Author Topic: Anyone here ever been to a psychologist?  (Read 603 times)

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
Re: Anyone here ever been to a psychologist?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:07 AM »
I am a psychologist  ;)

i thought of becoming one and read loads of books on that subject

so why you decided not to become one?

becuz if you study psychology youre done in 3 years and then the only thing you can do is givin advises to people and consulting...id rather be a psychotherapist cuz then i can prescribe medecine and resolve more complicated cases...but then id have to study psychology for 3 years and medecine for 6 years and i dont wanna be 30 when im done studying
how long did you study and where? and how is your career going?

I completed the first three years, so that's still the bachelor period. Next year, I'm gonna do a 1-year specialization period for clinical psychologist. After that, I'm pretty much ready for work, but I still gotta follow more internal courses then. I think the system here is a little bit different from where you live. Here, a psychologist (or a psychotherapist) will never be able to prescribe medicines. In order to do that, you gotta study medicines and become a psychiatrist.

yea the systems seem to be completely different...
but its cool youre studying it...you must know a lot of things about it now...im almost jealous lol
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

D-Reborn

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Death is certain, life is not
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »
hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 02:59:43 AM »
I am a psychologist  ;)

becuz if you study psychology youre done in 3 years and then the only thing you can do is givin advises to people and consulting...id rather be a psychotherapist cuz then i can prescribe medecine and resolve more complicated cases...but then id have to study psychology for 3 years and medecine for 6 years and i dont wanna be 30 when im done studying

I completed the first three years, so that's still the bachelor period. Next year, I'm gonna do a 1-year specialization period for clinical psychologist. After that, I'm pretty much ready for work, but I still gotta follow more internal courses then. I think the system here is a little bit different from where you live. Here, a psychologist (or a psychotherapist) will never be able to prescribe medicines. In order to do that, you gotta study medicines and become a psychiatrist.

but its cool youre studying it...you must know a lot of things about it now...im almost jealous lol

True, where you from actually? I'm from Holland.

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 04:09:49 AM »
I am a psychologist  ;)

im from Germany, neighbor.
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »
I am a psychologist  ;)

im from Germany, neighbor.

;)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »

Suggestion for people who have became despondent

If your depressed it's probably because you are not doing what you want with your life. If you experience hardship while doing what you want, then you will step up to the challenge, knowing that it is a consequence of doing what you want to do, and you will take pride in that.

However, if you are doing something that you don't want, and adversity comes, you will inevitably become depressed.

There are many traps that keep us from doing what we want with our lives. For me it was 3 that I would usually get caught up in before I became aware of them. They were as follows...

1. The identity trap. This is the belief that in order to live your life the way you want to you have to make others understand you. In reality, there are people out there who already understand you, and you would be better off seeking them instead of trying to "change" others.

2. The despair trap. This is the belief that others can prevent you from doing what you want with your life. This is also a false assumption, there is a price you can pay to gain back control of your life. It may be a great price, but more often then not, it is actually less then you assumed it to be, once a sincere attempt is made.

3. The previous investment trap. This one is the worst. Because we feel bitter about mistakes we may have made in the past, we continue on doing something we don't want to be doing, because we've already invested time, money, or energy into that thing. This is also an erroneous assumption, because we can never do away with the past, what's done is done, the only thing that can make us happy from this point forward is how we deal with the present.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 10:31:06 AM »
yea, mine sucked  didnt do shit for me, and i was upset cause his name was Dr.robert

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »

Suggestion for people who have became despondent

If your depressed it's probably because you are not doing what you want with your life. If you experience hardship while doing what you want, then you will step up to the challenge, knowing that it is a consequence of doing what you want to do, and you will take pride in that.

However, if you are doing something that you don't want, and adversity comes, you will inevitably become depressed.

There are many traps that keep us from doing what we want with our lives. For me it was 3 that I would usually get caught up in before I became aware of them. They were as follows...

1. The identity trap. This is the belief that in order to live your life the way you want to you have to make others understand you. In reality, there are people out there who already understand you, and you would be better off seeking them instead of trying to "change" others.

2. The despair trap. This is the belief that others can prevent you from doing what you want with your life. This is also a false assumption, there is a price you can pay to gain back control of your life. It may be a great price, but more often then not, it is actually less then you assumed it to be, once a sincere attempt is made.

3. The previous investment trap. This one is the worst. Because we feel bitter about mistakes we may have made in the past, we continue on doing something we don't want to be doing, because we've already invested time, money, or energy into that thing. This is also an erroneous assumption, because we can never do away with the past, what's done is done, the only thing that can make us happy from this point forward is how we deal with the present.

??? People can get depressed, even though they're happy with what they're doing. There are way more factors, like social, cultural, biological and psychological factors playing a role in the development of a depression.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 02:34:29 PM »

??? People can get depressed, even though they're happy with what they're doing. There are way more factors, like social, cultural, biological and psychological factors playing a role in the development of a depression.

What social factors?  Like people wanting them to be something they are not, and the person trying to live up to that?  That's what I said was the identity trap.  Limiting ourselves to one group of people who don't accept us, when we are all unique individuals and there are other people out there who will appreciate us as we are if we just look for those people and stop wasting our time trying to convince others to understand us.l

What cultural factors?  Like pressure to follow cultural ways we don't believe in ourselves?  That's the moral trap.  You are following someone else's moral standards.  But everyone has a choice to make if they are going to follow their own moral standards or standards someone else has given them, either way, the are still making the ultimate choice.  And therefore, one purpose of truth is so that we can better understand the identity of things so that we can better predict outcomes that can be useful for us.  And morality is often used so that we don't make a mistake in the present that could sacrifice what we really want for the future.  So therefore, in that respect, if a person insists on following a cultural practice that they don't agree with and doesn't work for them, then they are head first in the morality and identity trap.

What biological factors?  Again, if you think your biological factors don't meet someone else's standards then you are in the identity trap.  There are 6 billion people in the world.  You only have to find several of them who understand and love and respect you and you can have a good life.  So accept yourself for who you are.  Also, once you have accepted yourself for who you are, then you will better understand what things make you happy and what you enjoy.  Then you can maximize your time by spending each day involved with those things you love and enjoy as much as possible and work to cut everything else out of your life that doesn't correspond with it. 

If you focus on those things you have control over, then you can't lose, because you have control over those things.  But if you are trying to convince others of something then your happiness is depending on other people and you will often end up frustrated and in despair because of it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:50:09 PM by Harry Browne »

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 01:32:42 AM »
What social factors?  Like people wanting them to be something they are not, and the person trying to live up to that?  That's what I said was the identity trap.  Limiting ourselves to one group of people who don't accept us, when we are all unique individuals and there are other people out there who will appreciate us as we are if we just look for those people and stop wasting our time trying to convince others to understand us.l

That could be a factor, but it's not the only social factor playing a role. The main social factor is the occurence of a stressful life event, like losing a job or the loss of a loved one.

What cultural factors?  Like pressure to follow cultural ways we don't believe in ourselves?  That's the moral trap.  You are following someone else's moral standards.  But everyone has a choice to make if they are going to follow their own moral standards or standards someone else has given them, either way, the are still making the ultimate choice.  And therefore, one purpose of truth is so that we can better understand the identity of things so that we can better predict outcomes that can be useful for us.  And morality is often used so that we don't make a mistake in the present that could sacrifice what we really want for the future.  So therefore, in that respect, if a person insists on following a cultural practice that they don't agree with and doesn't work for them, then they are head first in the morality and identity trap.

That's true. Some cultural norms may evoke stress, which can contribute to the development of a depression. This can often be observed with immigrants, who develop a depression, or another psychological disorder.

What biological factors?  Again, if you think your biological factors don't meet someone else's standards then you are in the identity trap.  There are 6 billion people in the world.  You only have to find several of them who understand and love and respect you and you can have a good life.  So accept yourself for who you are.  Also, once you have accepted yourself for who you are, then you will better understand what things make you happy and what you enjoy.  Then you can maximize your time by spending each day involved with those things you love and enjoy as much as possible and work to cut everything else out of your life that doesn't correspond with it. 

When I'm talking about biological factors, I'm talking about genetic factors and neurochemical factors. People who develop a depression have a certain biological predisposition, whereby their biological makeup differs from healthy people. They have lower levels of serotonin and dopamine for example. 

And again, there are also cognitive (psychological) distortions of influence. People who have a negative self-precept, who experience the world as hostile and who expect no further improvenents in the future are extra vulnerable for the development of a depression. The way they interpret situations may be causal for a depression. This has nothing to do with living up to the expectations of others. It could be one factor of influence, but it can never explain the whole depression.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:34:42 AM by Robert de Negro »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 03:18:12 AM »
When I'm talking about biological factors, I'm talking about genetic factors and neurochemical factors. People who develop a depression have a certain biological predisposition, whereby their biological makeup differs from healthy people. They have lower levels of serotonin and dopamine for example. 

Finally someone who knows what he talks about. I'm getting sick of people who don't realize how a brain works and who think literally everthing in life is "an attitude thing"...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:20:03 AM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 06:17:06 AM »

Finally someone who knows what he talks about. I'm getting sick of people who don't realize how a brain works and who think literally everthing in life is "an attitude thing"...

I did 3 years of study for that, but thanks for the recognition ;) +1

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »

That could be a factor, but it's not the only social factor playing a role. The main social factor is the occurence of a stressful life event, the loss of a loved one.

This is called the previous investment trap.  If something has hurt us in our past, such as the loss of a loved one, then we may inevitably feel sad for a period of time.  However, we should not think that because we have spent years, time, energy, and money on something in our past, that we now have to spend more years, time and money on that thing if it is no longer here and no longer useful for us.  The past is the past, and the stressful event that has happened, has happened, and there is nothing we can do about it in the present.  So we must move on, because it is how we deal with our present that will determine our new future.

Another good example of the previous investment trap is let's say a person pays for some courses to gain some new knowledge or skill.  After a few weeks of the course, they realize that it is not for them, and that they made a mistake in signing up for the course.  But there are still a few weeks left, so they stay in the course, because they have already spent time and money on it in the past.  What they are really saying is, since they've already wasted their money and time on it in the past, then they MUST have to waste more time and money on it in the future... as if this will somehow make them more satisfied with their past mistake.  When in reality, you can never get back that mistake or change it, and the past is the past; they will only be wasting more of their time they could have spent doing something that they love more and is more enjoyable to them.

And again, there are also cognitive (psychological) distortions of influence. People who have a negative self-precept, who experience the world as hostile and who expect no further improvenents in the future are extra vulnerable for the development of a depression. The way they interpret situations may be causal for a depression. This has nothing to do with living up to the expectations of others. It could be one factor of influence, but it can never explain the whole depression.

This is the despair trap.  Much of this talk about neurochemical and genetic factors supposedly preventing a person from doing what they want with their lives and being happy represents the despair trap.  Whenever we believe that someone or something has prevented us from being free to live our lives the way we want in happiness this represents the despair trap.  However, this is also an erroneous assumption. 

In the example that is above the person is in the despair trap because they think that neurochemical factors and a hostile environment have restricted their pursuit of happiness.  So they spend their time focusing on what is their restriction, rather than thinking about all the possibilities of things they can do.  They spend their time condemning their illness and the people they believe are restricting them, rather then focusing on what they can control; which is themselves and how they choose to spend their time.  We can't change others.  We can't make people in our environment appear more loving to others.  And we can't make our genetics go away.  But what we can do, is accept ourselves for who we are, and move to another environment which is not hostile to us.

If they haven't done this yet, it is probably because they are in the Box trap.  To get out of the box trap, the person should lay down at night, and imagine the box gone.  Imagine being in an environment without the restrictions of hostile people, being in a different city, a quiet place, with nice people.  Then imagining all the things that they would do.  Once they start thinking about the enjoyment they could be having, one thing can lead to another and they will think of more things that could please them. 

Next, there is a price to pay to get them out of that box.  It may be time, it may be money, it may involve confrontation with a person they fear.  Whatever the price is, PAY IT.  Pay it sooner then later and move on with your live.  Imagine yourself having that confrontation with that feared person until imagining it no longer carries the pain it did before, and then carry it out in reality.  You will feel so much better when you do it, and the sooner the better.

like losing a job or

You mentioned losing a job, but I want to address it here.  People must first understand how the economy works.  Desires are endless, so therefore their will always be someone willing to pay you to have a desire of theirs fullfilled.  They may desire having a clean car, and they will pay you to clean it.  Whatever the case may be, desires are endless, and the market is always changing.  Sometimes we may lose a job because those desires can be fullfilled without our services, so we have to move onto another job where we are needed.  Maybe a business owner can find cheaper labor in India, so we are fired from our manual labor job.  But now, with the time saved from outsourcing manual labor to India, people have more time for relaxation, so you open up or are hired to provide service jobs for people.

Also, cut those things out of your life that aren't important to you.  Is your family telling you you have to have a great big job because that's their idea of "fullfilling responsibilities?"  So what?  Who cares what they think is responsible, what matters is what makes you happy.  If you are happy with working at McDonalds, then work at McDonalds, work two shifts if you want, move in with a roomate to share the bills and start saving up money to do the things you love and want for your life. 

Now, if being rich is what you love, then it may be that the pursuit of riches is what makes you happy.  If so, then go for it.  But don't expect someone to magically front you 15,000 to start your first bussiness.  We can't make anyone do anything.  We must focus on what we CAN control, which is ourselves, and our own pursuit of what we love and enjoy.  So go for it, work hard if that's what gives you enjoyment and fullfillment, and accept help from others without expecting it, and you will find the challenge of life to be much more enjoyable.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 04:45:26 PM by Harry Browne »