Author Topic: 50 cent & Interscope drama over Curtis Album  (Read 857 times)

AK

• Muthafuckin' OG
50 cent & Interscope drama over Curtis Album
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:26:34 PM »
This is just a rumour reported by Media Take Out at this stage, but it’s still interesting. It seems after Straight To The Bank and Amusement Park flopped, Interscope and Curtis Jackson are in the middle of a stand off in relation to 50’s next album, Curtis. Here’s the story:

June 12, 2007. Music industry insiders were shocked a few weeks ago when Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson announced that the release of his third studio album Curtis would be pushed back three months. The official explanation for the delay was that it was a “necessary course of action … to ensure the album’s simultaneous worldwide release.”

But one of MediaTakeOut.com’s insiders at Interscope Records gave us the real deal on what happened. According to the insider, record company execs want 50 Cent to re-record at least five new tracks for the album. The insider explains, “The public didn’t respond well to the first two singles [Amusement Park and Straight to the Bank] and people here got freaked out … [One top executive] wants to make sure that there’s at least one hit on the album. And he wasn’t convinced by what he heard.”

There’s one big problem with this idea though. 50 Cent is refusing to do any more tracks unless Interscope coughs up significantly more money. The insider tells, “In [50]’s mind he’s done with Curtis and he’s moved on to [his next album] - which happens to be his last under contract [with Interscope].” Our snitch continues, “He’s asking for an additional seven figures just to get him back in the studio.”

And it looks like a showdown is brewing between 50 Cent and his record label. The tipster tells MediaTakeOut.com, “Right now everyone’s still trying to stay clam, but the lawyers are getting involved - and you know what that means … If it were anyone else [besides 50 Cent], I’d say that this whole thing could be worked out. But right now, I can’t even begin to predict what’s going to happen with that album.”

Source: Grounduphiphop.com

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
Re: 50 cent & Interscope drama over Curtis Album
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »
hopefully the album gets shelved for a long long time
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
i think everyone had pretty much worked this out, 50's problem is that he and g unit have over sacturated themself in the mainstream.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Priest

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »
That's why shady pulled fiddy back months ago from releasing this new joint,cause even shady knew that fiddy over saturated the north american market,and now with that being said,we all know that the g unit roster,with the exception of young buck can't go back to being underground.

I do know this though, we got a cat that's being looked at and hopefully fiddy see's the potential in this up n coming cat

WC Iz Active

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
my god straight to the bank and amusement park flopped sooooo bad,  another L for Cuuuurrrttttiiiissss

Efrain

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:24:11 PM »
I think 50’s real problem is he doesn’t try anything different. I’m not saying he needs to reinvent himself but damn man, how many times are you going to come with that same Dre (or dre esk) produced, dumbed down lyrics, rapping for the ladies first single. It’s old and it’s boring. We’ve heard that from 50. Now the fans want something fresh or we don’t want anything at all. 

If he really was the business minded genies he claims to be he’d realize now is the time to switch it up in a big way. Drop an album full of street/backpack records. Work with different mid-level producers, no one big name. Concentrate on the lyrics and being creative, no love songs, no club songs. Forget about an album the radio wants to play and focus on an album people want to listen to.

Then there wont be so much pressure to out do himself. If he comes with something totally different he can explain away lack of sales or radio play as, “hey, it’s a totally different sound it isn’t for the radio.” As it stands now he keeps coming with the same shit and if he doesn’t sell more records and get more radio play than the last time the perception is he’s losing it.

Interscope and Shady saw this months ago, if 50 doesn’t read the writing on the wall he’ll have to no choice but to retire to save face.

icebergslimIII

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »
I was at the barbershop when the weak video for Amusement Park came on. It was like a very weak, recycled version of Candy Shop.

Does anyone know who produced Amusement Park and Straight to the Bank?

50 cent did over expose himself. he is a has been. no direction.

Aren't Eminem and Dr Dre usually Executive Producers? Why haven't they said something to put that nigga in place? No way Dre makes whack beats. so, i don't think he produced those two whack first singles.

Jome

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 09:40:38 PM »
Does anyone know who produced Amusement Park and Straight to the Bank?

Below the Westcoast section, there's a section called The Vault..

The Vault
Album Credits, Producer Credits, Artist/Producer Discographies, Videographies, Samples, etc.

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=142367.0

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:24:19 PM »
I dont know tho over saturated???

Rocafella was putting out like 4 records a year with JAy z putting out a record at least oce a year and htose dint flop.

XaNdEr

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »
my god straight to the bank and amusement park flopped sooooo bad,  another L for Cuuuurrrttttiiiissss

But he still >>>>> Dipset in any way. What has Dipset done in the last 2 years what was really profitable and positive? Jim jones' record, LOL, that's a fucked up album. Too long, too many beats sounding the same plus too many guests, and let's not even get started about the lyrics.

You have no reason to hate. For real.  8)

WC Iz Active

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
Jim Jones sold almost 400k indepentently and his album was the album of the year last year.

Dipset is 100000x better than Gunit ya dig

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »
I dont know tho over saturated???

Rocafella was putting out like 4 records a year with JAy z putting out a record at least oce a year and htose dint flop.

I hate Jay-Z, but he could actually flow if he tried. I don't think 50 can. Plus Jay aligned himself with some of the best rappers, unlike 50 who hates everyone in the industry. Jay is a real businessman, whereas 50 is a product of hype because of Eminem.

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 02:09:10 AM »
I think 50’s real problem is he doesn’t try anything different. I’m not saying he needs to reinvent himself but damn man, how many times are you going to come with that same Dre (or dre esk) produced, dumbed down lyrics, rapping for the ladies first single. It’s old and it’s boring. We’ve heard that from 50. Now the fans want something fresh or we don’t want anything at all. 

If he really was the business minded genies he claims to be he’d realize now is the time to switch it up in a big way. Drop an album full of street/backpack records. Work with different mid-level producers, no one big name. Concentrate on the lyrics and being creative, no love songs, no club songs. Forget about an album the radio wants to play and focus on an album people want to listen to.

Then there wont be so much pressure to out do himself. If he comes with something totally different he can explain away lack of sales or radio play as, “hey, it’s a totally different sound it isn’t for the radio.” As it stands now he keeps coming with the same shit and if he doesn’t sell more records and get more radio play than the last time the perception is he’s losing it.

Interscope and Shady saw this months ago, if 50 doesn’t read the writing on the wall he’ll have to no choice but to retire to save face.

props for spitting the real shit

XaNdEr

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 02:10:03 AM »
Jim Jones sold almost 400k indepentently and his album was the album of the year last year.

Dipset is 100000x better than Gunit ya dig

So that's your only argument?  :-\

400k is nothing, independant or not.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 02:44:10 AM »
I agree with Efrain on some levels. Now I always thought STTB was straight fire but that Amusement Park is wack as fuck. It clear it was made in mind with "hey, lets make Candy Shop part 2." The sad thing 50 can put out everythign he wants and he would still sell, which just proves us with AP, because if the date sticked to June 26th, hed still do Kingdom Come numbers, meaning outselling every rap album in past the 3 years.

Which brings me to the label politics, because I cant even imagine the pressure theyre putting on him this time. We all know Jimmy told him to recoup the 12 millions album slumps from last year. So its that much harder for him, to come up with the music he wants to, without thinking about record sales. I think the label execs see him as this money making machine and not an artists who loves the music itself. Dont get me wrong half the blame is on 50 too.

Curtis sounded from the leaked tracks and some snippets, like nothing special, another todays "lets make an album as the label wants it to" album. Thats why I hope he releases an double LP in September and gets off Interscope.