Author Topic: Going Off On Tanjints Vol.2: West coast music's purpose  (Read 1103 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Going Off On Tanjints Vol.2: West coast music's purpose
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »
 Around the time Damizza and BC's "Back B4 Ur Lonely" dropped, there was that DMX quote dissing the repetitive topics of WC rap and there wad that horribly scathing review of Back B4 Ur Lonely by that really east coast centric rap magazine/website and what I couldn't help but notice is how focused both of these sources were focused on lyrics.

I think these cats don't realize that lyrics are a secondary function and focus of West coast music. People came out to California to find gold, to become actors, and to experience freedom. Whereas the NY dream is more about making it big in whatever it is you're doing. That said, the music is going to have a different purpose, a different feel. West coast music is often about just recreating the feeling of a breezy sunset. To me the best example of this is Warren G's "This DJ". How does that not FEEL like a sunset?

Anyway, these scathing assessments of West coast rap seem completely ignorant of how sonically terrible most East coast/mainstream hip-hop sounds. Even Nas' latest album, while containting some dope raps sounds pretty horrible on a production level for the most part. There's like 5 hot beats on it. Really, Back B4 Ur Lonely is a better produced record than that one in my opinion. And that's not a diss to Nas; I think his whole point was to focus back on the raps (hence the accapella track at the end) but it's okay for East coast cats to be vocal-oriented but it's not okay for West coast cats to be production-oriented? It's alot of bias, and it seems like a case of one coast wanted to kick the other while they're down. West coast ain't making as much noise as it used to on the mainstream scene and some of these assholes want to remind us of that, knock our self esteem and keep it that way.

That said, the cat that reviewed Butch and Damizza didn't even realize that the record's just supposed to be some shit to feel good. Yeah, "Cruz'n" may not be the lyrical masterpiece that "NY State Of Mind" or even "Hip-Hop Is Dead" is but it's really funky, pretty, and great to chill and smoke to. These cats don't even realize what the music is for, nor are they in a context to enjoy it. What right do they have to speak so harshly on some independent cats trying to do the damn thing? It's one thing to say you don't like some shit; that's cool. But to say it's straight horrible when you don't even know what's going on? You can miss me with that shit.

West coast music has it's origins in funk. People weren't looking to George Clinton(not that he's West coast, but as far as the aesthetics of his music) for intelligence and political commentary (though sometimes he gave it, "Chocolate City" anyone?) they were looking for the newest beat to get stuck in their head and dance to. And to me, that's what alot of West coast music is about.

That's not to say alot of cats on the West shouldn't improve their topics/rapping, but I think you guys see my point and that's another discussion entirely.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Lunatic

Re: Going Off On Tanjints Vol.2: West coast music's purpose
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
the truth as usual

+1
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

d-nice

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:45:29 AM »
I think I started noticing a change in East Coast production around the time Dre did production for Nas on his second album. For the most part other than Cube working with the Bomb Squad, east stayed with east and vice versa on the production tip. But once our biggest producer started to work with Nas, I think it started a little bit of a change. Production after that did seem to change IMO. Not to say that authentic east coast sound was gone from Pete Rock, RZA, Premier, etc. Just that the more harder hitting, g-funk like production from a Dre, Storch, Rick Rock, etc was more in demand.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »
word, all the more reason for the dudes that dissed the shit out of Damizza/BC to show a little more respect.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »
nice essay from a close minded west coast gangsta rap fan  8)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
nice essay from a close minded west coast gangsta rap fan  8)

Oh shit, I thought we were on the west coast forum? Not douchebag central. Good lookin' dogg.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
no problem pothead keep it comin with these tired ass sermons  8)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »

what do you bring to the table?  where's a pic? and now that I think about it, where the fuck did they make you? where're you from?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »

what do you bring to the table?  where's a pic? and now that I think about it, where the fuck did they make you? where're you from?

-T

Just L.I.G. it Tanj.

CaliKorleone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 12:25:03 PM »
That's the truth.  It's different out here.  The west and east are very different.  Just the way it is. 
Welcome to the land of the killas, gangsta, hustlas, playas
Westcoast, The real life San Andreas
The real niggaz, jack suckas, fuck the haters
We got bitches, chronic, Lakers, Raiders

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 02:04:16 AM »

-T

Just L.I.G. it Tanj.

i'm assuming lig means let it go?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 06:41:45 AM »

I think these cats don't realize that lyrics are a secondary function and focus of West coast music.

-T

and right there is the problem with the west coast.

Id also take the production on nas album and the album over butch cassidy and damizza's. I appreciate what butch and damizza did but I wasnt really impressed with production, i didnt feel it suited butch. I was expecting beats more like "bang this", something smoother.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

We Fly High

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:57:02 AM »

I think these cats don't realize that lyrics are a secondary function and focus of West coast music.

-T

Indeed.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
fg
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:48 AM »

-T

Id also take the production on nas album and the album over butch cassidy and damizza's. I appreciate what butch and damizza did but I wasnt really impressed with production, i didnt feel it suited butch. I was expecting beats more like "bang this", something smoother.

^^
Yeah Butch needs almost real smooth, jazzy beats
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
i guess i didn't see it as a problem, cause sounding good is a secondary function of the east coast. for what one lacks in onem they excel in the other.

I felt stuff like the title track, 'cruz'n' and some others were great for butch.

-T

westcoastavengers.com