Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 15998 times)

gangstarapfan

Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS HAS TAKEN SO LONG AND STILL NO RELEASE DATE?

lost_assassin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Personally I would love to have a track with Cube and Ren on it, even though I doubt this will happen

i expect bishop in 3 songs, em on 2, fifty helpin out on at least two hooks, bring nate dogg and kokane for some hooks as well. snoop better be on this motherfucka!, i'd like to see Ras kass in there, bun b, jadakiss, and his aftermath rosters of producers and artists( khalil, busta, focus, gage, eve, ) ohhh and XZIBIT! its been to long man!!
Cowards Only Wanna Act Hard When Its Convenient-Planet Asia(9mm)

HEC

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2008, 07:50:56 AM »
As far as the guests on the album  since this is Dre's final record I think it would be fitting to have some of the old Death Row inmates along with the new Aftermath cats. Specifically Snoop. Kurupt, RBX, Rage, would love to see Ren and Cube but I understand that is pretty much not happening so I am fine with that. Would also like to see Daz on at track as well for my personal perspective but that is not happening IMO either so I am fine with the four I have mentioned. About DOC I would not mind at all if he had some input here, maybe do a hook or something it would fit in well with a dark track. I agree about not having an overload of these old Inmates and focus on the new, Bishop specifically but bascially everybody on the label, would rather not have 50 on it but I can do with a track with him as well, maybe he will be motivated and spit something similar to his first album. Bishop should be the "Hittman" of "Detox" and should be the main focus since he is versatile and can spit lyrical though provoking rhymes much as Hitman was a lyricist on "2001". The album itself does NOT have to have a theme for me, but if Dre goes that way it is fine either way. I understand "2001" had a theme so it might be better to continue on that path but again for me it doesnt matter I will be satisfied either way. Does it have to be a "Gangsta album" well I am a gangsta rap fan but also a fan of good music and lets not forget that music is a form of ART but also a form of ENTERTAINMENT and that is exactly what "gangsta rap" is. Alot of people think at Dre's age 43 or whatever that he should not talk the "gangsta shit" but in reality he can speak on whatever like Chad said eailier "fuck what subgenres rappers belong to", if its dope its dope. I'll be back with more thoughts later in the weekend

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »
Does it have to be a "Gangsta album" well I am a gangsta rap fan but also a fan of good music and lets not forget that music is a form of ART but also a form of ENTERTAINMENT and that is exactly what "gangsta rap" is. Alot of people think at Dre's age 43 or whatever that he should not talk the "gangsta shit" but in reality he can speak on whatever like Chad said eailier "fuck what subgenres rappers belong to", if its dope its dope.
well i guess that's what seperates the boys from the men  ;)

As far as the guests on the album  since this is Dre's final record I think it would be fitting to have some of the old Death Row inmates along with the new Aftermath cats. Specifically Snoop. Kurupt, RBX, Rage, would love to see Ren and Cube but I understand that is pretty much not happening so I am fine with that. Would also like to see Daz on at track as well for my personal perspective but that is not happening IMO either so I am fine with the four I have mentioned. About DOC I would not mind at all if he had some input here, maybe do a hook or something it would fit in well with a dark track. I agree about not having an overload of these old Inmates and focus on the new, Bishop specifically but bascially everybody on the label, would rather not have 50 on it but I can do with a track with him as well, maybe he will be motivated and spit something similar to his first album. Bishop should be the "Hittman" of "Detox" and should be the main focus since he is versatile and can spit lyrical though provoking rhymes much as Hitman was a lyricist on "2001". The album itself does NOT have to have a theme for me, but if Dre goes that way it is fine either way. I understand "2001" had a theme so it might be better to continue on that path but again for me it doesnt matter I will be satisfied either way.
i think Cube's comments from the interview which you are referring to about dre were taken out of context, as he was much more positive in an other interview.
i can see why you and Chad doubt that Cube and Ren will perform on a dre track for Detox, but i'm quite sure they'll reunite at least one more time.

as far as the other guest features; i pretty much agree with you; like i said before, i thought 2001 had a great mix of new and already established artists.
i'm not sure about Daz; i wouldn't mind a Dogg pound track, but a lot of things have changed since 1992, so i'm not sure if Daz is "ready" for Detox  :P

about the D.O.C.; not sure if you heard the latest news, but he will write his whole next album and let others perform  :-\
that doesn't have to mean that he won't perform on Detox either, but i doubt he'll drop a verse since he trusts Dre a lot.

that would really be a shame imo, as they haven't really tried it yet with the "new" voice. as you can hear on Deuce and Helter Skelter it's definately worth a shot.

as a dre fan i know why you probably won't be disappointed with the final product, but try to put yourself in the position of a critic a little more   ;) this is his 3rd solo effort, it will be his last album and it's 2008.
indeed, you and Chad made good points about subgenre's.
looking forward to read what you got planned for this topic by the way  8)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:39:05 PM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

HEC

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
Does it have to be a "Gangsta album" well I am a gangsta rap fan but also a fan of good music and lets not forget that music is a form of ART but also a form of ENTERTAINMENT and that is exactly what "gangsta rap" is. Alot of people think at Dre's age 43 or whatever that he should not talk the "gangsta shit" but in reality he can speak on whatever like Chad said eailier "fuck what subgenres rappers belong to", if its dope its dope.
well i guess that's what seperates the boys from the men  ;)

As far as the guests on the album  since this is Dre's final record I think it would be fitting to have some of the old Death Row inmates along with the new Aftermath cats. Specifically Snoop. Kurupt, RBX, Rage, would love to see Ren and Cube but I understand that is pretty much not happening so I am fine with that. Would also like to see Daz on at track as well for my personal perspective but that is not happening IMO either so I am fine with the four I have mentioned. About DOC I would not mind at all if he had some input here, maybe do a hook or something it would fit in well with a dark track. I agree about not having an overload of these old Inmates and focus on the new, Bishop specifically but bascially everybody on the label, would rather not have 50 on it but I can do with a track with him as well, maybe he will be motivated and spit something similar to his first album. Bishop should be the "Hittman" of "Detox" and should be the main focus since he is versatile and can spit lyrical though provoking rhymes much as Hitman was a lyricist on "2001". The album itself does NOT have to have a theme for me, but if Dre goes that way it is fine either way. I understand "2001" had a theme so it might be better to continue on that path but again for me it doesnt matter I will be satisfied either way.
i think Cube's comments from the interview which you are referring to about dre were taken out of context, as he was much more positive in an other interview.
i can see why you and Chad doubt that Cube and Ren will perform on a dre track for Detox, but i'm quite sure they'll reunite at least one more time.

as far as the other guest features; i pretty much agree with you; like i said before, i thought 2001 had a great mix of new and already established artists.
i'm not sure about Daz; i wouldn't mind a Dogg pound track, but a lot of things have changed since 1992, so i'm not sure if Daz is "ready" for Detox  :P

about the D.O.C.; not sure if you heard the latest news, but he will write his whole next album and let others perform  :-\
that doesn't have to mean that he won't perform on Detox either, but i doubt he'll drop a verse since he trusts Dre a lot.

that would really be a shame imo, as they haven't really tried it yet with the "new" voice. as you can hear on Deuce and Helter Skelter it's definately worth a shot.

as a dre fan i know why you probably won't be disappointed with the final product, but try to put yourself in the position of a critic a little more   ;) this is his 3rd solo effort, it will be his last album and it's 2008.
indeed, you and Chad made good points about subgenre's.
looking forward to read what you got planned for this topic by the way  8)

about Daz I think that if he gets someone like Bad Azz to write his verse I think it would be great, Daz has been known to recycle his verses numerous times so to make sure that the verse is not something he said back in his last album I think that would be a good idea, besides Bad Azz has written for both him and Snoop and he is a very underrated lyricist. Its hard for me to seperate the fan in me and the critical side because I am pretty much on the postitive when it comes to an album, but I think that Dre is the biggest critic when it comes to his own work so if something is less than dope in his mind he will either work on it again or throw it away, I can't see anything less than dope on "Detox" its not going to be a rushed product, believe it or not "Doggystyle" was rushed into stores because Suge wanted it in time for the Thanksgiving holiday week and Dre was only finished with the first half of the album. Thats when all the rumors started that Daz and others produced the second half of Doggystyle, what happened was Dre heard the tracks but was not happy with them and went in the studio to put the final touches on them like a great producer does and there you go Classic album. Doggystyle was made in less than a year and look how it turned out, could not have been any better. But back to "Detox" I think that as the years have gone by and Dre has seen the direction music has been going he does not want to have something that you bump for a couple of months and get tired of it, thats what I wanted to say is lacking these days is replay value. "2001" was in constant rotation for at least a year and as the years went by since its release numerous other songs have sampled "XXplosive", "Next Episode", "Whats The Difference" so you know it was highly regarded. Another thing that albums these days have are too many tracks on them, as long as they are dope I don't care but the reality is rarely will you have a 21 track album in which all songs are dope, if anybody can do it Dre can but I would prefer for it to be closer to 16 or 17 tracks at the most, now a lot of people might say that you wait almost 10 years and you only get 16 songs well 16 is plenty good, The Chronic had around that amount and it was perfect, "2001" the only problem I had with the album were that I didn't feel a couple of the skits, I thought they took away from it, I would also prefer the skits be kept to a minimum unless the DOC is involved and you get a hilarious one because he is great with those. I'll be back with more later...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2008, 07:09:55 AM »
I think that as the years have gone by and Dre has seen the direction music has been going he does not want to have something that you bump for a couple of months and get tired of it, thats what I wanted to say is lacking these days is replay value. "2001" was in constant rotation for at least a year and as the years went by since its release numerous other songs have sampled "XXplosive", "Next Episode", "Whats The Difference" so you know it was highly regarded. Another thing that albums these days have are too many tracks on them, as long as they are dope I don't care but the reality is rarely will you have a 21 track album in which all songs are dope, if anybody can do it Dre can but I would prefer for it to be closer to 16 or 17 tracks at the most, now a lot of people might say that you wait almost 10 years and you only get 16 songs well 16 is plenty good, The Chronic had around that amount and it was perfect, "2001" the only problem I had with the album were that I didn't feel a couple of the skits, I thought they took away from it, I would also prefer the skits be kept to a minimum unless the DOC is involved and you get a hilarious one because he is great with those. I'll be back with more later...
good point about replay value; that's why i said that a chronic 3 album is not good enough for a final Dre album.

but try to go a little further if you can; i marked a lot of good points/comments in black in my topic, so check my signature to see the topic and try to find things to pick up on, as i know that you can pull it off  ;)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2008, 07:32:02 AM »
believe it or not "Doggystyle" was rushed into stores because Suge wanted it in time for the Thanksgiving holiday week and Dre was only finished with the first half of the album. Thats when all the rumors started that Daz and others produced the second half of Doggystyle, what happened was Dre heard the tracks but was not happy with them and went in the studio to put the final touches on them like a great producer does and there you go Classic album. Doggystyle was made in less than a year and look how it turned out, could not have been any better.

I've always wondered about this... because that's what it basically says in Ronin Ro's 'Have Gun Will Travel' book, BUT then in a dubcnn interview (I think) with Daz he said which tracks he did and I think there were tracks off both sides, so it wasn't like a Dr Dre first half and other people second half (and I think Daz said he only co-produced 3 beats anyway). Then in the same book it says that then Dre was a perfectionist and went away and mixed all the tracks and fixed them up, taking it around various studios to mix it until it was perfect...
So which is it? Either they had to rush part of the album or he had loads of time to keep on mixing it until it was perfect - it seems kind of contradictory to me. And none of it seems rushed either because there are no obvious weak tracks

HEC

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2008, 07:32:54 AM »
believe it or not "Doggystyle" was rushed into stores because Suge wanted it in time for the Thanksgiving holiday week and Dre was only finished with the first half of the album. Thats when all the rumors started that Daz and others produced the second half of Doggystyle, what happened was Dre heard the tracks but was not happy with them and went in the studio to put the final touches on them like a great producer does and there you go Classic album. Doggystyle was made in less than a year and look how it turned out, could not have been any better.

I've always wondered about this... because that's what it basically says in Ronin Ro's 'Have Gun Will Travel' book, BUT then in a dubcnn interview (I think) with Daz he said which tracks he did and I think there were tracks off both sides, so it wasn't like a Dr Dre first half and other people second half (and I think Daz said he only co-produced 3 beats anyway). Then in the same book it says that then Dre was a perfectionist and went away and mixed all the tracks and fixed them up, taking it around various studios to mix it until it was perfect...
So which is it? Either they had to rush part of the album or he had loads of time to keep on mixing it until it was perfect - it seems kind of contradictory to me. And none of it seems rushed either because there are no obvious weak tracks

yeah I went with what Ro wrote in his book, I have to look over it again but that is what I remember he said, about Daz I remember what the interview you are talking about now its a matter of who is more credible Daz or Ro? I am one of the biggest Daz fans ever but I know whatever comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt, the 3 beats in question which ones are they?. It seems like "Ain't No Fun" sounds more Warren G than Daz, and also "Next Episode" would be more Warren than Daz. I agree no weak tracks on the album including "Next Episode" and if you include "Doggystyle" the unreleased song as well. I think you can probably put most of the unreleased tracks that were meant for the album and get 16 or 17 5/5 quality songs.

HEC

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
I just read some interesting things about the concept of this album. I agree in order for this to go down as a classic that will be remembered it just can't be "The Chronic 3" with a bunch of guests old and new even if it is dope music. I like the idea of Dre doing something bad and then going to "Detox". Maybe this could be the opening of Dre doing some dark gangsta tracks in the beginning of the album with some of the old guests that were mentioned in this thread, former Death Row inmates, maybe  Ren and Cube hey anything is possible and then having the theme of him going into a "Detox" type of thing and changing the production up to incorporate this new style with more jazzy beats and it would be a great way to introduce his protege Bishop Lamont into the world. I thought previoulsy that Crooked I would be dope to be included but now that I think of it maybe he is not a good "fit" for any of this album so I am leaving him off, except if maybe he were to be included in a cut with Bishop, the two of them on a song together would sound intriguing. But for the most part I think Bishop should be the feature for the "Detox" part which would comprise the second half of the album, I am thinking most of the cuts like Chad said earlier in the thread 70% Bishop would be a great idea. One thing I am having trouble though is the part of picking a first single, what should it be the "Detox" part or the early dark gangsta type track? Which would make more of an impact the way "Still DRE" did because Dre dropped a track right there which is a signature one and will be remembered as his comeback single? It has been a longer wait for a Dre single this time because he had "Been There Done That" in '96 so he dropped one 3 years later

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
I just read some interesting things about the concept of this album. I agree in order for this to go down as a classic that will be remembered it just can't be "The Chronic 3" with a bunch of guests old and new even if it is dope music. I like the idea of Dre doing something bad and then going to "Detox". Maybe this could be the opening of Dre doing some dark gangsta tracks in the beginning of the album with some of the old guests that were mentioned in this thread, former Death Row inmates, maybe  Ren and Cube hey anything is possible and then having the theme of him going into a "Detox" type of thing and changing the production up to incorporate this new style with more jazzy beats and it would be a great way to introduce his protege Bishop Lamont into the world. I thought previoulsy that Crooked I would be dope to be included but now that I think of it maybe he is not a good "fit" for any of this album so I am leaving him off, except if maybe he were to be included in a cut with Bishop, the two of them on a song together would sound intriguing. But for the most part I think Bishop should be the feature for the "Detox" part which would comprise the second half of the album, I am thinking most of the cuts like Chad said earlier in the thread 70% Bishop would be a great idea. One thing I am having trouble though is the part of picking a first single, what should it be the "Detox" part or the early dark gangsta type track? Which would make more of an impact the way "Still DRE" did because Dre dropped a track right there which is a signature one and will be remembered as his comeback single? It has been a longer wait for a Dre single this time because he had "Been There Done That" in '96 so he dropped one 3 years later

good stuff!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »
I just read some interesting things about the concept of this album. I agree in order for this to go down as a classic that will be remembered it just can't be "The Chronic 3" with a bunch of guests old and new even if it is dope music. I like the idea of Dre doing something bad and then going to "Detox". Maybe this could be the opening of Dre doing some dark gangsta tracks in the beginning of the album with some of the old guests that were mentioned in this thread, former Death Row inmates, maybe  Ren and Cube hey anything is possible and then having the theme of him going into a "Detox" type of thing and changing the production up to incorporate this new style with more jazzy beats and it would be a great way to introduce his protege Bishop Lamont into the world.
i see, so you want some sort of transition from "old" to new?

but don't you think that your idea could mean a less consistent album if he makes the album consist of 2 parts?

One thing I am having trouble though is the part of picking a first single, what should it be the "Detox" part or the early dark gangsta type track? Which would make more of an impact the way "Still DRE" did because Dre dropped a track right there which is a signature one and will be remembered as his comeback single? It has been a longer wait for a Dre single this time because he had "Been There Done That" in '96 so he dropped one 3 years later
the intro of Detox is called intervention.
not sure how dre is going to kick it off though; you'd expect him to come with some sort of warmup single.

he better not come with another still dre or forgot about dre.
don't get me wrong , i love those tracks, but the formula is too simple for me.
but the track will offcourse be considered as Dre's "comeback"  :P

the Detox part should come at the end; at least that would make sense to me  ;)
it's going to be a concept album after all.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:44:26 AM by Dre-Day - Officer of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

HEC

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2008, 01:53:28 PM »
I just read some interesting things about the concept of this album. I agree in order for this to go down as a classic that will be remembered it just can't be "The Chronic 3" with a bunch of guests old and new even if it is dope music. I like the idea of Dre doing something bad and then going to "Detox". Maybe this could be the opening of Dre doing some dark gangsta tracks in the beginning of the album with some of the old guests that were mentioned in this thread, former Death Row inmates, maybe  Ren and Cube hey anything is possible and then having the theme of him going into a "Detox" type of thing and changing the production up to incorporate this new style with more jazzy beats and it would be a great way to introduce his protege Bishop Lamont into the world.

but don't you think that your idea could mean a less consistent album if he makes the album consist of 2 parts?

I think the overall sound of the album would not be as consistent but I think the album itself as far as being a dope and classic album can be done. I'm not saying put in a whole bunch of different sounds and bunch them all together or even put in G-funk, just some gangsta type tracks in the beginning similar to a few that he had on "2001" bet even with a darker sounding vibe. Dre is great at sequencing the songs on an album so one track kind of flows on to the other one so I don't think it would be a problem for him.

HEC

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »
the intro of Detox is called intervention.
not sure how dre is going to kick it off though; you'd expect him to come with some sort of warmup single.

he better not come with another still dre or forgot about dre.
don't get me wrong , i love those tracks, but the formula is too simple for me.
but the track will offcourse be considered as Dre's "comeback"  :P

the Detox part should come at the end; at least that would make sense to me  ;)
it's going to be a concept album after all.

yeah I don't think the same I'm Back type single would do the trick, I guess a street warmup single, I remember when "2001" came out there were leaks of songs like the OG "What's the Difference" with the unfinished beat. I remember hearing "Forgot About Dre" too. Both before "Still DRE" dropped

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

I think the overall sound of the album would not be as consistent but I think the album itself as far as being a dope and classic album can be done. I'm not saying put in a whole bunch of different sounds and bunch them all together or even put in G-funk, just some gangsta type tracks in the beginning similar to a few that he had on "2001" bet even with a darker sounding vibe. Dre is great at sequencing the songs on an album so one track kind of flows on to the other one so I don't think it would be a problem for him.

from a fan point of view i could probably still appreciate it, but i don't like the idea of dividing it roughly in 2 parts.
like Chad said:
fuck what sub-generes the rappers belong to.

Detox is going to have a wider mix of different styles/subgenres than 2001, because more people are involved this time.
i know that Dre is able to put it all together without making it seem like a compilation but am i really the only one that thinks that a general "theme" for the album is not enough  :-\ the way i see it, with all the people involved the only way to do it is to make a conceptalbum or am i mixing up a few things  :-\

yeah I don't think the same I'm Back type single would do the trick, I guess a street warmup single, I remember when "2001" came out there were leaks of songs like the OG "What's the Difference" with the unfinished beat. I remember hearing "Forgot About Dre" too. Both before "Still DRE" dropped
at least one snippet, and perhaps another youtube video; the bishop video had spread fast.

HEC

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »
I always thought of Dre's albums as compilations so I don't really mind that part, but I didn't really mean to divide the album into 2 parts, just have maybe 3 tracks lets say featuring for instance on one Kurupt, RBX and Rage in a throwback type gangsta track. Dre, Cube and Ren on another one and then have a Snoop/Dre one. The rest could be Aftermath artists from the label primarily featuring on Bishop but of course I expect Em, Busta and even 50 on a track, hopefully just one with 50. I definitey think this would work along with the concept.