough of hearing how it turned out. Peace.

no problem   :)

and thanks for the info   :)
i was surprised too, that G None Reala ended up on your debut album, but it makes sense now  ;)

by the way, i check for the album on amazon.com, everyday lol, no joke  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chad Vader

« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »

Well after reading Dre-Day´s and Erotic´s (short  :P) convo about sales,budget and what not....
I got inspired to repost some shit about the music industries future. Something I find interesting.
I can only speak for myself  ;).... but I used to purchase at least 20 albums a month,but now I maybe purchase that yearly  :-\ :-[....
Yes,internet killed the sales. So what now?

This little thing might move the convo on;
Dollars and Sense: Second Edition (Friday June 13th, 2008)
http://www.dubcnn.com/blogs/dollarsandsense/
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=183781.msg1877570#msg1877570

People like free, but will it translate into sales?
By Eric Engelwood

So I had my iTunes on shuffle trying to come up with something to write about when it dawned on me:
The West Coast is at the forefront of marketing in the music industry. iTunes played me Crooked I’s Hip-hop Weekly #19.
That track was followed up by Bishop Lamont’s City Lights, which was followed up by Problem’s I’m toe up remix.
The West Coast is putting out quality music for free, so how will artists make money?
Will this tactic of "free music" pan out or will we see another generation of angry West Coast rappers shunned by the industry?

Think about it for a second: Crooked I put out 52 weeks of free music. That’s nearly four albums worth of free music.
Bishop Lamont has put out three album quality mixtapes in a little over a year.
Artists regularly put fully mixed and mastered tracks on Dubcnn, Lyay.net and countless other media outlets for free.
This is a brand new way of marketing and it’s time for artists to take advantage of this new model. Welcome to music 2.0.

Artists are building grassroots fanbases , but are they utilizing them accordingly?
In order to succeed, touring, direct to fan sales, and other revenue streams should be examined.
For every artist that puts out a track for free, there should a plan to make money behind it.
Will that track get that gets the club jumping translate into touring money?
Can you license that song about your favorite booze to the booze company for a commercial?

For the New West artists reading this -
Imagine for a second that you NEVER made a cent from selling a physical CD or a track online.
How would you make money from your music?
If you can list three things off the top of your head then you’re in good shape.
If not, get brainstorming. Like I said in my last blog post: Throw some sh*t at a wall and see what sticks.
Think about different ways of monetizing your music in other ways than just selling tracks or CD’s.

The music industry is going through a sea change, but with the right angle the West Coast can come out ahead.
The sooner artists realize the way of making money in the music industry has changed,
the sooner they can come up with new ways to get their paper.

Well,the move Prince did was pretty genius;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)
On June 28, 2007, the UK national newspaper The Mail on Sunday
revealed that it had made a deal to give Prince's new album, Planet Earth,
away for free with an "imminent" edition of the paper, making it the first place in the world to get the album.
The date chosen was July 15, 2007.
This move has sparked controversy among music distributors and has also led the UK arm of Prince's distributor, Sony BMG, to withdraw from distributing the album in UK stores.[31]
The UK's largest high street music retailer, HMV decided to stock the paper on release day due to the giveaway.

How about XXL and/or The Source do the same?
And let advertisers pay the bills. I'm sure advertisers would pay up.
The albums would get world wide distribution in news stands all over the world.

This could also be a option;

In Rapper’s Deal, a New Model for Music Business
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/arts/music/03jayz.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1_r=1&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
By JEFF LEEDS Published: April 3, 2008

LOS ANGELES — In a move that reflects the anarchy sweeping the music business, the superstar rapper Jay-Z, who released his latest album to lukewarm sales five months ago, is on the verge of closing a deal with a concert promoter that rivals the biggest music contracts ever awarded.

Jay-Z plans to depart his longtime record label, Def Jam, for a roughly $150 million package with the concert giant Live Nation that includes financing for his own entertainment venture, in addition to recordings and tours for the next decade. The pact, expected to be finalized this week, is the most expansive deal yet from Live Nation, which has angled to compete directly with the industry’s established music labels in a scrum over the rights to distribute recordings, sell concert tickets, market merchandise and control other aspects of artists’ careers.

As CD sales plunge, an array of players — including record labels, promoters and advertisers — are racing to secure deals that cut them in on a larger share of an artist’s overall revenue. Live Nation has already struck less comprehensive pacts with Madonna and U2.

In Jay-Z, Live Nation has lined up with a longtime star who, after toiling as a self-described hustler on the streets of Brooklyn, earned acclaim as a rapper and cachet as a mogul.

Live Nation’s core business has revolved around major rock and country tours, and with Jay-Z it is making an unexpected foray into hip-hop. The company is also placing an enormous wager on a performer who, like many others, has experienced declining record sales. (Last year’s “American Gangster” sold one million copies in the United States; “The Black Album,” from 2003, sold well over three million.)

But the arrangement would also position Live Nation to participate in a range of new deals with Jay-Z, one of music’s most entrepreneurial stars, whose past ventures have included the Rocawear clothing line, which he sold last year for $204 million, and the chain of 40/40 nightclubs.

Jay-Z, 38, whose real name is Shawn Carter, owes one more studio album to Def Jam, where he was president for three years before stepping down in December after he and the label’s corporate parent, Universal Music Group, could not agree on a more lucrative contract.

His first undertaking with Live Nation is his current 28-date tour with Mary J. Blige, his biggest live outing in more than three years. After that, Live Nation envisions integrating the marketing of all Jay-Z’s entertainment endeavors, including recordings, tours and endorsements.

“I’ve turned into the Rolling Stones of hip-hop,” Jay-Z said in a recent telephone interview.

The deal answers a question that had been circling through the rap world for months: Where would Jay-Z take his next corporate role? As part of the arrangement, Live Nation would finance the start-up of a venture that would be an umbrella for his outside projects, which are expected to include his own label, music publishing, and talent consulting and managing. Live Nation is expected to contribute $5 million a year in overhead for five years, with another $25 million available to finance Jay-Z’s acquisitions or investments, according to people in the music industry briefed on the agreement. The venture, to be called Roc Nation, will split profits with Live Nation.

The overall package for Jay-Z also includes an upfront payment of $25 million, a general advance of $25 million that includes fees for his current tour, and advance payment of $10 million an album for a minimum of three albums during the deal’s 10-year term, these people said. A series of other payments adding up to about $20 million is included in exchange for certain publishing, licensing and other rights. Jay-Z said Live Nation’s consolidated approach was in sync with the emerging potential “to reach the consumer in so many different ways right now.” He added: “Everyone’s trying to figure it out. I want to be on the front lines in that fight.”

The popularity of music downloads has revolutionized how music is consumed, and widespread piracy has contributed to an industry meltdown in which traditional album sales — composed mostly of the two-decades-old CD format — have slumped by more than a third since 2000. (The best seller in 2007, Josh Groban’s “Noël,” sold 3.7 million copies, compared with 9.9 million for the top album in 2000, according to Nielsen SoundScan.)

That has further pressured record-label executives to rewrite the economics of their business and step beyond the sale of albums in an attempt to wring revenue out of everything from ring tones to artist fan clubs.

Jay-Z said that his future as an artist could involve elevating the role of live performances, long a mixed bag even for popular rap acts.

“In a way I want to operate like an indie band,” he said. “Play the music on tour instead of relying on radio. Hopefully we’ll get some hits out of there and radio will pick it up, but we won’t make it with that in mind.”

Though sales for Jay-Z’s tour with Ms. Blige have been strong since it began on March 22, with almost all the early dates resulting in sold-out arenas, it is unclear when Live Nation could carry out other aspects of the deal. (Jay-Z said that he hoped to deliver his final album for Def Jam later this year.)

Critics of Live Nation, which lost nearly $12 million last year, predict that it would be difficult to turn a profit on the arrangement, given the continuing decline in record sales and the mixed track record of artist-run ventures. Shares in the company have suffered since October when Live Nation negotiated a reported $120 million deal with Madonna.

Michael Cohl, Live Nation’s chairman, said he was not worried. Though he declined to discuss terms of the Jay-Z arrangement, he said it did not require an increase in record sales to be profitable. “He could be doing more tours and doing great,” Mr. Cohl said. “There could be endorsements and sponsorships.” He added, “The whole is what’s important.”

He cited Jay-Z’s forays into a host of other businesses as a model for Live Nation. “What he’s done has kind of mirrored what we want to do and where we think we’re going.”

Some executives at major record labels have privately portrayed Live Nation’s artist deals as overly expensive retirement packages for stars past their prime.

Others disagree. “I’d much rather be in the business of marketing a superstar who cost me a lot of money than taking the 1-in-10, demonstrably failing crapshoot” of signing unknown talents, said Jeffrey Light, a Los Angeles entertainment attorney, referring to the traditional record company model.

But the dimensions of the competition could change if Live Nation begins vying for the same emerging artists that the labels hope to sign. Live Nation is negotiating with a Georgia rock act, the Zac Brown Band, after apparently wooing it away from an offer by Atlantic Records, according to music executives briefed on the talks.

Jay-Z, for his part, suggested that the string of stars to exit the major-label system would also signal to younger acts how to plot their careers. He said that rising artists will be thinking: “ ‘Something must be happening. Madonna did it, she’s not slow. Jay-Z, he’s not slow either.’ ”

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:43 AM »
yeah my question was something along the lines of what was written in the blog  ;)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2008, 01:42:06 AM »
Props to erotic for posting up in here, just let you know you got fans all across the globe cuz even in New Zealand. Waiting on that six-two album!!

Erotic D

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
Shout out to New Zealand!!!!! Thanks for the love. You guys have some pretty valid concerns about the state of the bizness. My main point to Dre-Day was that i won't discuss the financial aspects of my bizness. But the environment of the music biz is a different thing. We can discuss that all day. In fact, you guys MAY be able to turn me on to an idea that i haven't come up with. But be assured that there IS a plan. I can't sit around all day and be upset that someone has posted my ENTIRE album on youtube. All i can do is embrace the internet and forge relationships that make fans want to "properly" support our music. That will work for some while others continue to get it free. I wonder how some people who do this would feel if they got to work and the boss had trained a monkey to do their job. This monkey would only work for fruit and you would only get paid to come in when he is sick. That person would cry on the shoulders of ALL who would listen. I can't understand why people don't take OUR job just as serious. Believe it or not, i was VERY reluctant to get into the internet because i could see in its infancy that it was going to fuck up our world. In MANY ways it has. It has also made things easier in many ways. I won't deny that. I have complete confidence that if there is a way for E-WORLD ENTERTAINMENT to be successful without selling our souls, we have the talent to do it. It WILL take help from all of you here and other forums all over the world. Here's something else i will say. I don't have alot of love for our government. But THIS time i am counting on them to stick their noses where they don't belong and try and police the internet sometime in the near future. Let's be clear on this. This is not something that i hope for. This is something that i think the powers that be can't resist. This will put the power back in their hands and the music bizness will benefit from it. As a result, maybe even traditional retail outlets for music will enjoy a full recovery as well. Until then, i will forge alliances that make sense for me and my artists and our families. Fellas!! I need you guys to pray for me and my family. I have been fighting for my freedom on a probation violation charge. I go to court at 2 pm Texas time today. This is a hearing that should determine whether i get more probation or prison time. As i am enjoying my comeback to the music scene AND my 6 month old son, i would gladly sign for the probation. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. So i can complete ANY length of probation. I just made a bad move after i had already done 5 yrs on probation. So i face the consequences like a man. If they give me some time, my wife will log on here to tell you. If you guys don't see a new message from me by 5 pm Texas time, i was not blessed with my freedom. ALL of the projects i mentioned will still be released and promoted. PEACE!!!!!

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2008, 10:02:15 AM »
i hope so u get that probation ;D ;D
if not we will keep ur name alive until u will be back

keep u head up

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Shout out to New Zealand!!!!! Thanks for the love. You guys have some pretty valid concerns about the state of the bizness. My main point to Dre-Day was that i won't discuss the financial aspects of my bizness. But the environment of the music biz is a different thing. We can discuss that all day. In fact, you guys MAY be able to turn me on to an idea that i haven't come up with. But be assured that there IS a plan. I can't sit around all day and be upset that someone has posted my ENTIRE album on youtube. All i can do is embrace the internet and forge relationships that make fans want to "properly" support our music. That will work for some while others continue to get it free. I wonder how some people who do this would feel if they got to work and the boss had trained a monkey to do their job. This monkey would only work for fruit and you would only get paid to come in when he is sick. That person would cry on the shoulders of ALL who would listen. I can't understand why people don't take OUR job just as serious. Believe it or not, i was VERY reluctant to get into the internet because i could see in its infancy that it was going to fuck up our world. In MANY ways it has. It has also made things easier in many ways. I won't deny that. I have complete confidence that if there is a way for E-WORLD ENTERTAINMENT to be successful without selling our souls, we have the talent to do it. It WILL take help from all of you here and other forums all over the world. Here's something else i will say. I don't have alot of love for our government. But THIS time i am counting on them to stick their noses where they don't belong and try and police the internet sometime in the near future. Let's be clear on this. This is not something that i hope for. This is something that i think the powers that be can't resist. This will put the power back in their hands and the music bizness will benefit from it. As a result, maybe even traditional retail outlets for music will enjoy a full recovery as well. Until then, i will forge alliances that make sense for me and my artists and our families. Fellas!! I need you guys to pray for me and my family. I have been fighting for my freedom on a probation violation charge. I go to court at 2 pm Texas time today. This is a hearing that should determine whether i get more probation or prison time. As i am enjoying my comeback to the music scene AND my 6 month old son, i would gladly sign for the probation. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. So i can complete ANY length of probation. I just made a bad move after i had already done 5 yrs on probation. So i face the consequences like a man. If they give me some time, my wife will log on here to tell you. If you guys don't see a new message from me by 5 pm Texas time, i was not blessed with my freedom. ALL of the projects i mentioned will still be released and promoted. PEACE!!!!!

:-\ i hope you don't go to jail, that would be fucked up :P
best of luck

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:35 AM »
Fellas!! I need you guys to pray for me and my family. I have been fighting for my freedom on a probation violation charge. I go to court at 2 pm Texas time today. This is a hearing that should determine whether i get more probation or prison time. As i am enjoying my comeback to the music scene AND my 6 month old son, i would gladly sign for the probation. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. So i can complete ANY length of probation. I just made a bad move after i had already done 5 yrs on probation. So i face the consequences like a man. If they give me some time, my wife will log on here to tell you. If you guys don't see a new message from me by 5 pm Texas time, i was not blessed with my freedom. ALL of the projects i mentioned will still be released and promoted. PEACE!!!!!

i guess this means that Erotic D went to jail :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:57:46 AM by Dre-Day »

Chad Vader

« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2008, 12:46:26 AM »

Well I'm glad you signed up Erotic... to communicate trough Dre-Dre (on myspace) was going no where  :P
Feel free to PM me if there's anything to want to clear out.  ;) Most cats here is either some old ass cats or mature, so don't worry about "net banging"  ;)
Anyway here's how to post youtube videos; (in case you don't know)

....and I'm glad Breed is doing better.... hope you got some dope shit cooking for us.

Props on all the info. First and foremost great news on Breed.

Been a fan of Breed since the get go... this might cheer him up; (?)
MC Breed interviews (collected)
and
MC Breed reviews (collected)

Just reflecting on some of your comments, I hope you find everyone on this board respectful and appreciative but at the same time honest.
anyone who comes in here is a fan but they will share their disappointment if they are not feeling a particular track or whatever.
that's part of this and i hope as a music fan as well as a musician you can appreciate that.

yep,constructive criticism....

also just a random question but have you recently worked or do you plan to work with UPTIGHT?

The whole team that appeared on Deuce was tight,so wouldn't mind hearing some more from them.  ;)

Fellas!! I need you guys to pray for me and my family. I have been fighting for my freedom on a probation violation charge. I go to court at 2 pm Texas time today. This is a hearing that should determine whether i get more probation or prison time. As i am enjoying my comeback to the music scene AND my 6 month old son, i would gladly sign for the probation. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. So i can complete ANY length of probation. I just made a bad move after i had already done 5 yrs on probation. So i face the consequences like a man. If they give me some time, my wife will log on here to tell you. If you guys don't see a new message from me by 5 pm Texas time, i was not blessed with my freedom. ALL of the projects i mentioned will still be released and promoted. PEACE!!!!!

i guess this means that Erotic D went to jail :-\ :-\ :-\

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

shit happens  :-[
Wifee;
Maybe you should print out whatever is written here and give it to him,that might keep his head up.
There´s a link down to the left,
so you don't waste a lot of paper and space on the flicks and other info posted on the page.  ;)
I'll review his album asap,I have it in rotation now......
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:30:15 AM by Chad Vader »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Erotic D in jail?
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2008, 02:33:32 AM »
^ good idea  :)

i hope he doesn't stay in there for too long  :-\
maybe Mr.214 can give us an update sometime  ;)

by the way, amazon.com is slow as hell; the black bruce willis is still not available there yet
>:(

Chad

« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
Here's an update for you guys:  Erotic's wife told me that he was given 18 years!  He has to do a quarter of that (4 1/2 years) to be eligible for parole...

so keep Erotic and his family in your thoughts & prayers, and go support him by purchasing his releases that he'spromised to drop on guys!
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2008, 01:02:39 AM »
Here's an update for you guys:  Erotic's wife told me that he was given 18 years!  He has to do a quarter of that (4 1/2 years) to be eligible for parole...

so keep Erotic and his family in your thoughts & prayers, and go support him by purchasing his releases that he'spromised to drop on guys!

:o  >:( :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ take care E  :-\

luckily he has such a great work ethic, so that should keep us busy for a while...

Chad Vader

« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2008, 02:21:26 AM »
Chad Vader´s Black Bruce Willis review

Erotic-D; The Black Bruce Willis

Buy the album from CD baby here
and
amazon here

-1 Anatomy Of A Murder
Pretty dope intro that sets the tone of the album.
4 out of 5
-2 Mr. Murderer
A hardcore track,with some heavy guitars.
4 out 5
-3 Before I'm Out
Another hard hitting beat....
4 out 5
-4 Mind Of A Lunatic
Tight,LOVE the pan flute.....
4.5 out of 5
-5 Play With It
ehhhhhhh  :-X no rating
-6 Interlube
Some fun shit,if it's real... it's a memory. If not it's a little corny.  :P no rating
-7 Black With No Money (feat. Christi B.)
Tight,dope beat and lyrics.
4.2 out of 5
-8 G-None Reala (feat. Six2, El Dog, & Nina Ross)
Can't go wrong with 6-2,El-Dog and Erotic on the beat. Shit is tight
4.5 out of 5
-9 Music And Me
Tight beat and storytelling rap,but the hook is ehhhh  :P
3 out of 5
-10 Lesbian Love Affair
Tight beat (love the parts on the 2nd verse),the hook is ehhhh and fucks up the track
2.5 out of 5
-11 Serial Killer
And yes,we're back to some hardcore. Piano,synth and 808 in other words gangster shit. This is how it should sound.
4.5 out of 5
-12 Live By The Gun
Tight....
4 out of 5
-13 Wait A Minute
ehhhh tight beat,but ehhhh no comment or rating  :P
-14 Daddy Don't Leave Me (feat Alize Ali)
straight...
3 out of 5
-15 U Need That (feat. El Dog)
Tight beat and raps,but nothing over the top though
3.5 out 5
-16 No Place (feat. Money Waters)
some laid back shit,nice..
3.5 out of 5
-17 My Girl
The beat,guitar,synth and the hook is nice,don't fit "lunatic murder concept",but by itself it works
3.5 out 5
-18 Payback (feat El Dog)
Ohhh well,I guess DOC will hear this now  :P.
It's a tight track (love the retro synth),but some of the words is a little harsh (go back to to smoking crack...... .....a handicapped rapper can't say shit  :P)
4 out of 5
-19 Don't Go Away (feat Verse)
ehhh no comment or rating  ;)
-20 Porno Star
Nice beat and guitar... a fun track,but again it don't fit. Nice instrumental outro  ;)
3 out of 5

Overall conclusion;
In my opinion he should have been a little stricter with the concept and selection of tracks,I'm sure there's a lot of cats that like those club and "porno" tracks...
He could have spread those tracks out on three albums,a club album,a "porno" album and a "lunatic murderer concept" album... but it is what is.

Overall rating;
3.7 out of 5

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2008, 06:33:51 AM »
nice review Chad; looks like we got our fair share of dope stuff, so that's a relief  8)

anyway, i hope the release of the next E World project goes smoother, because the availability of the black bruce willis is minimal  :-\