Author Topic: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?  (Read 15990 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2008, 07:30:33 AM »
Well, everything in the whole thread and everything mentioned over the last several years is a rumor until we have the CD in our hands!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2008, 07:32:26 AM »
Well, everything in the whole thread and everything mentioned over the last several years is a rumor until we have the CD in our hands!
lol  :laugh:

a lot of things are unknown, that's a whole different story ;)

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »
Just read this rumor over at allhiphop.com -

"I am hearing that neither 50 Cent nor Game will be on Detox. I did hear that Snoop (you know this), Bishop Lamont (you know this too), Eminem (this too), Cashis, Busta Rhymes and even Diddy will be on the final product."

Sounds good to me! Well... maybe not Diddy
What's the source? Oh right! Heartalk...although he could co-produce something with diddy, maybe Grow Up was with diddy? You never know.

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
I hope to hear a verse from The D.O.C... Even short, but to hear.. Everybody iz everybody.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2008, 04:54:27 AM »

;) :laugh:

Maybe the topic title should be changed to the serious rumors and speculations thread about Detox?
It should be fun to see if any of the shit in this thread will come true  :laugh:

but if we're going to lower ourselves to gossip  :-X

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2008, 05:32:57 AM »

I think with Detox people have been expecting the big new innovation to be musical - as in the beats... but I'm starting to think that the new innovation will be mainly the lyrical content... basically a huge mainstream album with different subject matter than we're used to - that's exactly what 'Grow Up' is

The beats will bang hard, no doubt, but I don't think they will be where the 'difference' is. Critics mainly criticized 2001 for it's cliched, tired lyrical content, and so I think Dre picked up on that and that's why he he's going to change the content with Detox - no more out and out gangsta shit (and therefore no room for Game or 50)

And if you think about it, Dre has never really be an innovator in beats... he has simply taken ideas that are already there and done them the best... G-Funk was already around, he just made two of the finest examples of that style with Chronic and Doggystyle... then people had been doing keyboard, minimalist beats for awhile when he brought out 2001... his shit was just louder and bigger and harder and clearer and all 5/5 beats on one album

I don't think Dre will do a Paul's Boutique on us. He's always had a very commercial ear and I think this album will sound very similar to what he's been doing for the past few years (though it will be some of the best beats of that type), and you may not even notice any difference until you've heard it several times... just like with 'Grow Up', because the difference will be in what's being said, not how it's being said or what beats it's over, at least that's what I'm guessing

So the revolution will probably be a subtle one... not an out and out sonic revolution with crazy new sounds and unpredictable song structures like on Paul's Boutique... 'Grow Up' is verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus... because that is what works on a large scale to get a big audience
I think the plan is to get that audience hooked with the typical structure and big banging beats they're used to, whilst slowly feeding them some new content instead of the same tired gangsta re-treads we've heard for the past 15 or so years

you're right, as it was pointed out so many times before, let's not expect a miracle.

but i think you should expect more from Detox than just an "upgrade" of the lyrics.

come on, the album has been re-worked so many times now, so i think it's only right to expect more improvement on the production side.

that doesn't necessarily imply that Detox won't sound somewhat similar to Dre's recent productions.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
you're right, as it was pointed out so many times before, let's not expect a miracle.

but i think you should expect more from Detox than just an "upgrade" of the lyrics.

come on, the album has been re-worked so many times now, so i think it's only right to expect more improvement on the production side.

that doesn't necessarily imply that Detox won't sound somewhat similar to Dre's recent productions.

Now I'm just expecting banging beats, but in the same way 2001 was banging... several of them were some of the best Dre beats ever, though they weren't like groundbreaking in terms of doing something totally different

I think before I was expecting something totally different, like beats that change all the way through, or more layers, or whatever... I don't think we'll be seeing a big leap like that, it'll just be a collection of some of the best Dre beats he's ever done

Looking around the net at reactions to 'Grow Up' - it seems like 95% of people who hear it say the beat is awesome... compared to the initial reaction to it on here...

I think that's mainly because most music listeners haven't been following all the Detox info over the years... they probably heard it's going to come out, but aren't expecting it to be insanely different... so to most people who hear the 'Grow Up' beat, it's just a really big, dope, chilled beat... like I think if the Grow Up beat had been on Snoop's last album or on Game's new album, people here would have been like  :o :o ... because they wouldn't expect that 'new' style they think Dre is going to bring

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »

Now I'm just expecting banging beats, but in the same way 2001 was banging... several of them were some of the best Dre beats ever, though they weren't like groundbreaking in terms of doing something totally different

I think before I was expecting something totally different, like beats that change all the way through, or more layers, or whatever... I don't think we'll be seeing a big leap like that, it'll just be a collection of some of the best Dre beats he's ever done
agreed, 2001 wasn't a miracle, but you could say it wasn't just a chronic 2  ;)

i think it's good that your expectations for Detox aren't unrealistically high; maybe that'll help you take the album for what it's worth quicker if/when it drops.

i wonder why your expectations have changed though; i thought that reading info, like the stuff from my Detox topic, would lead to higher expectations  :laugh:

by the way, so you're basically expecting the best out of the current Dre production style/structure to be kept for Detox?
wouldn't you agree that it sounds disappointing, considering what's been told and how long the album has been worked on so far?
Dre didn't experiment much in the last few years  :P

Looking around the net at reactions to 'Grow Up' - it seems like 95% of people who hear it say the beat is awesome... compared to the initial reaction to it on here...

I think that's mainly because most music listeners haven't been following all the Detox info over the years... they probably heard it's going to come out, but aren't expecting it to be insanely different... so to most people who hear the 'Grow Up' beat, it's just a really big, dope, chilled beat... like I think if the Grow Up beat had been on Snoop's last album or on Game's new album, people here would have been like  :o :o ... because they wouldn't expect that 'new' style they think Dre is going to bring

i don't think it would make much of a difference to whom the beat had went to; Dre beats automatically lead to high expectations  :P
just look at how the stuff from the blue carpet treatment was criticised for example  ;)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
i wonder why your expectations have changed though; i thought that reading info, like the stuff from my Detox topic, would lead to higher expectations  :laugh:

by the way, so you're basically expecting the best out of the current Dre production style/structure to be kept for Detox?
wouldn't you agree that it sounds disappointing, considering what's been told and how long the album has been worked on so far?

My expectations changed kind of based off of 'Grow Up'... they didn't really change, that track just more confirmed to me what I already suspected - that Dre will go with what sounds good over some crazy new thing that is different for the sake of being different. I was open to it being crazily different (and I was kind of hoping it would be), but after hearing 'Grow Up', that kind of did it for me... now all I am expecting are dope beats in the same style or only slightly different - I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be disappointed if it's what I think it will be

Concept albums often screw up because the concept becomes the focus and you get some weak tracks which make the concept work but sound like shit, so it always made sense that a lot of it would go out of the window in favor of what just sounds good. Like you could come up with a crazy idea that looks good on paper, like let's make the whole thing change throughout the track, use this instrument to represent this, etc, but if it doesn't sound as dope as just looping something up with massive drums, then Dre seems like the type who will just go for the better sounding option every time (which is good IMO)

i don't think it would make much of a difference to whom the beat had went to; Dre beats automatically lead to high expectations  :P
just look at how the stuff from the blue carpet treatment was criticised for example  ;)

They always do lead to high expectations, but Detox is that plus like 10000% on top... even though people say they thought those beats on blue carpet treatment weren't some of Dre's best, people often still say they're the best beats on the album!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »

My expectations changed kind of based off of 'Grow Up'... they didn't really change, that track just more confirmed to me what I already suspected - that Dre will go with what sounds good over some crazy new thing that is different for the sake of being different. I was open to it being crazily different (and I was kind of hoping it would be), but after hearing 'Grow Up', that kind of did it for me... now all I am expecting are dope beats in the same style or only slightly different - I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be disappointed if it's what I think it will be

Concept albums often screw up because the concept becomes the focus and you get some weak tracks which make the concept work but sound like shit, so it always made sense that a lot of it would go out of the window in favor of what just sounds good. Like you could come up with a crazy idea that looks good on paper, like let's make the whole thing change throughout the track, use this instrument to represent this, etc, but if it doesn't sound as dope as just looping something up with massive drums, then Dre seems like the type who will just go for the better sounding option every time (which is good IMO)

i see, well in that case Detox could be a very dope album for you  ;)

anyway, you're right, some things may not turn out as well as they look on paper, but i already expect Detox to sound good, so i would feel cheated if Dre takes the fast route.

They always do lead to high expectations, but Detox is that plus like 10000% on top... even though people say they thought those beats on blue carpet treatment weren't some of Dre's best, people often still say they're the best beats on the album!
yep Detox is a special case  :laugh:

B.A.

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
First let me say I'm anticipating Detox, I really want it to raise the bar production wise and lyrically, but my opinion is that Detox is not going to be as good as 2001 and definitally not as good as The Chronic. When The Chronic came out and I heard it for the first time, I was hooked on it instantly, that album changed the sound for the whole westcoast, it was "the new shit" and the westcoast dominated for the next several years from that style. After a few years the westcoast influence wasn't as big and the eastcoast was on top, westcoast artist we're still doing their thing but not getting nearly as much recognition. Then came 2001, it was a great album but I can honestly say that it took me a few listens to fully appreciate Dre's new sound, to me it sounded more stipped down and simple compared to The Chronic. I think 2001 broke new ground sonically, more so than it did from the actual beats, based on how clean and hard hitting the beats were (basically the mixing and mastering of the album). People now are still trying to make their beats "bang" as hard as Dre's do. 2001 didn't change the game and and did not give the westcoast a new sound to run with like The Chronic did, aside from a few artist's albums affiliated with Dre (Snoop's Last Meal, which wasn't all that, Em's Marshall Mathers LP which was tight but he's not westcoast though, Xzibits Restless was tight too) the westcoast still got overlooked and the east coast still had it locked and now the south is getting their shot at it. I think Detox might be more along the lines of 2001, I don't think it's gonna be a drastic change from the type of beats/songs he's been producing in the last few years, but Dre might improve once again the quality of his sound. I mean ofcorse there will be a few songs that are gonna be, without a doubt, the best out of the album, real classics, but I don't really see Detox changing the game. After it comes out there will be a few artist affiliated with Dre that will come out with great, successful albums (Bishop being one of them) but after that it will be back to whatever. I think Dre has the ear to do something really creative production wise and come up with some really new shit but I don't think he'll do it. Some of the more recent songs that Dre produced left me unsatisfied, the songs he did on Jay-Z Kingdom Come album as well as Snoops Blue Carpet treatment sounded lazy. The new Bishop Lamont song Grow Up is again very simple and is not breaking any new ground, don't get me wrong, it's a good song but if it was the exact same song with a different rapper spittin the lyrics and no Dr. Dre stamp on the production side, I doubt that people would be talking about how great the song is. For being the first official single off of Bishop's upcoming album The Reformation, after all the re-working and pushing back of Detox because Dre's not satisfied, it sounds like Dre didn't "take his time to perfect a beat", I expected more. I think that if you think about all the lead singles that Dre has produced in all his years, 95% of them kill this song. That's why I don't really have high hopes for the album to do anything different, with such high expectations for Detox, most of the music Dre's produced in the last couple of years has been, ehhh...alright. I don't want to come off as a Dr. Dre hater or nothing, I love all his work from the N.W.A. days up until the 2001 days, I like what he did on the Game's first album, even that Dr. Dre presents Aftermath album has some tight tracks on it and the King T album Dre produced that was going to come out before Eminem's first album was tight as hell (he should have put it out). Maybe he's saving all his best work for Detox? I hope so. Come on Dre, change the game one more time...
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2008, 01:00:02 AM »
First let me say I'm anticipating Detox, I really want it to raise the bar production wise and lyrically, but my opinion is that Detox is not going to be as good as 2001 and definitally not as good as The Chronic. When The Chronic came out and I heard it for the first time, I was hooked on it instantly, that album changed the sound for the whole westcoast, it was "the new shit" and the westcoast dominated for the next several years from that style. After a few years the westcoast influence wasn't as big and the eastcoast was on top, westcoast artist we're still doing their thing but not getting nearly as much recognition. Then came 2001, it was a great album but I can honestly say that it took me a few listens to fully appreciate Dre's new sound, to me it sounded more stipped down and simple compared to The Chronic. I think 2001 broke new ground sonically, more so than it did from the actual beats, based on how clean and hard hitting the beats were (basically the mixing and mastering of the album). People now are still trying to make their beats "bang" as hard as Dre's do. 2001 didn't change the game and and did not give the westcoast a new sound to run with like The Chronic did, aside from a few artist's albums affiliated with Dre (Snoop's Last Meal, which wasn't all that, Em's Marshall Mathers LP which was tight but he's not westcoast though, Xzibits Restless was tight too) the westcoast still got overlooked and the east coast still had it locked and now the south is getting their shot at it. I think Detox might be more along the lines of 2001, I don't think it's gonna be a drastic change from the type of beats/songs he's been producing in the last few years, but Dre might improve once again the quality of his sound. I mean ofcorse there will be a few songs that are gonna be, without a doubt, the best out of the album, real classics, but I don't really see Detox changing the game. After it comes out there will be a few artist affiliated with Dre that will come out with great, successful albums (Bishop being one of them) but after that it will be back to whatever. I think Dre has the ear to do something really creative production wise and come up with some really new shit but I don't think he'll do it. Some of the more recent songs that Dre produced left me unsatisfied, the songs he did on Jay-Z Kingdom Come album as well as Snoops Blue Carpet treatment sounded lazy. The new Bishop Lamont song Grow Up is again very simple and is not breaking any new ground, don't get me wrong, it's a good song but if it was the exact same song with a different rapper spittin the lyrics and no Dr. Dre stamp on the production side, I doubt that people would be talking about how great the song is. For being the first official single off of Bishop's upcoming album The Reformation, after all the re-working and pushing back of Detox because Dre's not satisfied, it sounds like Dre didn't "take his time to perfect a beat", I expected more. I think that if you think about all the lead singles that Dre has produced in all his years, 95% of them kill this song. That's why I don't really have high hopes for the album to do anything different, with such high expectations for Detox, most of the music Dre's produced in the last couple of years has been, ehhh...alright. I don't want to come off as a Dr. Dre hater or nothing, I love all his work from the N.W.A. days up until the 2001 days, I like what he did on the Game's first album, even that Dr. Dre presents Aftermath album has some tight tracks on it and the King T album Dre produced that was going to come out before Eminem's first album was tight as hell (he should have put it out). Maybe he's saving all his best work for Detox? I hope so. Come on Dre, change the game one more time...

congrats on your first post  :cheers:
i appreciate your honesty  ;)

well as you read in this topic, others are sceptical too due to similar reasons as yours  ;)

anyway, keep up the good work  :sun:

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
Nice input from B.A.,UCC and Dre-Day  ;)

;)

well i hope you're wrong too, cause i'm expecting gold from Detox, so i hope Detox to be silver; nothing less, so that the disappointment is not too big.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »

on a second thought, you may be right.
Dre could get away with it, due to his mixing skills  :laugh:

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »
It'll be a hybrid of melodies (various styles of r&b/soul funk/crunk/westcoast/jazz music), concepts that won't get played out after a few listens, live instruments, and soundbreaking mixing that'll cause an industry shakedown.  detox will be groundbreaking for hip hop MUSIC and engineering, and will go un-noticed in 3 months (you'll see with Tha Carter 3 and DigiSnax).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:17:33 PM by BiggBoogaBiff »