Author Topic: Puff Daddy - No Way Out... is it a classic?  (Read 764 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Puff Daddy - No Way Out... is it a classic?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 11:22:08 PM »
im bumpin this album right now and i gotta say its a dope album. got some heat in that album.
i consider it a classic.

Puff Daddy - No Way Out [1997]

1. No Way Out (Intro)
  2. Victory - (featuring The Notorious B.I.G./Busta Rhymes)
  3. Been Around The World - (featuring The Notorious B.I.G./Mase)
  4. What You Gonna Do?
  5. Don't Stop What You're Doing - (featuring Lil' Kim)
  6. If I Should Die Tonight - (interlude, featuring Carl Thomas)
  7. Do You Know?
  8. Young G's - (featuring Notorious B.I.G. & Jay-Z)
  9. I Love You Baby - (featuring Black Rob)
  10. It's All About The Benjamins - (remix, featuring The Notorious B.I.G./Lil' Kim/The Lox)
  11. Pain
  12. Is This The End? - (featuring Ginuwine/Twista/Carl Thomas)
  13. I Got The Power - (featuring The Lox)
  14. Friend - (featuring Foxy Brown)
  15. Senorita
  16. I'll Be Missing You - (featuring Faith Evans/112)
  17. Can't Nobody Hold Me Down - (featuring Mase)

Nice thread.  You know, I think it is worth the debate over wether or not it's a classic.  I would say no, because I think it represents a shift in hip-hop, where we started moving away from the East Coast consciousness/5% Islamic influenced hip-hop... to more of an East Coast bling bling Jay-Z R&B fake ass faggot era of hip-hop.   So that's why I would say no.  Otherwise, it was a pretty interesting album, only because BIggies death distracted them long enough from their money to allow them to talk about something real.

It's a really emotional album, what I really like about this album, and what we don't see enough of anymore in today's hip-hop... is like all the great albums of the 90's era, THE ALBUM HAS A MOOD, AND A TONE.  Like, 2pac's Me Against the World album, for example, that album has a mood, and a tone, that carries the album throughout.

Well this album's mood is dream like... he goes in and out of dreaming of love, riches, and fallen hip-hop hero's and the heaven and hell that awaits them.  It's a very beautiful album.  Tracks like "Pain", "Is This The End", "Do You Know" "Victory" are very musical in their sound quality, mood, and lyrics.  The tracks are more like events then songs, if you know what I mean.  They are fully produced from top to bottom.  A lot of effort and attention went into this album and it's concepts.

GREAT ALBUM but not classic.     

...Jake made a nice post above... and I'll add that the album came out at a time when hip-hop had just started it's decline and was still capable of releasing great albums... so No Way Out was nothing too special for it's time... but compared to the trash that's out there today, it's a 5 mic classic.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:28:15 PM by Shakur Abdul-Latif's Definition Of Hip-Hop..by -Infinite- »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

StevenQBosell

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »
im bumpin this album right now and i gotta say its a dope album. got some heat in that album.
i consider it a classic.

Puff Daddy - No Way Out [1997]

1. No Way Out (Intro)
  2. Victory - (featuring The Notorious B.I.G./Busta Rhymes)
  3. Been Around The World - (featuring The Notorious B.I.G./Mase)
  4. What You Gonna Do?
  5. Don't Stop What You're Doing - (featuring Lil' Kim)
  6. If I Should Die Tonight - (interlude, featuring Carl Thomas)
  7. Do You Know?
  8. Young G's - (featuring Notorious B.I.G. & Jay-Z)
  9. I Love You Baby - (featuring Black Rob)
  10. It's All About The Benjamins - (remix, featuring The Notorious B.I.G./Lil' Kim/The Lox)
  11. Pain
  12. Is This The End? - (featuring Ginuwine/Twista/Carl Thomas)
  13. I Got The Power - (featuring The Lox)
  14. Friend - (featuring Foxy Brown)
  15. Senorita
  16. I'll Be Missing You - (featuring Faith Evans/112)
  17. Can't Nobody Hold Me Down - (featuring Mase)

Nice thread.  You know, I think it is worth the debate over wether or not it's a classic.  I would say no, because I think it represents a shift in hip-hop, where we started moving away from the East Coast consciousness/5% Islamic influenced hip-hop... to more of an East Coast bling bling Jay-Z R&B fake ass faggot era of hip-hop.   So that's why I would say no.  Otherwise, it was a pretty interesting album, only because BIggies death distracted them long enough from their money to allow them to talk about something real.

It's a really emotional album, what I really like about this album, and what we don't see enough of anymore in today's hip-hop... is like all the great albums of the 90's era, THE ALBUM HAS A MOOD, AND A TONE.  Like, 2pac's Me Against the World album, for example, that album has a mood, and a tone, that carries the album throughout.

Well this album's mood is dream like... he goes in and out of dreaming of love, riches, and fallen hip-hop hero's and the heaven and hell that awaits them.  It's a very beautiful album.  Tracks like "Pain", "Is This The End", "Do You Know" "Victory" are very musical in their sound quality, mood, and lyrics.  The tracks are more like events then songs, if you know what I mean.  They are fully produced from top to bottom.  A lot of effort and attention went into this album and it's concepts.

GREAT ALBUM but not classic.     

...Jake made a nice post above... and I'll add that the album came out at a time when hip-hop had just started it's decline and was still capable of releasing great albums... so No Way Out was nothing too special for it's time... but compared to the trash that's out there today, it's a 5 mic classic.

Great points dude.

But a few things: That "shift" was coming wheter Puffy put that album or not... it was inevitable. And remember Bad Boy kinda started that "Mafioso" glossy hip hop.

When others saw the formula as successful, they were copying it, I would as early as 1996. So to say Puff started the decline...?  I say it was that OTHERS lost some originality and copied a proven, money making style.

And this happens all the time: Ready To Die was like the East Coast Chronic for me. You can tell Puff was influenced by the Doctorr. I mean, even look at today: What's big now, the Screwed and chopped hooks... everybody has one now... because they're following the trend. And remember for a while there, EVERYBODY wanted a Bad Boy producer on thier records, be it Puffy, Stevie J, the T.O.N.Y. dudes, anybody from the Hitmen saquad.

Remember the days when you HAD to have a Bad Boy remix? That's what Im talking about with others losing thier originality... "just have Puff set up a remix, and I'll go platinum" was the thought from 1996 - 1999...

And BTW, this is ONE GREAT DEBATE, intelligent conversation and thoughts.

This thread is why Dubcc is the BEST forum for hip hop.

Any other board, this would be a flaming (no homo), troll laden thread.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »

Great points dude.

But a few things: That "shift" was coming wheter Puffy put that album or not... it was inevitable. And remember Bad Boy kinda started that "Mafioso" glossy hip hop.

When others saw the formula as successful, they were copying it, I would as early as 1996. So to say Puff started the decline...?  I say it was that OTHERS lost some originality and copied a proven, money making style.

And this happens all the time: Ready To Die was like the East Coast Chronic for me. You can tell Puff was influenced by the Doctorr. I mean, even look at today: What's big now, the Screwed and chopped hooks... everybody has one now... because they're following the trend. And remember for a while there, EVERYBODY wanted a Bad Boy producer on thier records, be it Puffy, Stevie J, the T.O.N.Y. dudes, anybody from the Hitmen saquad.

Remember the days when you HAD to have a Bad Boy remix? That's what Im talking about with others losing thier originality... "just have Puff set up a remix, and I'll go platinum" was the thought from 1996 - 1999...

And BTW, this is ONE GREAT DEBATE, intelligent conversation and thoughts.

This thread is why Dubcc is the BEST forum for hip hop.

Any other board, this would be a flaming (no homo), troll laden thread.

Nice post... but let me clarify that I wasn't saying that it was because of this album that hip-hop started to decline, I said that hip-hop had already started it's decline by the time this album came out.  I happen to believe strongly that hip-hop started it's decline the day 2pac died.

Bad Boy was dope in the mid-90's era.  I was watching an old Craig Mack video where they had a Bad Boy remix like you were talking about about.. of Flavor in Your Ear, and even though it had LL and Busta Rhymes on it, which are two rappers I've never really liked, the joint was blazing!!  Because that was the era, you had to come with some quality back then to get respect.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

PiLL CliNtOn

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 04:01:02 PM »
nahhh wouldnt say itsa classic, shits 3/5
CURRENTLY BUMPIN

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 10:43:29 AM »
it def made some kind of impact....

Mygla

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
He had ALOT of help on that album. You can see what happened when he started writing his own stuff on the 2nd one and with no Biggie how much of a difference there was.

Yeah that is true, but without Biggie, Puffy is like L.A. Reid or Babyface. A good executive for R&B acts so it works both ways. A great talent is a great talent and he was able to take Big's career to the next level, but it is not like Puff was working with Yung Joc, Big had skills. I just feel like No Way Out was more manufactured by alot of producers and ghostwriters to create that sound

change Biggie with Snoop and Puffy with Dre and you'll see that's no way to judge an album ;)

I like this album alot... I can't really comment too much on it's impact at the time, because when I was 11 I was all hyped up about "fuck the eastcoast, PIG" etc. But in retrospective I definately recognize it as a great album. Say what you want about Puff's production, but it is catchy as fuck!

StevenQBosell

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 02:10:48 PM »
He had ALOT of help on that album. You can see what happened when he started writing his own stuff on the 2nd one and with no Biggie how much of a difference there was.

Yeah that is true, but without Biggie, Puffy is like L.A. Reid or Babyface. A good executive for R&B acts so it works both ways. A great talent is a great talent and he was able to take Big's career to the next level, but it is not like Puff was working with Yung Joc, Big had skills. I just feel like No Way Out was more manufactured by alot of producers and ghostwriters to create that sound

change Biggie with Snoop and Puffy with Dre and you'll see that's no way to judge an album ;)

I like this album alot... I can't really comment too much on it's impact at the time, because when I was 11 I was all hyped up about "fuck the eastcoast, PIG" etc. But in retrospective I definately recognize it as a great album. Say what you want about Puff's production, but it is catchy as fuck!

Not only that; Aside from the glossy singles (Been Around The World, which is still BUMPIN, Missing You, and Can't Nobody Hold me Down) that album was fire back then and still is now. The rest of the beats on that album were hot, you can't tell me the 1st time you heard "Benjamins," you didn't thik that shit was bumpin, even if it was Puffy? I was 16 back then in 97, right when that East West bullshit was on...and even my diehard, West coast, 2pac stan friends who absolutly hated "P.I.G."  were bumping that Puff Daddy record for a long minute.

I think we forgot just how big that record was... for the time, and for what it was, no question for me that reccord is cllearly classic

1980DRE

• 'G'
  • Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week...
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 09:34:36 PM »

Not only that; Aside from the glossy singles (Been Around The World, which is still BUMPIN, Missing You, and Can't Nobody Hold me Down) that album was fire back then and still is now. The rest of the beats on that album were hot, you can't tell me the 1st time you heard "Benjamins," you didn't thik that shit was bumpin, even if it was Puffy? I was 16 back then in 97, right when that East West bullshit was on...and even my diehard, West coast, 2pac stan friends who absolutly hated "P.I.G."  were bumping that Puff Daddy record for a long minute.

I think we forgot just how big that record was... for the time, and for what it was, no question for me that reccord is cllearly classic

i remember putting the beginning of "Benjamins" on my pager-voicemail-intro.....lol.... that shit was hot....

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 10:54:50 PM »
anyone got a link to this cd????

Al Bundy

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 01:32:04 AM »
And remember Bad Boy kinda started that "Mafioso" glossy hip hop.

Couple of tracks on Ready to Die so yeah techically. It really jumped out after Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 01:42:36 AM »
I say 4/5.  Not quite a classic but still one damn good album.  Diddy sure did have some dope ghostwriters back then, and plus Biggie and The Lox were real hard.  I still bump this album no doubt

StevenQBosell

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »
And remember Bad Boy kinda started that "Mafioso" glossy hip hop.

Couple of tracks on Ready to Die so yeah techically. It really jumped out after Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Yup, then everyone started doing it, Rae, Nas, even 2pac you can say had a little Mafioso rhymes is his raps.

LOL but the culmination of that was "The Firm"

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
its a classic in my book

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »
I say 4/5.  Not quite a classic but still one damn good album.  Diddy sure did have some dope ghostwriters back then, and plus Biggie and The Lox were real hard.  I still bump this album no doubt

and black rob who is way under rated

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

teecee

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2007, 08:35:49 AM »
This came out when i was 17 and right in the middle of the east-west bullshit.  I hated Puff, but really, you could not front on this cd. 

It isn't flawless by any means, Puff sucks at rapping, yet somehow  he made a classic cd.  The guests and the standout cuts make it a classic, something you can't take away from hiphop.  VICTORY is one of the best songs ever created in hiphop history if you ask me, that shit is straight CRAZY. 

Love this cd, will probably always bump it.  Puff can't produce, can't write, can't rap, yet the cd is amazing!  Dude is a genius for real.