Author Topic: question to CD /music collectors about CD resurfacing  (Read 119 times)

We Fly High

question to CD /music collectors about CD resurfacing
« on: August 06, 2007, 09:06:24 PM »
this is a question directed to the cd/music collectors about CD resurfacing. I just bought a set of cds, however they arent in the best condition and are actually all heavily used (all of them have tons of light scratches, but nothing deep enough that would affect play). Now i know you can buy a "Dr Skip" or those $30 cd repair machines.. I'm not looking for that. I wanted to get these cds resurfaced so that they appear "like new" or at least in good condition. There are a few websites on the internet that promote these services, (example: http://www.cdrepairman.com). From what I gather is that they basically remove layers from the disc. They basically ask you to ship in your cds (charging a standard price for each cd repair), and they send it back to you. Has anyone tried this before? or know of any local places in Los Angeles?

AboveTheLaw

Re: question to CD /music collectors about CD resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
Yeah don't waste your time on those Disc Doctor units.

Best bet is to just send them one CD that you wouldn't mind experimenting with.

Although contact them ahead of time and make sure they test the CDs to see if they play as intended once they've finished repairing them.

I doubt it would work 100% on very badly damaged CDs as it would require too much processing, possibly taking off too much of the protective layer.

Regards

~Lucien~

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 02:37:31 PM »
I tried it before at a local movie store over here in Holland...
my jayo felony take a ride cd was all scratched up.
the disc skipped on every cd/dvd player in my house.
after they repaired it (removed a layer) I could play it on every player again.
it worked for me. I paid $2 for repairing the cd

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
did they basically just fill in the scratches with a fluid? or did they literally sand off a layer, so that it looks pretty much brand new.