Author Topic: Official ATL thread(Above the Law, Not Atlanta)  (Read 16616 times)

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Finally heard Black Mafia Life
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »
i dont think no ones tryin to be biased, it is what it is
ppl have there own opinions on ruthless and deathrow

i love the music both camps put out
but i like ruthless better, not sayin that i hate deathrow

on this topic people can sit and talk all day
at the end, it dont matter

both lables are preeety much dead or sleeping in ruthless's case

all we can do is just appreciate the hits

Blu Lacez

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »
i dont think no ones tryin to be biased, it is what it is
ppl have there own opinions on ruthless and deathrow

i love the music both camps put out
but i like ruthless better, not sayin that i hate deathrow

on this topic people can sit and talk all day
at the end, it dont matter

both lables are preeety much dead or sleeping in ruthless's case

all we can do is just appreciate the hits

^^^
Dope, culda'nt have said it Better!!
Have a Prop!
+1
Blu!

daWappla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Wean! ... oda wos is?
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
^

Props and thanks for the scans, Iīm about to read them soon.

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2007, 06:42:10 PM »
i wanna read them but i don't really want to read them scanned like that.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2007, 01:57:48 AM »
damn you certainly have a lot of scans of interviews, nice  ;)

cold187 was certainly jealous. sure dre may have used similar samples, but it's not like he stole beats from 187. besides, black mafia life and the chronic weren't the first albums for which funk samples were used so; it doesn't matter who invented g-funk.

anyway, it's all about the final product, and i prefer the chronic over black mafia life. black mafia life sounds old in compared to the chronic; uncle sams curse was a better g-funk album than black mafia life imo(with outstanding tracks black superman and kalifornia 8). and cold187 made some dope beats for Ren on the villain in black as well, so it's not that i think that he's a bad producer, but hopefully for him, he's not jealous anymore.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:46:10 AM by Dre-Day »

Tha Psycho Hustla

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2007, 05:51:19 AM »
Itīs One Of The Classics We Love West Coast For.
Dre Stole Shit Back In The Days And Still Does.
"Who Been There, Who Done That" By J-Flexx Is Best Song About That Situation.
What You Mean ATL Put Pac On NWA-Tree?With One Feature?I See What You Sayin But..It Was One Feature.
Snoop Was Down With ATL Before The Chronic?Never Knew That.
What I Heard Is: Pac Was In The Studio When NWA Were Recording Niggaz4Life,So Was Kokane, Is That True?

Tha Psycho Hustla

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2007, 07:32:24 AM »
Snoop Was Down With ATL Before The Chronic? Never Knew That.

Check the bonus Snoop interview on Welcome to Death Row DVD for the full story.

What I Heard Is: Pac
Was In The Studio When NWA Were Recording Niggaz4Life,
So Was Kokane,Is That True?

Yep,get this this DVD;

http://www.amazon.com/Tha-Westside-Mopreme/dp/B00006LPDN/ref=sr_1_7/104-1374017-3992708?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194099635&sr=1-7

Thereīs a long interview with Kokane,he talks about hanging with Pac in the Studio while NWA was recording Niggaz4Life.
Kokane appeared on the intro as Sweet Talk,his alter ego. Yo Kokane bring Sweet Talk back,we miss him.  :D

Thx 4 Tha Info.
I Had But I Lost It (W2DR DVD) Can You Tell Me What Snoop Says?

If Pac And Kane Were In THe Studio, Why They Didnīt Do Shit?(Esp. Pac?).
How Did He Get With NWA (In The Lab)?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »
what are you talking about? dre has switched his production style at least two times since he left death row.
maybe at death row some of the songwriters and producers didn't get proper credit, but that's not only dre's fault(have you forgotten how death row was started?). with aftermath everybody gets the credit(as far as i know) for what they've contributed to a song; i'm not sure if they get paid properly, but if dre really was a thief he'd probably be sued(the D.O.C.  death row issue was handled in court right?) .
the way i see it, a lot of people that dre has worked with in the past are jealous of his success. sure it may be cheap that he used similar samples as above the law did for black mafia life, but like i said before, dre and 187 are not the first ones to use such funk samples for their production, so if you call what dre did stealing, i guess you can call all producers who sample, thiefs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:40:23 AM by Dre-Day »

Chad Vader

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »
Snoop Was Down With ATL Before The Chronic? Never Knew That.

Check the bonus Snoop interview on Welcome to Death Row DVD for the full story.

What I Heard Is: Pac
Was In The Studio When NWA Were Recording Niggaz4Life,
So Was Kokane,Is That True?

Yep,get this this DVD;

http://www.amazon.com/Tha-Westside-Mopreme/dp/B00006LPDN/ref=sr_1_7/104-1374017-3992708?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194099635&sr=1-7

Thereīs a long interview with Kokane,he talks about hanging with Pac in the Studio while NWA was recording Niggaz4Life.
Kokane appeared on the intro as Sweet Talk,his alter ego. Yo Kokane bring Sweet Talk back,we miss him.  :D

EDIT;
Hereīs the part where Kokane talks about hanging with pac while NWA recorded Niggaz4Life;
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QW8NVoMHgl0&amp;rel" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QW8NVoMHgl0&amp;rel</a>

Thx 4 Tha Info.
I Had But I Lost It (W2DR DVD) Can You Tell Me What Snoop Says?
If Pac And Kane Were In THe Studio,why They Didnīt Do Shit? (Esp. Pac?).
How Did He Get With NWA (In The Lab)?

Itīs too much for me,go and buy a new copy. Iīm sure your local outlet has it or google it.
I clearly wasnīt there so canīt answer how,why or what reason Pac was there.
But it would be only right to assume that since Black Mafia Life and Who Am I? (Dre mixed Kokaneīs Who Am I? album)
was recorded at the same time as Niggaz4Life in Audio Achivements studio in Torrance,(then again I can only assume) that Pac was there for his studio session with Above The Law for Black Mafia Life while Dre was working on Niggaz4Life in another room.
Itīs probably Shock G that introduced Pac to the Ruthless family while they was working on
"Weīre all in the same gang" and the track Shock G CO-Produced with Dre (TellinīTime).
If you ask about funk samples and the orgins of G-Funk,well this track is recorded in 1990 and is pretty similar to The Roach.
West Coast Rap All Stars - Tellin Time (Mikes Rap) (Prod By Dr. Dre & Shock G)
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=148897.0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:21:14 AM by Chadrick »

Chad Vader

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2007, 08:57:42 AM »
Cold187 was certainly jealous. Sure Dre may have used similar samples,but it's not like he stole beats from 187.
Besides,Black Mafia Life and The Chronic weren't the first albums for which funk samples were used so;
it doesn't matter who invented g-funk.

I went and got this quote from a another thread. I canīt say it better;
But I do get what youīre saying,I just donīt agree with the popular belief how "G-funk" was "created". 
Cold 187um can bitch all he want,but it was a collective effort over time that lead to that sound.
Open letter to The Source Mag.about your reviews and ratings of West Coast
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=156779.25

Anyway,it's all about the final product,and I prefer The Chronic over Black Mafia Life.
Black Mafia Life sounds old in compared to The Chronic;
Uncle Sams Curse was a better G-Funk album than Black Mafia Life imo (with outstanding tracks Black Superman and Kalifornia 8).
And Cold187 made some dope beats for Ren on The Villain In Black as well,so it's not that i think that he's a bad producer,
but hopefully for him,he's not jealous anymore.

Not sure I get what you mean about that Black Mafia Life sounds "old",but the album is poorly mixed.
Who Am I? is made in the same time frame with the "same" sound,but you can hear how Cold 187umīs production came out clearer with Dreīs mixing. I love Black Mafia Life for the record,but itīs a way different record than The Chronic.
So what if they used some of the same samples? Both was creative with them and in my opinion they donīt sound the same.
I got to give it up to Cold 187um tho,for always making consistent albums when he produce them top to bottom.
The work he did for The Villian In Black was fire too.
I might go as far as saying thatīs Renīs best album,but thatīs a hard one since theyīre all dope exept Ruthless For Life.  :-X
I think Cold 187umīs grudge against Dre is more about the things surrounding their EPIC deal that lead to them getting dropped.
Itīs a shame the way it turned out,Iīm sure if they got together again they would cook up some dope shit.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2007, 09:18:44 AM »
Cold187 was certainly jealous. Sure Dre may have used similar samples,but it's not like he stole beats from 187.
Besides,Black Mafia Life and The Chronic weren't the first albums for which funk samples were used so;
it doesn't matter who invented g-funk.

I went and got this quote from a another thread. I canīt say it better;
But I do get what youīre saying,I just donīt agree with the popular belief how "G-funk" was "created". 
Cold 187um can bitch all he want,but it was a collective effort over time that lead to that sound.
Open letter to The Source Mag.about your reviews and ratings of West Coast
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=156779.25

Anyway,it's all about the final product,and I prefer The Chronic over Black Mafia Life.
Uncle Sams Curse was a better G-Funk album than Black Mafia Life imo (with outstanding tracks Black Superman and Kalifornia 8).
And Cold187 made some dope beats for Ren on The Villain In Black as well,so it's not that i think that he's a bad producer,
but hopefully for him,he's not jealous anymore.

Not sure I get what you mean about that Black Mafia Life sounds "old",but the album is poorly mixed.
Who Am I? is made in the same time frame with the "same" sound,but you can hear how Cold 187umīs production came out clearer with Dreīs mixing. I love Black Mafia Life for the record,but itīs a way different record than The Chronic.
So what if they used some of the same samples? Both was creative with them and in my opinion they donīt sound the same.
maybe the world old is not the right word, but i guess black mafia life wasn't mixed properly like you said; that's why i felt like black mafia life sounds "old" in compared to the chronic; uncle sam's curse sounds a lot better than black mafia life though. and i agree that the chronic sounds a lot different than black mafia life, only small parts sounds similar.

Chad Vader

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2007, 10:44:09 AM »

Maybe the world old is not the right word,but I guess Black Mafia Life wasn't mixed properly like you said;
that's why i felt like Black Mafia Life sounds "old" in compared to The Chronic;
Uncle Sam's Curse sounds a lot better than Black Mafia Life though.
And i agree that The Chronic sounds a lot different than Black Mafia Life,only small parts sounds similar.

Uncle Samīs Curse and Black Mafia Life is two differnt records,
in my opinion Black Mafia Life is maybe closer to Niggaz4Life than The Chronic. (Not really,but you get what I mean?)
Itīs sounds more "gangster" than "g-funk" maybe thatīs why you think it sounds old?
The Black Mafia Life album was delayed for release due to the problems with EPIC,so from what I understand the record was done a couple of months after Niggaz4Lifeīs release. But as you know it didnīt get released before a year or so later.
But to compare Black Mafia Life and The Chronic because of use of some of the same samples is just hilarious.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
in my opinion Black Mafia Life is maybe closer to Niggaz4Life than The Chronic. (Not really,but you get what I mean?)
Itīs sounds more "gangster" than "g-funk" maybe thatīs why you think it sounds old?
The Black Mafia Life album was delayed for release due to the problems with EPIC,so from what I understand the record was done a couple of months after Niggaz4Lifeīs release. But as you know it didnīt get released before a year or so later.
yeah black mafia life sounds more like niggaz4life than the chronic(so it makes sense that it's from 1991), although the sound quality of niggaz4life is better imo( probably mixed better). but i'm not sure if i have listened to the OG release of niggaz4life or the remastered version ( i don't own the cd myself). it's just that the sound quality of black mafia life sounds similar to (rap) albums from the mid to late 80's. and black mafia life probably won't be remastered (anytime soon).

Chad Vader

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »

yeah Black Mafia Life sounds more like Niggaz4Life than The Chronic (so it makes sense that it's from 1991),
although the sound quality of Niggaz4Life is better imo (probably mixed better).
But i'm not sure if i have listened to the OG release of Niggaz4Life or the remastered version
(i don't own the cd myself).
It's just that the sound quality of Black Mafia Life sounds similar to (rap) albums from the mid to late 80's.
And Black Mafia Life probably won't be remastered (anytime soon).

Thatīs why I mentioned Kokanesīs Who Am I? which Cold 187um produced and Dr.Dre mixed,
it was recorded around the same time as Niggaz4Life and Black Mafia Life.
You can hear a clear difference,much like Dogg Food (also mixed by Dre) and Daz work without Dreīs mixing.
Cold 187um clearly didnīt master the art of mixing at the time mixed Black Mafia Life. But the "ghetto" sound got itīs charm.  :laugh:
I think they have only remastred Niggaz4Life once and that was when they re-released it with the 100 Miles and runninīEP.
So..... I got the OG,can PM it to you if you donīt have that version,
I have not heard the remastered version,so canīt tell the difference.
Niggaz4Life is arguable Dreīs best work,shit is flawless.  :D

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2007, 08:44:32 AM »
"Who Been There, Who Done That" By J-Flexx Is Best Song About That Situation.
What You Mean ATL Put Pac On NWA-Tree?With One Feature?I See What You Sayin But..It Was One Feature.
Snoop Was Down With ATL Before The Chronic?Never Knew That.
What I Heard Is: Pac Was In The Studio When NWA Were Recording Niggaz4Life,So Was Kokane, Is That True?

Pac was down with ATL and his affiliation with the ruthless family was through ATL period point blank. PAC was managed By Lay Law and if you know who LAY Law was you would know that Law was a original N.W.A. member who started ATL. Law is all the early N.W.A videos on album covers in magazines etc. Law is also the brother of Go-mack who is a member of ATL. Thug life is Black mafia life one and the same clique

ATL put pac down on the tree period point blank. Aint no way around that if you listen to one of them pac songs and he  mentiones his  influences and he talks about public enemy and above the law as amerikas nightmares. Clown around when I hang with the underground but when I'm wit that mafia I'm droppin ya or whatever he says it right there.