Author Topic: Top 11 Tainted Sports Achievements...  (Read 2715 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Top 11 Tainted Sports Achievements...
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »
"A ref has more power than a coach or a player to determine the outcome of a basketball game"
-Mike Mathis, NBA ref 1976-2001. Head of NBA Officiating Union for 11 years.

of course they do. But any good coach would tell their players not to worry about the refs and play their game. the calls eventually even out. refs arent anymore perfect then players or coaches. why bitch about the shit you cant control. anybody who continuously uses the refs as their scapegoat for losing has absolutely ZERO confidence in themself or their team. its so easy to blame the refs. and EVERY once in a while you can make a legit case for a ref completely blowing one. but to go on and on about the refs is just bitchmade. Whats even funnier to me is how many people whine about refs, blame them for losses....but never give them credit for victories. When one bad call is made, theres victim and a beneficiary. The guy or team who benefits never says "wow, that ref really helped us win the game". EVERY single team/player in the league has been a victim of a bad call....and has benefited from a bad call. Kind of funny how they only whine instead of praise.

You're missing the point, bro. The state of reffing in the NBA is getting worse and worse, while the game and its athletes are progressing. This is no good for the integrity of the game, and something needs to be done soon...Tim Donaghy going under the radar and even being promoted as a top ref is a perfect example. I think this is the turning point for NBA refs...PeACe

I agree that this could be a "turning point". I dont know exactly what that turning point will be, or if it will even be a good one. But things will for sure change.

What I do believe is this. The league does need to hold its refs more accountable. I know public criticism of the refs by players and coaches is not good for the leagues integrity, but the league should also not make the refs SO off limits. But, at the same time. The league needs to do more for these guys. They are without a doubt the most underpaid, underappreciated members of the league. They are probably the most heavily scrutinized members of the league. They are never commended, and only villafied. Pretty much, you get what you pay for. The players in the league (like you said), get better and better over time. They get bigger, stronger, faster, quicker. All these things make the refs jobs now, that much more difficult then refs from before. Not to mention rule changes which are more business minded then sports minded. The players are not necessarily adapting to the refs, theyre adapting to the rules. Flopping now is at an all time high. But then again, I wonder why? Maybe because the rules are all designed to increase offense and decrease defense. Defensive players have almost no chance these days in a one on one matchup. Remember the old days, watching Scottie Pippen chest bumping Magic as he dribbled up the floor. A great offensive/defensive matchup. Now, Pippen would have fouled out after 6 trips up the floor.

Anyways, i feel what you saying about some of what the league is doing. I just dont think all the blame is on the refs. And i dont feel the refs or league has a personal vendetta against any individual or team in the league right now.

Except Ron Artest lol
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
"A ref has more power than a coach or a player to determine the outcome of a basketball game"

of course they do. But any good coach would tell their players not to worry about the refs and play their game. the calls eventually even out. refs arent anymore perfect then players or coaches. why bitch about the shit you cant control. anybody who continuously uses the refs as their scapegoat for losing has absolutely ZERO confidence in themself or their team. its so easy to blame the refs. and EVERY once in a while you can make a legit case for a ref completely blowing one. but to go on and on about the refs is just bitchmade. Whats even funnier to me is how many people whine about refs, blame them for losses....but never give them credit for victories. When one bad call is made, theres victim and a beneficiary. The guy or team who benefits never says "wow, that ref really helped us win the game". EVERY single team/player in the league has been a victim of a bad call....and has benefited from a bad call. Kind of funny how they only whine instead of praise.

You're missing the point, bro. The state of reffing in the NBA is getting worse and worse, while the game and its athletes are progressing. This is no good for the integrity of the game, and something needs to be done soon...Tim Donaghy going under the radar and even being promoted as a top ref is a perfect example. I think this is the turning point for NBA refs...PeACe

I agree that this could be a "turning point". I dont know exactly what that turning point will be, or if it will even be a good one. But things will for sure change.

What I do believe is this. The league does need to hold its refs more accountable. I know public criticism of the refs by players and coaches is not good for the leagues integrity, but the league should also not make the refs SO off limits. But, at the same time. The league needs to do more for these guys. They are without a doubt the most underpaid, underappreciated members of the league. They are probably the most heavily scrutinized members of the league. They are never commended, and only villafied. Pretty much, you get what you pay for. The players in the league (like you said), get better and better over time. They get bigger, stronger, faster, quicker. All these things make the refs jobs now, that much more difficult then refs from before. Not to mention rule changes which are more business minded then sports minded. The players are not necessarily adapting to the refs, theyre adapting to the rules. Flopping now is at an all time high. But then again, I wonder why? Maybe because the rules are all designed to increase offense and decrease defense. Defensive players have almost no chance these days in a one on one matchup. Remember the old days, watching Scottie Pippen chest bumping Magic as he dribbled up the floor. A great offensive/defensive matchup. Now, Pippen would have fouled out after 6 trips up the floor.

Anyways, i feel what you saying about some of what the league is doing. I just dont think all the blame is on the refs. And i dont feel the refs or league has a personal vendetta against any individual or team in the league right now.

Except Ron Artest lol
real spit....obviously the nba will try and make it look like the officiating will be "overhauled". but in the end its all about money and changes may come but as long as it doesnt cost the league money. Scoring=$$$ and that will be considered above all else.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »

Except Ron Artest lol

I agree for the most part, but Refs are not underpaid and underappreciated. In fact, Tim Donaghy's salary for the games he reffed in 2007 was revealed to be $270,000.00! And these refs get full of themselves, refs out there, like Steve Javie, have a tendencie to take over games when players frustrate them...These refs are not being held responsible! Do you know who the head supervisors of these officials are? Former refs who were fired after 1 or 2 bad years on the job! Shit is way out of hand, more than you know, homie...PeACe

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
These refs are not being held responsible!
true...how joey crawford is still a ref is crazy...

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »

Except Ron Artest lol

I agree for the most part, but Refs are not underpaid and underappreciated. In fact, Tim Donaghy's salary for the games he reffed in 2007 was revealed to be $270,000.00! And these refs get full of themselves, refs out there, like Steve Javie, have a tendencie to take over games when players frustrate them...These refs are not being held responsible! Do you know who the head supervisors of these officials are? Former refs who were fired after 1 or 2 bad years on the job! Shit is way out of hand, more than you know, homie...PeACe

its all relative. $270,000 to the guys who you say yourself, have the biggest control over the outcome of the game. Considering that a bench player who plays less then 10 minutes the entire season makes more then that, it doesnt sound fair.

Anyways, we'll see what happens from here on out. Im sure some shit will be changed. Maybe David Stern will have more to worry about now then making sure the players dont represent hip hop.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »

Except Ron Artest lol

its all relative. $270,000 to the guys who you say yourself, have the biggest control over the outcome of the game. Considering that a bench player who plays less then 10 minutes the entire season makes more then that, it doesnt sound fair.

Anyways, we'll see what happens from here on out. Im sure some shit will be changed. Maybe David Stern will have more to worry about now then making sure the players dont represent hip hop.

LMAO, what are you talking about...Athletes go through much tougher training than refs, and require a greaterer skill/talent. $270,000 FORE ONE YEAR is a fucking GREAT income for a ref, man...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »
why is that so funny NIK?

baseball umps decide virtually every play that happens in the MLB

-a strike to one ump is a ball to another
-safe to one ump is an out to another
-foul to one ump is fair to another ump (twix comercial)

take into account that these call make up 95% of all the plays in baseball, i'd say that umps have more power to take over a game, if they so chose to. remember there's no instant replay to correct a bad call.

nba refs determine fouls which don't occur, even in the most fouled games,  on every play. nba refs have replay for questionable shots ( hell they have to review shots at the end of the half regardless how obvious). Nba refs , at most, can control  probably 50% of the game with all the potential calls they make, the other half is up to the players

95%>>>50%  at the highest potential. however baseball umps arn't as bias so the numbers are actually lower

however that isn't the argument i'm making here, baseball umps have more power to take over games...if they so chose to. end of discussion.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »
Jake, sometimes you're just completely out of it, dude. The way you tend to take your invalid thoughts so seriously, it's a mockery man...Mike Mathis was just on KLAC a few days back speaking about how much more power an NBA official obviously has and how much less they are held accountable for their actions than in any other league, and EVERYONE on the station agreed, their is no question...Same thing with his interview on ESPN Radio. Sometime I think you make up these arguments just for the sake of arguing..

Citizen-Y

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2007, 03:46:21 PM »
Jake, sometimes you're just completely out of it, dude. The way you tend to take your invalid thoughts so seriously, it's a mockery man...Mike Mathis was just on KLAC a few days back speaking about how much more power an NBA official obviously has and how much less they are held accountable for their actions than in any other league, and EVERYONE on the station agreed, their is no question...Same thing with his interview on ESPN Radio. Sometime I think you make up these arguments just for the sake of arguing..

I thought you didn't care for the opinions on radio shows.

hisairness

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2007, 04:03:31 PM »

Just another example of the king of self-contradiction at his finest.
NIK - World's worst moderator.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2007, 04:54:55 PM »

Mike Mathis, NBA official of 26 years and head of the officiating union for 11 years...

Citizen-Y

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

Mike Mathis, NBA official of 26 years and head of the officiating union for 11 years...

He's also a criminal.  But I should take his word on what his view of integrity is right?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »

lol @ NIK using the media AND ESPN when it's convieniant.

anyways dude

he's an NBA official of corse he's going to side with his profession. lol. like i said an MLB Ump is responsibile for 95% of the plays in baseball. At most NBA refs are responsible for 50%. NBA refs don't blow the whistle and decide wether a  dunk counts as a basket or not  unless it's  offensive interference or shot clock violation.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »

lol @ NIK using the media AND ESPN when it's convieniant.

anyways dude

he's an NBA official of corse he's going to side with his profession. lol. like i said an MLB Ump is responsibile for 95% of the plays in baseball. At most NBA refs are responsible for 50%. NBA refs don't blow the whistle and decide wether a  dunk counts as a basket or not  unless it's  offensive interference or shot clock violation.

You still don't get it, do you? Umpires are not given the same amount of power as NBA refs...There isn't a "no tolerance" rule in baseball in favor of the refs. What is a foul to one ref, is not to another. We've come to the point where we tolerate ANY contact being called a foul, and sometimes even when there isn't any contact at all...When Mike Mathis mentioned that the NBA refs have the most power and ability to impact a game (and HE, not me, used an MLB umprie as an example for comparison), everyone, obviously, agreed, and it was UNDISPUTED. All of a sudden, BigJakeDoggyDOGG of WCC feels he knows a little more than the experts and professionals, despite the fact that your knowledge in basketball can use improvement. Not for one second can you convince me that your arguments are actually thought out...Just stop, you do this in every thread. Arguing for the sake of arguing :nawty:...PeACe

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »
1. Juventus going to Serie B and 12 months later we still don't know why.