Author Topic: Can God commit suicide?  (Read 901 times)

Chief

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Can God commit suicide?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 04:31:26 AM »
sonofisis, why have you responded to that? lol...
I quoted myself out of context? do you have to rely on retarded claims as the foundation for your irrational assumptions? it really is sort of sad that I have to explain everything I say for you to grasp it. I feel like a teacher who went into the wrong room and finds himself in a special ed class. do you honestly think I "couldn't grasp" the paradox? that is absurd. nigga just because I don't analyse the paradox neatly and give you props for that dope question or something, doesn't mean I didn't grasp it. actually it is quite unrealistic to not grasp it because it is not very hard to grasp, especially for somebody who studies philosophy in an elite university and has to put up with the views of men who died hundreds of years ago on retarded constructions such as this question.

ok, here's my take on why the mortal warrior part was actually not ignoring an accurate definition of omnipotent. I didn't think it was necessary, as it is not really that deep or anything, but for slow learners such as yourself it might be. for the people, god is so powerful and shit, they can't grasp his power because it goes beyond their imagination. there is nothing they can grasp that he can't do. or so they think. now, as with god, a great warrior who can't be defeated doesn't exist neither, but in tales they do. imagine someone like achilles only without that vulnerable spot in the leg. fine. nobody would be able to beat him in a battle, but he would definitely be able to kill himself. that is the case for 2 reasons: being omnipotent is always a matter of perception. as conceived in the feeble minds of the inferior people, their greatest warrior can't be fucked with. such like god can't be fucked with. like a great warrior, god is so much more powerful than the average believer, that in comparison to them he seems to be omnipotent which leads to them thinking the way they do. but what would the great warrior be amoungst warriors just as great? what would god be amoungst other equally powerful gods? would they still be omnipotent? if so, what would happen in a fight? it doesn't work. now, as it is about him killing himself, it can be seen as the same thing as an equally powerful god killing him. like an equally powerful warrior killing the warrior. for what the slave perceives the warrior as, the warrior is unfuckwitable. for the preacher god is unfuckwitable. but that is only how it is conceived in their minds, as they don't know anything else that comes anywhere close to them in matters of power and therefore omnipotence.
another reason for god to be able to kill himself despite his omnipotence would be that a being that is capable of everything should be able to do anyfuckingthing it wants. that includes committing suicide. why wouldn't an all-mighty being be able to kill itself? it doesn't make sense to me lmao. how is not being able to do something (e.g. killing yourself) a part of being omnipotent? doesn't make any sense does it. in your feeble mind you might think that being omnipotent requires being indestructable. that is not entirely true. indestructable by someone inferior, yes. but only because the omnipotent being is that much more powerful, not because it is universally indestructable to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:37:48 AM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Raphael

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 06:30:41 AM »
 :sleep:

Chief

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 07:07:33 AM »
I quoted myself out of context? do you have to rely on retarded claims as the foundation for your irrational assumptions? it really is sort of sad that I have to explain everything I say for you to grasp it. I feel like a teacher who went into the wrong room and finds himself in a special ed class. do you honestly think I "couldn't grasp" the paradox? that is absurd. nigga just because I don't analyse the paradox neatly and give you props for that dope question or something, doesn't mean I didn't grasp it. actually it is quite unrealistic to not grasp it because it is not very hard to grasp, especially for somebody who studies philosophy in an elite university and has to put up with the views of men who died hundreds of years ago on retarded constructions such as this question.

ok, here's my take on why the mortal warrior part was actually not ignoring an accurate definition of omnipotent. I didn't think it was necessary, as it is not really that deep or anything, but for slow learners such as yourself it might be. for the people, god is so powerful and shit, they can't grasp his power because it goes beyond their imagination. there is nothing they can grasp that he can't do. or so they think. now, as with god, a great warrior who can't be defeated doesn't exist neither, but in tales they do. imagine someone like achilles only without that vulnerable spot in the leg. fine. nobody would be able to beat him in a battle, but he would definitely be able to kill himself. that is the case for 2 reasons: being omnipotent is always a matter of perception. as conceived in the feeble minds of the inferior people, their greatest warrior can't be fucked with. such like god can't be fucked with. like a great warrior, god is so much more powerful than the average believer, that in comparison to them he seems to be omnipotent which leads to them thinking the way they do. but what would the great warrior be amoungst warriors just as great? what would god be amoungst other equally powerful gods? would they still be omnipotent? if so, what would happen in a fight? it doesn't work. now, as it is about him killing himself, it can be seen as the same thing as an equally powerful god killing him. like an equally powerful warrior killing the warrior. for what the slave perceives the warrior as, the warrior is unfuckwitable. for the preacher god is unfuckwitable. but that is only how it is conceived in their minds, as they don't know anything else that comes anywhere close to them in matters of power and therefore omnipotence.
another reason for god to be able to kill himself despite his omnipotence would be that a being that is capable of everything should be able to do anyfuckingthing it wants. that includes committing suicide. why wouldn't an all-mighty being be able to kill itself? it doesn't make sense to me lmao. how is not being able to do something (e.g. killing yourself) a part of being omnipotent? doesn't make any sense does it. in your feeble mind you might think that being omnipotent requires being indestructable. that is not entirely true. indestructable by someone inferior, yes. but only because the omnipotent being is that much more powerful, not because it is universally indestructable to begin with.

crazy karma

Elevz

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 07:17:41 AM »
a being that is capable of everything should be able to do anyfuckingthing it wants. that includes committing suicide. why wouldn't an all-mighty being be able to kill itself? it doesn't make sense to me lmao. how is not being able to do something (e.g. killing yourself) a part of being omnipotent? doesn't make any sense does it. in your feeble mind you might think that being omnipotent requires being indestructable. that is not entirely true. indestructable by someone inferior, yes. but only because the omnipotent being is that much more powerful, not because it is universally indestructable to begin with.

I don't know why it took you so long to get to that point, but that I agree with. If it were for true omnipotence, not for conceived omnipotence, how could there be multiple omnipotent beings at all? Wouldn't they limit the omnipotence of one another?

Cosigned and propped.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 10:11:39 AM »
No

1. You have to distinguish humans and their attributes from God's. God as a being is inconceivable to us. Time, life, death, pain, etc... none of that shit may even apply to God... those things may not even exist in God's realm... he may just have created the notions for humans. Just because one can use force/power to kill a human, doesn't mean the same is possible to result in the "death" of God. God created the concept of death... for humans.

2. When you pose a question of that sort, you'd have to look at more than just one attribute. For example, in Islam, another of God's attributes/names is Al-Baaqi (The Everlasting, The One that the state of non-existence is impossible for Him).... so to a Muslim, that would be a sufficient explanation.

3. One will then argue: well if God is omnipotent and can do anything, then he should be able to kill himself... but the fallacy lies in the assumption that death is even possible for God in the first place. It's like asking "Can God make a three sided square?"... "Can God make it so that 1 is greater than 2?". Logic limits omnipotence.

my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Chief

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

1. You have to distinguish humans and their attributes from God's. God as a being is inconceivable to us. Time, life, death, pain, etc... none of that shit may even apply to God... those things may not even exist in God's realm... he may just have created the notions for humans. Just because one can use force/power to kill a human, doesn't mean the same is possible to result in the "death" of God. God created the concept of death... for humans.

so wouldnt christianity make sense in that regard?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:46 AM »

Can you be more specific as to what you're talking about?
I'm assuming you're referring to Jesus being God (correct me if I'm wrong), but if that's the case, then no, it's not the same thing.
Jesus was human, he lived amongst humans, he was constrained to time and space just like everyone else, he ate food for survival, etc...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Facez

• 'G'
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 12:00:44 PM »
God can't live and die.  He can't commit suicide.  He is eternal, absolute, and Infnite.  But some religions have deviated from this truth, like in Christianity for example, Paul started teaching that Jesus, a human, was actually a God.

I have more problems with Paul than you do but even in Matthew it's shown that Jesus was worshipped. Let's not even get into John.

it is hard for a lot of non-chrisitians misinformed people to understand how Jesus can be God. so i am going to try and explain it hopefully you will understand

Christians believe Jesus was god but believe he is the son of man (a human), so how can he be both? does the bible contradict itself thats probably what a lot of misinformed people would think because they lack knowledge of the bible.

there is a principal in the bible that  people are spirit beings who posses an earthly suit (a body/flesh). our flesh is born of this world this side is weak, this is the side that: feels pain, cries, lusts etc, it desires food to live. the spirit gives life to the body it is where we get our ability to acquire knowledge, speak, and basically live. even though our flesh side is weak it overpowers the spirit and since we were born our flesh side trains our spirit on how to think what to do therefore making the spirit side weak, that is why a lot of us are weak and desire things of the world.

in order for gods will to be carried out on earth he needed a body. When Jesus was born instead of him being fully human and having a weak spirit and then eventually sinning god became his spirit and lived inside of him so that his spirit was strong from birth and so that hes flesh wouldn't over power him and cause him to sin.

here is an example from the bible from 1 Timothy 3:16

(16)And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

even though Jesus had God spirit inside of him he still had a human side because he was born of a woman (that is why he cried, grieved, and had to eat). because Jesus had a human side he had to train it with the word of God and d walk in godliness (reading the bible from a young age, going to synagogues, fasting etc) so that he would fall into not sin (walking in the flesh).

in order for people to live a Godly life the have to something called being born of the spirit this is basically being "born again" which is a renewal of your spirit to a Godly one (which is stronger than the flesh) and then basically doing what Jesus did (read the word of god, fasted, avoided sin, going to synagogues/church) in order to feed your spirit so that you do not fall into sin

John 3:5 (5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God

why? because John3:6 says: (6)That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit"

i hope you understood that.

thanks for the responses Sonofisis. this is an interesting thread/topic

Narrator

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »
I am GOD.  And I will not commit suicide.  I will, however, kill lots of crackers.

AndrE16686

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »

it is hard for a lot of non-chrisitians misinformed people to understand how Jesus can be God. so i am going to try and explain it hopefully you will understand

Christians believe Jesus was god but believe he is the son of man (a human), so how can he be both? does the bible contradict itself thats probably what a lot of misinformed people would think because they lack knowledge of the bible.

there is a principal in the bible that  people are spirit beings who posses an earthly suit (a body/flesh). our flesh is born of this world this side is weak, this is the side that: feels pain, cries, lusts etc, it desires food to live. the spirit gives life to the body it is where we get our ability to acquire knowledge, speak, and basically live. even though our flesh side is weak it overpowers the spirit and since we were born our flesh side trains our spirit on how to think what to do therefore making the spirit side weak, that is why a lot of us are weak and desire things of the world.

in order for gods will to be carried out on earth he needed a body. When Jesus was born instead of him being fully human and having a weak spirit and then eventually sinning god became his spirit and lived inside of him so that his spirit was strong from birth and so that hes flesh wouldn't over power him and cause him to sin.

here is an example from the bible from 1 Timothy 3:16

(16)And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

even though Jesus had God spirit inside of him he still had a human side because he was born of a woman (that is why he cried, grieved, and had to eat). because Jesus had a human side he had to train it with the word of God and d walk in godliness (reading the bible from a young age, going to synagogues, fasting etc) so that he would fall into not sin (walking in the flesh).

in order for people to live a Godly life the have to something called being born of the spirit this is basically being "born again" which is a renewal of your spirit to a Godly one (which is stronger than the flesh) and then basically doing what Jesus did (read the word of god, fasted, avoided sin, going to synagogues/church) in order to feed your spirit so that you do not fall into sin

John 3:5 (5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God

why? because John3:6 says: (6)That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit"

i hope you understood that.

thanks for the responses Sonofisis. this is an interesting thread/topic

Props man, I enjoyed that. Ive wondering why for a long time why some people (Sufis, Rastafarians, Wu-tang) say God is a living man.

Chief

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 01:18:55 AM »

Can you be more specific as to what you're talking about?
I'm assuming you're referring to Jesus being God (correct me if I'm wrong), but if that's the case, then no, it's not the same thing.
Jesus was human, he lived amongst humans, he was constrained to time and space just like everyone else, he ate food for survival, etc...

nah, what i meant is communicating to god through jesus.

sonofisis

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 01:59:09 AM »

This is obviously full of double talk, cop-outs, and lies as it took you eons after conducting original research by way of google and the wiki link that I provided for you to even address the question, and as you will see, you still have not adequately addressed it as Facez has. You have an apparent incapacity to comprehend and apply what you say logically in order to give your drawn out explanation some type of cohesion. Taking into consideration your unusual analogy about a teacher entering a classroom for special ed, inversely it seems as if you've flunked special ed. You try so desperately to save face and spin your position that any sound mind can tell that you are merely a fraud atheist that doesn't know anything.

ok, here's my take on why the mortal warrior part was actually not ignoring an accurate definition of omnipotent. I didn't think it was necessary, as it is not really that deep or anything, but for slow learners such as yourself it might be. for the people, god is so powerful and shit, they can't grasp his power because it goes beyond their imagination. there is nothing they can grasp that he can't do. or so they think. now, as with god, a great warrior who can't be defeated doesn't exist neither, but in tales they do. imagine someone like achilles only without that vulnerable spot in the leg. fine. nobody would be able to beat him in a battle, but he would definitely be able to kill himself. that is the case for 2 reasons: being omnipotent is always a matter of perception. as conceived in the feeble minds of the inferior people, their greatest warrior can't be fucked with. such like god can't be fucked with. like a great warrior, god is so much more powerful than the average believer, that in comparison to them he seems to be omnipotent which leads to them thinking the way they do. but what would the great warrior be amoungst warriors just as great? what would god be amoungst other equally powerful gods? would they still be omnipotent? if so, what would happen in a fight? it doesn't work. now, as it is about him killing himself, it can be seen as the same thing as an equally powerful god killing him. like an equally powerful warrior killing the warrior. for what the slave perceives the warrior as, the warrior is unfuckwitable. for the preacher god is unfuckwitable. but that is only how it is conceived in their minds, as they don't know anything else that comes anywhere close to them in matters of power and therefore omnipotence. another reason for god to be able to kill himself despite his omnipotence would be that a being that is capable of everything should be able to do anyfuckingthing it wants. that includes committing suicide. why wouldn't an all-mighty being be able to kill itself? it doesn't make sense to me lmao. how is not being able to do something (e.g. killing yourself) a part of being omnipotent? doesn't make any sense does it. in your feeble mind you might think that being omnipotent requires being indestructable. that is not entirely true. indestructable by someone inferior, yes. but only because the omnipotent being is that much more powerful, not because it is universally indestructable to begin with.

This is so utterly falsified and ridiculous and ultimately makes you look like a total buffoon as you cannot even come to grips with simple word definitions. The most widely circulated definition of Omnipotent as it applies to God is "all powerful/eternal"(all mighty), you are applying a definition of "relatively more powerful", which is absurd as it pertains to the literal interpretation of the paradox presented(wikipedia covers 4 angles, I cover 1). All powerful = indestructible as much as it means eternal, eternal meaning deathless, so God should not be able to kill himself under the circumstances which you grant him. But at the same time he should because he is "all powerful"! Although again, "Facez" has proposed a logical answer to the paradox as far as I'm concerned, even while taking these variables into consideration(you haven't). You make absolutely no sense and it is simply too late for you to start saving face now as you have been busted, your incompetence exposed. Please either participate in the engagement/interaction or let other people discuss this if it is too confusing, but do not come here trying to feign intellectualism as the dishonesty sticks out like frozen nipples.  ::)
Mistah FAB "Ghost Ride It"

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 03:54:18 AM »
^What you don't get is, to me religious answers are the cop-outs. They just "believe" in something and then it's done with. You either didn't understand my post or/and tried your best to discredit it because your afrocentric ass hates me. Either way you are blatantly biased and more open to an answer involving spirituality and shit. And stop your invalid assumptions they don't make you look any better.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 06:05:06 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I thought this was a discussion about the possible fallacy of the possibility of omnipotence. Then what difference does it make in what way the gospel of Timothy portrays God's identity - that has little to do with the question, or has it? The rational possible existance of omnipotence can only be explained through ratio, not through Timothy's conceptions of spirituality.

So if the question is really about omnipotence, and not about God's identity, I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

om·nip·o·tent (ŏm-nĭp'ə-tənt) pronunciation
adj.

Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.

http://www.answers.com/omnipotent

All powerful = indestructible as much as it means eternal, eternal meaning deathless, so God should not be able to kill himself under the circumstances which you grant him. But at the same time he should because he is "all powerful"!

If omnipotence means being all-powerful, indestructible, eternal and deathless at the same time, omnipotence is simply non-existant, for reasons you just pointed out: they're contradictive. But why should an omnipotent being be deathless, indestructable or eternal, let alone all three at the same time? Are these not simply your own conceptions of the word - your subjective view, instead of a rational definition? Because if that's your definition, then how can you say omnipotence exists? Doesn't being omnipotent include being above all equilibrium states such as destructability and indestructability?

That brings up a new question. Is God omnipotent, meaning that every possible definition excludes him, or does omnipotence not exist (and neither would God in that case)? There are no in-betweens. No mortality, no state at all. If God doesn't live, how can he die, let alone commit suicide?

So either the whole omnipotence thing is just another flaw in the already extremely flawed concept of religion, or this discussion is extremely useless as omnipotence cannot be defined because of it's lack of boundaries. You tell me.