Author Topic: Puff Daddy - No Way Out... is it a classic?  (Read 763 times)

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Puff Daddy - No Way Out... is it a classic?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »
CLASSIC

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 10:39:23 AM »
W.A.C.K.  :sleep:

We Fly High

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
its a alright cd. it can be considered classic in today's context.. but if you take it in the context with all the other music being released around that time, its not.

d-nice

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »
its a alright cd. it can be considered classic in today's context.. but if you take it in the context with all the other music being released around that time, its not.

Co-sign. I have a hard time picking this as a classic. I consider Life After Death a classic and this does not come close to that album. Also Biggie was a BIG part of that album along with countless ghostwriters including BIG so it always was more of a compilation not just the work of Puffy so good album, yes, classic, no.

1980DRE

• 'G'
  • Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week...
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
it's within the gray-area of whether it's a classic or not, BUT it's better than 80% of the crap that's out right now!!!

d-nice

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 11:24:47 AM »
it's within the gray-area of whether it's a classic or not, BUT it's better than 80% of the crap that's out right now!!!

Yeah it is better than alot of stuff that is coming out right now. Puffy and classic album just don't go together for me. He had ALOT of help on that album. You can see what happened when he started writing his own stuff on the 2nd one and with no Biggie how much of a difference there was.

WILL-I-DIE

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 01:52:59 PM »
like it or not diddy is a part of hip hop history.
i really think no diddy no notorious big.
also its not a bad thing to call an album "classic" unless it sucked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:00:05 PM by Will-I-Die »

d-nice

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
like it or not diddy is a part of hip hop history.
i really think no diddy no notorious big.
also its not a bad thing to call an album "classic" unless it sucked.

Yeah that is true, but without Biggie, Puffy is like L.A. Reid or Babyface. A good executive for R&B acts so it works both ways. A great talent is a great talent and he was able to take Big's career to the next level, but it is not like Puff was working with Yung Joc, Big had skills. I just feel like No Way Out was more manufactured by alot of producers and ghostwriters to create that sound

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 03:50:56 PM »
I grew up with the singles from that album and it was those songs that made me want more from Hip-Hop, so you know the album is special to me.

same as, id like diddy to realise another album like this but it wont happen.

I wouldnt say it was a classic but it is a very good album, reminds me of my sixth form days !!

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Jakubs

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:27:37 PM »
I don't know if I consider it a classic, but I definitely like the album. This was the first rap album I ever owned. Victory was the jam back in the day. I was a big Twista fan too, so I made sure to check out anything that he was featured on.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
Not sure if I would call it a classic, but I wouldn't mind people considering it one.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 11:09:20 PM »
i grew up on this so it will always be a classic to me.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 11:31:23 PM »
for it's day it was no where near a classic, it was a laughable sherade. that's because the bar at the time was set so high  by early 90's classics such as the chronic, doggystyle, illmatic, 36 chambers, all eyez on me, me against the world, ready to die, makaveli, and so on, that in no way could it ever be considered a historic album.

however today, the bar has been set soooooooo LOW that IMO when comparing this album to any other hip hop album that comes out today it'd definately deserve at the very least 4-4.5 mics .

it's like the vanilla ice thread i made. for it's time....lol, it was laughable. but give me No Way out all day every over some of the shit that's coming out now. i mean shit   Rocky/David bowie samples>>>>>>>cheesy synths and trends that set black people back 100 years.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

StevenQBosell

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 11:45:32 PM »
Hmmm, this one seems to be a tricky one... it's about half and half pro and con...

My thing is, you really can't compare it to the Chronic, Doggystyle, All Eyez, etc... it really wasn't any of those types of albums nor was it trying to be.

It was the finest of the "Mafioso" glossy shit... sprinlkled with hardness and partyjams in between... the same way 36 was the finest for that sperhard eastcoast shit, and  and pac and dres respective albums were the prototypical Wast albums... they all had thier niche

Lets see what Merriam-Webster said:
clas·sic
Pronunciation:
\ˈkla-sik\
1 a: serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value b: traditional, enduring<classic designs...
3 a: historically memorable b: noted because of special literary or historical associations

If you honestly look at it, it does fit quite a bit of the criteria...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:50:22 PM by StevenQBosell »

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »
Definitely a dope album, it's a toss up whether or not it is a classic.  I think Puffy is corny as hell, but I cant front on this album.  Dope beats, dope collaborations with Twista and Jay too.