Author Topic: Does the society make a person happy, or do they make themselves happy?  (Read 1004 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

That didn't make much sense. You will continue to receive more bills regardless... I don't know how forcing yourself to like paying bills will bring you wealth or anything else you desire LOL.... you can't subconsciously create a way to attain things if they're not attainable. If you want money, you go fucking work. All those people buying lottery tickets are attracted to the jackpot, but just because their minds are attracted to it, doesn't mean they're all going to win. Like I said before... some things are within your reach and control, and some aren't.... lying to yourself isn't going to help you.

Believe me, I understand your point fully.  I was simply explaining the concept because someone asked what it was all about.

However, I do think there is some truth to it.  Because thoughts are things.  The things we think about often manifest themselves physically.  Knowing this, encourages us to pay greater attention to our thoughts, and if we improve the quality of our thoughts, then it is likely that our physical life will improve.

This concept is backed by the Qu'ran.  Allah says in Qu'ran verse 13:11 that he will "not change the condition of a person until they first change that which is within themselves."   -------that's a similar concept bro.  Do you see the parallels?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:58:20 AM by Shakur Abdul-Latif's Definition Of Hip-Hop..by -Infinite- »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Chief

it's called a diamond in the rough.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
I also don't buy that bullshit they try to sell you in that book/movie "The Secret"

Seriously, "The Secret"-the way I see it- is just another way to blame the poor for being poor and praise the rich for being rich....It basically sayes "look if u're poor it's cause of the law of attraction, you brought it on yourself by thinking negative...the oil companies and the president are not to blame". I think it's just an attempt at fancy state capitalist propaganda.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!

That didn't make much sense. You will continue to receive more bills regardless... I don't know how forcing yourself to like paying bills will bring you wealth or anything else you desire LOL.... you can't subconsciously create a way to attain things if they're not attainable. If you want money, you go fucking work. All those people buying lottery tickets are attracted to the jackpot, but just because their minds are attracted to it, doesn't mean they're all going to win. Like I said before... some things are within your reach and control, and some aren't.... lying to yourself isn't going to help you.

Believe me, I understand your point fully.  I was simply explaining the concept because someone asked what it was all about.

However, I do think there is some truth to it.  Because thoughts are things.  The things we think about often manifest themselves physically.  Knowing this, encourages us to pay greater attention to our thoughts, and if we improve the quality of our thoughts, then it is likely that our physical life will improve.

This concept is backed by the Qu'ran.  Allah says in Qu'ran verse 13:11 that he will "not change the condition of a person until they first change that which is within themselves."   -------that's a similar concept bro.  Do you see the parallels?

Things will manifest themselves physically regardless of whether you think about them or not... you thinking about them doesn't do anything... now if you think about them, think of a way to attain them, and then work towards that goal, that's different... but simply thinking about something isn't going to make it manifest physically... if it does, it would have regardless of your thoughts.

lol @ the concept is backed by the Qur'an... that quote has nothing at all to do with the law of attraction... read 13:10 and then the lines you omitted in 13:11 that preceed the one you just pulled... no parallel... sorry bro. It's saying that Allah will not change one's condition unless they personally make a genuine effort themselves to strive for that change.... same shit I said about if you want something and think about it, then you gotta figure a way to attain it, and work towards it.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Elevz

Happiness is an emotional or affective state that is characterized by feelings of enjoyment and satisfaction. It is not a decision.

That all depends on how much you control emotion. All that emotion is, is the outcome of a sum of internal and external factors. The internal is what you value, the external is what happens to the things you value. The result is emotion.

With that being said, do you control your values? Do you have a will that's free enough to decide what you do like and what you don't like? Because that would give you more or less control over your emotions. By holding on to the right values, you can make yourself happy.

If you have a lot of things, you're not going to just be settled, you're gonna want more. In that case you'll never be happy because you won't reach a limit on the things that will make you happy. If you don't have a lot of things, you're always gonna be bothered about not having enough and you're going to be constantly fighting for new things.

So the only way to be happy, is by reaching your limits, knowing there's no going any further?

It shouldn't all be that hard to grasp. Of course, everyone's a part of society, and that's definately what shapes us. Everything that surrounds you is what becomes you. One doesn't choose to differ; you'll have to learn how to choose to differ first. That knowledge is also something your environment will have to provide you with. In a way, all the options we have come from all that surrounds us. They are what feeds our external influences.
At the same time, everyone has a mind of their own. You were born with the capacity to judge external influences, and use that knowledge. In other words: yes, society does provide you with all the ingredients, but it's totally up to the individual to start the process of being happy.

It's all about standards really. Why do you think people with down syndrome often are so incredibly happy? That's because they've learned to value something as small as a flower. They don't even have to bother with quantum mechanics and a highly paid job in the lab to live up to their expectations. They know no better; their values don't reach any further.

Now what I'm saying is most definately not for everyone to start dumbing yourselves down or anything likewise. The opposite would be more fitting, because since we are thinking human beings, we can't escape that. Learn about morals, philosophy and the world we live in. It'll show you there's an alternative to the depressing state of society. It'll give you the answers to altering your inner self, so you'll be armed against all those possible negative external influences. I guess my answer has become very clear by now... If people don't make themselves happy, who will do it for them?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I agree with Jamal on this.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

AndrE16686

but not everyone understands happiness is a decision that they have to make for themselves.. I've been to 11 countries, I know what it's like to be amongst filthy rich muthafucaz who have every reason to be happy but somehow are a much bigger wreck than the people I ran wit in the murder capitals of the nation for example. My grandma in the middle east is as happy as it gets where she is, but still sleeps on floors and goes outside in the backyard to take a shit in a hole in the ground.. ya dig what I'm sayin? you can't say it's society.. if a close one to you dies for example, you can decide to be happy for their life and cherish the times they were here or you can become depressed and blame god.. these are all decisions. Most people ain't in tune with their souls, so they can't make the right decisions.

It shouldn't all be that hard to grasp. Of course, everyone's a part of society, and that's definately what shapes us. Everything that surrounds you is what becomes you. One doesn't choose to differ; you'll have to learn how to choose to differ first. That knowledge is also something your environment will have to provide you with. In a way, all the options we have come from all that surrounds us. They are what feeds our external influences.
At the same time, everyone has a mind of their own. You were born with the capacity to judge external influences, and use that knowledge. In other words: yes, society does provide you with all the ingredients, but it's totally up to the individual to start the process of being happy.

It's all about standards really. Why do you think people with down syndrome often are so incredibly happy? That's because they've learned to value something as small as a flower. They don't even have to bother with quantum mechanics and a highly paid job in the lab to live up to their expectations. They know no better; their values don't reach any further.

Now what I'm saying is most definately not for everyone to start dumbing yourselves down or anything likewise. The opposite would be more fitting, because since we are thinking human beings, we can't escape that. Learn about morals, philosophy and the world we live in. It'll show you there's an alternative to the depressing state of society. It'll give you the answers to altering your inner self, so you'll be armed against all those possible negative external influences. I guess my answer has become very clear by now... If people don't make themselves happy, who will do it for them?

Word, posts were realness.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 08:42:57 PM by The Overfiend »

XaNdEr

I think everyone can make themselves happy without the society, it is an individual feeling. Everybody feels happiness in a different way so it has nothing to do with any common feeling or any society in general.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
HAPPINESS IS A DECISION, NOT AN EMOTION.

^^^ I strongly disagree.  Happiness is an involuntary emotion, that is a response to events that either are in conflict or in harmony with your inner person. 

XaNdEr

^ I agree with you, i don't think you can force happiness in any way. You can do things, influence situations etc. but at the end of the day your own inner person makes you hate or love the outcome of it.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The only way you can force happiness is doing heroin.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

AndrE16686

HAPPINESS IS A DECISION, NOT AN EMOTION.

^^^ I strongly disagree.  Happiness is an involuntary emotion, that is a response to events that either are in conflict or in harmony with your inner person. 

If you are thinking of happiness as reacting with laughter to a funny joke, then that is one form of happiness, but a very basic, superficial part of happiness. What 11 to 3 said about the downsyndrome kid was interesting, the kid is happy just wit the flower, more 'intelligent' people decide they need certain things and to do certain things to be happy. I think if you convince yourself that happiness is a certain thing, feeling, situation, etc you will not be happy, when it is actually alot more simple yet profound. I think a part of it is being down with yourself, recognising that you can be happy and peaceful without shit to complement you, we seem to build up a big definition of ourselves about who we are like 'I'm black/white wear this shit, like this shit, I got this type of personality, I down with this, wit them, I would do this in that situation, etc' Part of that inner peace is recognising that you are, regardless of that mental picture of yourself.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:41:36 AM by The Overfiend »

ekmek

What is that? The "Secret" you're talking about.

It's a book and video that has become really popular.  It teaches about the law of attraction.  Which basically means, the thoughts that go on inside your mind dictate your reality. 

For example, if you get a bill in the mail, and you think about how angry you are that you got a bill in the mail, then you will continue to recieve more bills that you don't like. 

But on the other hand, if you think about how happy you are that you got something, or visualize yourself getting happiness, wealth, or having anything you desire, then your mind will become attracted to that thing and it will subconsciously create a way for you to attain it.

...there's definitely some truth to all that.

So if I imagine myself liking school (which is almost impossible for me) I will start to really like it and start going more?
i think he means that if you think positive everything will be ok.when you think negative shit happens all the time

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
The only way you can force happiness is doing heroin.

Yeah, but that don't even make ya happy.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Okay.. I started this thread.. I read everyone's posts...it seems there's an argument on whether or not you can make yourself happy... now I want to finally post my own thoughts.

The Idea You Can Make Yourself Happy

^^I used to agree with that....

When it comes to psychology I used to favor the teachings of James Redfield the most.  And like many of these new school psychologists they are all into the "thinking positive" concept although ofcourse his knowledge wasn't simply that, it was much broader in it's scope, however, for the sake of this discussion.. let me just classify him in that "power of positive thinking" category that seems to be popular these days, for example, you got Russel Simmons has a best selling book right now about Yoga teachings which I'd also throw into that "power of positive thinking" category (although, again, ofcourse it's much deeper than that).

The Idea That Happiness Is An Involuntary Emotion

^^... now I agree with this one ^^

Now I'm more into the psychology that Harry Browne expresses in his revolutionary book "How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World".  This book is one of a kind.  He points out that happiness is a involuntary emotion.  And if we force ourselves to think positive and try to cover up emotions we are uncomfortable with or consider socially unacceptable, then we may actually be hiding valuable information from ourselves that may indicate to us the path we truly want to take with our life.

He points out another vital error in the teachings of "positive thinking" guru's like the James Redfields of the world and the people that made "The Secret".   Basically, they are restricting their own freedom, because in their positive thinking visions, they imagine that they already have the things that they want, or the woman or man they want for a relationship.  The problem with that is, we only have control over our own life, and not the lives of other people, so as long as our dreams involve commitments from other people, we will never be free, because we will be dependent on them.  Harry Browne teaches to live your life exactly the way you want it, but with a clear understanding that you can only effect your own life and not others.