Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 6451 times)

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 01:33:52 PM »
im hoping it comes out sometime soon

d-nice

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 11:22:12 PM »
At this point I just want the shit to drop already. Not really worried about guests, Dre always has that covered.

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2007, 12:49:05 AM »
limited guest appearances. i hear people saying they want this guy on a track, and that guy on a track

what for?
do u want a dre album, or a dre compilation album

having a few people on a hook and maybe 1-2 guest rappers definately.
but this is the last dre album, so i dont want verses being taken up by other people

and hopefully the production is cutting edge. something completely out of left-field.
like electronica-type hip hop beats for the West Coast!!
 8)
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2007, 02:43:02 AM »
A before Detox video game is a good idea,that´s actually a better idea than adopting the movies story line.
The Youtube idea you came with is also great,you know how they promote movies these days where the actors stay in characther when they´re out there promoting the movies on talk shows and what not,
they can whole gang of fake ones and post them on youtube
another thing they could also do is make some awesome movie "blockbuster" like trailers like they do for those "blockbuster" movies.
You know.... Coming this summer to a hood near you...bla,bla,bla, starring bla,bla,
By the way,I have requested D-Nice (interesting poster) to come in here to join us.
yeah dre definately needs to do something with youtube(...the video with bishop lamont has been viewed 275719 times. and if dre really has something to show(i'm not talking about videos of recording a cetain beat or something like that, that's only extra material), it will probably be viewed a lot more( shouldn't be too hard, by adding a few good tags). i mean, the latest dr.dre interviews have spread across many websites, a youtube video will obviously spread even faster.
a trailer would be a good idea as well, after all, detox is probably not going to be a regular album.
i just hope that dre doesn't continue with this behind closed doors policy (when it comes to promoting detox) until detox is close to being released. sure, interscope will be willing to help out, but dre shouldn't rely too much on interscope. like i said before, i understand that dre doesn't really like the process of promotion, but he doesn't have to do it all by himself.
i know that a lot of people anticipate detox(they don't need promotion), but if dre really wants to set a trend, he needs a more diverse promotion strategy.

Yeah it seems that those that writers/artists that I mentioned above is the core team for Detox
(from what I have read and seen working in the Aftermath studio recently on photo´s and video´s)
I assume that all those beat makers that has submited beats,
is a way for Dre to look for direction for the sound and the beatmaker
he feels got the sound he´s looking and wants to invite as a co-producer for the project. (This person is probably set by now)
I can´t see Dre making a kind of a compilation type of sounding album like "everybody" is doing these days,
that would be a bad direction if you ask me,
to have all kind of styles of beats will fuck up the albums consistency (like most albums these days).
yeah, it would be very bad idea if dre picked those beats from them and put it on detox. but like you said, he probably won't do that, he will just use them as an inspiration.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »
You can't really premiere tracks on concerts these days anymore, because it first leaks on the net in video format and then the mp3 is everywhere, hence the song being played out before the album drops.

I think Dre should do like Kanye and Jay did; organize bunch of listening sessions for the press, so that all the written previews start hitting the net. Look how well that worked for this new Jay's album.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »
I have a feeling that if he does too much concept wise, people won't really accept it until later because it might be too ahead of it's time, and it'll go over a lotta people's heads...so they might not appreciate it at the same level. At this point, most fans could care less about lyrics and stories, let alone a concept for an entire album....it's all about damn singles and weak ringtones now. So I'm sure Dre realizes that fans initial reception might not be as valuable in the future...but a lot of people want this album to "bring the west back", and I don't think it's gonna do that at all...so that's not something I hope for.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2007, 02:37:14 AM »
Moved your post over here since the convo fits this thread.

DUBCNN: Exclusive Video Interview With Bishop Lamont (NEWS-Reformation/Detox
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=158535.0

nice interview  :)

BISHOP LAMONT (November 2007) | Interview By: Eddie Gurrola
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/bishoplamont07/
He wanted to do it like a twelve step program,like if you go to detox,
the Betty Ford Clinic,it’s a twelve step program. So it could only be twelve records.

Well i obviously prefer quality over quantity,but i do hope Dre can put a few more tracks on it though.
Bishop did confirm that Detox is going to be a concept album,which makes sense,
as some of us already predicted that in the serious Detox topic:
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150187.0 (this thread)

http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/children/parents.php

Step 1

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable. Admit powerlessness over your ability to surrender to your love and not your control.

"Parenting is really a struggle between fear and love." The fear that our children, whom we love so much, can be harmed causes us, as parents, to attempt to control the fear by controlling our children. Managing our children through control creates bitterness in ourselves as parents, and breeds anger and rebellion in our children. The alternative is to accept that pain is a part of living, and that our children can learn from pain just as we do as adults. Admitting powerlessness over our life allows for honest parenting. Through acceptance we can share our love with our children and teach them to protect themselves.

Step 2

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. Find hope in the belief that recovery is possible through faith and willingness to work on ourselves.

"Faith is the beginning of hope." The belief in a Power greater than ourselves can help us develop the faith to try new behaviors and create new visions for our families. As members of dysfunctional families, we have all kinds of learned "insanity." These behaviors directly affect our parenting. When we allow a Power greater than ourselves to work in our lives, then miracles are possible.

Step 3

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to God as we understood Him. Reach out for help and acknowledge that you are not alone.

"Asking for help is the lifeline for parents." When we turn our will and our lives over to God, we also turn our children over to His care. Letting go helps us to step aside and let a force greater than ourselves work in our lives and our children's lives. Drawing on the resources around us and attempting to find a good orderly direction helps us gain a sense of peace to meet the challenges of parenting.

Step 4

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. Take stock of yourself as a parent .

"Identifying our strengths and weaknesses helps us own reality. When we see how our personality traits affect our children, we realize how we project our fears onto our children, creating self-fulfilling prophecies. By doing the fourth step, we take responsibility for the things we do not like about ourselves instead of projecting them onto our children. When we look at what our family life was like before recovery, we can get a clear picture of where we were and work to avoid repeating past mistakes.

Step 5

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. Learn to share your parenting issues without self-recrimination.

Sharing our inventory with God and another person helps us to see patterns that have caused us problems. The guilt from the excessive baggage of the past separates us from those we love. Sharing the things we see with our spouse, friends, and support groups allows us to find that we were not as bad a parent as we thought and we have all kinds of support and guidance available around us. Honest communication with a spouse is important so that your efforts can begin to work together for more effective parenting.

Step 6

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. Become ready to change by giving up the demand to be perfect.

"Be ready to change." Our character defects have been the way the child in us has protected itself from a hostile world. As parents, we must face the child in ourselves and tell ourselves that the time has come to give up the old patterns. We must develop new defenses to use when defenses are necessary. This involves finding new ways that do not involve denying our feelings.

Step 7

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings. Make conscious changes in your parenting by identifying specific strategies for healthy parenting.

Willingness to humbly ask for help sets the stage for our spiritual growth as a parent. Since many of us grew up in alcoholic families, asking for help is especially difficult - asking with humility is even harder. We begin to make conscious changes in our parenting. Our old patterns and responses, as well as those of our children, will still occur as we begin to adjust to these changes. Change takes time; setbacks are natural. Setting firm and consistent limits and learning new ways to relate to our children will help as we adjust to the changes.

Step 8

Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all. Take responsibility for the effect your parenting has had on your children and learn self-forgiveness.

Learn to forgive yourself. Accepting the past as a fact and without guilt is an important part of this step. By taking responsibility for the past, we admit the truth about the past (neither judging too harshly, nor minimizing the effects). We can then commit to changing our behaviors that are harmful and follow through on our commitment. Listing new parenting strategies moves us away from guilt and into responsible action. Deciding to change helps release us from self-recrimination. We need to remember that we did not willfully harm our children; we were doing the best with what we had at the time. Now we have more. Being a recovering parent is like being a recovering alcoholic. We can let go of the shame and guilt when we accept our problem and do something about it.

Step 9

Made direct amends to such people whenever possible except when to do so would harm them or others. Make amends to your children through healthy parenting without over-compensating.

The best way to make amends to our children is by being a better parent. Our children can sense when we are trying to make up for lost time or trying to be the "super parent" because of guilt we have. Children often respond with mistrust or manipulation to our over-compensations. When we commit to be the best parent we can be, we share our lives and attention with our children. We accept each other's differences. We give permission for everyone to express their feelings. We start setting firm loving limits for our children and ourselves. It also means reaching inside to heal the child inside ourselves who cries out for love and attention.

Step 10

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it. Model being honest with yourself and your children and create acceptance in your family for imperfection.

Our children learn more from what we do than from what we say. This is a step of self-honesty. We must learn to accept our own imperfections and mistakes before we can teach our children that they can be imperfect and still be loved. By modeling self-honesty and self-acceptance, we demonstrate to our children how to deal with life based on "content of their character" and not how close to perfect they can get.

Step 11

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out. Learn to accept your limits in life and find your true spiritual path while allowing your children theirs.

As parents the hardest limit to accept is the truth that in the end our children will be on their own. By nurturing our own spirituality we, as parents, are able to guide our children toward their own path of spiritual growth. We can share our spiritual principles and values with our children best through our guidance and our example. It is easier to "Let go and let God" when we accept that in the end our children are on their own and we cannot control the choices that they will make. The ability to give thanks for each experience (because experience has made us who we are) helps us to be aware that we are part of a larger plan.

Step 12

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs. Reach out to other parents in the spirit of giving and community.

"You can't keep it unless you give it away." Sharing our experience, strength, and hope is the cornerstone of our program. We can reach of highest potential through helping others strive to better themselves. We need to be involved in our children's schools, in support groups, and in the community. Carrying the message means reaching out and offering a helping hand to other parents when needed and appropriate. It is learning to lead our children in a loving way and give the child within you all he or she needs to grow.

That the intro is called "Intervention" supports this 12 step concept.
So if it is a movie/musical that will be 12 chapters that he will go trough.
I don´t know if you noticed;
BISHOP LAMONT (November 2007) | Interview By: Eddie Gurrola
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/bishoplamont07/

Dubcnn: So it’s definitely a concept-type album?
Oh yeah! I mean, it’s his last hoorah. I always tell people to make it make sense [to them,] this is gonna be his “Return Of The Jedi” in the trilogy of movies. So it’s gonna go hard! I think that’s all you’ve got to say really.
THX it!
But it’s his “Return of the Jedi.”

THX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX

THX is the trade name of a high-fidelity sound reproduction standard for
movie theaters, screening rooms, home theaters, computer speakers, gaming consoles, and car audio systems.
THX stands for Tomlinson Holman's eXperiment.
THX was developed by Tomlinson Holman at George Lucas's company Lucasfilm in 1982 to ensure that the soundtrack for the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi, would be accurately reproduced in the best venues.

If you have read some of mellow-mans posts he hints on something like this.
Then I got to invest in a THX system at home,ha,ha  :laugh:
thanks for the background information  ;) yeah i remember that mellowman talked about something like this.

Dre still considering the 12 step thing ? yep Detox sure looks like it's almost finished  ::)
i understand why you're being skeptic, but there's no need to jump to a conclusion. sure, bishop knows something about detox, but he's not with dre for detox most of the time, he's probably invited to do some features, and he may have been able to listen to some tracks, but that's it. besides, just because dre is not sure about the 12 step program, doesn't mean detox is not almost finished? even if he decides to put more than 12 tracks on detox, that doesn't change anything(well unless he's going to do a double cd, but it's very unlikely that dre is going to do that). let's not forget that dre hasn't worked much more than one year in total on detox, he spent a similar amount of time on the chronic if i remember correctly. sure, the eminem album may delay detox a bit, but i don't think dre wants to delay detox for another year, after all the false release dates(yeah that wasn't smart indeed, but aside from that, i don't think we should blame dre for taking the time for his final album). don't get me wrong, i want detox to be released soon, but only if it's really finished.

I have a feeling that if he does too much concept wise, people won't really accept it until later because it might be too ahead of it's time, and it'll go over a lotta people's heads...so they might not appreciate it at the same level. At this point, most fans could care less about lyrics and stories, let alone a concept for an entire album....it's all about damn singles and weak ringtones now. So I'm sure Dre realizes that fans initial reception might not be as valuable in the future...but a lot of people want this album to "bring the west back", and I don't think it's gonna do that at all...so that's not something I hope for.
well the people who keep expecting from the veterans to bring the west back should realise that these veterans won't be around forever. and like i said in an other topic, the world is bigger than the westcoast. besides, if dre comes with another 2001 with an updated sound ppl will be disappointed ( there are a couple of arguments in this topic why he shouldn't release another 2001). like some of us said before, dre cannot prevent that ppl are going to be disappointed (the expectations are unrealistic), he can only do the best he can, and he knows that he can't come up with another 2001 ( he kind of said that in the mtv interview in 2004).

Westcoastfanatic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Booty!
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2007, 03:16:18 AM »
Damn, Dre got sum crazy shit coming. Hope it's gonna work. That could be dope as fuck.  8)
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2007, 05:25:16 AM »

fuck bringing tha west back he should just make a timeless classic for all the fans of good music  8)

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2007, 06:15:13 AM »
I just don't want him making any abrupt changes that would upset his old fans, in example singing through t-pain vocoder or doing songs for bitches. Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me. And no gay-unit on the album.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2007, 06:17:29 AM »
I just don't want him making any abrupt changes that would upset his old fans, in example singing through t-pain vocoder or doing songs for bitches. Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me. And no gay-unit on the album.

you might be old but you're still a young fucktard inside  8)

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:31 AM »

you might be old but you're still a young fucktard inside  8)
Thanks for the knowledge, Yoda.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »
Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me.

Don't you get it that this is ecactly what Dre does not want to do. If you want that go listen to Chronic and 2001. I expect tracks like Imagine on Detox, concept wise.

I seriously do hope that this is an album with a concept behind it, 12 tracks does seem short for all that wait but let's not forget that it means there's very little room for filler if that does happen. 2001 had 22 tracks and 3,4 joints were dope but could be left off the album. 15 tracks would be perfect, maybe do those 12 tracks and have 3 as a bonus.

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »
Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me.

Don't you get it that this is ecactly what Dre does not want to do. If you want that go listen to Chronic and 2001. I expect tracks like Imagine on Detox, concept wise.
I know that he's not going to rap about those topics. If I don't remember wrong, a couple of years ago he said in an interview that blunts and bitches are played out. But if he finds writing of subjects deeper than bitches, blunts and etc too difficult, I'm not mad about hearing 3rd album of same shit. I should have been more precise, but that's what I meant.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:16:17 AM by gimmeyourshoes »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2007, 09:14:33 AM »
True, I think Bishop has that in plan for the 2nd LP though, "The Impossible Possible" produced by Dr.Dre & Scott Storch. I somehow doubt he'll cancel those Premo, Pete Rock, Lord Finesse, Just Blaze, RZA....

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
Matter of fact I think this should be the "new trend",
Bishop said that his album is now 70% Dre,fuck it just cut away the "30%" and let it all be just Dre and Bishop.
I would say the same if Focus,Dae One or any other producer had done 70%,I want the DJ/producer and MC concept back.
Fuck all those compilation albums with all the "hot" producers and guests.
That bullshit can they save for OST´s and whatever compilations.
i know that 2001 wasn't a concept album, but it basically had one production team, slim shady lp & marshall mathers lp sort of had 2 teams. but it didn't set a trend.

detox is supposed to be more advanced, but why would that album bring the DJ/Producer and MC concept back, while 2001 wasn't able to do that? sure, detox may set a trend when it comes to concept albums and the cinematic approach, but that's not exactly the same as the trend that you were talking about.
i agree with you though, about the consistency of the production of albums.

True, I think Bishop has that in plan for the 2nd LP though, "The Impossible Possible" produced by Dr.Dre & Scott Storch. I somehow doubt he'll cancel those Premo, Pete Rock, Lord Finesse, Just Blaze, RZA....
a dr.dre and scott storch produced album would be dope as hell 8) but he probably already has a lot of tracks completed with the producers that you mentioned, and i don't think he'll put all of the "leftovers" on a free mixtape so they may end up on the 2nd album. but even if bishop is able to complete an album with dre & scott in the studio, interscope can become a problem. what's the deal with bishop anyway; he's signed to aftermath but that's not the same as being signed to interscope right?
i know that he's not listed on the interscope website, so maybe that has got something to do with it(stat quo is listed on the site however; so it probably doesn't make much of a difference)?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2007, 11:42:45 AM »
We was talking about the Bishop album not Detox on that one right there  ;)
But I see The Chronic 2001 as somewhat a concept album,
he tells a story about how he came up and all the trouble he has encountered troughout his long career.
The way he tells the story may be a little "abstract" but you can follow it torugh the album.
my bad. but i also mentioned the marshall mathers lp and the slim shady lp, i know that it wasn't just dre and eminem(slim shady lp was mainly FBT), but it was close to the "DJ/Producer and MC concept".
so i don't think it would set a trend if bishop works just with dre, or only with dre & scott.
but dre must really like bishop if the statement about the production of the 2nd album is true. cause i remember 50 cent saying in an interview with Julio G that dre would never produce a whole album for him( i know that a dre solo is different from a dre & scott collaboration but still). that's why i doubt that bishop's statement is true, because so far, dre hasn't done such things for aftermath projects ( with the exception of 2001 and detox). i wish he did do that though, like he did before he started aftermath.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 04:12:19 AM »
In light of the new XXL blog that has gotten all the angry hip-hop/Dre fans riled up, I made this post for some SERIOUS discussion on Dre's last album. Forget release dates and all the drama...what are you guys hoping Dre does to revitalize hip-hop like he promises to do?

We all know that beats really set the tone in terms of structure and sometimes content of songs. I think Dre's gonna emphasize the "structure" aspect of the music, and shift the paradigm away from three verses and a hook.

I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.

What I think Dre could be moving towards for the Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.
Detox,Scratch Magazine

it's funny that scratch magazine didn't mention the tracks we've mentioned, like don't get carried away, Don't Worry and Oh!. i wonder what other possible leftovers Detox tracks have the same structure as those three tracks( there may be a few more, released on soloalbums, but i can't think of any more tracks).

by the way, i was listening to Marsha Ambrosius' mixtape "Neo Soul is Dead The Chronic mixtape", and i noticed that her singing style sounds very similar to Jewell(death row); she's basically the Jewell of aftermath. i've heard Marsha Ambrosius on various aftermath( related) albums, but this is the first time that i noticed that she sounds similar to Jewell ( maybe it's because of the background singers on those projects).
so i guess she's going to play a similar role on Detox as Jewell did on The Chronic.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2008, 03:56:20 AM »
dre has set the standards so high people expect miracles and will never be happy

and yes dre's stuff if fairly simple, yet very complex. believe me if dre wanted to bring a 64 piece orchestra into the studio and put out an album it would be the most incredible shit you've ever heard. dre usually uses 2 or 3 instruments on individual tracks. add 60 or so other musicans and instruments and let dre direct and create parts for each instrument. he could make the most complex beat you've ever heard. but dre knows most fans don't want to hear that and although dre uses some orchestra instruments in his beats he probably won't go that far. they want to hear simplistic yet very original and complex top notch production.

For the last few years we have been building hundreds of instrumentals for Detox. They ranged from really sparse and simple beats to some of the craziest and most complex beats you have ever heard. We have all worked very hard together to create something truly original and groundbreaking. Picking which ones to actually use is easier said than done. We are striving for 100% live instrumental tracks built completely from scratch which takes a lot of work since we do some many of them before Dre wittles them down later on. Dre pushes us to dig deep and put our own ideas into the skeleton instrumentals we have made alongside him for Detox over the last couple of years. We are really pushing the envelope. In my opinion Dre has thrown out some incredible tracks that we and Dre have built together, but Dre is looking for something specific and if he doesn't hear it he will not use it. the dilema is how complex of tracks will the listening audience want to hear. Do they want orchestra like pieces or the tightly focused, yet simple beats you are used to from Dre. Ideally all of us and Dre want the most mindbending and complex original music experience ever heard on record. But will the audience be happy with that? The last thing we want to do is put out a "concept" album that loses people because it so different than what they are used to hearing. So thats been a big dilema. In the end i think you will hear elements of these complex beats but you won't hear the way they originally were created(those versions will go to the "Dr. Dre vault". At least that is the direction Dre has gone so far. I think the early tracks are as good as anything Dre has ever done - but it is still too early to tell how the final album will sound.

offcourse the expectations are a big issue. but as i've said before, disappointments are inevitable. but it's likely that dre fans will appreciate it over time.
i've noticed this with myself as well; for example, with a test, i expected a certain grade. the final results was only 0.5 point lower than my expectations, but i was still disappointed. but i looked at the test differently later, and then i was more satisfied with the results. so i guess we have a one sided view when looking at the results for the first time.

i don't think it matters too much who dre has as co-producers ( although dre had a great team for 2001), since it's dre who makes the beat structure.
with 2001 he and his team came with a different sound, but the structure was basically still dre  :laugh: not that it's a bad thing, but the thing is, as mellowman pointed out, how far should dre go with detox?
in the past few years i've seen a few different things from him; sometimes the structure was more simple than i'm used to from dre, and sometimes he was experimenting a bit, like on Oh! and Don't get carried away( not a major difference in structure, but slightly different than what he usually does).
and it's hard to speculate what tracks were meant for detox, but got put on other projects. i mean, in most cases, the artists could say that the track was meant for detox, to promote it for their album. so that's why you can't really tell what structure dre has in mind for detox.

^^^^^
Marsh mix-tape?
I have missed out on that one,so I need to check that one out. PM!
have you checked it already? cause i think it's amazing what she can do with her voice, and it's just a mixtape  ;) so i think she would be a great addition to detox.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2008, 07:10:07 AM »
i know it's one year old, and all the info is well known, but i thought it would be a good idea to post the link to the power 106 radio interview with Dr.Dre here:
http://power106.com/audioalbum/dre.aspx

The truth,as good example is when those new Star Wars movies.
People was expecting miracles,I mean MIRACLES.... the hype was crazy much like with Detox.
But what happent? People got dissapointed and was mad pissed,but how could you please 30 something fans (ehhh nerds  :laugh:).
Lucas made a movie for kids,not for old fucks (like me  :laugh:).
When I came out of the midnight screening I was shocked,it was the worst movie I had ever seen.  >:(
I went to see it again in the morning,it grew on me for everytime I went to see it.
Sure it´s still a average movie,not the masterpiece "we all" expected... but it´s not as bad as everybody makes it.
There´s no way around this    :P :P
yeah such a first impression for detox seems very possible. but then again, you could ask yourself, how important is a first impression, like you already pointed out.
the point you made about audience is interesting; while it seems very unlikely that dre will make a Chronic 2000 something album ( especially now that bishop is involved), it still bugs me how far dre is willing to go. i mean, at one point he stopped working on detox; he picked it again up later, and said in interviews, that you've got to give the fans what they want. while i think he had a good impression of what the "people" wanted for 2001, what does he think that the people want for detox this time?

Oh? That was Obie Trice right?
Listening to the more advantgarde Dre tracks like RC´s Fame from The Aftermath Compilation,
even some of the Busta tracks is a little out there like Legends of the fall offs.
Both tracks is a stroke of genius,simply amazing.  :o
Will tracks like these throw the (mainstream) fans off,probably will.....  :laugh:
but fuck it,this is what I want to hear.  :P
What many of Dre´s tracks have missed lately is the "cinamatic" sound,
but with tracks like Don't get carried away,Legends of the fall offs and Murder these murders
he´s in the right direction.
yeah Oh! is from Obie Trice's Cheers album.

i agree with you, but there are also recent productions that i don't really like. the whole area 51 thing around detox has a upside and downside for me; on one hand i like suprises, so in that perspective i think it's a good thing that they are keeping it quiet.
on the other hand, with so little information available, we are ( well i believe so, so correct me if i'm wrong) tend to base our expectations on what we do know/have ( for example, dre's recent productions).

And on another note did you notice Slim The Mobsters comment about working on a movie along with working on Detox?
where did you get that from? pm me about that.

by the way,
I think Dre should do like Kanye and Jay did; organize bunch of listening sessions for the press, so that all the written previews start hitting the net. Look how well that worked for this new Jay's album.
i'd really like this to happen for detox. i believe snoop recently did this for his upcoming album; while reviews are subjective, it's still a great promotion move imo.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »
what point?
my bad, you didn't really make a point, but the part of the quote i was referring to inspired me for my post  :laugh:

while it seems very unlikely that dre will make a Chronic 2000 something album (especially now that Bishop is involved),
it still bugs me how far dre is willing to go.
How about the involvement of Eminem last time around?
The tracks he did with him before he dropped Chronic 2001 was far from "Gangster" or "Hip Hop" for that matter.
I mean, at one point he stopped working on detox; he picked it again up later,and said in interviews,
that you've got to give the fans what they want.
While i think he had a good impression of what the "people" wanted for Chronic 2001,
what does he think that the people want for detox this time?
That´s a hard question to answer,but as I said before I got the impression that the "people" want him to resurect Hip Hop.
...and on top of that he got all those Hip Hop cats in his ears these days.
Bishop and Busta is far from Gangster,pluss the cats they bring along them like Q-Tip (Busta brought him along on The Big Bang).
But remember Chronic 2001 wasn´t exactly gangster either it was a fine mix of Gangster,Hip Hop,Alternative and Pop.
So he covered it all without losing anyone along the ride.
yeah i agree that 2001 was a great mix of different styles, but what i was trying to say ( which was basically said by us before), is that the "gangsta" side still played a huge role on 2001. and for 2001 that was not a problem at all, but this is detox  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so i'd really hope he will give the "gangsta" style a smaller role on detox, like dre said he was planning to do back in 2004.
but maybe i shouldn't be so worried about that; as you pointed out, some of the people that dre works with aren't really gangsta rappers, neither are (some) of their affiliates.
and the question "how far" is impossible for us to answer offcourse  :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:09:23 PM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »
Trough PM´s me and Dre-Day has been discussing that the "I Dominate" track might be the first single for Detox.
Here´s why;
-First what is Bishop Lamont dominating?
-Bishop said there will be annoncement VERY SOON! in one of his last interviews. (Dre-Day find this  ;))
-The annocement might come on Dre´s birthday.....
-+ Nima said Detox is coming very,very soon. Nima might have some "exclusive" info,yet to be leaked  :D?

So let´s see how this plays out  :D :D

yeah it's just a theory, but remember this:
Dubcnn: As far as “The Reformation” is concerned, you’re going to do a video for the first single soon. Do you want to tell us anything about that?

We’re going to be going somewhere real exotic. Thanks Dre! We’re gonna be having a ball and doing something real stupid, doing something real fresh, real fun for the West Coast. [It’s] not the typical “I’m in the parking lot, I’m in front of a liquor store.” You know what I’m sayin’? That shit is pretty much played! “I’ve got a graffiti backdrop! I’m hood!” I’m 29 by the time you see this, so I ain’t no little kid. We’ve got to do things on a classier level, on a grown man level, and still be big kids and be foolish. So you’re going to enjoy it! I’m gonna leave it alone, but just to let you know, the song is called “I Dominate.” That’s what we’re going to do. We’re gonna dominate the charts, we’re gonna dominate hip-hop. You’ll see!
so like chad said, how is he going to dominate the charts when he relatively unknown to the mainstream? a dre single could help, but the best promotion you can have is to be introduced by dre on detox. the reformation might still drop before detox, but usually dre introduces somebody before releasing their soloalbum ( snoop dogg, hittman).
Eminem was an exception, but i guess that was because of interscope, and the fact that some "old" material was reused; they really want to put an album out fast.

by the way, chad, you mixed up bishop with Dawaun Parker, look:

Dubcnn: So as we look to the future, one question remains. Can fans expect to hear Detox within the next twelve months?

(Laughs) Ah, twelve months? I don't know. (Laughs) I – I think that's a long time! A year from now? I can't – I wouldn't see why it would be that long! (Laughs) I – I think there will be an announcement or something will be said soon.

dre's birthday comes to mind; last year he got interviewed by power106 on his birthday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:33:41 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »

I hated Onyx and their hit Slam.... their screaming was hella annoying.  :P :P
After Tanji brought the album up a year ago that the album was done in
alter ego characthers like Dre had (has?) planned(s?) to. (see quote below)
I was interested in checking this album out,boy was I in for a suprise.....  :o :o
The albums best cuts is hella dope,damn I hope Dre still will go trough with his original plans.
I posted three tracks from the album so you can get an idea how the story is going and how Detox could play out.

In case you have missed Dre original plan for Detox;
MTV
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml
Dr.Dre;
"I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore,so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record trough a characther's eyes,"
Dre said,
"And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a characther,so it's basically going to a hip hop musical"

well the hints we got from the people close to dre confirmed that detox is still a concept album (for those who haven't seen the hints, check other serious detox topic http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=169127;)

it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't; i mean how else would dre be able to put all those different artists on detox and not make it a compilation?

all those people can be characters, and some will obviously get bigger roles than others.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't; i mean how else would dre be able to put all those different artists on detox and not make it a compilation?
all those people can be characters, and some will obviously get bigger roles than others.

Yep just check how briliant you can do a posse cut with alot of
features without making it sound like you just threw a bunch of cats on a track;
Sticky Fingaz; Black trash; The Autobiography of Kirk Jones

09 - State Vs Kirk Jones.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?ignyczgdxaj

^^^^All the cats featured plays a alter ego characther on the track... genius!!!! ^^^

yeah, that was put together well indeed  ;)

Dre has some great writers on his team, so it sure looks promising  :)

guilty conscience had characters for example, but it was just for one song.

anyway, whatever the story is gonna be like, RBX won't play the devil, that's for sure  :laugh:
in Ronin Ro's book, have gun will travel, RBX was quoted from an interview, saying that he didn't want to play the devil on murder was the case, since it went against his principles  :firedevil:

D-Reborn

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Death is certain, life is not
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
i'm not expectin anything close to the chronic or 2001

8) 8) 8)