Author Topic: Official ATL thread(Above the Law, Not Atlanta)  (Read 16603 times)

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
Re: Finally heard Black Mafia Life
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 08:10:52 AM »
I read somewhere (maybe in the Ronin Ro book) that ATL was supposed to/wanted to bail on Ruthless along with Dre, DOC & Michel'le, that could be one of the reasons Dre didn't diss them on The Chronic and the other way around

They didn't leave ruthless due to their loyalty to eric and then nobody was going to take orders from suge at the time so they stayed down with E. But the reason that Dre didn't diss was he didn't want any beef with ATL and he also didn't want to give them any spotlight to claim that they came up with, not only the g-funk sound but the g-funk terminology.Dre played it smart but at that time knowbody really wanted to beef with ATL at this time because they were known then for being nortorious with their agressiveness behaviour,particularly the squabble with cube at the new music seminar.

DJSpin

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »
I read somewhere (maybe in the Ronin Ro book) that ATL was supposed to/wanted to bail on Ruthless along with Dre, DOC & Michel'le, that could be one of the reasons Dre didn't diss them on The Chronic and the other way around

They didn't leave ruthless due to their loyalty to eric and then nobody was going to take orders from suge at the time so they stayed down with E. But the reason that Dre didn't diss was he didn't want any beef with ATL and he also didn't want to give them any spotlight to claim that they came up with, not only the g-funk sound but the g-funk terminology.Dre played it smart but at that time knowbody really wanted to beef with ATL at this time because they were known then for being nortorious with their agressiveness behaviour,particularly the squabble with cube at the new music seminar.

what happended with cube and atl?

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 08:15:41 AM »
Great post
About time the board had a good debate about some real West coast music  :D

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 08:28:27 AM »
Another thread that makes me laugh ... yeah Dre stole beats , used a lot of samples , didn't credit some people work but I don't think you can have a such carreer without having at least some talents... Dre is one (if not the main) reason of the past success of the West and nowadays new West rappers still beggin for a Dre beat , even if his downfall has begun ...
Basically dawg it is the principle because if you look at it, the blue print of these concepts,sounds etc this created this westcoast thang from snoop to marshall mathers,from deathrow to aftermath. G-funk was the new explosion after N.W.A and with the sound you have what we do today. Snoop dogg knows he was influence by ATL because they put him on the N.W.A set,Aint knowbody questioning Dre's omnipotence his omnipresent nature,it is the principle behind the matter that he didn't give knowbody props. He still to this day goes around and acts like Eric's contribution to N.W.A is insignificant without his beats.He doesn't want to give E props for the vision of the group,what niggas was wearing how they dressed, the lyrical content, the character. None of these dudes from Dre,cube,ren and yella were street dudes. None of them sold dope and none of them were into any type of gangsterism. N.W.A.,dopeman,F- the police were concepts created by Eazy. E would have to tell them fools to stop writing korny beatsie boy,B-boy rhymes. Dre and evrybody else want to focus on E not writing his own lyrics but without E's mind and real gangster experience you wouldn't have those rhymes.

The same with G-funk, the name aftermath records etc. Dre is a a mega producer, better than hutch and anyone else but it is the princple behind this matter. He didn't create the wheel by himself

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 08:30:50 AM »
So, I know this is common knowledge but Dirty Left was reminding me the other day about how when snoop was first chilling with dre, he was in the studio right around the time N.W.A was finishing up EFIL4ZAGGIN, hanging with ATL as they were doing Black Mafia Life (some accounts even say that this is how snoop and Pac first met as Pac is on BML) and Dre was in the studio while they were making it (though he wasn't involved like he was with LLH) near his last days at Ruthless.
  This makes sense to me as they don't diss Dre/DR on BML even though it came out in 93. Eazy mentions the lack of Dre, but it's not a diss. actually he's complimenting dre. he says something to the effect of "i know dre didn't do it, but gimme that beat"

originaLLy snoop even laid down a verse i believe for atl during this period, it was for never missin a beat i believe. imagine, ren pac and e with atl all on one lp,
he used to roll around with atl before the chronic

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 08:42:11 AM »
So, I know this is common knowledge but Dirty Left was reminding me the other day about how when snoop was first chilling with dre, he was in the studio right around the time N.W.A was finishing up EFIL4ZAGGIN, hanging with ATL as they were doing Black Mafia Life (some accounts even say that this is how snoop and Pac first met as Pac is on BML) and Dre was in the studio while they were making it (though he wasn't involved like he was with LLH) near his last days at Ruthless.
  This makes sense to me as they don't diss Dre/DR on BML even though it came out in 93. Eazy mentions the lack of Dre, but it's not a diss. actually he's complimenting dre. he says something to the effect of "i know dre didn't do it, but gimme that beat"

originaLLy snoop even laid down a verse i believe for atl during this period, it was for never missin a beat i believe. imagine, ren pac and e with atl all on one lp,
he used to roll around with atl before the chronic

Snoop wasn't around at the time of niggas for life. ATL gave snoop his first shot at recording anything outside of a backyard demo. Dre wasn't messing with his little brother warren until he seen Hutch's interest in snoop.They had snoop booked to start recoding his demo but he never showed up to the studio,what precedes this was snoop and warren in the studio with Dre working on  pre death row material. Eazy said I know Dre didn't do it because ATL wanted their props  because Dre was given all the credit for producing Livin like hustlers.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 08:44:19 AM »
Great post
About time the board had a good debate about some real West coast music  :D

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »
i really don't think hutch had all these ideas and dre went in and took them and made his own shit. i imagine they both worked on the formula. they were both on ruthless and were both cool with one another. i think they probably both had some ideas and built on each others. we know with songs like always into somethin dre was heading in the g funk direction. i understand why hutch was pissed off at dre either way though. dre took a lot of the stuff hutch worked hard at and contributed to and passed it off completely as his own. i wonder if dre didn't release it first intentionally. if dre dissed above the law though i think it would make people listen to what atl had to say and make them doubt dre possibly. the way he did it the general public was barely aware black mafia life existed. i think dre knew more about producing and making a more polished sound. plus atl didn't know how to get in the limelight and make music the masses would love. i think this is how black mafia life got to be a forgotten gem and chronic a household name because of this. it's sad because chronic wouldn't have been as good without hutches ideas.

The King Of L.A

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK YOU !!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 10:04:32 AM »
I rather have a classic chronic then have a unknown good album........ wiggers yall dont know what went down behind close doors so all you can do is speculate

wcsoldier

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 10:14:32 AM »
^^^^ your sig is digusting lol

The King Of L.A

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK YOU !!!
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »

sig or avatar ...lol...

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 10:26:34 AM »
Props to 3331.... Alwayz In To Something was a foreshadow of things to come by Dre.... although Hutch was on to the slowed up version of Knee Deep first...

hell... as long as both give true credit to george clinton and bootsy collins, then its all good....
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

wcsoldier

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »

sig or avatar ...lol...
the bitch slappin lol

The King Of L.A

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK YOU !!!
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »

sig or avatar ...lol...
the bitch slappin lol

thats what we do to white hoes...lol...slap a white hoe and you be stress free the whole day...is therapy

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:59 AM »
Props to 3331.... Alwayz In To Something was a foreshadow of things to come by Dre.... although Hutch was on to the slowed up version of Knee Deep first...

hell... as long as both give true credit to george clinton and bootsy collins, then its all good....
No it wasn't what was to come. Dre was into rock at the time,mike sims was the guitar player them dudes was on a whole different tip. When ATl came to ruthless records,N.W.A was doing hip hop sounding east coast,run dmc,beasti boy influneced records. When ATl came to ruthless then you started hear and see the color the r& b aspect of gangsta rap. Songs like ballin which is a cameo sample,these joints were what was to come as pre stages of G-funk. You also have to take heed to the funk singing aspect with kokane doing the hooks which was another element ATl brought into the mix. Atl brought the player,hustler vibrations to the N.W.A gang and Dre followed suit and started to put color and pimp,plaerism into his music. Before aTl N.W.A was all black and white like Run Dmc.

The reggae on always into something was a concept that Dre got from kokane who brought the reggae aspect to the family.Which later you hear snoop attempt to perfrom on the chronic

Gangsta funk isn't just a sound it was a way of niggas doing their gangsta rap. G-funk was a rap style not just a sound and this why you hear warren g,snoop hollering G-funk which they got from their big homies ATl. They not only listen to never missing a beat and copied the sound idea but they also took the g-funk style ,which is teh terminology G-funk,which warren tried to popularize as his own.

The aftermath records name Dre got the idea from kokane's album. When you hear Shaki aka Dirty red doing a long intro on what the black mob wanted to call themselves and this was the aftermath, thsi is on kokan's funk upon a rhyme on a song called the aftermath. If you listen to shaki and you listen to how the aftermath now do their intro's,you will see the influence with this as well.

Dre copyied the idea the sound and rap style concept, but the only difference with all of this is Dre is  better producer than hutch. Dre is a real producer who can take what you do and make it 1000 times better.