Author Topic: Russia bashes U.S., tests rocket  (Read 270 times)

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
Russia bashes U.S., tests rocket
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:21:10 AM »
BERLIN, Germany (UPI) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has again lashed out at the West for provoking a new arms race on the day his country tested a massive new rocket that he said can overcome any missile defense system the United States may place in Eastern Europe.

Putin has long bashed Washington for its plans to place 10 bunker-protected rockets in Eastern Europe, arguing it was a threat against Russian territory and provokes a new arms race. At a joint news conference in Moscow Tuesday with Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates, Putin fired another round at the United States.

'We consider it harmful and dangerous to transform Europe into a powder keg and fill it with new forms of weapons,' he said. 'It creates new unnecessary risks for the entire system of international and European relations.'

Yet on the same day, Russia tested its own new weapons system, a strategic RS-24 MIRV intercontinental missile launched from the northeastern Arkhangelsk region. The multiple-warhead missile hit its target on the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Pacific more than 3,700 miles away, Moscow said.

Russia may now also more explicitly portray itself as a global military power to heave Foreign Minister Sergei Ivanov into the top spot in the race for Putin`s successor as Russian president, said Jan-Friedrich Kallmorgen, trans-Atlantic and security expert at the German Council on Foreign Relations, a Berlin-based think tank.

On Tuesday after the successful test, Ivanov said the new missiles were immune to any missile defense system.

'These complexes are capable of overcoming all existing and future missile defense systems,' Ivanov was quoted by the Russian Interfax agency. 'That is why, from the point of view of defense and security, Russians can look into the future calmly.'

Experts say the aggressive rhetoric by Moscow is not much more than a politically motivated muscle-flexing.

'It has been absolutely clear that the 10 planned rockets of the U.S. ballistic missile defense system in Eastern Europe would not impede Russia`s capacity to launch inter-continental missiles, whether they are old or new,' Kallmorgen told United Press International in a telephone interview Wednesday.

'Putin for weeks has turned up the heat in his rhetoric against the West,' Kallmorgen added. 'He knows that the Europeans are not united on Russia.'

Relations between the European Union and Russia have strongly deteriorated in recent months; Putin at a recent EU-Russia summit in Samara clashed with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who holds the rotating EU presidency, because Merkel criticized Moscow for democracy and human rights shortcomings.

Diplomatic rows with Poland, Estonia and Lithuania have only exacerbated EU-Russian ties, also because Poland -- where the U.S. missiles will be stationed -- and the Czech Republic -- where the radar system will be built -- are two former Warsaw Pact countries that have turned to the United States as their man strategic and security ally.

It`s not that the West didn`t make any mistakes dealing with Russia:

'Washington did not act smart to begin with,' he said. 'The issue was debated at the NATO-Russian council, but the Americans could have engaged in confidential talks with Moscow before going public with their plans.'

On the other hand, Kallmorgen said, the United States after Russia`s protests and Europe`s criticism repeatedly made clear and strong offers to be integrated in the system, offers that were all denied. In the past weeks U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates have made trips to Moscow to lobby for the system -- without any success.

It is now in the hands of Europe to strike a balanced note when it comes to dealing with Russia, observers say. Given the strategic importance of Russia as the main energy provider to the EU, it is clear that Moscow won`t be bullied into one-sided concessions. However, observers say the West needs a firm united stance when addressing Moscow on human rights and other issues; otherwise it might be the West being bullied.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/europe/features/article_1311421.php/Russia_bashes_U.S._tests_rocket
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Russia bashes U.S., tests rocket
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:29:57 AM »
as no1 responds...
is that possibly the begining of a new cold war? what are your thoughts on this move from russia?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:48:04 AM by *Z* »
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:48:58 AM »
I think in a way the cold war was good for the world and both USA and USSR - there were 2 ideologies and both sides worked hard to push their ideas - for instance, America was back then more democratic and progressive than it is today. the US is too comfortable being the only power in the world and our government has nobody to check them, so they do anything they want. Either way, these nuclear races aren't actually going to affect us directly, given that using them would destroy the whole world. So, either they're gonna make governments more cautious about what steps they take, or we're just all going to die. The former is much more likely. I think putting the nuclear bases in easter europe is a direct provocation of Russia, so it only makes sense that they react with a retaliation in some form
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »
- for instance, America was back then more democratic and progressive than it is today.

i highly doubt that america was back then more democratic than it is now. the cold war was used as a pretext to spend more money on military expenditures and it was used to raise taxes. that was done in favour of the powerful and privileged, the population was used as a tool, the population was the one to suffer from the outcomes and the process.
in russia it was used just as much to mobilize the population under the existing totalitarian leadership.
tho the regimes of these two states were different, both of them did the same thing: exploiting the population for the purposes of those in power.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:33:00 AM by *Z* »
[J-Live]

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 10:20:46 AM »
as no1 responses...
is that possibly the begining of a new cold war? what are your thoughts on this move from russia?

no not another cold war but the beginnings of world war 3, if russia is provoked by us by an arms race and relationships r stormy wit the US than y not it would be india,china,russia,northkorea vs all of us

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 01:55:11 PM »
I thought China was the biggest threat.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 02:50:50 PM »

well, i actually thought saddam hussein was the biggest threat not only to the US (becuz the USA is worried about other countries in very first place!) but also to the entire world!!!
[J-Live]

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »

well, i actually thought saddam hussein was the biggest threat not only to the US (becuz the USA is worried about other countries in very first place!) but also to the entire world!!!
Hmm...so USA is the most scarriest country in the world?
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

AndrE16686

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 08:34:15 PM »
 Both countries already have 1,000 plus nuclear missiles. So pointless, Putin should be spending money on infastructure so his people can get their paper up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:12:54 PM by The Overfiend »

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »
- for instance, America was back then more democratic and progressive than it is today.

i highly doubt that america was back then more democratic than it is now. the cold war was used as a pretext to spend more money on military expenditures and it was used to raise taxes. that was done in favour of the powerful and privileged, the population was used as a tool, the population was the one to suffer from the outcomes and the process.
in russia it was used just as much to mobilize the population under the existing totalitarian leadership.
tho the regimes of these two states were different, both of them did the same thing: exploiting the population for the purposes of those in power.

Haha, what the fuck you think is going on today?

funny guy

Anyway, no WWIII unless Israel gets bombed the fuck out of, which is, in my opinion, something that might happen in the light of all the fucked up shit their government has done over the years. Remember, terrorism exists for a reason
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »

Haha, what the fuck you think is going on today?

ive never said that what is going on in todays America is somehwhat more democratic, i just refuted your comment saying that back then the United States were more democratic than now, which is not true.

funny guy

Anyway, no WWIII unless Israel gets bombed the fuck out of, which is, in my opinion, something that might happen in the light of all the fucked up shit their government has done over the years. Remember, terrorism exists for a reason

okay, you must have gotten me wrong. i was completely cynical about Saddam Hussein, i thought it was clear- my bad
[J-Live]

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »
funny guy

...and im not a goddamn guy!
[J-Live]