Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 6625 times)

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • WHUT UP FRED
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »
People That Dont Want On It

Eminem
50 Cent
Jay-Z
G-UNIT
Pretty much anybody thats not westcoast

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

MediumL

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 10:43:14 AM »
Something that I personally enjoy as much as 2001 and Chronic. I couldnt give two shits if it doesnt go plat or isnt a world wide hot but as long as its a west coast sounding album then i'm happy. Don't care if non west coast artists are on it cause there arent that many great west coast artists atm.

I'm pretty sure he'll have a couple bangers that are on par with Still Dre, Nuthin But A G Tang, Let Me Ride, Next Episode etc...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

greko

• 'G'
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »
I am secretly hoping that DOC will actually spit a verse... That would be dope as hell!!  8)

I also hope the usual guests: Snoop, DPG, Cube, Bishop Lamont, Game...
But what I just want is Dre to drop that record and to do his thang on it!

Paul

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Salute
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 05:11:49 PM »
im hoping its worth this fuckin wait!
funkyfreshintheflesh

Westcoastfanatic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Booty!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »
- Sick original beats which are still gonna sound fresh in 2020.
- Some tracks with rap legends like Rakim, KRS-One, Scarface or Ice-T for example.
- Some tracks with underground/new rappers.
- No tracks with corny pop stars like Justin Timberlake.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

OG Hack Wilson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 07:13:38 PM »
if Dre were to pony up some pay to get an unreleased Pac verse to throw on there that'd be tight hopefully

it'd be dope to see some Dre solo's
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Dodgers#1

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »
People That Dont Want On It

Eminem
50 Cent
Jay-Z
G-UNIT
Pretty much anybody thats not westcoast

true homie but to bad cuz all of them will be on that album  :-\

no1wammy

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 09:31:31 PM »
Because Detox is Dre's last album, it will most likely be a double-disc album that is sure to fuck the Cadillacs, clubs and conventions good like foreplay. Dre is a bad ass producer who knows the ins and outs of beat making, but most importantly direction. A lot of producers beef on him because he steals beats, but remember that you can't be a producer if you just make beats. There needs to be coaching, instructions, rules - that's why Dre is nicknamed the Doc for a reason.

Beat handling - keep it all Dre. He did it since The Chronic and Chronic 2001. He will be coaching producers, however, so keep an eye out for some "no-namers."

Guest stars are gonna be very interesting. Most likely, it will be every choice artist that has worked with Dr. Dre throughout his music career. Snoop Dogg, Xzibit, Ice Cube, MC Ren, DJ Quik, Kurupt, Daz Dillinger, The Game, Cypress Hill, Too Short, Knoc'turnal, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Bishop Lamont, Ras Kass, 40 Glocc, Lil' Eazy E, and other familiar west coast names - they'll be in it.

Who's also kicked it with the Surgeon General? Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, Busta Rhymes, Lil' Wayne, Eve, Jadakiss, Obie Trice, 50 Cent & G-Unit, Gwen Stefani, Mary J. Blige. But do not forget - Joell Ortiz is part of the Aftermath roster, and Omar Cruz might seal one of Doc's beats on his upcoming Sign Of The Cruz album.

Suffice to say, anything can happen.

G.O.D. Pt. III

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 09:53:42 PM »
I don't give a fuck who is on it. As long as it's good which follows no guidelines.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tgcK_ctvaZI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tgcK_ctvaZI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-CZe5SrVHaA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-CZe5SrVHaA</a>

Dodgers#1

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 04:08:58 PM »
fuck that it aint never coming out

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »
I know we got the full length LA Times interview, but was the GQ interview ever posted?
The LA Times interview was pretty good, but the interviewer didn't ask much about Detox itself.

SAINTX3

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »
First of all, I think Dre should expand Detox over a double CD at LEAST! All these years, it's the least he can do for his fans....How about a "4 CD Set"!!!!! That would be unheard of! And just get the entire westcoast on it!!! He should get everyone back on board from Chronic 2001 PLUS add on a whole new slew of westcoast artists on top of that, and re-unite with The Game! Collaborate with DJ Quik as well as Lil Eazy-E and DJ Yella!!! How about Ice Cube?? Shit, while he's at it he should put that N.W.A. album back on the drawing board and use Lil Eazy-E in place of his late father!!! Dre needs to stop fucking around and go above and beyond anyones expectations whith this album and just really make a unrivaled, unmatchable diamond masterpiece!!!!!!

LongBeachsFinest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Mafia, Get it? Got it? Good!
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
01 - Cinematic (Morning to night - a day in compton/california)
02 - Co Producers (Kanye, The Runners, RZA, Lil' Jon, Hi Tek, DJ Paul/Juicy J, Just Blaze, The Neptunes, Mel Man, Daz, Warren G)
03 - Guests (Snoop, Kurupt, 2Pac, Biggie, Eazy, NWA, Eminem, 50 Cent, Spider Loc, Young Buck, Game)
04 - DVD behind the scenes
05 - Remix Disc
06 - The DETOX story in the album credits (the story of the character, kinda like a comic book)
07 - Manaj and Hood Surgeon DVD

spider fucking loc and young buck? what the fucks wrong with you?

"i was ultimate warrior to you bully ass niggas, i will come through the hood with the fully ask niggas"

• 'G'
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »
To actually be released.

Okka

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2007, 04:56:35 PM »
Joell Ortiz is part of the Aftermath roster

Is he really signed?

messi19

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 06:54:10 PM »
Im guessin like dude said before i think the production will be like shit he did for Jay-Z (Lost Ones, 30 Something) Snoop (Imagine) with Piano riffs and stuff like dat.

The album will probably be a double disc, if not shit is just stupid cuz he said he was gonna have people he's been workin with through out the years. And truust 50 will be on the album, with a track featuring him, Game and then Dre.

But on some real shit if it was up to me, feature wise, i'd pick:

Suge on the intro

Britney Spears (on a hook)

50 cent & G-Unit

Timbaland

Liiiil Wayne aka the best rappa alive Weezy F. Baby.

and then maybe T.I., Ja Rule., Snoop and Eminem.

LOL im just playin..

Game
Snoop
X-Z
Crooked I
NWA wit Lil-E
Nas, Scarface (or maybe Jay-Z but i dont think he would fit in) on a track
DJ Quik, MC Eith on a track
Butch Cassidy
Ice Cube, WC, Mack 10 on a track (LOL)
Bone Thugs
Bishop
DPG
Nate Dogg

and shiit then maybe give the new cats some shit instead..like Ya Boy, Jay Rock and them.

Yeah i know, im goin overboard LMAO, but like i said this is just what i woulda made cuz he gotta come with somethings that'll go ova our heads (n/h)..
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:05:53 PM by messi19 »

DR. DRE

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
  • AFTERMATH ENTERTAINMENT CEO/PRODUCER
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »
Be patient. I'm working on a gem for you all.
Detox is coming!!
Aftermath weight bench press champion ( I see you Busta )

WestCoasta

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »
01 - Cinematic (Morning to night - a day in compton/california)
02 - Co Producers (Kanye, The Runners, RZA, Lil' Jon, Hi Tek, DJ Paul/Juicy J, Just Blaze, The Neptunes, Mel Man, Daz, Warren G)
03 - Guests (Snoop, Kurupt, 2Pac, Biggie, Eazy, NWA, Eminem, 50 Cent, Spider Loc, Young Buck, Game)
04 - DVD behind the scenes
05 - Remix Disc
06 - The DETOX story in the album credits (the story of the character, kinda like a comic book)
07 - Manaj and Hood Surgeon DVD

spider fucking loc and young buck? what the fucks wrong with you?

if 2Pac and Biggie isn't the dumbest idea I don't know what is...

Unknown White Male

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »
I think tuscan raiders are an undervalued benefit to the economy and all this bs about them "leeching off the system" is blown way out of proportion

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 01:44:53 PM »
True,ppl will be disappointed no matter when it's going to be released (the expectations are so unrealistic)
I obviously don't know how the "2004" Detox would sound like,but even back then, ppl would have been disappointed
(if it's true that the beats that were supposed to be on that Detox,were sold to other artists,I'm glad detox didn't come out in 2004).
about cancelling,he should do that if he can't release it between now&2 years I guess,cause if he's not ready soon,he'll never be ready.
but before the chronic,he also had a lot of pressure
(I mean, he was continuing to develop a different sound,he never knew it would become so popular,what if it flopped?),
even though it's different. But it didn't ruin the quality of the album.
Before The Chronic 2001,he had pressure,to prove that he didn't fall off.
So if he can't complete Detox,that means it's the first time that the pressure is too much for him to release a soloalbum.
I'm not saying it's easy,but so far,the pressure motivated Dre even more (well at least with the first 2 albums).
and yeah i noticed that the subject matter in the topic has changed a lot,but that's good,
cause i think we shouldn't give the topic starter too much attention.

It became another Detox thread ha,ha.
Maybe Jome should merge it with another one?
Like the "The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?" thatīs going?
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150187.25
There is some interesting things in the thread like the cinematic approach that no one really picked up on.
I can copy and paste in here? or Jome can merge the threads what do you think?
Yeah,but pressure is even more this time around because he got two certified SOLO albums under his belt this time around.
When he dropped the first Chronic he didnīt have a classic SOLO album to follow up,
you could argue that every top to bottom Dre produced album is a "solo" release (I know I would),
so then I guess youīre right he had to follow up a almost flawless merit.
(Straight outta Compton,Eazy Duz it,No One can do it better,100 Miles and Runnin and Niggaz4Life was all almost flawless classics).
...and on top of that Tim Dog had taken the Hip Hop scene by storm with his hit "Fuck Compton",
so yeah he had to prove that he and the entire West Coast had what takes to make tight shit. So yeah when I think about youīre right.
When it came to The Chronic 2001 it was another scenario,sure he had to follow up a classic SOLO album,
but the Hip Hop scene had doubts that he had what takes anymore.
The Aftermath and The Firm both got luke warm reviews,
even if they should NOT be credited as Dre "solo" work,hell he only produced like 5-7 tracks on each right?

yeah i guess you're right tusken when you say that the pressure for detox is so different from any other dre situation. dre has accomplished so many things, and came up with a few different sounds during his whole career, that after all those years the expectation level is so high.
but i don't think that's a reason not to release the album. i mean, saleswise it will probably do well; ppl may be disappointed at first, but may appreciate the album much more later.

and about the albums you mentioned that could be called a dre soloalbum; well any album that has dre production from top to bottom could be called a dre soloalbum yes ( basically no aftermath release fit in that category, with the exception of 2001, since it's obviously an official dre soloalbum). the aftermath compilation is very close to being one, even though it had some R&B tracks on it, most tracks had a matching sound.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:00:16 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2007, 03:21:12 AM »
We all know that beats really set the tone in terms of structure and sometimes content of songs. I think Dre's gonna emphasize the "structure" aspect of the music, and shift the paradigm away from three verses and a hook.
I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.
What I think Dre could be moving towards for the Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.
Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspenseful.
i really do hope dre is still using that concept, because don't get carried away is such a great song. even though i don't really like the song don't worry as much as i like don't get carried away, they are both great examples of what you just said ( with "don't worry" the beat is very different when mary J signs, then during the moments the game raps).
and if it's really true that Dre tries to work with ( almost) everybody that he has worked with in the past, the concept will work out well, because then he will have so many different kind of artists on the album and that creates a varied listening experience. besides, dre is very good at making an instrumental that matches a specific artist, so if anybody can pull this off, it's dre.

i mean, 2001 was a good album, but he still played it safe(especially when it comes to lyrics). so i don't think he should do that again, he must go further than that. i mean, "just" creating a new sound that can be recognised in every song is not enough, he should come up with a different beat structure(like you said lakers), so that transition from one song to another is more smooth ( that would mean the whole album is basically one big song, one story; not just a lot of pieces put together and mixed to have a matching sound).
i also hope the concept won't be just put on the cd, but somehow expanded in other things as well ( the booklet, an international tour, additional video material on dvd, internet), so that all those pieces tell a part of the story;it doesn't have to be a soundtrack to a movie( the direction of the music, and the subject matter would be limited that way).
as far as promoting detox, offcourse he should do the things he usually does, but he must really use the internet a lot more ( i mean, other ppl can help him with that).
unfortunately, dre is a behind the scenes type of person, so he'll probably never do record some stuff for youtube.

Westcoastfanatic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Booty!
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2007, 08:49:08 AM »
Still think Dre should do a track called "The Final Episode".
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 03:27:46 AM »
hehe, funny that you come up with these quotes again, to keep the discussion going  ;) i just felt like i didn't really had anything to add anymore in this topic.
it's just too bad that apart from us, not many have come up with something that would keep the discussion alive ( i know it's hard, that's why not just us should do it)

just to make sure that i know what this concept is all about( after checking this topic again, i got a little confused); so all of the artists that will be on detox are going to be a "character", so they do their part of the story (either by singing or rapping ), and as soon as an other character appears on a song the beat changes ( just like with the song "Don't get carried away"). ok that's pretty clear, but
So instead of just putting out a final album as a vocalist and staying behind a desk or a mix board -in essence watching others do what he still seems to like,which is rapping- he can put the album out the leap right into film,as even more visual way of expressing himself...
that quote got me a little confused. i mean, directing a movie is a lot more visual than doing detox ( i mean, yeah the music tells a story, but it's only audio. unless the whole album is a big music video, i think it's a major switch).

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »
yeah, but i think it's funny that not many ppl contribute to this topic; some ppl have their mouth full in the "regular" detox topics, but as soon as there is some serious discussion topic about detox, they won't reply. i'm not demanding anybody to contribute here, but if you don't post here, then at least post some constructive criticism about the album in other "serious" detox topics.

anyway, back to the concept:
MTV
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml
Dr.Dre;
"I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore,so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record trough a characther's eyes,"
Dre said,"And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a characther,so it's basically going to a hip hop musical"

www.hhnlive.com/features/more/239
...Recently,he's been saying he's going to release it. And while he's done this before and failed to deliver,one difference this time is that he now has a new film deal for his imprint crucial.
So instead of just putting out a final album as a vocalist and staying behind a desk or a mix board -in essence watching others do what he still seems to like,which is rapping- he can put the album out the leap right into film,as even more visual way of expressing himself...

well i like the idea of the movie thing, as long as it's more advanced than the wash ( and the soundtrack); the wash wasn't bad, but i'm expecting a bit more from a final solo project. i mean, the connection between the movie "The Wash" and the soundtrack wasn't so strong. and if it's too hard for dre to make a full movie out of detox, he could always reduce the playing time of the movie ( as long as it's not as short as murder was the case; otherwise it's impossible to make a full soundtrack off of it); that way Dre can completely expand the vibe of the story through the music. creating the story is going to be hard though; contentwise it doesn't really matter to me, it doesn't have to be revolutionary, although i hope it will be a bit more original than the wash ( but still have a good representation of each artist's/character's personality involved).

by the way, 50 cent even had his own videogame, he succesfully exploited his own story with different tools(regardless of the quality, he did a good job at promoting himself). i'm not saying that dre should make a deal with a game developer, i'm just saying that a videogame, is just another tool i can think of than can expand the vibe of detox ( so it's more than a gimmick).

Scratch; Did you have any conversation about DETOX?
Mahogany; The road Dre lead me down was like "iīm thinking about making the album like a movie,like having 16 bar jazz pieces,live instruments." So I started looking for jazz loops and found one by the group WAR,a 22-bar loop of keys. I think it just tells a story. Dre is trying to tell a story so the instruments have to do that
Scratch; So what story are you trying to tell?
Mahogany; "Bad Intensions" was about party,exess etc. In the movie "Very Bad Things",four dudes were having a bachelor party in Vegas,doing drugs,sex etc. Then something tragic happens with one of the hookers. So I was thinking it opens with one last party,and something tragic happens to make him want to DETOX
maybe it's just me, but to me the song "Bad Intentions" it not much more than a loop with a few sound effects. don't get me wrong, the song is not bad at all, but the concept wasn't worked out well through the instrumental imo. thankfully, this song is 6 years old, and we've already mentioned better songs that would fit the detox concept better.

What these comments by Dre and Ronin Ro seem to imply is that it will be a soundtrack to a actual movie,
where the artists plays a alter ego characther to go along with whatever story Dre got plans for.
This is very interesting if they manage to pull it off.
Takes a lot of work,maybe thatīs what is "delaying" it?
Dre wantīs this to be the album they remember him for,
so it got to be some next level shit and "just another" album might not be enough?
Maybe Iīm reading to much into it?
nah you got it right; i mean, in 1999 with "2001" he did a good job(even though it wasn't as influential as the Chronic ), but he can't release another "2001" with an updated sound in 2007( i certainly expect dre to at least try to come up with something different, and i'm not just talking about the sound).

lol this topic is good, it got me hyped up for detox  :laugh: even though we don't know much about the current state of detox, it's so interesting to have all these interviews put together with our own ideas.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:40:06 PM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 02:42:36 AM »
anyway, back to the concept:
MTV
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml
Dr.Dre;
"I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore,so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record trough a characther's eyes,"
Dre said,"And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a characther,so it's basically going to a hip hop musical"

www.hhnlive.com/features/more/239
...Recently,he's been saying he's going to release it. And while he's done this before and failed to deliver,one difference this time is that he now has a new film deal for his imprint crucial.

uuuuuuhhhhh,now you got me worried. The Wash is far from a classic movie and soundtrack.
Hope he donīt think along those lines,like you said,itīs not that the movie and OST was that bad but still.....
I was hoping for a more artistic vision,with the actual music playing along with the movie with the story line and little or non dialog at all. It could be animated,whatever like some shit you can put on at home in the background with images while the music is playing.
No the content donīt have to be revolutnionary,I actually would be prefer if it was abstract and artsy than some shallow corny shit.
Game? Why not? It may sound like a gimmick,but itīs the way the content is presented that matters in the end.

Yeah,thatīs why the story line idea is good.
He has kind of run out of subject matter,
we donīt need to hear the same "resurection" shit that he has been using ever since The Chronic 2001 up until now.
...and good and "easy" way to go around this is to play it out in a alter ego persona.

yeah, that's why i said i was a little confused in one of my previous posts. i guess you're right, if detox would also be like a regular movie, it would have been too big an too risky ( i was already thinking, how is dre going to pull this off, he doesn't really have actors on his team?). so detox (hopefully!) will be similar to murder was the case(there wasn't much dialog in it right?), just a lot longer, that would be awesome! and that will most likely happen, and i think that's what dre had in mind when talking to mtv.
yeah a videogame would be good, because a videogame can have the same story, or it can actually tell the story before detox, or something like that. it's not required though, but like i said, it's one tool that i can think of that can expand the detox vibe, and i hope anybody else can mention a few other tools.

The Mahogany interview is like only a year old,but still...
I donīt think that Mahogany meant that they should use that track again,but a similar scenario played out.
I donīt think Mahogany is involved with record,from what I could gather so far into the production of the album,
The Core Detox team consists of writers and artists that will help Dre to articulate Dreīs ideaīs;
Busta Rhymes,Stat Quo,Bishop Lamont,Eminem and The D.O.C.
yeah i don't think Mahogany is going to be involved with detox either, he's probably just one of the many producers that sold a beat to dre, which might end up on detox.