Author Topic: Xzibit- "At The Speed Of Light" Appreciation Thread... way hip-hop used to be  (Read 336 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
This album came out when I was 14, I remember reading about him in the Source, but I didn't really pay much attention to it, till I was 18; which was in the year 2,000 because by that time Xzibit was affiliated with Dre and was set to blow up, I started going back and buying up all his old material.

I don't think I would of liked this album when I was 14, because really the album is mostly about his struggle to confront this crazy world and be a man about everything he is encountering. 

He comes out on fire, the opening title track "At The Speed of Light" is FIRE!!!  That track is a 10!!  It may even be the best track he ever recorded.  The beat is bangin... he speaks on the state of hip-hop declining, which I believe actually began that year, because in 96' was when 2pac died.   He says in the track, "Before hip-hop was all about drama/ Kain fucked Maddonna", he says, "now the blind just follow the blind" saying hip-hop was forgetting it's roots and there was no leadership as things were about to change. 

"Foundation" is a great song about early fatherhood, and what his son is going to face in this wretched life.

"Papparazzi" is a classic underground song.  I think he represented the voice of California's underground at a time when Cali was ruling the hip-hop mainstream.

The tracks above are all flawless tracks, the album contains no filler as every song is dope, and he comes with solid lyrial skills every time out.   
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Lunatic

yea album is amazing...this should be in the west coast forum bro
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lil D

yeah man, i was like 14 too when i bought this album, at that age i didnt really listened to lyrics but now at an older age i really appriciate X's work, too bad his last album didnt do good

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yea album is amazing...this should be in the west coast forum bro

eNgIeS

great album & 2nd album was great too

the next 3 were very good albums too then he fell off with the latest one bare a few tracks

Invincible

This is his best album in my opinion. I fully appreciate it. It was solid from start to finish.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Great album, I used to bump this non-stop.

Okka

Classic in my eyes, "Birds Eye View", "Paparazzi", "Foundation", "At The Speed Of Life" & "Carry The Weight" are the best tracks on the album...

Doggystylin

Yeah I always loved this album, used to bump it all the time in high school, I need to go back to it though, I haven't listened to it for a while.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Yeah I always loved this album, used to bump it all the time in high school, I need to go back to it though, I haven't listened to it for a while.

You can't go back to it.. lol.. I got your copy.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
'Papparazzi' is one of them songs you can play over and over and over and over and over and over and never get sick of it.

Paul

i could never get into this album and always thought paparazi was kinda annoying, ill give it another listen though

i always prefered Restless and 40 days and 40 nights
funkyfreshintheflesh

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
'Papparazzi' is one of them songs you can play over and over and over and over and over and over and never get sick of it.

The whole album is solid, but that track in particular is one of my all time favourites. If I had to make just one CD to listen to for the rest of my life, "Paparazzi" would be on it.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah Paparazzi is one of the best songs ever. Also it's one of the first hip-hop songs I ever heard & that got me into hip-hop.

On The Edge of Insanity

Foundation was always my favourite track from this, the piano loop is just so damn dope. Pity X became everything he dissed on Paparazzi.