Author Topic: Going Off On Tanjints Vol.4: Bishop and Murs;where from here?  (Read 745 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
In light of the last Going Off On Tanjints volume, I was thinking...who on the west coast can push that lyrical envelope, try new things, and be commercially succesful?

Circa October 2006 I made a post talking about how Lupe Fiasco(though not at all a favorite of mine) is a cool idea cause he's positive, talented, original and very succesful and how the West coast needs a Lupe Fiasco. People pointed out Murs to me; I checked his 9th Edition album and agreed.

I heard his new "Dreadlocks" song and while good, I thought it could be better. I just hope that Rick Rock can be to Murs what the Neptunes were to Lupe if that makes sense. I don't mind if his topics become typical or his beats become poppy, I just want him to RIP it the FUCK up, He handled on the 'dreads' song but I've heard him tear mics to pieces and I think he needs to do that just to show motherfuckers the West can.

Anyway, Dirty Left(Snoop's older brother) was telling me the other day that all Bishop does now is work out because Dr.Dre has emphasized to him how important it is to be marketable. This makes sense but it's somewhat disturbing as well.  I am less worried about Bishop losing his edge than Murs I suppose because

a)we haven't heard Bishop's new album material yet
b)Dre and Bishop's agenda seems to be highly aimed at raising the bar for lyrical content on the West coast and I don't see how invisiline and a shitload of push-ups will change that.

anyway, what do you guys think these cats should do to effectively be the west coast Lupe Fiascos in the sense that they need to be

-succesful
-lyrically tight
 etc?

For example, is this Dreadlocks song the right direction to go in? It's party-rap...but it's also positive. It's poppy, but the MC is clearly skilled. It's simple....but sometimes that's all the catchier. It's hyphy sounding (sounds just like 'tell me when to go' also prod. RR)...but hyphy is West coast so why not? Should be he doing something trippier that one Lupe song with the robot, something more politically conscious...should his opening single be dumber yet? etc. I'd like your guys' thoughts on this...cause to me...if Murs and Bishop don't make it big soon...the window of oppurtunity for someone dope to blow on the west might not come back around again for a cool ass minute.

Anyone else on the come up like that? Ya Boy dropped an album right? Where's his outside-of-Cali buzz? Clyde Carson? Jeezy's dude Roccet, he have a chance?

I just wanna say, my biggest hope is that Bishop AND Murs blow up (not to mention collaborate on a Dre beat. How sick would that be?) without losing their artistic integrity to these big companies.

but Where from here?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

StevenQBosell

Re: Going Off On Tanjints Vol.4: Bishop and Murs;where from here?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »
Murs is hot to death, I'm surprised he didn't blow a long time ago.

I know he's got a deal with Warner Brothers (I believe) for his major label debut.

Murs is my current fav, underground, west coast artist, one of the few artist cd's I actually purchase (fat Beats on Melrose, to be exact)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:39:45 PM »
I agree man. I hope he blows and stays real.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
don't forget Crooked I Tanj...he already dropped a street single, has moved up to VP of treacherous records, and HAS confirmed that many big distribution deals are on the table for himself & his treacherous crew
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:05:12 PM »
murs has been a favorite of mine since i first heard 'murs rules the world' about 6 years ago......and im sorry but while i agree that dreadloks is a party/club/goodtime song and its cool to make those songs, i dont feel it at all and its not what i want to hear from an artist as skilled as murs.....he is capable of so much more....the only plus is that heads who arent up on him because they are only into catchy type of songs like that, might now look into his back catolouge based of this one song and in the process expose themselves to some really incredible music...........but still, to go from 'walk like a man' to 'dreadloks'?.......thats a big drop imo.......and again,i  understand what he's trying to do, i just dont feel it......i do wish him the best and hope he goes gold, he desrves it...........oh, and bishop is dope too....i think his odds of blowing up are quite good actually......but in this day and age who knows? what heads like nowadays amazes me......im too old
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 01:11:10 PM »
don't forget Crooked I Tanj...he already dropped a street single, has moved up to VP of treacherous records, and HAS confirmed that many big distribution deals are on the table for himself & his treacherous crew

I love crooked and am planning on putting a grip of his HHW volumes on a disc and that will be my crooked album since noone will hook me up with YB vol.2.  until i see a crooked fucking I album on the shelves, those will be my crooked albums. I just don't believe him anymore.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
murs has been a favorite of mine since i first heard 'murs rules the world' about 6 years ago......and im sorry but while i agree that dreadloks is a party/club/goodtime song and its cool to make those songs, i dont feel it at all and its not what i want to hear from an artist as skilled as murs.....he is capable of so much more....the only plus is that heads who arent up on him because they are only into catchy type of songs like that, might now look into his back catolouge based of this one song and in the process expose themselves to some really incredible music...........but still, to go from 'walk like a man' to 'dreadloks'?.......thats a big drop imo.......and again,i  understand what he's trying to do, i just dont feel it......i do wish him the best and hope he goes gold, he desrves it...........oh, and bishop is dope too....i think his odds of blowing up are quite good actually......but in this day and age who knows? what heads like nowadays amazes me......im too old

it's not like a classic/favorite imo or anything but it's aight. i hope he goes plat, if he goes gold then it's already over for him in the mainstream.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »
yea i have liked murs for awhile and saw he had a new song but was pretty disappointed. it does sound just like tell me when to go also :(

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »

I love crooked and am planning on putting a grip of his HHW volumes on a disc and that will be my crooked album since noone will hook me up with YB vol.2.  until i see a crooked fucking I album on the shelves, those will be my crooked albums. I just don't believe him anymore.

-T

YB2:

http://rapidshare.com/files/6996573/CI-YB.rar

;)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
Snoop has an older Brother called "Dirty Left"
Like Family..not Brother as in Close friend??

Back to topic!!

Murs Track "Dreadlock"..I'll be honest i didn't give that track a chance!!
As soon as i heard the beat, i automatically turned it off.
it was a southern kinda beat, which I'm not into It!
Rick Ross did a good job as far as i can recall of the beat, and i felt that it wouldn't suit Murs

Speaking On Murs, I've only heard two tracks from him, he sounds real chill and cool!
He is bringing in another wave of Westcoast flavor perhaps from a more lyrical point of view!
So on that Note, i might actually decided to give that aforementioned track another spin!!

As for Bishop??

I don't know...We could speculate all day, till pigs start to Fly!
We don't actually know what path he will take!
This 'marktable path" dirty Left (lol) was referring to might not be the commecialize-selling out route we all fear and dread any upcoming and promising talent should take.
It may be something totally different, I would hope that he can still keep the raw energy and lyrical swagger that got him Dre's attention but redefine or sharpen it in some way..Perhaps I'm going off on another r tangent..I don't Know..

Kinda hurts like a kick in the teeth, that Bishop is still without an Album..so there's nothing we could really judge him by.
Mixtapes are good, but not a real mirror or reflection of the artist!

It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

We Fly High

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:12:17 PM »
Good thread. I want to elaborate on this.

I very much believe that if Murs doesnt go big with his new record, our window of opportunity is gradually going to close. As you all know Murs is now signed to Warner Bros Records. One of the few west coast artist that actually has a major (Mistah Fab & Atlantic, Glasses & CashMoneyHooBangin, O.Cruz & Geffen/BYI, Bishop/Aftermath, and a few others im missing off the top of my head).. However, the main difference between Murs and these other artists, is that his fanbase is extensive, and not to mention LOYAL. Murs headlined a sold out 5,000 person show for Paid Dues 2007 (sold out the shrine auditorium in 2006 which was like 6,000 people), performed at Coachella 2006, he did a free show at El Rey Theater last year, which reached capacity, and had about 2000 people waiting outside to get in, hes doing Rock The Bells/Paid Dues tour this summer hitting up like 20 different cities (sharin the bill with aritsts like RATM, PE, Roots, mos def, UGK, Rakim, etc), and hes been doing this tourin shit for years on end. Like if Glasses or Bishop or Crooked I or O Cruz ever wanted to throw a show in LA, you best believe its going to be pretty empty. I'm not knocking their skills or whatever, but its the truth. Thats why you almost never hear of them performing gigs anywhere, they just aren't really in demand. and if they do get gigs its usually at some small ass club out in like riverside or city of industry or something.

I think this is what is really going to differentiate Murs from the rest, the fact that he actually has a super solid fanbase before signing to a major. A lot of these artists are scoped out and discovered by A&R's and industry heads, or are basically put on by their big homie rapper. (like O Cruz utilizing mister cartoon and co to solidify his deal, and like Mike Lynn with Glasses' sony situation, The Game and Jay Rock). a lot of these guys basically got their deals off of their network and industry ties. Murs didnt need anyone to cosign him to get a major label deal, his FANS cosigned him. and THAT is what it boils down to.

Murs has consistently put out product, with his 10 or so album discography, and each of these albums have sold very well independently. He knows how to perform , as hes a member of the Living Legends, and if you ever seen a LL crew show, you know they can rock. He isnt just standin in one place, rappin. He's jumpin, runnin around and doin the whole nine. I dont know how many of yall are Murs fans on this board, but if you ever tried to get an autograph from him, he most likely stayed till the very end to sign everyones shit. I remember last year when he performed at Coachella (another thing none of these new west rappers are going to do), Murs stayed back to sign every single fan's autograph. He stayed back probably like an hour just signing cds, taking pictures with anyone that requested one. That is some REAL shit.

And I think Dreadlocks is going in the right direction. The trend ive noticed is that the people who have never heard Murs before, like the record.. but the long time fans, generally dont like it. You guys have to realize that Murs is basically releasing this song as a way to gget new fans and expand to a larger crowd. He couldn't really be releasing a real hip hop record as his first single on a major label. Getting signed to a major label means you gotta have a big single for the masses. However, in a month or two, Murs is going to drop some shit thats going to let his hardcore fans know that hes still the same MC Making Underground Raw Shit. 9th Wonder was also just in LA with Murs this past week cookin up some more classics, so you know its on.. especially with LB out the picture, Murs is getting THE best beats from 9th.

MURS FOR PRESIDENT!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:59:22 PM by We Fly High »

MURSFAN86

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
props for giving MURS his due, he is really a talented rapper and one of the futures of the west coast rap scene

StevenQBosell

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »
One of my fav. Murs tracks, by 9th Wonder;

The Pain
http://www.zshare.net/audio/280933918aefd7/

rik

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
I've been down with Murs for a long time now, not a big fan of his new song, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yo Justin, do you know when "Murs For President" is dropping?

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 10:16:10 PM »
As far as Murs goes, this was one thing I was a bit scared off....because I know that he has a very strong, loyal fanbase...but that many fanbases for artists such as him will get mad as hell when the artist does something that's completely different from what they usually do, and they get accused (or correctly labeled) of being sellouts.

So far....I have heard a very wide range of reactions from it, which I expected for this type of track. I played it twice at a party I DJ'd at last night, and some Bay cats were on it HAAAARD. One of them was like "ey, play that Federation song again" and I was like oh, that was Murs, and he was like "who? He from L.A. for real? That shit slap!" At the same time, my homeboy who's a fan of Murs said he doesn't like any single thing about the song, and that Murs is too good to be doing a song like this...and he doesn't even think it's good for a club or hyphy single.

Personally, all bias aside, I think it's a solid track, and I don't think there's a problem with it at all. When his brother was playing me some tracks that might possibly be on the album, many of them did have a commercially acceptable vibe, but this track here is the only one that could really be seen as a "trendy" track, or one that might turn some fans off. However...just as with this track, the other tracks had beats and hooks from established artists and "super" producers...but he was still spittin some knowledge on there. On Dreadlocks, he's not just talkin about scrapin, poppin pills, shakin his dreads to get some females, ghostridin the whip, or anything else. He is still being lyrical on there.

Funny thing is....Murs has actually done a GRIP of songs that could be seen in the same way as "Dreadlocks" if they were on different beats. With this one, I guarantee that if he rapped about Dreadlocks over a 9th or Ant beat, NOBODY would have a problem with it. He had a whole song dedicated to gettin head on "Murs rules the world" that his fans loved....but you take those lyrics and put it on a Lil Jon or Neptunes track, and those same fans call him a sellout.