Author Topic: Official ATL thread(Above the Law, Not Atlanta)  (Read 16571 times)

Blu Lacez

Re: Finally heard Black Mafia Life
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2007, 04:44:43 AM »
Excellent topic.  It's like homie said, Dre is a true producer.  He'll take your shit and make it sound 100x better.  It's no coincidence that some of the greatest Hip Hop made over the last 20 years has had Dre as the common denominator.  He fundamentally understands what makes music dope.  And yeah, you always here cats that he worked with in the past always saying some shit like "Dre stole that beat from me", "I ghost produced", etc.  But the cats that said that shit haven't really done shit since fuckin with Dre, so their arguement doesn't hold much water.

And yeah, surely Dre heard some concepts and samples from ATL, but he took them to a whole nother level.  He was able to make that sound come together better.  But I def agree that it really seems as though The Chronic is a very similar album to Black Mafia Life.

Oh and props to that Shaka Zulu cat for droppin some knowledge. 

This is one of the best discussions on the West Coast section that I can remember for a long ass time.

I whole heartedly agree; felt like I had to bring it back.

-T

Guess T said it Best! 8)
Blu!

Blu Lacez

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2007, 04:48:44 AM »
Blu, aight, i checked the dre tat, you're right. it's just the spider web, i was trippin. so eazy and dre probly DIDN'T make a satanic pact together. cool.

-T

Hahaha!! ;D
Yeah I don't think they Did, besides Dre's hands just got Tat'ed Up!
if you look at Chronic 2001 pics for the Cd, Booklet, the back cover of the booklet, Dre has no aforementioned Tats on his hands, and that was in 2000/2001.

But i agree i trip!!
+1
Blu!

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
Blu, aight, i checked the dre tat, you're right. it's just the spider web, i was trippin. so eazy and dre probly DIDN'T make a satanic pact together. cool.

-T

Hahaha!! ;D
Yeah I don't think they Did, besides Dre's hands just got Tat'ed Up!
if you look at Chronic 2001 pics for the Cd, Booklet, the back cover of the booklet, Dre has no aforementioned Tats on his hands, and that was in 2000/2001.

But i agree i trip!!
+1
Blu!

so you're saying dre got those cats very recently?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Blu Lacez

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »

^^Well the Tat on Both his hands yes, cuz they were done By Mr Cartoon, in 2004

Not sure of the Tat on his shoulder, nor the Tat on his inner left arm, think he had those aforementined Tats(shoulder & Inner Left Arm) done before, cuz on the 2001 Chronic Tour, the scene with Dre with the Girls in the Bathtub, when he calls Snoop, you can see his Tats!
So these ones were probably done  earlier, but his Tat on his both his hands are recent-ish circa 2004

Blu!

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »
oh shit, i just remembered that mr.cartoon did those crazy vans that one cat has in his sig here, that dude's the shit.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

JohnnyL

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2007, 10:43:22 PM »
 Regarding the Tat on Eazy's hand, Heller said in a recent interview that he couldn't remember exactly what it was, but it did have something to do with the occult.  He did go on to say though, that Eazy didn't worship Satan or anything, he was just really into scary movies.

As far as the subject concerning ATL's "Black Mafia Life" album, I have to say that in my opinion, it marked the origin of G-Funk.  I'm not taking anything away from Dre or Snoop.  They definately were the first to take the music to a new level of commercial success.  You might say they were the first to make that style of music successful with the mainstream.  I also have to agree with Tanj that I don't think that "Black Mafia Life' as an album is the masterpiece that "The Chronic" was.  But listening to it, you can tell that it must have heavily influenced what would define the westcoast sound for the early to mid nineties.

Now as far as why, ATL weren't dissed on "The Chronic," that's really anybody's guess.  It could be that at first, neither record label thought the beef situation was going to escalate like it did.  After all, Snoop was reportedly on good terms with Above the Law (at least initially).  Dre was supposed to still be cool with Ren and Yella.  It may also have been because they were "borrowing" Above the Law's sound for their record.  Or maybe they heard about how ATL beat Ice Cube's ass, and that made them think twice.  It's hard to say, really. 

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2007, 03:02:09 AM »
yo i just realized that somebody mentioned dre got his little handfold tat COVERED by the mr.cartoon stuff. the mystery continues.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2007, 09:17:02 AM »
Dope topic Tanj. This thread reminded me though that someone JACKED my BML so I am going to have to cop it again. I have been bumping Uncle Sam's Curse though for a bit. That is a nice album also.

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2007, 10:03:11 AM »
damn this thread has become 2 seperate topics

the issue of black mafia life and the creation of g-funk with dre and hutch

&

eazy and dres pentagram devil tattoo's

very good thread, great read

ps

i think its time to start an above the law movement similar to the dangerous crew movement,

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2007, 10:07:02 AM »
damn this thread has become 2 seperate topics

the issue of black mafia life and the creation of g-funk with dre and hutch

&

eazy and dres pentagram devil tattoo's

very good thread, great read

ps

i think its time to start an above the law movement similar to the dangerous crew movement,

also the first usage of the word g funk

a)Pac on BML
b) ATL on BML
c) DR camp on Let Me Ride G-Funk remix

all in 93^^

I'm down for that movement but I'ma change my shit to support hillary clinton for a minute, then it's on.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

dexter

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
I rather have a classic chronic then have a unknown good album........ wiggers yall dont know what went down behind close doors so all you can do is speculate
true

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »
I rather have a classic chronic then have a unknown good album........ wiggers yall dont know what went down behind close doors so all you can do is speculate
true

noone's trying to put BML above the chronic, we're just speaking on the likeliness of conceptual groundwork being worked on by all involved parties pre-DR exodus.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »
ruthless is sitting on a goldmine of released and unreleased shit
id love to see them bang out some compilations like deathrow does of there classic shit

Mygla

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
Interesting topic... lots of new info from Shaka that I didn't know, props!, but (and I mean no offence) you do sound a lil' bit biased towards Eazy/Ruthless.

try 1998/1999 Game ;)

Blu Lacez

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2007, 05:09:38 PM »
Interesting topic... lots of new info from Shaka that I didn't know, props!, but (and I mean no offence) you do sound a lil' bit biased towards Eazy/Ruthless.

try 1998/1999 Game ;)

^^
 8)
Oh Yeah, Playa!!
Was a bit confused, Props on clarifying the year!! ;D
+1
Blu!