Author Topic: Ice Cube - Greatest rapper alive?  (Read 622 times)

MIAMI4LIFE

Ice Cube - Greatest rapper alive?
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:11:35 AM »
was behind classic albums with 2 different groups NWA and Westside Connection, his own discography has countless classic albums and several dope to maybe average, I don't think he gets the respect because maybe he has gone into acting and his music isn't his first priority nowadays but I think he has been consistent as anyone in the game releasing the amount of material that he has released, and this is coming from an East Coast dude who is surrounded by Jay-z and Nas fans who both I respect, Nas more than Jay but I think Cube has a better catalog when you look at his overrall work

Lunatic

Re: Ice Cube - Greatest rapper alive?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:12:37 AM »
was behind classic albums with 2 different groups NWA and Westside Connection, his own discography has countless classic albums and several dope to maybe average, I don't think he gets the respect because maybe he has gone into acting and his music isn't his first priority nowadays but I think he has been consistent as anyone in the game releasing the amount of material that he has released, and this is coming from an East Coast dude who is surrounded by Jay-z and Nas fans who both I respect, Nas more than Jay but I think Cube has a better catalog when you look at his overrall work

couldn't of said it better myself. You can make a VALID argument that cube has been apart of about 6 classic albums. That is impossible for any other rapper

i would change thread title to greatest rapper dead or alive ;)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »
IMO he's 2nd to KRS, maybe 1a and 1b. But imo he's right there and better than the common choices for GOAT...Pac, Biggie, and Jay.

Straight Outta Compton - 5/5
AMW - 5/5
Death Certificate - 6/5 (LOL its that good, this album still amazes me)
Predator - 4.75/5 (Personally my favorite)
Lethal Injection - 4.5/5 (5-6 classic racks on an 11 track album)
Bow Down - 5/5
War Disc - 4/5
Peace Disc - 3/5
Terrorist Threats - 3.75/5
LNCL - 4/5 (Could've been 4.5 mics if he chose better beats and cut some meat out)

He has 2 group classics, 2 definete solo classics, and possibly 3 if you include Predator. And these arent everyday classics, Straight Outta Compton basically birthed and mainstreamed Westcoast Gangsta Rap and Death Certificate is the GOAT West Coast LP, better than Chronic, Doggystyle, or any Pac CD.

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
IMO he's 2nd to KRS, maybe 1a and 1b. But imo he's right there and better than the common choices for GOAT...Pac, Biggie, and Jay.

Straight Outta Compton - 5/5
AMW - 5/5
Death Certificate - 6/5 (LOL its that good, this album still amazes me)
Predator - 4.75/5 (Personally my favorite)
Lethal Injection - 4.5/5 (5-6 classic racks on an 11 track album)
Bow Down - 5/5
War Disc - 4/5
Peace Disc - 3/5
Terrorist Threats - 3.75/5
LNCL - 4/5 (Could've been 4.5 mics if he chose better beats and cut some meat out)

He has 2 group classics, 2 definete solo classics, and possibly 3 if you include Predator. And these arent everyday classics, Straight Outta Compton basically birthed and mainstreamed Westcoast Gangsta Rap and Death Certificate is the GOAT West Coast LP, better than Chronic, Doggystyle, or any Pac CD.

Str8 Outta Compton - 5/5
AMW - 4.75/5 - CD ws sooooo short, and for me that caused a minor problem
DC - 6/5 ;)
Predator - 4.5/5
Lethal Injection - 4.75/5
Bow Down - I gotta re-do this one to make my mind up
War Disc - 3.5/5
Peace Disc - 3.25/5
Terrorist Threats - 4.25/5
LNCL - 4.25/5

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:38:58 AM »
he's the best rapper,period!

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »

couldn't of said it better myself. You can make a VALID argument that cube has been apart of about 6 classic albums. That is impossible for any other rapper

yeah I just want to see everybody's opinion on him, even his average material is highly listenalble and to me that is an important factor while he was making his movies and still is he has the ability to put out dope material, but his classic stuff is just unmatched I would consider him probably the greatest of all time also

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »

yeah I just want to see everybody's opinion on him, even his average material is highly listenalble and to me that is an important factor while he was making his movies and still is he has the ability to put out dope material, but his classic stuff is just unmatched I would consider him probably the greatest of all time also

completely agreed

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »

He's held to a higher standard because his earlier work was off the charts...so when Cube comes "subpar" its still better than the majority of shit out there.

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »

He's held to a higher standard because his earlier work was off the charts...so when Cube comes "subpar" its still better than the majority of shit out there.

but to me, his "sub-par" shit is only "sub-par" because of his earlier shit. It's not held to the same standards, because it ain't classic or near classic. But his "sub-par" shit would be "near classic" in 90% of ALL other rappers catalogs

d-nice

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:16:15 AM »
One of the best to ever do it. Of all time though alive is tough because including Cube, alot of other rappers are adding to their legacy. I actually got into a debate with my homeboy about if Snoop or Cube has a better catalogue.

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:17:39 AM »
One of the best to ever do it. Of all time though alive is tough because including Cube, alot of other rappers are adding to their legacy. I actually got into a debate with my homeboy about if Snoop or Cube has a better catalogue.

I loooooooooooove Snoop.....but its an insult to Cube to even compare their catalogue.

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »

it's true it's an insult to compare cube and snoop's catalog

d-nice

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 10:22:22 AM »

That is what I said. I said you can even argue Cube's weaker albums by fans standards like War, Peace and LNCL are comparable or even better than Snoop's weaker albums.

Lunatic

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »

That is what I said. I said you can even argue Cube's weaker albums by fans standards like War, Peace and LNCL are comparable or even better than Snoop's weaker albums.

cube never has, and never will make an album as weak as DGITBSNTBT

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »

cube never has, and never will make an album as weak as DGITBSNTBT

Exactly...but Snoop doesnt get nearly the same heat or criticism as Cube would get.