Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 16005 times)

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2007, 05:17:29 AM »
I just don't want him making any abrupt changes that would upset his old fans, in example singing through t-pain vocoder or doing songs for bitches. Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me. And no gay-unit on the album.

you might be old but you're still a young fucktard inside  8)

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »
I just don't want him making any abrupt changes that would upset his old fans, in example singing through t-pain vocoder or doing songs for bitches. Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me. And no gay-unit on the album.

you might be old but you're still a young fucktard inside  8)
Thanks for the knowledge, Yoda.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2007, 06:51:58 AM »
Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me.

Don't you get it that this is ecactly what Dre does not want to do. If you want that go listen to Chronic and 2001. I expect tracks like Imagine on Detox, concept wise.

I seriously do hope that this is an album with a concept behind it, 12 tracks does seem short for all that wait but let's not forget that it means there's very little room for filler if that does happen. 2001 had 22 tracks and 3,4 joints were dope but could be left off the album. 15 tracks would be perfect, maybe do those 12 tracks and have 3 as a bonus.

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2007, 07:11:42 AM »
Sticking to old topics, bitches, guns and blunts, suits for me.

Don't you get it that this is ecactly what Dre does not want to do. If you want that go listen to Chronic and 2001. I expect tracks like Imagine on Detox, concept wise.
I know that he's not going to rap about those topics. If I don't remember wrong, a couple of years ago he said in an interview that blunts and bitches are played out. But if he finds writing of subjects deeper than bitches, blunts and etc too difficult, I'm not mad about hearing 3rd album of same shit. I should have been more precise, but that's what I meant.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:16:17 AM by gimmeyourshoes »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2007, 08:14:33 AM »
True, I think Bishop has that in plan for the 2nd LP though, "The Impossible Possible" produced by Dr.Dre & Scott Storch. I somehow doubt he'll cancel those Premo, Pete Rock, Lord Finesse, Just Blaze, RZA....

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »
Matter of fact I think this should be the "new trend",
Bishop said that his album is now 70% Dre,fuck it just cut away the "30%" and let it all be just Dre and Bishop.
I would say the same if Focus,Dae One or any other producer had done 70%,I want the DJ/producer and MC concept back.
Fuck all those compilation albums with all the "hot" producers and guests.
That bullshit can they save for OST´s and whatever compilations.
i know that 2001 wasn't a concept album, but it basically had one production team, slim shady lp & marshall mathers lp sort of had 2 teams. but it didn't set a trend.

detox is supposed to be more advanced, but why would that album bring the DJ/Producer and MC concept back, while 2001 wasn't able to do that? sure, detox may set a trend when it comes to concept albums and the cinematic approach, but that's not exactly the same as the trend that you were talking about.
i agree with you though, about the consistency of the production of albums.

True, I think Bishop has that in plan for the 2nd LP though, "The Impossible Possible" produced by Dr.Dre & Scott Storch. I somehow doubt he'll cancel those Premo, Pete Rock, Lord Finesse, Just Blaze, RZA....
a dr.dre and scott storch produced album would be dope as hell 8) but he probably already has a lot of tracks completed with the producers that you mentioned, and i don't think he'll put all of the "leftovers" on a free mixtape so they may end up on the 2nd album. but even if bishop is able to complete an album with dre & scott in the studio, interscope can become a problem. what's the deal with bishop anyway; he's signed to aftermath but that's not the same as being signed to interscope right?
i know that he's not listed on the interscope website, so maybe that has got something to do with it(stat quo is listed on the site however; so it probably doesn't make much of a difference)?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:45 AM »
We was talking about the Bishop album not Detox on that one right there  ;)
But I see The Chronic 2001 as somewhat a concept album,
he tells a story about how he came up and all the trouble he has encountered troughout his long career.
The way he tells the story may be a little "abstract" but you can follow it torugh the album.
my bad. but i also mentioned the marshall mathers lp and the slim shady lp, i know that it wasn't just dre and eminem(slim shady lp was mainly FBT), but it was close to the "DJ/Producer and MC concept".
so i don't think it would set a trend if bishop works just with dre, or only with dre & scott.
but dre must really like bishop if the statement about the production of the 2nd album is true. cause i remember 50 cent saying in an interview with Julio G that dre would never produce a whole album for him( i know that a dre solo is different from a dre & scott collaboration but still). that's why i doubt that bishop's statement is true, because so far, dre hasn't done such things for aftermath projects ( with the exception of 2001 and detox). i wish he did do that though, like he did before he started aftermath.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 03:12:19 AM »
In light of the new XXL blog that has gotten all the angry hip-hop/Dre fans riled up, I made this post for some SERIOUS discussion on Dre's last album. Forget release dates and all the drama...what are you guys hoping Dre does to revitalize hip-hop like he promises to do?

We all know that beats really set the tone in terms of structure and sometimes content of songs. I think Dre's gonna emphasize the "structure" aspect of the music, and shift the paradigm away from three verses and a hook.

I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.

What I think Dre could be moving towards for the Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.
Detox,Scratch Magazine

it's funny that scratch magazine didn't mention the tracks we've mentioned, like don't get carried away, Don't Worry and Oh!. i wonder what other possible leftovers Detox tracks have the same structure as those three tracks( there may be a few more, released on soloalbums, but i can't think of any more tracks).

by the way, i was listening to Marsha Ambrosius' mixtape "Neo Soul is Dead The Chronic mixtape", and i noticed that her singing style sounds very similar to Jewell(death row); she's basically the Jewell of aftermath. i've heard Marsha Ambrosius on various aftermath( related) albums, but this is the first time that i noticed that she sounds similar to Jewell ( maybe it's because of the background singers on those projects).
so i guess she's going to play a similar role on Detox as Jewell did on The Chronic.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2008, 02:56:20 AM »
dre has set the standards so high people expect miracles and will never be happy

and yes dre's stuff if fairly simple, yet very complex. believe me if dre wanted to bring a 64 piece orchestra into the studio and put out an album it would be the most incredible shit you've ever heard. dre usually uses 2 or 3 instruments on individual tracks. add 60 or so other musicans and instruments and let dre direct and create parts for each instrument. he could make the most complex beat you've ever heard. but dre knows most fans don't want to hear that and although dre uses some orchestra instruments in his beats he probably won't go that far. they want to hear simplistic yet very original and complex top notch production.

For the last few years we have been building hundreds of instrumentals for Detox. They ranged from really sparse and simple beats to some of the craziest and most complex beats you have ever heard. We have all worked very hard together to create something truly original and groundbreaking. Picking which ones to actually use is easier said than done. We are striving for 100% live instrumental tracks built completely from scratch which takes a lot of work since we do some many of them before Dre wittles them down later on. Dre pushes us to dig deep and put our own ideas into the skeleton instrumentals we have made alongside him for Detox over the last couple of years. We are really pushing the envelope. In my opinion Dre has thrown out some incredible tracks that we and Dre have built together, but Dre is looking for something specific and if he doesn't hear it he will not use it. the dilema is how complex of tracks will the listening audience want to hear. Do they want orchestra like pieces or the tightly focused, yet simple beats you are used to from Dre. Ideally all of us and Dre want the most mindbending and complex original music experience ever heard on record. But will the audience be happy with that? The last thing we want to do is put out a "concept" album that loses people because it so different than what they are used to hearing. So thats been a big dilema. In the end i think you will hear elements of these complex beats but you won't hear the way they originally were created(those versions will go to the "Dr. Dre vault". At least that is the direction Dre has gone so far. I think the early tracks are as good as anything Dre has ever done - but it is still too early to tell how the final album will sound.

offcourse the expectations are a big issue. but as i've said before, disappointments are inevitable. but it's likely that dre fans will appreciate it over time.
i've noticed this with myself as well; for example, with a test, i expected a certain grade. the final results was only 0.5 point lower than my expectations, but i was still disappointed. but i looked at the test differently later, and then i was more satisfied with the results. so i guess we have a one sided view when looking at the results for the first time.

i don't think it matters too much who dre has as co-producers ( although dre had a great team for 2001), since it's dre who makes the beat structure.
with 2001 he and his team came with a different sound, but the structure was basically still dre  :laugh: not that it's a bad thing, but the thing is, as mellowman pointed out, how far should dre go with detox?
in the past few years i've seen a few different things from him; sometimes the structure was more simple than i'm used to from dre, and sometimes he was experimenting a bit, like on Oh! and Don't get carried away( not a major difference in structure, but slightly different than what he usually does).
and it's hard to speculate what tracks were meant for detox, but got put on other projects. i mean, in most cases, the artists could say that the track was meant for detox, to promote it for their album. so that's why you can't really tell what structure dre has in mind for detox.

^^^^^
Marsh mix-tape?
I have missed out on that one,so I need to check that one out. PM!
have you checked it already? cause i think it's amazing what she can do with her voice, and it's just a mixtape  ;) so i think she would be a great addition to detox.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2008, 06:10:07 AM »
i know it's one year old, and all the info is well known, but i thought it would be a good idea to post the link to the power 106 radio interview with Dr.Dre here:
http://power106.com/audioalbum/dre.aspx

The truth,as good example is when those new Star Wars movies.
People was expecting miracles,I mean MIRACLES.... the hype was crazy much like with Detox.
But what happent? People got dissapointed and was mad pissed,but how could you please 30 something fans (ehhh nerds  :laugh:).
Lucas made a movie for kids,not for old fucks (like me  :laugh:).
When I came out of the midnight screening I was shocked,it was the worst movie I had ever seen.  >:(
I went to see it again in the morning,it grew on me for everytime I went to see it.
Sure it´s still a average movie,not the masterpiece "we all" expected... but it´s not as bad as everybody makes it.
There´s no way around this    :P :P
yeah such a first impression for detox seems very possible. but then again, you could ask yourself, how important is a first impression, like you already pointed out.
the point you made about audience is interesting; while it seems very unlikely that dre will make a Chronic 2000 something album ( especially now that bishop is involved), it still bugs me how far dre is willing to go. i mean, at one point he stopped working on detox; he picked it again up later, and said in interviews, that you've got to give the fans what they want. while i think he had a good impression of what the "people" wanted for 2001, what does he think that the people want for detox this time?

Oh? That was Obie Trice right?
Listening to the more advantgarde Dre tracks like RC´s Fame from The Aftermath Compilation,
even some of the Busta tracks is a little out there like Legends of the fall offs.
Both tracks is a stroke of genius,simply amazing.  :o
Will tracks like these throw the (mainstream) fans off,probably will.....  :laugh:
but fuck it,this is what I want to hear.  :P
What many of Dre´s tracks have missed lately is the "cinamatic" sound,
but with tracks like Don't get carried away,Legends of the fall offs and Murder these murders
he´s in the right direction.
yeah Oh! is from Obie Trice's Cheers album.

i agree with you, but there are also recent productions that i don't really like. the whole area 51 thing around detox has a upside and downside for me; on one hand i like suprises, so in that perspective i think it's a good thing that they are keeping it quiet.
on the other hand, with so little information available, we are ( well i believe so, so correct me if i'm wrong) tend to base our expectations on what we do know/have ( for example, dre's recent productions).

And on another note did you notice Slim The Mobsters comment about working on a movie along with working on Detox?
where did you get that from? pm me about that.

by the way,
I think Dre should do like Kanye and Jay did; organize bunch of listening sessions for the press, so that all the written previews start hitting the net. Look how well that worked for this new Jay's album.
i'd really like this to happen for detox. i believe snoop recently did this for his upcoming album; while reviews are subjective, it's still a great promotion move imo.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
what point?
my bad, you didn't really make a point, but the part of the quote i was referring to inspired me for my post  :laugh:

while it seems very unlikely that dre will make a Chronic 2000 something album (especially now that Bishop is involved),
it still bugs me how far dre is willing to go.
How about the involvement of Eminem last time around?
The tracks he did with him before he dropped Chronic 2001 was far from "Gangster" or "Hip Hop" for that matter.
I mean, at one point he stopped working on detox; he picked it again up later,and said in interviews,
that you've got to give the fans what they want.
While i think he had a good impression of what the "people" wanted for Chronic 2001,
what does he think that the people want for detox this time?
That´s a hard question to answer,but as I said before I got the impression that the "people" want him to resurect Hip Hop.
...and on top of that he got all those Hip Hop cats in his ears these days.
Bishop and Busta is far from Gangster,pluss the cats they bring along them like Q-Tip (Busta brought him along on The Big Bang).
But remember Chronic 2001 wasn´t exactly gangster either it was a fine mix of Gangster,Hip Hop,Alternative and Pop.
So he covered it all without losing anyone along the ride.
yeah i agree that 2001 was a great mix of different styles, but what i was trying to say ( which was basically said by us before), is that the "gangsta" side still played a huge role on 2001. and for 2001 that was not a problem at all, but this is detox  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so i'd really hope he will give the "gangsta" style a smaller role on detox, like dre said he was planning to do back in 2004.
but maybe i shouldn't be so worried about that; as you pointed out, some of the people that dre works with aren't really gangsta rappers, neither are (some) of their affiliates.
and the question "how far" is impossible for us to answer offcourse  :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:09:23 PM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2008, 06:29:50 AM »
Trough PM´s me and Dre-Day has been discussing that the "I Dominate" track might be the first single for Detox.
Here´s why;
-First what is Bishop Lamont dominating?
-Bishop said there will be annoncement VERY SOON! in one of his last interviews. (Dre-Day find this  ;))
-The annocement might come on Dre´s birthday.....
-+ Nima said Detox is coming very,very soon. Nima might have some "exclusive" info,yet to be leaked  :D?

So let´s see how this plays out  :D :D

yeah it's just a theory, but remember this:
Dubcnn: As far as “The Reformation” is concerned, you’re going to do a video for the first single soon. Do you want to tell us anything about that?

We’re going to be going somewhere real exotic. Thanks Dre! We’re gonna be having a ball and doing something real stupid, doing something real fresh, real fun for the West Coast. [It’s] not the typical “I’m in the parking lot, I’m in front of a liquor store.” You know what I’m sayin’? That shit is pretty much played! “I’ve got a graffiti backdrop! I’m hood!” I’m 29 by the time you see this, so I ain’t no little kid. We’ve got to do things on a classier level, on a grown man level, and still be big kids and be foolish. So you’re going to enjoy it! I’m gonna leave it alone, but just to let you know, the song is called “I Dominate.” That’s what we’re going to do. We’re gonna dominate the charts, we’re gonna dominate hip-hop. You’ll see!
so like chad said, how is he going to dominate the charts when he relatively unknown to the mainstream? a dre single could help, but the best promotion you can have is to be introduced by dre on detox. the reformation might still drop before detox, but usually dre introduces somebody before releasing their soloalbum ( snoop dogg, hittman).
Eminem was an exception, but i guess that was because of interscope, and the fact that some "old" material was reused; they really want to put an album out fast.

by the way, chad, you mixed up bishop with Dawaun Parker, look:

Dubcnn: So as we look to the future, one question remains. Can fans expect to hear Detox within the next twelve months?

(Laughs) Ah, twelve months? I don't know. (Laughs) I – I think that's a long time! A year from now? I can't – I wouldn't see why it would be that long! (Laughs) I – I think there will be an announcement or something will be said soon.

dre's birthday comes to mind; last year he got interviewed by power106 on his birthday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:33:41 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »

I hated Onyx and their hit Slam.... their screaming was hella annoying.  :P :P
After Tanji brought the album up a year ago that the album was done in
alter ego characthers like Dre had (has?) planned(s?) to. (see quote below)
I was interested in checking this album out,boy was I in for a suprise.....  :o :o
The albums best cuts is hella dope,damn I hope Dre still will go trough with his original plans.
I posted three tracks from the album so you can get an idea how the story is going and how Detox could play out.

In case you have missed Dre original plan for Detox;
MTV
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml
Dr.Dre;
"I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore,so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record trough a characther's eyes,"
Dre said,
"And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a characther,so it's basically going to a hip hop musical"

well the hints we got from the people close to dre confirmed that detox is still a concept album (for those who haven't seen the hints, check other serious detox topic http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=169127;)

it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't; i mean how else would dre be able to put all those different artists on detox and not make it a compilation?

all those people can be characters, and some will obviously get bigger roles than others.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't; i mean how else would dre be able to put all those different artists on detox and not make it a compilation?
all those people can be characters, and some will obviously get bigger roles than others.

Yep just check how briliant you can do a posse cut with alot of
features without making it sound like you just threw a bunch of cats on a track;
Sticky Fingaz; Black trash; The Autobiography of Kirk Jones

09 - State Vs Kirk Jones.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?ignyczgdxaj

^^^^All the cats featured plays a alter ego characther on the track... genius!!!! ^^^

yeah, that was put together well indeed  ;)

Dre has some great writers on his team, so it sure looks promising  :)

guilty conscience had characters for example, but it was just for one song.

anyway, whatever the story is gonna be like, RBX won't play the devil, that's for sure  :laugh:
in Ronin Ro's book, have gun will travel, RBX was quoted from an interview, saying that he didn't want to play the devil on murder was the case, since it went against his principles  :firedevil:

D-Reborn

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Death is certain, life is not
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »
i'm not expectin anything close to the chronic or 2001

8) 8) 8)