Author Topic: Can God commit suicide?  (Read 899 times)

sonofisis

• Muthafuckin' OG
Can God commit suicide?
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:53:28 PM »
This is a fascinating  question to me with an interesting paradox. I'm looking for insight as I've been pondering lately on whether or not it should be possible for God to kill himself. We know that by definition God is omnipotent(all powerful),  it is apparent however, that if this were to be true, then God would indeed be undestroyable and able to create/destroy anything at the same time as by definition there is no limit to what he can do.. Now, given that, is it theoretically possible that God(being almighty as he is) would have the capability to kill himself, or since he is undestroyable, is that out of the question? And if it is out of the question wouldn't this mean that God has limits and is therefore not omnipotent/all powerful? Something to think about, any replies are welcome.. 8)
Mistah FAB "Ghost Ride It"

MC TenderLust

Re: Can God commit suicide?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:32:24 PM »
nigga i dont think god is some dude posted up in the sky, god is like some energy force that runs through everything in the universe so nah i dont think "he" could "kill" "himself"

sonofisis

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:19:29 PM »
^Interesting take, but are you suggesting that God is incapable of cancelling out or destroying energy?

AndrE16686

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
I don't think we can define God within terms of power. What is power? Power to create and destroy? Black holes can destroy anything, yet they are nothing within the context of the Universe. Nebulae give birth to thousands of star clusters, yet again they are nothing within the context of the infinite immensity of the Universe.

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »
I see you just started Philosophy 101. I hated that class. Pseudo-intellectuals.

Chief

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31:50 PM »
why would god want to kill himself?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 04:50:13 AM »
Now, of course God doesn't exist and everything, but hypothetically speaking of course he would be able to destroy himself. A great warrior who can't be fucked with still can slit his damn throat if he wants to. Just because nothing else can destroy him doesn't mean he can't... but I think it is pretty retarded actually, that's like asking if God can make french fries that are so damn hot that not even he himself can eat them. LOL.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

sonofisis

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
Now, of course God doesn't exist and everything, but hypothetically speaking of course he would be able to destroy himself. A great warrior who can't be fucked with still can slit his damn throat if he wants to. Just because nothing else can destroy him doesn't mean he can't... but I think it is pretty retarded actually, that's like asking if God can make french fries that are so damn hot that not even he himself can eat them. LOL.

You either did not get the gist of what was being asked, or simply don't have a clear understanding on what the word "omnipotence" means. It wasn't a stupid question that can be easily answered, which is why I was looking for insight.

Actually, I did not know until earlier this morning when I started doing google searches on it, that wikipedia actually has an article covering the Omnipotence paradox..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »
why would god want to kill himself?
Not really relevent.

Facez

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
i dont think that God can commit suicide; (these are my thoughts)

1st reason is because he is good and why would good want to kill itself, 2nd because God is the highest authority and death doesnt have any power over him, and 3rd because death is a creation, it only exists on earth even when we die (in our flesh) on earth we live forever in the spirit either in heaven or hell. death can kill god cuz thats like saying can a human (which is a creation) kill god. outside this world there is life because as i stated before God is life (life is something that wasnt created) it existed at the begining. that is why god says that he is the alpha and omega.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:47:22 PM »

You either did not get the gist of what was being asked, or simply don't have a clear understanding on what the word "omnipotence" means. It wasn't a stupid question that can be easily answered, which is why I was looking for insight.

Actually, I did not know until earlier this morning when I started doing google searches on it, that wikipedia actually has an article covering the Omnipotence paradox..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox

Actually, I understood perfectly what was going on and you didn't understand what I said. Actually I have read stuff written by Descartes. Stop making a fool out of yourself.

Edit: Now that I have looked at that link you gave us, here's what I've found:

The omnipotence paradox has infiltrated popular culture. In an episode of popular US animated series The Simpsons entitled 'Weekend at Burnsie's', Homer asks rhetorically, "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?".

Here's a quote taken from my 1st post in this thread:

[...]that's like asking if God can make french fries that are so damn hot that not even he himself can eat them.

See the similarity? Good.

Now, whether the question is "stupid" or not can of course be debated. I wasn't trying to aggrieve you, sorry if that happened.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:53:22 PM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sparegeez

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 05:44:23 PM »
I think the question we need to answer before we answer this is "What is god?"

sonofisis

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:57 PM »
^^Why should we have to discuss that if I already drew the parameters for this thread? He's an "omnipotent" being..

I don't think we can define God within terms of power. What is power? Power to create and destroy? Black holes can destroy anything, yet they are nothing within the context of the Universe. Nebulae give birth to thousands of star clusters, yet again they are nothing within the context of the infinite immensity of the Universe.

Again, I'm only concerned with God as an omnipotent being..

i dont think that God can commit suicide; (these are my thoughts)

1st reason is because he is good and why would good want to kill itself,

^I love this response.. Indeed, God has free will but his will is not to Kill/destroy life energy... Good one..

2nd because God is the highest authority and death doesnt have any power over him,

I can make sense of this by applying it to your first response..

and 3rd because death is a creation, it only exists on earth even when we die (in our flesh) on earth we live forever in the spirit either in heaven or hell. death can't kill god cuz thats like saying can a human (which is a creation) kill god. outside this world there is life because as i stated before God is life (life is something that wasnt created) it existed at the begining. that is why god says that he is the alpha and omega.

Most beautiful response yet. I didn't sit and think of it in that way. With death being a creation that is equatable to human beings themselves, therefore neither one can affect God as God created them both. I was also thinking myself that it doesn't have to be a paradox because if(big if) God were indeed able to destroy its self,  then it should be able to bring its self back into existence(excuse the impersonal language, but of course God doesn't have a gender).. Quality reply..

Quote from: 7even
Actually, I understood perfectly what was going on and you didn't understand what I said. Actually I have read stuff written by Descartes. Stop making a fool out of yourself.

There is no possible way to infer that I made a fool of myself by alluding to your lack of comprehension. In fact, it seems even more apparent now that you feel a need to save face/pride.

Edit: Now that I have looked at that link you gave us, here's what I've found:

"The omnipotence paradox has infiltrated popular culture. In an episode of popular US animated series The Simpsons entitled 'Weekend at Burnsie's', Homer asks rhetorically, "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?"

Here's a quote taken from my 1st post in this thread:

"that's like asking if God can make french fries that are so damn hot that not even he himself can eat them"

See the similarity? Good.

Your point is mute and this is a Straw Man; you also conveniently quote yourself out of context with the wiki article to give the illusion as if what you say coincides with it, which is sort of pathetic. This is what you actually said and what I directly responded to.

Now, of course God doesn't exist and everything, but hypothetically speaking of course he would be able to destroy himself. A great warrior who can't be fucked with still can slit his damn throat if he wants to. Just because nothing else can destroy him doesn't mean he can't... but I think it is pretty retarded actually

You say Of course he wouldn't be able to destroy him self with out giving an adequate answer as to why, and compare him to a mortal warrior. This immediately leads me to question how you're defining omnipotent. Then you call the question retarded even though you were not able to adequately answer this retarded question. smh..

Now, whether the question is "stupid" or not can of course be debated.
No it cannot be debated because it is a seemingly clear paradox that only sound minds are able to tackle(this is where you've failed)..

I wasn't trying to aggrieve you, sorry if that happened.

??? Don't flatter your self pal, lol..

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:28 PM »
God can't live and die.  He can't commit suicide.  He is eternal, absolute, and Infnite.  But some religions have deviated from this truth, like in Christianity for example, Paul started teaching that Jesus, a human, was actually a God.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »
God can't live and die.  He can't commit suicide.  He is eternal, absolute, and Infnite.  But some religions have deviated from this truth, like in Christianity for example, Paul started teaching that Jesus, a human, was actually a God.

I have more problems with Paul than you do but even in Matthew it's shown that Jesus was worshipped. Let's not even get into John.