Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 15992 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2008, 09:32:45 AM »
^^^^^
-Dre is learning "how" to score movies,he says (at the time of the interview) that it will take him 5-6 years to get it down.
This can explain;
*Why Detox is taking a minute to finished.
*Support the "movie" concept idea.

-It also has a part of Dre introducing new producers,so it´s not like Dre ain´t working.  :P

yeah that interview is from 2004:

Dr.Dre Scratch magazine Volume 1 Summer 2004

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »
I am hoping for a westcoast classic fatass g-funk sound fatass bass line's and all the people that dre has worked with only the westcoast cats of course also i wanna hear westside connection on there suga free j rock g malone

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

HEC

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »
I have a feeling Detox will be out by the end of the year, Not to say that Dre will follow the same pattern but "The Chronic" came out in December of '92 and "2001" in November of '99.

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »
That would be great if the "Detox" project had a story line like G malone's Beach Cruiser (dies at the beggining then wake up from a nightmare). As others said it could be Dre showing his dark gangsta side at the beggining. And then, he goes to a club and something wrong happens (murder !) which makes him want to detox.  And that would also be a chronology of his carreer with the features that go from kurupt to bishop.

Another possibilty would be a kind of compilation album but with a particular sound which is all over the album (like 2001 and the chronic).
The tracks would then go through alot of crazy subjects and ideas like "imagine" or "cycle of dre" (jonathan rotem who produced it talked about it in 2005 or something) where dre goes back to all his carreer (like snoop did recently).
Another rumored track is about hip hop missing dr dre.
The album could be a compilation of classic tracks like these about party, the good and bad things in life, youth violence, fucking bitches, drugs,  and more serious topics about death and hip hop in general...

I think the track "Imagine" is great tell of what detox will sound like...

The D.O.C and

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2008, 05:25:03 AM »
I'd rather it never come out, than for it to come out and suck and be full of rappers that I hate.  I would lose so much respect for dre.
True, this is a good question you brought up. A lot of people aren't really seeing your idea through, and they are putting Dr. Dre under an aura of invincibility, but it's not guaranteed that, if Detox comes out, it will be great. If he drops something average or worse, it could severly tarnish his legacy. I would rather have him never come out than come with something weak, it's always better to leave your fans wanting more than getting tired of him. It's possible that if he came out weak he could come back hungry with something else, but the fact that he has had so much time for this would kind of cancel that thought out for me. Interesting discussion.

i think it was already clear that the disappointment when Detox finally drops is inevitable.
but then i ask you, how important is a first impression for you?

i mean, that Detox will be classic, according to "dre" standards is subjective and that expectation level is unrealistic.
that doesn't mean it will be very unlikely that Detox is going to be a good Dre soloalbum.

I have a feeling Detox will be out by the end of the year, Not to say that Dre will follow the same pattern but "The Chronic" came out in December of '92 and "2001" in November of '99.
i see.
but would it really hurt the sales that bad if interscope chose to release it in the beginning of a new year ( in Detox case, january 2009 for example) ?
 :P

HEC

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2008, 08:24:43 AM »
I'd rather it never come out, than for it to come out and suck and be full of rappers that I hate.  I would lose so much respect for dre.
True, this is a good question you brought up. A lot of people aren't really seeing your idea through, and they are putting Dr. Dre under an aura of invincibility, but it's not guaranteed that, if Detox comes out, it will be great. If he drops something average or worse, it could severly tarnish his legacy. I would rather have him never come out than come with something weak, it's always better to leave your fans wanting more than getting tired of him. It's possible that if he came out weak he could come back hungry with something else, but the fact that he has had so much time for this would kind of cancel that thought out for me. Interesting discussion.

i think it was already clear that the disappointment when Detox finally drops is inevitable.

i mean, that Detox will be classic, according to "dre" standards is subjective and that expectation level is unrealistic.
that doesn't mean it will be very unlikely that Detox is going to be a good Dre soloalbum.

i see.
but would it really hurt the sales that bad if interscope chose to release it in the beginning of a new year ( in Detox case, january 2009 for example) ?

I think Interscope would probably love to have it by late Novemeber, Black Friday week, to around the week before Christmas when sales are at the highest of the year. I don't think January is a good month because it is the lowest sales month of the year and people are just coming off spending tons of money on holiday season shopping, March/April would be better. I am speaking of course from Interscope's point of view, personally I don't mind it coming out in January, I will buy it regardless

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2008, 06:23:32 AM »

i see.

I think Interscope would probably love to have it by late Novemeber, Black Friday week, to around the week before Christmas when sales are at the highest of the year. I don't think January is a good month because it is the lowest sales month of the year and people are just coming off spending tons of money on holiday season shopping, March/April would be better. I am speaking of course from Interscope's point of view, personally I don't mind it coming out in January, I will buy it regardless

yeah i'm sure that Interscope knows when it's best to drop it.
well april has just started, so let's hope Dre can finish Detox this year, otherwise it will probably automatically be delayed (according to your view; offcourse you could be wrong, but i think your impression of Interscope's release strategy makes sense).

I answered this one above,lets say it took me a couple of days to really get into his previous albums.
I´m not easily sold  :P,the first impression counts.
But with an artist like Dre,I´ll give it a chance or two before I dismiss it.

After all it´s Dre  :P :P ;)

i see; well i can only speak for myself offcourse  :laugh:
i've caught myself liking certain tracks of an album that i didn't like before so many times  :laugh:

so as far as Detox, i think the critic "attitude" is definitely a good thing, but i think that's why a first impression when listening to Detox is probably going to be a disappointment.
i could be wrong, as i said, i can only speak for myself.

when listening to Detox a couple of times, "we" may notice things that we didn't notice before or we start to like the direction etc.  :laugh:

that's why i try to prepare myself for a dissapointment when i finally get the chance to hear it for the first time(offcourse this isn't really possible, since i haven't gotten a proper view of Detox, but still  :P ),

I always thought of Dre's albums as compilations so I don't really mind that part 
i see, but Dre's "soloalbums" do give a different feeling than a regular compilation/soundtrack right?
( or would you put the aftermath compilation and the wash soundtrack in the same category as The Chronic and 2001?).
despite the various guest features, they do give me the feeling of a regular album.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:51:56 AM by Dre-Day - Officer of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2008, 07:29:12 AM »
It has been a longer wait for a Dre single this time because he had "Been There Done That" in '96 so he dropped one 3 years later

he had Zoom in 98 with LL and I believe the wild wild west soundtrack with "bad guys always die" came out in 99 before 2001 too ...so there was a lot more dre (vocal) presence overall

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
It has been a longer wait for a Dre single this time because he had "Been There Done That" in '96 so he dropped one 3 years later

he had Zoom in 98 with LL and I believe the wild wild west soundtrack with "bad guys always die" came out in 99 before 2001 too ...so there was a lot more dre (vocal) presence overall

Yeah. That presence is what the game's been missing.

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »

These are some parts of the comments from "mellow man". Do you know who is this guy for real ? I read it would mike elizondo. If that shit is real the album is gonna be like that :  8)

"The Vibe award incident really had a big impact on Dre. I have never seen Dre as determined and focused as he is right now. His anger and will to defeat all those who try to bring him down are having a direct impact on the aggressive nature of his recent productions. I promise you that no one is as driven as Dre is to make Detox FUBAR the competition or anyone who stands in his way.
Dre is looking for a new sound and for that he is working with some people with fresh ideas and grooves. Right now if I were to guess, I would guess that Focus and/or Hi-Tek will be to Detox what Mel-Man was to 2001.
Every time Dre has changed sounds he has always done it with a new group of musicians. Detox will be no different. So although some of us on the 2001 crew will be a part of Detox it will probably be a much smaller role and a fresh group of musicians and co producers will get a shot to make their mark. The only thing I know is that Detox will not sound anything like 2001. Dre is really trying to leave a permanent dent on the sound of music with the musical atomic bomb he hopes Detox will be.
He will unleash a new sound when he's confident it will be good enough and creative enough that the 99 percent who are followers will start to try to recreate and copy the new dre sound.
dre is just going to mix, arrainge and create sounds and instruments in a way that has never been heard before- a Andre Mozart Young orchestral piece. like i mentioned before dre is always concerned about his legacy. Detox is going to be the last thing they remember dre with as an artist. he wants to drop music that people will remember forever.
i really can't describe the sound. just think of a wall of sound being shaken by a cali earthquake. i don't know what else to say. i just find myself laughing at some of the stuff cause its so goofy. but the aggression of the pace combined with the crazy instrumentations and swirling arsenal of sounds makes for some funky
and crazy ****. plus Detox will include by far the best collection of mc's for any of his solo albums.
i will only say that people who say that dre's sound has become basic and repetitive will be shocked at Detox. dre's new sound will be really innovative, melodic and musical using a huge array of live instruments and orchestral sounds. there is a reason dre has used a lot of the same style the last few years. it has been done on purpose. one, people used to his current sound, Detox will amaze them cause it is so different. and two, dre refused to copy anyone else - he will stick with one sound til he creates another innovative sound to change the game. and believe me dre will change the game on detox. each song will contionously change in pace, agressiveness, pitch and instruments. it will be nothing as you have ever quite heard before. yes dre has been getting instrumentals from top producers all over the hip hop nation. mostly for backup in case dre just can't come up with enough on his own, but some will probably appear as part of a track. right now dre is a mad scientist and orchestra conducter at the same time. he's preparing a atomic bomb that will destroy the sound barrier. Detox may fail, but its defintely going to be interesting and will cause a lot of differing opinions and discussion. the mc's on the album may be the finest group of mc's to ever appear on one album, and dre will match their lyrical genius with his musical genius. "

The D.O.C and

MisterX

• 'G'
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »

These are some parts of the comments from "mellow man". Do you know who is this guy for real ? I read it would mike elizondo. If that shit is real the album is gonna be like that :  8)

I wish mellow man would come back to the forums, he hasn't posted here in like 2 years. I think he is Mike Elizondo.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2008, 02:05:39 AM »

I wish mellow man would come back to the forums, he hasn't posted here in like 2 years. I think he is Mike Elizondo.
yeah i thought he was Mike too.

whoever he is, i really doubt it was an act; he seemed to mature and had too much knowlegde to make it look like an act.

i wish i was there when he was active on this board  :P

HEC

« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2008, 06:29:04 AM »

whoever he is, i really doubt it was an act; he seemed to mature and had too much knowlegde to make it look like an act.

I wasn't a member at the time but I did read the boards alot and I think he was Elizondo too, he dropped some indepth info but I think there were alot of doubters who eventually chased him away

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »

I wasn't a member at the time but I did read the boards alot and I think he was Elizondo too, he dropped some indepth info but I think there were alot of doubters who eventually chased him away

i don't think that's the reason why he left; he's been around for years, so if the skeptism really bothered him that much he would not have been around that long.

would be great if he returns in the future though, since he would be a perfect contributor for this topic

HEC

« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2008, 06:56:32 AM »

i don't think that's the reason why he left; he's been around for years, so if the skeptism really bothered him that much he would not have been around that long.

would be great if he returns in the future though, since he would be a perfect contributor for this topic

people actually thought he was Mel-Man, I remember going to other websites and seeing quotes stating Mel-Man said this about Rakims album and stuff like that