Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger tells Hispanics they need to learn English....  (Read 1013 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!

causing "shock and outrage" among the Hispanics in the audience at a recent speech.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=1&cset=true

Gov. aims for healing, hits a snag with Latino journalists
By Louis Sahagun, Times Staff Writer
June 14, 2007

SAN JOSE — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's views about civilian border patrols, immigration reform and undocumented immigrants were put to the test Wednesday when he was grilled by Latino journalists gathered for an annual convention.

Schwarzenegger's appearance in the historic California Theatre at the start of the National Assn. of Hispanic Journalists' 25th anniversary convention aimed to improve his image among Latinos, an important segment of the California electorate.

Whether his big grin and conciliatory responses won over critics remains to be seen.

The governor drew gasps from some of the 700 people in the audience by suggesting that undocumented immigrants "have got to turn off the Spanish-language television" programs in order to learn English.

"I know it sounds odd, and I may be getting myself in trouble for saying this," Schwarzenegger said before launching into a retelling of his own struggle to master English. "I got rid of the television set and learned."

He added: "Even in the state capital, so many Latinos speak Spanish all the time."

Sara Shakir, managing news producer of Radio Bilingue Inc., a national Latino public radio network based in Fresno, was among those who couldn't believe he would say that, given the audience.

"Here he was, sitting in front of hundreds of journalists whose job it is to create information for people in the language they understand, and reflects their diversity and cultural heritage," she said, "and saying, 'Let's obliterate all that.' "

Cecilia Alvear, a former TV news producer, was only half kidding when she said, "What? And give up my telenovelas?" referring to Spanish-language soap operas. "His message seems to be, 'Let's be monolingual,' " Alvear said.

Some Latino leaders have faulted Schwarzenegger in the past for his endorsement of Minutemen on the United States side of the Mexican border and his vetoes of laws allowing illegal immigrants to have driver's licenses.

Additionally, an audio recording surfaced late last year in which the governor, referring to a Latina lawmaker, casually suggested that "black blood" mixed with "Latino blood" equals a "hot" personality.

On Wednesday, he blamed some of the problem on "misunderstandings."

For example, he clarified having once endorsed sealing the border, when he actually meant to support proposals for securing the border.

Nativo Vigil Lopez, president of the Mexican American Political Assn., suggested Schwarzenegger's acceptance of the group's invitation underscores his "knack for strategic political positioning" at a time when Congress is wrestling with the first comprehensive immigration reform package in decades.

He also suggested that Schwarzenegger may have plans to run for the U.S. Senate.

"In California, if you're sideways with Latinos and you're running for a U.S. Senate seat, you've got a rough row to hoe," Lopez said in an earlier interview. "So he's got to make peace with the Latino electorate, which is the only electorate in the state that continues to grow."

On Wednesday, however, Schwarzenegger said he has no plans to seek another office. Instead, he said he hoped to contribute to philanthropic work and programs such as the Special Olympics.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
He's basically right about the language stuff (I'm not going to get into the other, partly very questionable stuff), but he's an idiot if he's suprised on how people have reacted ... lol@"His message seems to be, 'Let's be monolingual'".... when that is exactly what seems to be the case right now, and what should change
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Here's something shocking, majority of the latinos in the country speak both English and Spanish. Spanish is a skill in this capitalist country, not a burden. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Here's something shocking, majority of the latinos in the country speak both English and Spanish. Spanish is a skill in this capitalist country, not a burden. 

Of course, but not speaking English is not a skill, and something one could consider a burden. He didn't say "forget all spanish vocabulary" or something lmao. But if you just watch spanish tv, talk spanish wherever you hang out, read spanish papers, etc, there's quite a chance you're going to make life too comfortable for yourself and never get around to learn english. Obviously this is not the problem with you, you can watch as much spanish tv as you're pleased.
No, it's not a sin

Garth Brooks

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • We Shall Be Free
SPEEK ENGLISH OR GET OUT!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Of course, but not speaking English is not a skill, and something one could consider a burden. He didn't say "forget all spanish vocabulary" or something lmao. But if you just watch spanish tv, talk spanish wherever you hang out, read spanish papers, etc, there's quite a chance you're going to make life too comfortable for yourself and never get around to learn english. Obviously this is not the problem with you, you can watch as much spanish tv as you're pleased.

Each generation is losing more Spanish speaking people.  It's really nothing to be worried about, my potential  kids are going to know less Spanish than myself, and etc etc.  All of my younger cousins can't even talk Spanish that well, they can but it's really just enough to get by with their parents and other family members. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!

lmfao

Each generation is losing more Spanish speaking people.  It's really nothing to be worried about, my potential  kids are going to know less Spanish than myself, and etc etc.  All of my younger cousins can't even talk Spanish that well, they can but it's really just enough to get by with their parents and other family members. 

Really? I don't see the big deal of raising a kid bilingual. Of course the parents should be able to speak both languages to do that. Otherwise it's Spanish in the parents-world and English in the outside-world, which is not for the best. I've seen people talking to their kids in 2 languages, like switching it up sentence by sentence. Kids are somehow able to distinguish naturally.. I'm talking about really young kids, like really young. You can't start that stuff with a 10 year old.
No, it's not a sin

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

lmfao

Really? I don't see the big deal of raising a kid bilingual. Of course the parents should be able to speak both languages to do that. Otherwise it's Spanish in the parents-world and English in the outside-world, which is not for the best. I've seen people talking to their kids in 2 languages, like switching it up sentence by sentence. Kids are somehow able to distinguish naturally.. I'm talking about really young kids, like really young. You can't start that stuff with a 10 year old.

It used to be easier because schools here in California used to have bi-lingual programs.  They would teach the smarter kids some Spanish lessons up until 3rd Grade. The younger Latino generation will just be much more comfortable with  English in the future than what it is today.  In about ten years, it's going to be switched from Spanish first, English second, to English first, Spanish second. 

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
HHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

he gonna teach them

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I guess if that's the case...they pretty much lost their cultrual language...and eventually, generations beyond would not understand their own language...and basically their identity would pretty much be lost forever....and then...I'm thinking if this goes further down the road...they wouldn't recognize hispanics as hispanics...but what would they be known as...
"unknown?"  ???
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

D-Lyte

• Lil Geezy
  • Get Stupid
Schwarzenegger's right 'bout what he said. They live in the States they might as well learn to speak tha' language, because no one forces them to come over here. But if they decide to do so they should at least learn tha' language, not give up their culture or the Spanish language, just immigrate. If I go into a store they got two signs one's in English the other in Spanish and by doing shit like that the Latinos don't have to learn English they just get by, and that's just fucked up. It's the government's fault 'cause they don't show any effort to immigrate the Latinos, by giving them privileges, like signs in Spanish, bunch of TV shows in Spanish, Spanish teachers and so on, the Latinos don't have to learn tha' language and can still live here. I mean would you learn tha' language if you could live here without being forced to adapt tha' language? I don't think so, it wouldn't make sense. So in my opinion tha' government is to blame for this bullshit situation right now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 02:50:03 AM by D-Lyte »
【●•▶ᎽᎯᎽ ᎯᏒᏋᎯ◀•●】

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I guess if that's the case...they pretty much lost their cultrual language...and eventually, generations beyond would not understand their own language...and basically their identity would pretty much be lost forever....and then...I'm thinking if this goes further down the road...they wouldn't recognize hispanics as hispanics...but what would they be known as...
"unknown?"  ???

That won't happen because it won't be that extreme, there will be a shift though. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Schwarzenegger's right 'bout what he said. They live in the States they might as well learn to speak tha' language, because no one forces them to come over here. But if they decide to do so they should at least learn tha' language, not give up their culture or the Spanish language, just immigrate. If I go into a store they got two signs one's in English the other in Spanish and by doing shit like that the Latinos don't have to learn English they just get by, and that's just fucked up. It's the government's fault 'cause they don't show any effort to immigrate the Latinos, by giving them privileges, like signs in Spanish, bunch of TV shows in Spanish, Spanish teachers and so on, the Latinos don't have to learn tha' language and can still live here. I mean would you learn tha' language if you could live here without being forced to adapt tha' language? I don't think so, it wouldn't make sense. So in my opinion tha' government is to blame for this bullshit situation right now.

I think you're thinking about the word assimilate.  A business can do whatever they want because they do what's best for business.  I was driving towards the Greek Theater in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, and I passed through some stores that had 4 different languages!  I told myself, "This is one of the many reasons why I love about Los Angeles"  In the end, many people that own shops will try their best to get the maximum number of clients, you gotta do what you gotta do.  The TV Shows in Spanish are making money, you got soap operas in Spanish that are getting more ratings than many of the prime time shows on major networks.  Spanish teachers?  What do you mean by that?

The entire thing is being blown out of proportion. 

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!

From what your stating, it seems good to own those spanish shows.

I think you're thinking about the word assimilate.  A business can do whatever they want because they do what's best for business.  I was driving towards the Greek Theater in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, and I passed through some stores that had 4 different languages!  I told myself, "This is one of the many reasons why I love about Los Angeles"  In the end, many people that own shops will try their best to get the maximum number of clients, you gotta do what you gotta do.  The TV Shows in Spanish are making money, you got soap operas in Spanish that are getting more ratings than many of the prime time shows on major networks.  Spanish teachers?  What do you mean by that?

[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

D-Lyte

• Lil Geezy
  • Get Stupid

Learning tha' language is immigration not assimilation. They'd assimilate if they would give up their culture and would live like "Americans" if you know what I'm sayin'. I did not say they should assimilate, but they should immigrate. Aight tha' stores make money with that, true. But you have the choice either you take the money and leave the Latinos as they are, that's fine with me, or you make them learn English by not giving them the privileges they have right now. 'Cause everybody complainin' 'bout the Latinos not learning English n' stuff but no wonder. The majority on tha high school on my block is Latino. And by Spanish teachers I mean teachers, that pretty much teach exclusively in Spanish. The Latinos get extra classes, in Spanish only. So there you have it, they can go to school in the States without learning the language. And instead of pointing tha' finger at the Latinos the government should do some changes around here, especially concerning education.
【●•▶ᎽᎯᎽ ᎯᏒᏋᎯ◀•●】