Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 15988 times)

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »
In light of the new XXL blog that has gotten all the angry hip-hop/Dre fans riled up, I made this post for some SERIOUS discussion on Dre's last album. Forget release dates and all the drama...what are you guys hoping Dre does to revitalize hip-hop like he promises to do?

We all know that beats really set the tone in terms of structure and sometimes content of songs. I think Dre's gonna emphasize the "structure" aspect of the music, and shift the paradigm away from three verses and a hook.

I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.

What I think Dre could be moving towards for the Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.

Also, I don't know how much rock you guys listen to, but some artists like The Mars Volta structure albums that seamlessly flow from one song to the next. Usually the songs transform, or carry on a certain sound that gradually switches up. Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspenseful.

These ideas might seem to complicated or "not hip hop" but I think Dre could really change the game with a cinematic approach to the Detox. It would truly be a masterpiece if pulled off together. What do you guys think?

...Another thing I want to add is that even though songs may blend, the songs can be taken individually and still satisfy the listener. This creates an effect of being able to get into the CD at different levels - the casual approach where the typical fan just bumps the singles/skips around, and another level where someone could sit down and listen to the whole thing like watching a movie. Same thing goes for a good book...on the outside it could be a gripping action novel that someone reads to pass time, but underneath it could have endless layers you could analyze over and over again.

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:55:12 AM »
Everything u said was on point with makin' the album play like a movie if u wanted to go that deep in listening to the album.........that would be raw........u know that Dre gonna come with something that is new and never thought of........honestly Im just wantin' to hear some raw new Dre beats on an album that has "Detox" on the cover............

StevenQBosell

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:03:02 AM »
For me honestly, I don't a) even think it'd gonna come out before 2009, and b) am expecting a masterpiece beyond my wildest dreams or something that is totally not my taste...

I hope its a grand masterpiece

Okka

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:05:39 AM »
New classic Doctor music, i hope Snoop, Kurupt & Nate gon be on it too (would be dope)

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:28:31 AM »
Really good post man, +1.I gotta say that if Dre has taken up the idea for an album that you described in your post, it would be something spectacular for me, since I haven't been able to experience such an approach in the past.

And if he decides to go anopther route, with an approach we may have or haven't discussed, I expect my reaction to be like the above one, i.e. I'll hope for ALOT when I get the chance to listen to Detox.

And another ting, production aside, I'm also expecting lyrics to be above average at least
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:40:23 AM »
I hope it's not like 2001, with a huge list of guests. I'd prefer if Dre picked like 8 artists, and filled the album with combinations of them. I like the idea of lots of co-producers, get a good mix of sounds going. Nate, Cube and Snoop are must haves, but if he stuck people like Kurupt or Game on their, the album would suffer.

THE WORST would be, if every track featured different artists, just for promotion. Like if he put Lil' Wayne on their or something. Stick to west coast artists, and use good ones.

T-Dub

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »
I just hope that it actually comes out. ;)

I read somewhere before about him incorporating different signature instruments for each artist like "Peter and the Wolf."  That would be interesting and creative for a Hip-Hop album and would definitely give it that cinematic appeal like Lakersalldaway was saying.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 08:37:19 AM »
what am i hoping for ......... a classic

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 08:38:44 AM »

On Point Mayne!!!!

Further on this, i would love Music that will echo through the years!!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

TRG

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 08:42:50 AM »

pretty much

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 08:48:32 AM »
do you mean what I expect or what I hope for?

I hope for features like DPGC, Roscoe, Kokane, MC Eiht, Xzibit, Ice Cube, MC Ren and maybe a bay collabo with another veteran like Too $hort. I also hope for some singin in the hooks and a bit g-funk sound and of course some new bangin shit. and another skit with people fuckin lol

what I expect:
just nothing. I expect wack features all over the album like g-unit, em, d-10, obie and other bring shit. I expect a release in late 08 if not 09. I expect nothing new musically. I don't think Detox will be the classic that it should be.

I know I sound very pessimistic, but if my fears won't come true, it will be a nice surprise for me.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

~Lucien~

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 08:59:20 AM »
timeless music. on point lyrics. clear mastering. top notch production. no g-unit. a track with dre/snoop/game.

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 10:54:12 AM »
do you mean what I expect or what I hope for?

I hope for features like DPGC, Roscoe, Kokane, MC Eiht, Xzibit, Ice Cube, MC Ren and maybe a bay collabo with another veteran like Too $hort. I also hope for some singin in the hooks and a bit g-funk sound and of course some new bangin shit. and another skit with people fuckin lol

LOL not happening nobody but you and another couple of lames in here wants that kind of shit on detox  8)

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
timeless music. on point lyrics. clear mastering. top notch production. no g-unit.

yeah exactly and a good front/back/inside cover...
the 2k1 one was cheap
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

makavel_i

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 12:17:32 PM »
dre is gonne give us a classic

bottom line

dre is dre