Author Topic: Bill O'Reilly on Nas  (Read 1095 times)

AndrE16686

Re: Bill O'Reilly on Nas
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2007, 05:07:03 AM »

Obviously we are all hip-hop fans or why else would we be all posting in here. As lovers of the genre we are in a better position to understand that the imagery is entirely for the sake of entertainment and that the words are not meant literally and are used as an expression of power. Gangsta rap was born out of MC battles where competing MCs had to destroy each other using their words. So essentially it is non-violent form of expression, the purpose of which is to encapsulate human emotions such as rage and anger and provide them with a non-physical outlet from which to manifest.

However, to the outsider, NaS seems to want to be both a political and social speaker but at the same time portray a mafioso character. The two are hard to reconcile and they are opposites. And in the political sphere it is normal for any weakness to be shoved under the magnifying glass, therefore I see that NaS was fair-game for O'Reilly. If NaS wants to be a public speaker and talk on gun violence then there are naturally things he needs to make clearer for the mainstream. But yeah, the attack on NaS was cheap by not getting a credible advocate for hip-hop on the show, the dude should of been credible as he had written a book on hip-hop, but that just highlights another point, that hip-hop has it's fair share of parasites trying to make a quick buck. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »
hip-hop has it's fair share of parasites trying to make a quick buck. 

hip-hop IS a fair share of parasites trying to make a quick buck. 

Most of these the street rappers play the part year round. They want to call it art to critics and real to the street fans. I've said this before, but to me it's as ridiculous as Al Pacino if he was doing interviews in 82 promoting Sarface while staying in the Tony Montana character. It's just a shame that most of the public doesn't see that. For them it's like pre-1985 pro wrestling when all the media portrayed it as real and the wrestlers wouldn't dare call it fake. Most people had an idea that it was but the wrestlers would never appear out of character in interviews. If Nas wants to be seen as a poet, an author and artist then he and more rappers need to come out and say it, and say it again, and then say it one more time. "My name is Nasir Jones and I am not a thug. I have never been a thug, and at best I was the kid tagging along with the real thugs trying to be cool. I use those childhood experiences and mix them with gangster movies I love to tell stories through music, but that's all they are; stories". But he has to realize that he cannot do that AND go on TV claiming to be a don in '96 and keeping Tupac from taking over his streets during the East/West feud. He cannot go on interviews and tell people Jay Z was this that and the third on the streets while Nas was more the real deal.

And if he wants to speak out against gun violence on the street then he has to be willing to turn in and testify anyone he knows that committed it, for the sake of the community he's trying to help. If my blood brother needlessly shot and killed a man woman or child in the street I wouldn't even have to think about turning him in, and I'd stare him right in the eyes when I testify in court. It's not me who would be ashamed for turning in my own brother. It's him that should be ashamed for not turning in himself, not pleading guilty, and killing someone in the first place.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2007, 10:49:30 PM »

Most of these the street rappers play the part year round. They want to call it art to critics and real to the street fans. I've said this before, but to me it's as ridiculous as Al Pacino if he was doing interviews in 82 promoting Sarface while staying in the Tony Montana character. It's just a shame that most of the public doesn't see that. For them it's like pre-1985 pro wrestling when all the media portrayed it as real and the wrestlers wouldn't dare call it fake. Most people had an idea that it was but the wrestlers would never appear out of character in interviews. If Nas wants to be seen as a poet, an author and artist then he and more rappers need to come out and say it, and say it again, and then say it one more time. "My name is Nasir Jones and I am not a thug. I have never been a thug, and at best I was the kid tagging along with the real thugs trying to be cool. I use those childhood experiences and mix them with gangster movies I love to tell stories through music, but that's all they are; stories". But he has to realize that he cannot do that AND go on TV claiming to be a don in '96 and keeping Tupac from taking over his streets during the East/West feud. He cannot go on interviews and tell people Jay Z was this that and the third on the streets while Nas was more the real deal.

And if he wants to speak out against gun violence on the street then he has to be willing to turn in and testify anyone he knows that committed it, for the sake of the community he's trying to help. If my blood brother needlessly shot and killed a man woman or child in the street I wouldn't even have to think about turning him in, and I'd stare him right in the eyes when I testify in court. It's not me who would be ashamed for turning in my own brother. It's him that should be ashamed for not turning in himself, not pleading guilty, and killing someone in the first place.

If Nas was not a platinum rapper, would you have the same opinion. This cat... puts Illmatic as the greatest album ever, agrees with me that Nas is top 3 of all time, and still disses him. I don't get a thing this cat says.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 07:17:49 AM »

If Nas was not a platinum rapper, would you have the same opinion. This cat... puts Illmatic as the greatest album ever, agrees with me that Nas is top 3 of all time, and still disses him. I don't get a thing this cat says.

Absolutely. I'm not dissing his hip hop talents. I'm adressing the way he chooses to adress himself on various issues and I'm merely stating that he is gangster rap. How much he sells makes no difference. I think Tupac is the best ever. e had more and better uplifting songs than Nas but I'd understand why students may not have wanted him at an event like this, and I'd still criticize Pac for keep the kaye fabe alive. Same goes for everyone's favourite white MC.

Hip Hop needs to stop telling everyone who's real and who isn't and start being real, for real, and stop acting. Only then can it properly move forward as art.

AndrE16686

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:07 PM »

Hip Hop needs to stop telling everyone who's real and who isn't and start being real, for real, and stop acting. Only then can it properly move forward as art.

^^
Word.Tell me about it.....Can you believe that there are self-confessed Bloodz and Crips HERE in Australia!? Shit is ridiculous, all these Islander kids walk around with blue rags or red rags now. Its the stupidest shit I have ever seen.....

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:49:53 PM by The Overfiend »

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 09:28:01 PM »
Bill O'Reilly?  Who gives a fuck what he thinks?  All he does is try to start controversy for ratings.  I don't know why people give him any attention or give creedence to anything he says.  You play into his trap when you try to analyze him.  He's not even worth talking about.  In fact, I avoided this thread just cuz it was about him but it kept popping up to the top of the page so I said fuck it.  But really though, who cares what BO says. 

Dodgers#1

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 09:32:32 PM »
Who cares about Fox News and Bil O'Reilly .... the best way to answer this guy is to ignore him ...

agree homie

swangin and bangin

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 10:47:43 PM »
fuck a fox news reporter

lmao at killa puttin his fatass in place