Author Topic: ***As of now, I'm a man with a diploma!***  (Read 352 times)

Edoc

Re: ***As of now, I'm a man with a diploma!***
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
 :cheers: Congratulations man.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 11:56:21 AM »
Now that's a beautiful thang. For real. Congratulations my dude, that is a very big deal, wish you the best of the luck with this shit! Propz homie.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »
Damn...ANYONE can be a teacher nowadays... :-\

LOL, JK...Props homie. 8)

StevenQBosell

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »
Seriious Props, brother... COngrats

A friend of mine is going in to teaching this year, and we joked about the serious hell we used to raise in the classroom.

LOL Hopefully you'll morph into that teacher who everyone thought was mean and crazy before we had his class, then after, realized how great of a teacher the guy was.

Good luck, and congrats man... your patience is way better than mine
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:55:10 PM by StevenQBosell »

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 12:45:47 PM »
Damn...ANYONE can be a teacher nowadays... :-\

Ya damn right. No lie there.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 08:31:14 PM »
good  shit homie +1

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 02:04:46 AM »
LOL Hopefully you'll morph into that teacher who everyone thought was mean and crazy before we had his class, then after, realized how great of a teacher the guy was.

I hear you. To me, a teacher is more than just someone who teaches subject matter to students. Sure, there are teachers who stick to their textbooks, but I'm planning to do more than that: organising after-school activities (sports, quiz, ...), helping them with their studies, etc...

But, more importantly, a teacher is someone who can pass along certain values to his students. In a way, a teacher is a role-model, and since everyone spends a lot of time in their life on the school benches, I find it important that a teacher takes his function seriously. Like I said, it's more than just teaching what's in the books.

You know, from February up until May 2007 I had a non-stop teacher training period, and as always, I got feedback from my teacher-mentors at the local high-schools. Since I was in my last year, I didn't really have any major difficulties - just some small things I should take notice of, nothing too serious at all - so the feedback I got from my mentors was always positive.

However, what I'm ALSO - and even more - interested in, was what the students themselves thought of my teaching style, but unfortunately you don't get to know that easily. Luckily for me, one of my mentors asked her class what they thought of me/my way-of-teaching and apparently they said I was the best teacher they had had so far. :) Not trying to brag or boast here, just saying...it feels good to know that your students respect you and appreciate the effort you put into preparing a lesson.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:11:19 AM by CRAFTY »

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 09:01:57 AM »
^ Yooo, I swear, you are a real one. Truthfully. You are that somebody we need!!

I wanna be a teacher too. ;D It's kind of a LONG shot, but to get serious.... Being a teacher, like you just said, is so much more than handing a kid a book and tellin' them to pass a test. It's more than that, at least how I see it. What I would love to do, is be the one teacher who actually TEACHES the kids, who would actually drill it in their brains, so that they know it, and not just have to remember it for the quiz. Ya know? Now, when I learn, I need the shit, broken down, drawn in a picture, written down, have it in notes and repeated about a million times. So, when I teach, if that's what I have to do for my kids, than damn it, like hell I will.

And the way I would teach is I would adapt to the class. If I have a class full of outgoing loud kids than I would maybe let them do projects and be able to have a discussion with each one of the students. But say I have a class with maybe a few quiet children or something I would do everythang in my power to make each kid feel comfortable. I would never put pressure on them individually, but I'll do most of the talking, and make it one classroom, uhh I don't know, I can't explain it.

And I will only have like one rule for my classroom, which is no swearing. I don't give a shit if it's pissed, damn, or hell. I WILL NEVER CUSS LIKE OTHERS BE DOING TODAY. DAMN IT, YOU A PROFESSIONAL, FUCKIN' ACT LIKE ONE. That is what pisses me off so fuckin' much. And the kids in a classroom are learning, they USE BIGGER VOCABULARY THAN THAT. I don't even care. You a teacher, you a professional, you are setting an example and you are supposed to bw teaching you're students what the world is like. Shit.

And one reason I would have respect from them is cuz I respect them, that's it. Respect is respect. And I'm so sick and tired of seein' these kids throw they life away for nothing. So it's not gonna happen in front of my eyes, I'll preach to them kids everyday if I have to. I'll be there for each one of them. And I don't judge nobody so I'll get along wit them all. When I'm walking in the hall, I'd always show interest in them, not becuz I 'have to or should' but becuz that's how I feel. And everybody loves that. Whether it be the quiet chubby wit girl to the pretty boy nigga to the cat who never comes to class cuz he rather be in the halls or skipping school.

See the only advantage I have to these kids, is that I look like them and come from the same shit they do, so I can relate to them like crazy, and no, not just the black kids, but the spanish and the white kids. Inner city kids are all the same, no matter what race they are, and they are lookin' for somebody who understands them, and I'm right behind them. And you always hear how, 'oh I would love to just change one life', yes that's great, but I would love to do MORE than that. Way more than one.

And, AND, see people clown me now, becuz a nigga don't smoke weed or a nigga don't sell, well here's the reason. If I can make it out, MAKE IT OUT WITH NOT DOIN DRUGS IN MY LIFE OR SLANGIN', anybody can do it. Anyone one of these kids, and they are not gonna give me 'Oh well, that's all I can do, that's all I know'. No, I don't think so.

Aight, I'm done now, damnnnnnnn, I'm sorry, lol, HOT DAMN, LMAO, I tell myself this everyday though and I can't share this wit nobody so I had to get it all out me. Lol. Even if ain't nobody read this, now I got it off my chest, feels like I done lost 60 pounds.

And I hear what you are sayin' on everythang, Crafty, my dude and I am so happy to hear other's is sincere to this!! Damn, it's a beautiful thang. Truly is. I wish you the best in everythang. It's a real NICE thang we got people who still are out there for the better of the kids. Honestly. Best of luck homie.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »
i lost my fucking diploma

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 04:23:50 AM »
@ QuietTruth: having respect for your students is exactly what it boils down to if you want to be a good teacher. Like, I personally know a few teachers who literally avoid going to places where their students might be as well (swimming pool, the gym, the movies, ...). I mean, what the hell?! If it weren't for these students us teachers wouldn't even have a fucking job. I meet some of my students all the time when I'm at the gym or swimming pool and I don't mind talking to them at all. Hell, nine times out of ten THEY wil approach ME for a quick conversation.

Another thing that struck me is that teachers don't like talking dialect/slang to their students OUTSIDE of school hours. I don't have a single problem with that. In school we talk normal Dutch to each other, but if I see them at a shop for instance, there's no way in hell I'll be like: "hey, I'm still your teacher. Watch your language". The thing about it is, some teachers underestimate their students. These kids know their limits: last week I met a student at the swimming pool and we started talking. At first he talked "normal/formal" Dutch to me but I quickly made it clear that it was okay for him to use dialect/slang.

There are many ways to deal with students though, and I'm aware that not everyone shares my view. Some teachers remain stuck in that conservative way-of-teaching and dealing with kids in fear of "getting too familiar" with students. That's the sad part about it.

Anyway, seems like you got the proper motivation to be a good teacher QuietTruth. Go for it!

wcsoldier

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 05:01:22 AM »

Another thing that struck me is that teachers don't like talking dialect/slang to their students OUTSIDE of school hours. I don't have a single problem with that. In school we talk normal Dutch to each other, but if I see them at a shop for instance, there's no way in hell I'll be like: "hey, I'm still your teacher. Watch your language". The thing about it is, some teachers underestimate their students. These kids know their limits: last week I met a student at the swimming pool and we started talking. At first he talked "normal/formal" Dutch to me but I quickly made it clear that it was okay for him to use dialect/slang.

yeah I agree with you on that.. the only limit/pb is students have to be aware that when you are in class, they can't talk to you like when they meet you outside.. but after all they're in highschool and as you said they know their limit...  I feel your how to be a teacher approach

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 05:10:46 AM »
^^^^True. Some kids will always try to check how far they can actually push it with a teacher. It's up to the teacher then to step up and make his point very clear so that there won't be any misunderstandings. Communication is very important.
To give an example: I had to teach French during my teacher-training period in May to my nextdoor neighbour. Well, in class, he spoke 'normal' Dutch to me. But yesterday, I was playing basketball on my driveway and he asked if he could join me. Sure thing...we shot some hoops together and we spoke in dialect. No problem at all.

It's not that I'm trying to be friends with every student, I'm just trying to break that teacher vs. student barrier that's been out there for sooo long. A teacher should be someone who's approachable, someone who they can talk to. That's what I'm all about. Glad to hear that you share my view wcsoldier.

wcsoldier

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 05:57:35 AM »
^^^^^^ yeah the pb is there aren't many "down to earth" teachers.. I know, in every role you have in the society, the notions of hierarchy and power have to be respected, but in most cases this barrier goes way too far... It's sure you (we) have this view coz we're young people and you are right now just one generation ahead of the students you'll have... as a result y'all probably share some values, even some hobbies so you can understand them, vice and versa...

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 08:06:17 AM »
Yeah, I hear that too. See, though, I see that alot kinda though with strong teacher and students bonds and shit. But that's prolly just of the different culture, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

It's funny becuz, my favorite teacher, prolly my role model, does this all the time. This cat is the one where I take alot of my ideals from. I mean the man, came from the same exact hood as me, same exact place no exaggeration and he made it, he got himself a career that he's true to and made something of it. And the thang is, he looks more intimating than somebody's favorite rapper. He's got the long hair, ya know, he's got that street look and he's educating the youth! Every weekend he comes back and hangs out right where he came from. In school, he's a teacher wit the suit and he's respectful as hell. Out of school, he's wearing jeans and air forces and he's still respectful. Everytime he see's somebody in the hall, 'hey, how you doing?'. He holds the doors open for the girls, he's straight up with the boys. He has respect from them all and he shows respect to everybody no matter who it is and he holds down a classroom, something that many teachers can't do today!

It's crazy though you say that, becuz shit is beyond true. And like you said, you wanna be a teacher who's approachable, that's fuckin' great, that's what alot of kids need today. So glad that there's people out there like this. I bet too, you gonna be the best teacher to the students out of the school. LMAO!! Good shit.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
In school, he's a teacher wit the suit and he's respectful as hell. Out of school, he's wearing jeans and air forces and he's still respectful.

Same thing here: I dress clean as hell when I have to teach (Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Armani, ... gotta look good! ;D ) but out of school there's a big chance you'll see me wearing Dickies with Air Forces and comfortable t-shirts. Hip-hop clothing, basically. It has happened to me several times that I run into some students while I'm shopping and they're like "damn, didn't know you like hip-hop!" lol.