Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 15999 times)

John Doe

• Lil Geezy
  • Twitter.com/JohnDOEside
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
i just hope the shit comes out. it'll be a dope album regardless just gotta release it

Hittman2001

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
I can't believe they used Mellowman's posts in that book and called him Mel Man....and we all know he isn't Mel Man

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »
Haven't been able to read everything in this thread, but here are some of my thoughts -

Who's going to be on the album-
Even though Dre has said everyone he's worked with will be on it, I would personally prefer if he did what he did with the original Chronic and have people who weren't well known to the public. Snoop only had a buzz off Deep Cover, and then Kurupt, Daz, RBX, Rage, Nate were all new and they all blew up on that album and it was fresh because people hadn't heard anything from them before.
So personally I'd like to see all Dre's new guys and none of the old guys, ie. Bishop, Stat Quo, Joell Ortiz (is he still on the label?), etc and NOT Em, snoop, 50, busta, etc - it'd be doper in my opinion to be hearing from all the newer guys and keep the sound really fresh that way (especially to the general public who haven't really heard bishop, stat, etc)

The concept -
I've got a feeling that it'll be hard for Dre to keep a concept together, though he will probably be able to just get everyone to write about similar subjects. The hard part about doing a story or something where it all ties together very tightly is that he makes loads of tracks and replaces old ones as new ones are made which are better, and he does the same thing with rhymes. So if every rapper was a character in a story for instance, then he may have a verse by someone that sounds dope, but then something doper is written and it'd replace the old verse - so the structure and tight theme would fall apart. Though if he just says, ok, write about something positive then the general theme could have a concept, but I really don't think we'll see something like a album that fits to a movie, or something with a detailed story, as his way of making things perfect makes that almost impossible because it would break any intricate conceptual structure

The sound -
Again, I don't think he'll let the concept dictate the sound, he will just go for the dopest shit possible, so if there is a concept where the beat changes with each rapper, that just may not sound that dope when put into practice, so he'll scrap any idea that makes the album not actually sound as good, even if it's a dope concept
As far as whether it's a new sound completely or like the stuff he's being doing recently, I'm guessing it'll probably be just very, very dope beats but in the style he's been doing recently, sparse and hard, with a distinct melody in there somewhere. If it is completely different (eg lush orchestral tracks or whatever), then he's not shown any signs of this in any other tracks... it's possible it'll sound different, but I believe there is some truth to him giving away old Detox beats to other people. He obviously thinks the style he's been doing for ages is really good, or he wouldn't keep doing it, and so I think he'll just be keeping the best sort of beats in that style

Conclusion-
So overall I think the album will be just 12 or so of the dopest beats he's made over quite a long period of time, probably similar to beats he's been doing recently, maybe a bit different, but nothing completely off the wall. With the rapping he'll just go for the best verses people have given him, regardless of whether they completely fit the concept, because he will always pick how it sounds first rather than how good it is theoretically. There will probably be some sort of connecting theme, like Detoxing, but it will be loose rather than a really intricate concept - sound will win over concept

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »
I think Dre should showcase some new West talent

Bishop
Jay Rock
Ya Boy
Game
Crooked

hopefully give these dudes some exposure so we can be a factor again 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »

Bishop
Jay Rock
Ya Boy
Game
Crooked

Gotti, you have to realise that westcoast rap music will never get similar success as it had in the 90's; at least not with the style gangster rap(sure you could argue whether Detox will still be a gangster rap album, but that's another story).
so whether (westcoast) rap artists will be able to benefit from the Detox release, really depends on the impact of Detox on the industry.

Even though Dre has said everyone he's worked with will be on it, I would personally prefer if he did what he did with the original Chronic and have people who weren't well known to the public. Snoop only had a buzz off Deep Cover, and then Kurupt, Daz, RBX, Rage, Nate were all new and they all blew up on that album and it was fresh because people hadn't heard anything from them before.
So personally I'd like to see all Dre's new guys and none of the old guys, ie. Bishop, Stat Quo, Joell Ortiz (is he still on the label?), etc and NOT Em, snoop, 50, busta, etc - it'd be doper in my opinion to be hearing from all the newer guys and keep the sound really fresh that way (especially to the general public who haven't really heard bishop, stat, etc)
so i assume that you didn't like the formula dre used for 2001 as fas as guest features: providing a mix of upcoming talents and established artists?
i actually liked that formula, but i see your point. you have to realise that this is dre's final album though.

The concept -
I've got a feeling that it'll be hard for Dre to keep a concept together, though he will probably be able to just get everyone to write about similar subjects. The hard part about doing a story or something where it all ties together very tightly is that he makes loads of tracks and replaces old ones as new ones are made which are better, and he does the same thing with rhymes. So if every rapper was a character in a story for instance, then he may have a verse by someone that sounds dope, but then something doper is written and it'd replace the old verse - so the structure and tight theme would fall apart. Though if he just says, ok, write about something positive then the general theme could have a concept, but I really don't think we'll see something like a album that fits to a movie, or something with a detailed story, as his way of making things perfect makes that almost impossible because it would break any intricate conceptual structure

The sound -
Again, I don't think he'll let the concept dictate the sound, he will just go for the dopest shit possible, so if there is a concept where the beat changes with each rapper, that just may not sound that dope when put into practice, so he'll scrap any idea that makes the album not actually sound as good, even if it's a dope concept
As far as whether it's a new sound completely or like the stuff he's being doing recently, I'm guessing it'll probably be just very, very dope beats but in the style he's been doing recently, sparse and hard, with a distinct melody in there somewhere. If it is completely different (eg lush orchestral tracks or whatever), then he's not shown any signs of this in any other tracks... it's possible it'll sound different, but I believe there is some truth to him giving away old Detox beats to other people. He obviously thinks the style he's been doing for ages is really good, or he wouldn't keep doing it, and so I think he'll just be keeping the best sort of beats in that style

Conclusion-
So overall I think the album will be just 12 or so of the dopest beats he's made over quite a long period of time, probably similar to beats he's been doing recently, maybe a bit different, but nothing completely off the wall. With the rapping he'll just go for the best verses people have given him, regardless of whether they completely fit the concept, because he will always pick how it sounds first rather than how good it is theoretically. There will probably be some sort of connecting theme, like Detoxing, but it will be loose rather than a really intricate concept - sound will win over concept

i see that you haven't got a proper view of what Detox is going to be like yet, so perhaps you could read some more from this topic sometime: http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=169127  ;)

i see your point of how dre usually works, but, again, you have to realise that this is Dre's last album, so it's going to be different this time.

remember that dre has some great storytellers on his team, like The D.O.C. and Eminem so i don't see why he couldn't come up with a concept album.
offcourse it's not going to be easy to fit all those artists in the story, but if they're just going to be a character it should be possible.
besides, dre's very good at making the instrumentals attach to a certain artist, so if any producer can pull off making some sort of hiphop musical, it's dre.

thanks for putting real effort in your first post for this topic UCC, hopefully you'll come up with more  8)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:59:39 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »
so i assume that you didn't like the formula dre used for 2001 as fas as guest features: providing a mix of upcoming talents and established artists?
i actually liked that formula, but i see your point. you have to realise that this is dre's final album though.

Yeah, I liked it - I mean I'm not going to complain if Em, 50, Snoop, Busta, etc etc are all on there spitting incredibly hot verses! But I'd also like to see a fresh start, though perhaps he doesn't have enough new artists to carry it off and also it will hugely help sales if Em, 50, etc are on there

i see your point of how dre usually works, but, again, you have to realise that this is Dre's last album, so it's going to be different this time.

remember that dre has some great storytellers on his team, like The D.O.C. and Eminem so i don't see why he couldn't come up with a concept album.
offcourse it's not going to be easy to fit all those artists in the story, but if they're just going to be a character it should be possible.
besides, dre's very good at making the instrumentals attach to a certain artist, so if any producer can pull off making some sort of hiphop musical, it's dre.

I understand that he's trying to do more, but I've got a strong feeling it will come down to choosing just the dopest beats and rhymes. If I'm wrong then I hope he's managed to pull off both having hot music AND a dope concept. I just have the feeling that he's probably going to have to make a choice and if he does then he'll lose the concept, as I'm sure as hell he want to lose the amazingness of the music

Like he may find with all the verses and beats he's got he can put together 2 albums - one is an album with a really awesome concept joining the whole thing, but with some just 'ok' verses and beats in there, OR he has the parts to put together an album with 100% amazing beats and 100% amazing sounding verses. I'd prefer the second album, that just sounds the best and I think that's what he'll go for

Although, maybe you're right, I guess he could work on beats and lyrics separately and even if he does change the beats up all the way until the end, he can still get people in to spit the same verses on the newer, better beats he's come up with. If the DOC, Em, Bishop, etc came up with a great story that worked together, then they could just keep tweaking it, and the other rappers on the album would just spit the lyrics that his team has written for the album

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »

Yeah, I liked it - I mean I'm not going to complain if Em, 50, Snoop, Busta, etc etc are all on there spitting incredibly hot verses! But I'd also like to see a fresh start, though perhaps he doesn't have enough new artists to carry it off and also it will hugely help sales if Em, 50, etc are on there
yeah i think it's inevitable that the big names will be used to boost sales  :P
personally i'm not that excited either about 50 cent being on there and i wouldn't mind if Snoop wasn't on Detox at all ( probably going to catch heat for this, but fuck it; i liked his involvement on 2001, but this is 2008 and i feel that the snoop formula has run dry).

but 2001 didn't have any wack singles, so perhaps the outcome for the Detox singles won't be that bad ( somehow i really doubt that dre will just pick 3 or 4 singles for Detox by the way).
i doubt that Bishop Lamont will be featured on Detox as much as Hittman was on 2001, but he will certainly be featured on there a lot more than some of the big names.
Joel Ortiz is not on aftermath anymore by the way, but that doesn't have to mean that he won't be featured on Detox.

i do hope that there will be some fresh talent on there that i haven't heard of before, just like 2001 had.

I understand that he's trying to do more, but I've got a strong feeling it will come down to choosing just the dopest beats and rhymes. If I'm wrong then I hope he's managed to pull off both having hot music AND a dope concept. I just have the feeling that he's probably going to have to make a choice and if he does then he'll lose the concept, as I'm sure as hell he want to lose the amazingness of the music

Like he may find with all the verses and beats he's got he can put together 2 albums - one is an album with a really awesome concept joining the whole thing, but with some just 'ok' verses and beats in there, OR he has the parts to put together an album with 100% amazing beats and 100% amazing sounding verses. I'd prefer the second album, that just sounds the best and I think that's what he'll go for

Although, maybe you're right, I guess he could work on beats and lyrics separately and even if he does change the beats up all the way until the end, he can still get people in to spit the same verses on the newer, better beats he's come up with. If the DOC, Em, Bishop, etc came up with a great story that worked together, then they could just keep tweaking it, and the other rappers on the album would just spit the lyrics that his team has written for the album

don't get me wrong, i also have doubts whether dre is able to pull it off, but i think he has the tools to make it happen.
based on the information of Detox that's available, Dre's camp is striving to make a concept album. based on the interviews with the D.O.C. i get the idea that he's a lot more involved than he was with 2001, which is definately a good thing if they want to make a concept album.
i'm not 100% sure how i should interpret the concept idea, but it could be just lyricwise, or both lyricwise and productionwise.
not every track will sound the same, but will still have a signature sound and fit the certain part of the story( the Chronic and Doggystyle were basically concept albums productionwise; not every track sounds the same but each track has the g-funk sound).

PS: check out the topic i linked to in my previous. i think there is a lot of interesting stuff that you didn't know before and will definately help getting a more clear view of what Detox is going to be like. yes the topic is huge, but there is no time limit  ;)
keep up the good work by the way!  :)

D~Nice

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
Prince Paul had a album a while back, I can't remember the name of it. But it played out like a movie. Each track seamlessly told a story and the next track continued it. But to the average listener it would sound like different tracks. Something like that centered around the whole Detox theme would be dope.

kingston

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
i hope it come out one day.. :-\

Mister Lepht

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
48 laws of power...

D~Nice

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
Prince Paul had a album a while back, I can't remember the name of it. But it played out like a movie. Each track seamlessly told a story and the next track continued it. But to the average listener it would sound like different tracks. Something like that centered around the whole Detox theme would be dope.

A Prince Among Thieves
http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Among-Thieves-Paul/dp/B00000HZVC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205698163&sr=8-1

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
The concept album has a long history in rock & roll , with the Who's Tommy being by far the most successful (by virtue of its turns on the big screen and Broadway, respectively). Hip-hop has had a few interesting (Kool Keith's Sex Style) and not-so-interesting (RZA's Bobby Digital in Stereo) goes at the form, but not until Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves has the genre had a true epic of its own to claim. The album, a cynical story of two friends that turn into rivals over a record deal, is solid on every level, with a full story, great music, and a strong cast. The disc is populated by a bevy of characters, many played by solid veterans--Chris Rock and De La Soul as junkies, Everlast as a crooked cop, Biz Markie and Special Ed as enforcers for Chubb Rock's gangsta don, and Big Daddy Kane as a pimp--but features a pair of talented newcomers (Sha and Breeze) as the leads. Sha and Breeze are dynamic, and they show up some of the bigger stars here--though only a couple of the characters disappoint (most surprising of which is Kool Keith's Crazy Lou). Ultimately, it's a hell of a record, with Breeze, Chubb Rock, Big Daddy Kane, Heroine, De La Soul, Xzibit, Brand Nubian's Sadat X, and Kid Creole taking best advantage of the killer tracks Paul serves up for them. --Randy Silver

Spin
A Prince Among Thieves could be heard as the renaissance of hip-hop's psychedelic edge.... [T]his cartoon panoply of sound never loses a powerful sense of cumulative derangement.

Greatest Concept Album Ever

I put it out there.
This has got to be the great and most complex and complete concept album ever. It is a album that could be made into a movie easily and somewhat is if you ever saw the music video for the album.
The ablum tells the story of Tariq, who is trying to get a record contract and needs to make some money to finish up his tracks and ...well, I don't want to give it away.

This album also has great appearances by: Sadat X, De La Soul, Kool Keith, Xzibit, Big Daddy Kane, Chubb Rock, Everlast, Biz Markie, Chris Rock, and Rza.

And as always Prince Paul put several skits throughout the album.
(Check out Tariq's mom the end of track #3 -- it's hilarious). Chris Rock also does a funny skit as a crack head.
There also is a great remake of the Ice Cube song "Steady Mobbin'" (off the Death Certificate) called "Steady Slobbin'"

This is a true classic hiphop album.

A True Concept Album among those that aren't,

As far as I know, there has never been a hip-hop album like A Prince Among Thieves and i don't know if there ever will be. But to tell you the truth, i really hope there are. The idea of having whole hip-hop albums that tell a single story in a cinematic way could be its own sub-genre and really make for interesting listens.
The story is in a nutshell about the rise and fall of a would be MC named Tariq and his jealous friend True who is a drug dealer. This adventure takes you all over the place including jail and you end up meeting all kinds of interesting characters. The story is mesmerizing and the first time you put it on, you can't turn it off.
This whole thing is the brainchild of the genius producer Prince Paul, who hasn't done anything i haven't enjoyed from De La Soul to MC Paul Barman to Handsome Boy Modeling School. This is probably his definitive statement as an artist as he has masterfully orchestrated an epic hip-hop tale with lots of colorful guest stars (Big Daddy Kane, Kool Keith, De La Soul, Chris Rock) that manages to be powerful, bangin', funny, creative, and just all around enjoyable.
The way that this album is like an opera is that there are the songs (like the arias) and sandwiched in between are little intros with beats (like the recitative).
This album is really good, although the one part i usually skip is the love song by Newkirk (track 24) because after a few listens that track gets old and drags on too long. I think probably the song that works best as part of the story and as a concept is "The Men In Blue" featuring Everlast which has every line making a statement. Songs like "Steady Slobbin'" and the skit with Chris Rock are hilarious. There are some great moments like when True and Tariq are listening to Tariq's beat in the car and they both take turns rhyming over it.
This album is a huge achievement in the world of hip-hop and further cements Prince Paul's genius and should pave the way for more hip-hop concept albums and just more creativity in hip-hop period.

CLASSIC HIP-HOP

Anyone who knows even a little about hip-hop knows that storytelling has been central to hip hop music almost since its inception. Hip-hop fans will also recognize that concept albums are nothing new to the world of hip-hop (Ice Cube's "Death Certificate" immediately comes to mind, though there are countless others that lay claim to the status of concept album). It should also be noted that the use of skits on hip-hop albums is commonplace, if not ubiquitous. This being said, Prince Paul's "A Prince Among Thieves" is not only a bonafide hip-hop album that fits neatly into the tradition, it also redefined the genre. The thing that sets Prince Paul's masterpiece apart from the rest is its consistency in theme, tone and character. Over the course of this album, we see the main character travel through the flipside of the American Dream - the ghetto. As the album chronicles the main character's struggles to garner enough money to present a demo for a record deal, we see Prince Paul production technique in constant flux, embracing a different genre of hip-hop with every turn. From hardcore gangsta posturing to laid-back player/pimp macking to old school freestyle flava, the music fits the storyline flawlessly. The beats are fresh, the story is compelling and the rhymes are simply second to none. With a little help from several of underground hip-hop's luminaries (both past and present) Prince Paul has produced a hip-hop masterpiece on par with the Who's "Tommy." "Prince Among Thieves" tells the story of youth at a crossroads, of a culture on the brink, of life at its most crucial moment. It's patchwork of genre and subject-matter flows effortlessly together into a narrative so strong that only the most detached listener will not be able to relate to the struggles of the main character. In today's culture of shrinking attention spans, this album may be a challenge to most, but a careful listen reveals some insights that we all can learn from. I'll tell you one thing - after listening to the final, self-titled track, I will never listen to a "Dead Homies" song the same way even again. Never. Buy this one. It's a true classic.

I have heard nothing but good things about this album from friends,
but never got my ass to listen to it or buy a copy myself.
So I´m requesting a Hook up  ;),I also would like someone to hook up:
Tommy (1969 Original Concept Album)

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential recording
Tommy had the dubious distinction of being the first-ever rock opera; however, it's none the worse for that, Ken Russell's adaptation notwithstanding. Due largely to Pete Townshend's skill as a songwriter and composer, Tommy tells a coherent story and includes quality rock and roll at the same time, an impressive feat by itself. While surprisingly more linear than the later Quadrophenia, Tommy boasts several songs that stand up well on their own, including the classic "Pinball Wizard," "The Acid Queen," "I'm Free," and "Sally Simpson." Much of the rest doesn't make much sense lyrically unless you listen to the entire album, but you'll probably want to do that anyway, preferably with the lights low and the stereo cranked. --Genevieve Williams

Thanks for that Chad, I have the album just could not remember the name of it.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »

Bishop
Jay Rock
Ya Boy
Game
Crooked

Gotti, you have to realise that westcoast rap music will never get similar success as it had in the 90's; at least not with the style gangster rap(sure you could argue whether Detox will still be a gangster rap album, but that's another story).
so whether (westcoast) rap artists will be able to benefit from the Detox release, really depends on the impact of Detox on the industry.

true

I just want Dre to get the best new west rappers of the West Coast on it and these to me are the best

If anybody can get us going back again its Dre 8)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »
Conclusion-
There will probably be some sort of connecting theme, like Detoxing,
but it will be loose rather than a really intricate concept - sound will win over concept

Then it´s going to be like Chronic 2001,it has a connecting theme going through it.

I hope it's more like the original Chronic or Doggystyle - only having 12 tracks is a great sign in my opinion. I'd like it to have the same thing as Doggystyle where all the tracks are mixed and constructed in a similar style, they have the same style drums, and multiple layers in each track, although each track is so unique within that style, and all the tracks stand out from each other. I liked 2001, but I thought it had way too many tracks and the good verses were spread too thin over it, if he'd trimmed that down to 12 tracks and put nothing but dope verses over them I think it'd have been ever better

To me, Doggystyle is actually more of a Dr Dre album, but with Snoop on it. Snoop was incredible on it, but if you think about it you could have put anyone half decent on those beats and it'd still been amazing. It's kind of like the second version of the Chronic, just with a bit more Snoop on it and no Dre verses. The only concept I'm concerned with for Detox is the idea of having 12 unbelievably dope beats with nothing but dope verses across them, and hopefully having a common production style over them while still making them all stand out. I couldn't really care less what they rap about, Detoxing, guns, bitches, science, kittens, trees, carrots - whatever, just make sure that shit is the hottest sounding shit we ever heard (ie Doggystyle part 2)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2008, 01:36:08 AM »
Conclusion-
There will probably be some sort of connecting theme, like Detoxing,
but it will be loose rather than a really intricate concept - sound will win over concept

Then it´s going to be like Chronic 2001,it has a connecting theme going through it.

I hope it's more like the original Chronic or Doggystyle - only having 12 tracks is a great sign in my opinion. I'd like it to have the same thing as Doggystyle where all the tracks are mixed and constructed in a similar style, they have the same style drums, and multiple layers in each track, although each track is so unique within that style, and all the tracks stand out from each other. I liked 2001, but I thought it had way too many tracks and the good verses were spread too thin over it, if he'd trimmed that down to 12 tracks and put nothing but dope verses over them I think it'd have been ever better

To me, Doggystyle is actually more of a Dr Dre album, but with Snoop on it. Snoop was incredible on it, but if you think about it you could have put anyone half decent on those beats and it'd still been amazing. It's kind of like the second version of the Chronic, just with a bit more Snoop on it and no Dre verses. The only concept I'm concerned with for Detox is the idea of having 12 unbelievably dope beats with nothing but dope verses across them, and hopefully having a common production style over them while still making them all stand out. I couldn't really care less what they rap about, Detoxing, guns, bitches, science, kittens, trees, carrots - whatever, just make sure that shit is the hottest sounding shit we ever heard (ie Doggystyle part 2)

i can see why you don't mind if Dre makes a Chronic 3, but i just disagree with that.
it's not that i would discredit a chronic 3 in general, it's just that this is Dre's last album, he will never make another soloalbum after that.
that's why i want more than just an album with a "theme" like 2001 had. that doesn't mean that i think that Detox shouldn't be a gangster rap album; i just want him to update his formula.
that's why i like the idea of a concept album; it gives the feeling of a complete package to me  :)
Helter Skelter is basically a conceptalbum; it's far from perfect but i like how it was put together.

as far as the direction of the production of Detox; i think Dre has given hints of the sound of Detox in his recent productions, but not the actual production structure.
as discussed in this topic before;if you look at the production of the past few years, sometimes he kept it simple and sometimes he experimented a little ( like on Oh! from the Obie Trice - Cheers album and on Don't get carried away from The Big Bang by Busta Rhymes; notice how a different instrument is attached to each performer).

HEC

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:49 AM »
Personally I would love to have a track with Cube and Ren on it, even though I doubt this will happen since Dre hasn't talked to Cube in years but Cube said a few months ago that he would be down if Dre gave him the call