Author Topic: Should I go back to college and waste my time and money?  (Read 857 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Should I go back to college and waste my time and money?
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »
I got to make a desicion quick. My fee's are due tomarrow. Over 1,000 dollars to take just 3 classes. The last 3 classes I have to take for an associates degree (which doesn't really do anything, but after that I have another 2 years atleast of degree courses to look forward to).

I already work in hospitals and nursing homes as a Medicine and patient care technician. I don't make much money, but since I live by such small means, I am able to save a little something each month.

But if I go back to college that will waste my time so I won't be able to study the things I'm really interested in (stuff they don't teach in school) and also blow my savings so I won't be able to do things I want to do like travel and study in Muslim countries.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

jeromechickenbone

Re: Should I go back to college and waste my time and money?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »
By the way you're talking it sounds like your mind is made up.  If your attitude is that it is a waste of time and money, then no you shouldn't go.  For me college was the greatest time in my life, so I'd recommend everyone do it.  But I understand it's not for everybody, and if you walk into it thinking it is going to be a waste, then it will be. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
I feel you, man, I'm also wondering what the heck I'm doing there, lol.... fucked up shit. Working trash jobs just to go to college when it doesn't even pay off in the long run, it is sorta crazy. I guess I do it for social acceptance. If that is a non-issue to you in that regard, then yes, don't do it holmes.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Narrator

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 05:37:10 PM »
You don't really strike me as the type who'd get much out of it.  The academic experience in college doesn't really matter much in the long run (other than maybe exposing you to stuff you'd like to either study more post-grad or pursue in a career), but the social experience and academic experience combined are what makes it such a great time for someone when they're young.  Since you won't get much of the former (no drinking, no fucking, no endo, no athletics) and you're a Muslim anyway, not much to bother with.

Also, having an associate's degree means almost nothing in this day and age.  Admittedly, a lot of people in health and medicine have one, but I doubt they're earning much more than someone without one (don't have stats, just going by people I know).

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
First think about what you're planning on doing in the future (career... long-run)... if you're satisfied with what you're doing now, and are okay with doing that for the rest of your life, then don't "waste" your money... but give it some thought.... personally I consider an education very valuable...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

AndrE16686

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:34:41 PM »
Go back to college, get yo qualifications up. Then get a better job, make more dough. 3 years aint shit. Im 3 years into a 6-year degree. Life is a continuous series of mistekes, its all about choosing the best mistakes to make. 

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »
I have tonight to really think and decide.. so I'm reading all of your responses carefully, and appreciate everyone being sincere in this thread.

I'm going to reply individually to each response made so far.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
By the way you're talking it sounds like your mind is made up.  If your attitude is that it is a waste of time and money, then no you shouldn't go.  For me college was the greatest time in my life, so I'd recommend everyone do it.  But I understand it's not for everybody, and if you walk into it thinking it is going to be a waste, then it will be. 

That's a good point.  If I'm already looking at it as a waste, then my subcoscious could ultimately lead me to failure if I attend school.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 06:47:48 PM »
I feel you, man, I'm also wondering what the heck I'm doing there, lol.... fucked up shit. Working trash jobs just to go to college when it doesn't even pay off in the long run, it is sorta crazy. I guess I do it for social acceptance. If that is a non-issue to you in that regard, then yes, don't do it holmes.

Yeah that's true about social acceptance.  For some reason, everyone tells me to go to school, no matter who I ask.  This forum, is the first time I've heard some people say I shouldn't go. 

I hate the social acceptance thing that goes along with college.  I mean, even when I'm at my job, all the people there from staff, to clients, to family of clients, they all ask me about school.  And if I tell them I'm not going they make a long, long pause like I've just told them I'm an alien.  Then they start telling me to do something like go into anesthisia(?) which is like 6 years of school, damn near close to being a doctor!!!!!

They never get it, I hate school, always have thought it was pointless.  If you want to learn anything, you can learn it better outside of school where you can personalize your studies, rather then just learning it in the most general and boring way imaginable.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »
You don't really strike me as the type who'd get much out of it.  The academic experience in college doesn't really matter much in the long run (other than maybe exposing you to stuff you'd like to either study more post-grad or pursue in a career), but the social experience and academic experience combined are what makes it such a great time for someone when they're young.  Since you won't get much of the former (no drinking, no fucking, no endo, no athletics) and you're a Muslim anyway, not much to bother with.

Also, having an associate's degree means almost nothing in this day and age.  Admittedly, a lot of people in health and medicine have one, but I doubt they're earning much more than someone without one (don't have stats, just going by people I know).

Yeah, the social experience of college doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  Yeah, it's possible I will meet people there and everything, but I don't feel like I should take classes and pay all that money just for the chance that I might meet people.

Associates degree might be nice, I guess, it would open a few doors for me, but not many.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 06:57:54 PM »
First think about what you're planning on doing in the future (career... long-run)... if you're satisfied with what you're doing now, and are okay with doing that for the rest of your life, then don't "waste" your money... but give it some thought.... personally I consider an education very valuable...

Actually, for me personally, I guess I'm kind of satisfied with what I'm doing as far as right now, but I don't know if it will be enough in the long run.  It's kind of like a gamble, either way. I know you are into education, because that's one of the big reasons your family probably came to the West, so you would really be looked down upon in your family if you didn't take the oppurtunity to get an education.  Most all the Muslims I deal with, old or young, encourage me to go to school. 

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »
Go back to college, get yo qualifications up. Then get a better job, make more dough. 3 years aint shit. Im 3 years into a 6-year degree. Life is a continuous series of mistekes, its all about choosing the best mistakes to make. 

It's funny you said that thing about making mistakes.  I made a whole thread about that the other day.  I also think life is about making mistakes and choosing the best mistakes to make.  Is school the best mistake I could make though?

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 01:39:23 AM »
I took the stupid class.  I just paid $420.  I figure it's only 8 weeks of time wasted.  And if I work a little overtime I can make that money up in one week.  So anyway... whatever.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 02:10:09 AM »

It's funny you said that thing about making mistakes.  I made a whole thread about that the other day.  I also think life is about making mistakes and choosing the best mistakes to make.  Is school the best mistake I could make though?

Going to school is never a mistake that you will regret. A degree shows an employer that you can see a project through, even if it isn't in the field you want to be in.

Grown Ass Kid

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 02:19:42 AM »
follow the dream bryguy