Author Topic: Will Dr Dre ever produce somebody else top to bottom?  (Read 992 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: Will Dr Dre ever produce somebody else top to bottom?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 12:32:57 PM »
Personally, I don't even think it's about money. I can't explain why I feel he wouldn't produce an albu from top to bottom...but I feel that he wouldn't do it, even if he was offered the money by someone else.

With Detox...I'm sure he'll be at least co-producing every song. But as it's already been said, there's been speculation to how much he "produced" since Chronic, and it really depends on what definition you give it. If you'd say that he produced Doggystyle entirely, even with Warren and Daz coming up with a few of the original melodies and Dre "producing" the entire song with all the other elements...then that might be possible. But if you feel that he didn't entirely produce that album by himself, or even 2001 because of the musicians he had on there...then of course, it's completely impossible. In my opinion, he produced Doggystyle and 2001 (aside from The Message), even though I'm sure there were songs that he really just mixed or added a few sounds to, and may not have had anything to do with the initial creation process on them.

Being a producer though, I really want to see how some of those beats were created from start to finish, with the other musicians and everyone else working on them.

Allpaul

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 11:23:37 AM »
On every type of music except rap, a producer is expected to gets the sounds & shapes the direction of the session while the artist brings in the initial song idea. It may consist of just a verse and chorus & a chord progression with the producer helping shape it and write additional parts, or a fully realized idea with the producer just adding a few bells & whistles and making sure the shit's coming out straight.

One thing I hardly ever see anyone talk about on here is the  producers job to bring out the best in an artist. I've heard alot of dope beats from other producers, sometimes very "Dre like" beats where an artist is just spitting boring, uninspired shit. It seems to me that the producer can't  control, or is so happy to have a big shit star in the studio, that they just let them have free reign. You never hear that on a Dre production. That's what it's all about IMO, bringing out the best in an artist..... REAL producing.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 11:27:30 AM »
He would if he could. :P

DRYLBC

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:04 AM »
Fuck Dre nowadays, there's lots of better producers, check for some down south cats like Manni Fresh, DJ Paul & Juicy J etc.

???

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
True.

In a sense:  Hip hop producer is to rapper as Movie director is to actor.

Remember that for the SATs all you young bucks.  8)
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 10:47:59 PM »
Werent any of Eminem's albums?

No cause Em produced a few tracks himself on each of his albums.

XaNdEr

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 10:54:59 PM »
Fuck Dre nowadays, there's lots of better producers, check for some down south cats like Manni Fresh, DJ Paul & Juicy J etc.

???

What is so unclear about what i said? I don't think it has any double meaning. Take it how you want though.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 11:36:43 PM »

I've heard alot of work from all the cats you name here, and seriously their drums are TIRED. They got those tappy tappy program drums that reminds me of when black kids in high school would make beats tapping their pens/pencils against desks when they were bored in class. but outside of drums, those cats is ok/aight imo. definitely ain't dre.

anyway, all that ruthless shit/doggstyle/chronic etc. IS all dre. despite who did the musical ideas/work(who should credited, i think, no doubt) dre coordinates it all and gives it context(as well as coaxing the performance out of the vocalist, which most producers don't do), as well as giving it that crisp clear sound.

can't beliece dre mixed that whole Jay album.

anyway, it's still in him, but let me put it this way: as long as other artists desire for him to appear vocally on music he will not produce whole albums.  Look at quincy jones...how old was he when thriller and off the wall were made? a couple years older than dre.

Quincy Jones was FIFTY when he produced THRILLER. Imagine what Dre will be producing at age 50? Dear christ.

Noone was asking for a hot trumpet line or verse from Quincy when he was 50l, but they sure as hell wanted his input on the album. Dre will be as focused in his late 40's/early 50's I bet.

anyway, the possible impossible is said to be produced by dre, storch and mel-man...that should be sick if it happens, which it won't.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 12:22:13 AM »
Well if you've got 200,000-400,000 to spend specifically for a beat, I dont see why he wouldnt.  ::)

Lol forreal. Even if an artist is signed to Aftermath thats still a lot of fuckin money for him to do the album.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 01:20:24 AM »
I don't want to hate on Dre, but really, I don't think Dre could produce a good album, top to bottom, 16 tracks. He's a ringer, like Storch. He's just a name now. Sure Dre can produce a full album if his name is on the cover, like 2001, or Detox (hopefully), but could you honestly see 16 Dre produced tracks for 50 or Stat, or Em. I don't think Dre could pull it off.

Thats why Quik, IMO, is a great producer. How many near classic albums has Quik produced top to bottom for his friends, 5, 6, 7? Quik can easily make a quality album top to bottom. A 16 track Dre produced album doesn't have the same appeal as it did 15 years ago. Dre tracks stick out, you look for them, you expect everyone to be perfect, but 16 perfect tracks, no one in music can pull off.

XaNdEr

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 01:24:30 AM »

I've heard alot of work from all the cats you name here, and seriously their drums are TIRED. They got those tappy tappy program drums that reminds me of when black kids in high school would make beats tapping their pens/pencils against desks when they were bored in class. but outside of drums, those cats is ok/aight imo. definitely ain't dre.

anyway, all that ruthless shit/doggstyle/chronic etc. IS all dre. despite who did the musical ideas/work(who should credited, i think, no doubt) dre coordinates it all and gives it context(as well as coaxing the performance out of the vocalist, which most producers don't do), as well as giving it that crisp clear sound.

anyway, it's still in him, but let me put it this way: as long as other artists desire for him to appear vocally on music he will not produce whole albums.  Look at quincy jones...how old was he when thriller and off the wall were made? a couple years older than dre.

Quincy Jones was FIFTY when he produced THRILLER. Imagine what Dre will be producing at age 50? Dear christ.

Noone was asking for a hot trumpet line or verse from Quincy when he was 50l, but they sure as hell wanted his input on the album. Dre will be as focused in his late 40's/early 50's I bet.

anyway, the possible impossible is said to be produced by dre, storch and mel-man...that should be sick if it happens, which it won't.

-T

I have to disagree with you T, i got respect for you, and your opinion, but all Dre does is take the credit from someone else who deserves it more.

If Dre acknowledged Daz and Warren G's work on The Chronic and Doggystyle, then they both would have a much bigger status in the industry nowadays. Tell me where are they at now?

Daz is grindin' independantly and i haven't heard of Warren G in a while now. Dre is a fool, he let someone else come up with ideas, make a beat and/or play instruments, and then mixes it and say he produced it. That's fuckin stealing other people's work.

And @ the producers i named, i can see you're not really a big fan of them, but i take a DJ Paul & Juicy J beta nowadays over a Dr. Dre beat. Come on, what is the last good Dre beat you heard? Last songs he produced (Young Buck, Jay-Z, Snoop etc.) were aight, but nothing new or groundbreaking, i would call them "tired" as well.

It's cool you have a different taste though, it is the reason we can discuss it and talk about it, so that's ok with me. +1

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 01:59:48 AM »

-T

I have to disagree with you T, i got respect for you, and your opinion, but all Dre does is take the credit from someone else who deserves it more.

If Dre acknowledged Daz and Warren G's work on The Chronic and Doggystyle, then they both would have a much bigger status in the industry nowadays. Tell me where are they at now?

Daz is grindin' independantly and i haven't heard of Warren G in a while now. Dre is a fool, he let someone else come up with ideas, make a beat and/or play instruments, and then mixes it and say he produced it. That's fuckin stealing other people's work.

And @ the producers i named, i can see you're not really a big fan of them, but i take a DJ Paul & Juicy J beta nowadays over a Dr. Dre beat. Come on, what is the last good Dre beat you heard? Last songs he produced (Young Buck, Jay-Z, Snoop etc.) were aight, but nothing new or groundbreaking, i would call them "tired" as well.

It's cool you have a different taste though, it is the reason we can discuss it and talk about it, so that's ok with me. +1

of course man, +1

anyway, I really like those new Game tracks he did like wonderful life.

I also like murder these murderers and the other piano/string stuff he is doing lately and I feel it's very new and very much his.

anyway, every producer uses musicians ideas. if they didn't they would be called musicians and not producers. they coordinate it all, and make sure everyone involved makes the shit come out right.

to me the definition of a producer can best be explained like this: listen to a demo of a song that an artist records: the melody is there, the lyrics are there. the basic song is there, but the polished final studio version of the track will be quite different and more conventionally presentable in a more universally digestible form. Producer didn't add music to it, didn't rewrite the lyrics or anything...but they made it come out right. dre doesn't claim to do anything more than that.

dre gave plenty of shine to daz and warren g and he gave warren g beats two leftover doggystyle beats for regulate...g-funk era and gave warren g the credit for them, despite the fact that dre probably had something to do with it.

alot of cats think dre ghost produced some of dogg food as well.

there's 2 sides to all that.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

tempo2

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 02:13:02 AM »
^^ good post! also i have to laugh at the argument that dre stole daz's work for doggystyle and the chronic when its quite clear and has been mentioned by snoop that dre was heavily involved in the making of "doggfood". you must be a smuck if you cant hear dre on that record.

also i agree with tanj its the final "mix" that sepeartes dre form the likes of daz and other hot produces his sound is so polished and so many years ahead of the likes of the producers mentioned earlier. also if daz was so good why hasnt he been able to stay at the top of his game after "producing" records like doggystlye? shit he must of fallen harder then a mutherfucka.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 03:28:57 AM »
Nowadays, I'd rather have Dre mixing an album than producing one. Unlike most producers these days, Dre can hear how a song is SUPPOSED to sound rather than how they WANT it to sound.

I haven't been impressed with Dre's beats as of late, but there is no doubt that he has a true ear for music. You can only do so much with any particular sound on a beat, but there are millions of ways you can put everything together, and that is where Dre excels at.

Nasty Nem

• 'G'
  • HOV
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 03:42:09 AM »
dre is a genius, like dupri, diddy, timbo and quincy, they don't do ALL the work, but they MAKE it work

this is the reason why daz aint shit without dre, so he went to SOSODEF because dupri can take daz's sound and take it to that next level, like dre did

i can't believe people still question dre, like his record doesn't speak for itself, west coast heads are never happy, bunch of crying cunts, who don't check for an artist when they blow up too big.. chicago would be more relevant in hip hop than l.a had it not been for dre

on the east they worship premo, show some damn respect

perfect example, whoever here has 'thriller' look at the album credits, quincy jones didn't play any instruments, but people still bring up his name like he produced the whole album in his basement, he may not have done much with his hands, but his vision and ear for good music created a classic album

dre has done this with n.w.a/eazy/snoop/himself/d.o.c

to answer the topic, no i don't think we'll ever see a big name producer do a whole album top-to-bottom, that hasn't happened consistantly for years.

and ya don't stop