Author Topic: New Raekwon Interview, talks about the new Wu album and OBCL II  (Read 401 times)

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
Can't wait for the new Wu album, and hopefully he'll drop his album next year.

Is the Wu album really gonna drop this year? That URB article seemed to suggest the whole project may be falling apart.
Raekwon: Yeah, it’s gonna drop. We like 90% done with it. It’s a couple more things that we gotta add to the situation with it. It’s a classic in my eyes, as far as production and just what you would normally expect from Wu-Tang. It’s a good project and it’s definitely gonna be out this year.

At the end of that same article, RZA is quoted as saying, with regards to 8 Diagrams, “If it’s not coming this year, it ain’t coming at all…If it doesn’t come this year, it don’t mean nothing no more.” Do you agree with his statement?
Raekwon: Yeah, I agree with that. We never wanted to put out a project with not everybody on it. So I respect that [statement]. People wanna see the whole Clan on the album. We all do our own personal shit, so everybody had to sacrifice the time to appear on the record. If that wasn’t gonna happen, then it wouldn’t have been worth doing.

And that segues perfectly into my next question. Again in that same article RZA said Ghostface hadn’t recorded at all for the album. Is that still true?
Raekwon: Nah, Ghost is on the record. He did a couple of things on it. I guess at the time Ghost had a lot of things he had to do. Before Wu-Tang attained legendary status, we all came in as a family. But at the end of the day, we all got individual obligations that we gotta fulfill. So it gets rough sometimes. But it’s about sacrificing. And we all came to that agreement, that the fans love us when we do our thing together so we gonna give ‘em that. We knew how important doing this record was and so it got done.

: What was your manager talking about when he told the writer of the URB piece, in reference to your involvement in 8 Diagrams, “If the business is not taken care of [then] there will be no album or tour”?
Raekwon: Business is important. When you dealing with a team everything gotta be correct. Managers gotta make sure that they know what their artist is getting into, as far as everything that come with doing a record. You could never try to get something done if it ain’t organized. That’s one of the things that we all stessin’ on this go-round, that everybody is able to provide the quality time that’s needed for this record. We had to come to some kind of agreement before we could actually say this record was gonna come to life.

: In an interview you did with ThaFormula.com back in April you said, with regards to your new album, “I will not give you this Cuban Linx II album until I feel everything is right with me and my business…”
Raekwon: That’s definitely important to me, because when you dealing with a classic record, the return of something classic, I want everything to be right. I wanna be at a house that actually believes in whatever I’m dealing with. And if I gotta feel kinda skeptical and doubtful about who’s gonna help me move this record the way it needs to be moved, I wouldn’t put it out. I’m not gonna sabotage myself. First and foremost, I got an all-star cast on it. Everybody did they thing. I did my thing. And I refuse to throw it out there and it don’t get the proper legwork that it needs.

: Is that a concern you’ve had with Aftermath, or Interscope?
Raekwon: We going back and forth. It’s definitely a tight situation, but it’s all about being comfortable and being secure with a strong team behind you. But everything is still just basically being litigated.

: So when are we gonna get that purple CD?
Raekwon: It’s damn near 200% done. I wanna drop it on a major, but you’re definitely gonna get it by the summer of next year. By hook or crook. If I gotta do it independent, I gotta release it. I did a lot of hard work on this record and I refuse to throw it out and people be like, Yo Rae, I ain’t know your shit was out. Nah, I can’t afford for that to happen no more. That happened to me on The Lex Diamond Story. That happened to me on Immobilarity. I’m not going for it on this one. I’m not letting the industry control my destiny on this record. People been wanting this record for the last 10 years, so I gotta make sure that this shit is bulletproof.

: While we’re clearing up old quotes, is there any truth to the old rumor made new again via Tony Yayo’s recent comments in Spin claiming Superb, of your pre-Icewater crew American Cream Team, wrote all of Supreme Clientele for Ghostface?
Raekwon: He know damn well he ain’t write that fuckin’ album. I don’t even wanna get into shit like that, because it just makes me upset that muthafuckas be running they mouth all kinda ways. But at the end of the day, I think Ghost gonna have to really say what he gotta say.

: Yeah, the only reason I asked you about this is ‘cause Superb came out of your crew.
Raekwon: Yeah, that’s my son. That’s my son, and trust me he ain’t write nobody’s fuckin’ album.

: Now that we got that out the way regarding your old crewmember, let’s talk about your new crew, Icewater, and their new album, Polluted Water.
Raekwon: I been training them, getting them niggas right. This is not no overnight project right here. Anything with my name on it, I can’t let it go out any kinda way. I feel like they reached the level of respect that I want from them, and so I’m able to go out and support it the way it’s supposed to be. This is definitely a beautiful look for them. It’s a come-up thing for Staten Island. You haven’t really heard too many niggas come from outta Staten Island. These are the real goons and gorillas of Staten Island. This is not no commercial team right here. This is some niggas that really lived it.

: I need to go back to 8 Diagrams and for the fans sake find out if you can reveal what the first official single’s gonna be?
Raekwon: I can’t even comment on the first single, because we gotta actually feel good about the record, as far as which direction we gonna go. We not really them radio dudes. But for the most part we wanna make sure that we hit the people with something very strong. And I didn’t get a chance to huddle up with the crew and call that shot yet. So you just gotta keep your eyes and ears open.

: Are there any details though that you can give the hungry-for-info fans about 8 Diagrams?
Raekwon: Like I said, everybody’s on the record. There’s a lot of authentic music on there. It’s RZA going to the next level with his production. It’s brothers rhyming they ass off, like we normally do. You got the young generation now that probably ain’t even up on our chemistry. But we hoping that the fans that already know what we do will respect what we dealing with and take it for what it is. If you don’t feel it, hey, you can’t get everybody.

: So far the rumors about the album sound dope. It’s like Q-Tip, Easy Mo Bee, a real old school vibe to it. Can you confirm that vibe is gonna be there?
Raekwon : They definitely gonna be involved with the project. When you think of them guys right there you think of legends in they own belt class. Easy Mo Bee had a lot to do with B.I.G. – God bless the dead. Q-Tip, he made classics with A Tribe Called Quest. These are dudes that we look up to in the game that don’t necessarily have to be on the forefront, but they know how to deliver. I think that’s so important because people get caught up in today’s music and not art music. We make art. We don’t make commercial music that just pop overnight and then it disappears. Nah, our shit is classic. We ain’t never been dudes to go outside of our character and be something that we’re not. Wu-Tang, we always had our own different sound. We had our own style. We a concept clique. You gotta be prepared for all of that. If you not prepared for all of that then how much of a Wu fan is you really? If you looking for a nigga to come out sounding like Puffy and all that shit then you got the wrong dudes. Puffy is Puffy. Wu-Tang is Wu-Tang.

: I guess it may be too early to get any details about Cuban Linx II?
Raekwon : Nah, it ain’t never too early. That’s my baby right there. I feel 900% good about it. What I don’t feel good about is just dealing with the drama of these bullshit-ass fuckin’ record companies. I’m dealing with a classic record that I know everybody wants. But I can’t go up to the labels and be frontin’ with them, and I don’t feel secure about the company that I’m around.

: And what is that… It’s like, I’m not trying to put you in a bad spot…
Raekwon : Nah, keep it a 100.

: Is it Aftermath or is it Interscope? Is it Dre or is it Jimmy?
Raekwon : It’s not Dre. And actually I never had a conversation with Jimmy [Iovine]. It’s just more about who’s gonna appreciate it. Who’s gonna sit here and say, Yo, we believe in you Chef. You already know Dre believes in me. Dre ain’t the type of nigga to be fucking with something if it ain’t worth it. So I can’t say anything bad about Dre. It’s just, I understand Dre is a very busy dude, but I need quality time too. And if you can’t give the kid that dealing with a classic, then we gonna have some problems. But other than that I respect Dre’s integrity. I respect his work ethic. Jimmy is looking at it on a business level. And when everything pan out correct, it’ll pan out correct. So I’m not gonna step on nobody and be on bad terms. It’s just that politics is a muthafucka.

: The final question I have for you is on a more positive note. I just have to ask how it feels to hear Lil’ Wayne on the new Ja Rule song, “Uh Oh,” paying homage when he spits, “Call me young Raekwon, I’m a chef in hell’s kitchen”?
Raekwon : Yo, that’s good money right there. I’m glad he feel like that. That means that he’s recognizing my mustache. He respects my mustache, and I respect his for even saying that. I feel like when these young dudes pay homage they track record becomes more respected, because you respect dudes that already did it. So I can’t do nothing but take my hat off to the kid and just say, yo, I admire that. That’s what it’s all about, real detecting real. I appreciate that.

wcsoldier

Re: New Raekwon Interview, talks about the new Wu album and OBCL II
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »
How many dope music couldn't have been released because of Interscope through the years ?  :-X... Dre ain't understand shit once again ...

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 05:59:50 AM »
Aftermath should leave Interscope

wcsoldier

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:09:17 AM »
^^^^ Won't happen and that's why Dre is to blame ... he prefers to release a very few material led by BS singles and being comfortable money wise instead of making the music he would want to ..

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 06:13:19 AM »
It's sad :(

Anyways Dr Dre fell off on the beats IMO.. Still gonna check for Detox though :)

wcsoldier

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 07:11:37 AM »
^^^^ yep doesn't feel his latest beats , especially the same type of drums he's using.. you still think Detox is coming ?

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »
^^^^ yep doesn't feel his latest beats , especially the same type of drums he's using.. you still think Detox is coming ?

Yeah I think it will come.. in 2008.. But I'm not so hyped about it as i once was.. Last time I heard a good dre produced song was 'Imagine' and that track with Busta and Raekwon on 'The Big Bang'

BTW I love the Masta Ace qoute in your sig, it is so true! And from one of my personal favorite albums ever..

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »
Fuck Detox, I want Cuban Linx II already! Great interview.

The Watcher

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 08:26:02 AM »
by the time obfcl2 drops, everybody will have forgotten about it

army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:08 AM »
Here's my thing.  It might be dope to have Dre's influence here and there, but if the cost is Interscope fucking up his release with no promotion and endless limbo on a release date - motherfuck all that.  And now there's comments from Rae saying that he's not getting any quality time from Dre.  How many times can we hear these same fuckin stories? I didn't like it from the get when I heard he was fuckin w/ Interscope.  Fuck Interscope, Jimmy, and Dre - go release the shit on SRC. 

I don't believe it'll ever drop on Interscope.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »
Here's my thing.  It might be dope to have Dre's influence here and there, but if the cost is Interscope fucking up his release with no promotion and endless limbo on a release date - motherfuck all that.  And now there's comments from Rae saying that he's not getting any quality time from Dre.  How many times can we hear these same fuckin stories? I didn't like it from the get when I heard he was fuckin w/ Interscope.  Fuck Interscope, Jimmy, and Dre - go release the shit on SRC. 

I agree.. what is SRC?

StevenQBosell

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 10:22:17 AM »
I want Cuban Linx II already! Great interview.

Amen to both of y'all

Al Bundy

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »

I agree.. what is SRC?

It's ran by the dude who ran the now defunct Loud records (Mobb Deep, Xzibit, Krayzie Bone, etc.)

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 10:43:46 AM »

I agree.. what is SRC?

It's ran by the dude who ran the now defunct Loud records (Mobb Deep, Xzibit, Krayzie Bone, etc.)
What does it stand for?

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »
Off topic, but Interscope Owns Aftermath right? so its impossible for Aftermath to leave