Author Topic: Soulja Boy - Crank That (Soulja Boy)  (Read 729 times)

SGV

Re: Soulja Boy - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »

Well truth is, the West coast is ridin with the south a WHOLE LOT MORE than the East rode with us. Everytime you go to a party in L.A., you'll hear more down south music than anything else, and afterwards, damn near every car ridin by will be bumpin somethin from the south. The only people who "hate" are the lyrical heads, or the ones who are just bitter. I don't know many people out here who just don't like anything from the south. Some people here might not like their club music, but they'll like a few artists from there.

And as far as lyrics only...I think the rappers we had came with much better flows and deliveries to their average lyrics, while the south brings more personality and catchiness to their average lyrics...so it's not much different. However, for both of us, the main rappers who will be remembered in the future brought a mixture of everything from lyrics to personality to overall image. Most people outside the West can only name 1-2 4-Tay songs, if that....and in 10-15 years, Franchise Boys will only be known for their 1-2 major songs, if that.

My post is aimed at the people in bold. I live out here in the West. Most of my homies dig that South shit. Most people I know dig that South shit. It's only here on Dubcc and various other forums that you really see cats diss the South (unless of course you're surrounded by Backpackers, who think everythings wack). Reality is though, people on here will downplay the South for their lyrics, but all the while they're bigging up W.C., Daz, etc. Thats the funny shit to me.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

Well truth is, the West coast is ridin with the south a WHOLE LOT MORE than the East rode with us. Everytime you go to a party in L.A., you'll hear more down south music than anything else, and afterwards, damn near every car ridin by will be bumpin somethin from the south. The only people who "hate" are the lyrical heads, or the ones who are just bitter. I don't know many people out here who just don't like anything from the south. Some people here might not like their club music, but they'll like a few artists from there.

And as far as lyrics only...I think the rappers we had came with much better flows and deliveries to their average lyrics, while the south brings more personality and catchiness to their average lyrics...so it's not much different. However, for both of us, the main rappers who will be remembered in the future brought a mixture of everything from lyrics to personality to overall image. Most people outside the West can only name 1-2 4-Tay songs, if that....and in 10-15 years, Franchise Boys will only be known for their 1-2 major songs, if that.

My post is aimed at the people in bold. I live out here in the West. Most of my homies dig that South shit. Most people I know dig that South shit. It's only here on Dubcc and various other forums that you really see cats diss the South (unless of course you're surrounded by Backpackers, who think everythings wack). Reality is though, people on here will downplay the South for their lyrics, but all the while they're bigging up W.C., Daz, etc. Thats the funny shit to me.

Yeah I feel you, I was just responding to whoever felt like that. To be honest, at least speaking for the blacks in L.A., the younger ones just seem to ride whatever radio tells them is hot. It's High Schoolers out here who love Soulja Boy, Joc, and Wayne, but think Ice Cube and Quik are wack...and some will think Outkast is wack, so it has nothing to do with coasts.

SGV

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »
Oh no doubt about it that its the youngsters that truly like this music. Just like we were the youngsters who liked Cube, Snoop etc. But its the cats who were feeling their school of rap that think today's rap is wack.

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »
how can hip-hop teach and be positive if we cant dance, how many "2-low" need 2 come back out (Scarface album "The world...") b4 we have anotha conspiracy in hiphop again.  There's alot of bullshittin artists out there and theres alot of REAL niggas out there rappin 2.  just cuz EVERYBODY say "these niggas aint real/they never served them deals" rhymes  dont mean that 99% of tha rappers didnt do shit at one point in they life, especially if you from a big city.  As far as lyrics and mainstream go, u gota look at it from a BUSINESS state of mind, its like why would u sell beef noodle water and everybody wants coke.  Its targeted 2 tha younger generation cuz we are tha ones who keep it alive, u cant b 50 rappin.  Niggas talk about lyrics lyrics lyrics wen half of that shit dont even matter, just like ALOT of 90's (so long ago) rappers werent really sayin shit on most of tha album but "my flow is hot like sauce /ima boss like god /bullshit talks and fall /while tha feds is on my balls" no point- its just how "real" u are. its tha same shit we talkin now just more lyrically inclined rather than "i got golds on my teeth /and nikes on my feet/ lean wit it rock wit it/ im all about my cheese".  It's a fact nowadays tha radio/p/etc. doesnt "kill" hiphop its tha fans, nobody else does.  if we all went out and brought every conscience lyrical positive gangbangin from tha past 90's sounded mc (which most of ya'll piss everynight in tha bed prayin 4) then it still wouldnt top tha sales of fuckin Hurricane Chris.  i aint tellin u who u should like (except 4 wen i drop and my beats/artists) cuz i could give a muthafuck, but if u so-called wana save "hiphop" then make ur own beats/songs and buy who u like, stop hatin on tha next nigga and gitcha own, fuck boys cry and run off at da mouth everysingle time and kings make somethin happin
I only fuck with 10's

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »
how can hip-hop teach and be positive if we cant dance, how many "2-low" need 2 come back out (Scarface album "The world...") b4 we have anotha conspiracy in hiphop again.  There's alot of bullshittin artists out there and theres alot of REAL niggas out there rappin 2.  just cuz EVERYBODY say "these niggas aint real/they never served them deals" rhymes  dont mean that 99% of tha rappers didnt do shit at one point in they life, especially if you from a big city.  As far as lyrics and mainstream go, u gota look at it from a BUSINESS state of mind, its like why would u sell beef noodle water and everybody wants coke.  Its targeted 2 tha younger generation cuz we are tha ones who keep it alive, u cant b 50 rappin.  Niggas talk about lyrics lyrics lyrics wen half of that shit dont even matter, just like ALOT of 90's (so long ago) rappers werent really sayin shit on most of tha album but "my flow is hot like sauce /ima boss like god /bullshit talks and fall /while tha feds is on my balls" no point- its just how "real" u are. its tha same shit we talkin now just more lyrically inclined rather than "i got golds on my teeth /and nikes on my feet/ lean wit it rock wit it/ im all about my cheese".  It's a fact nowadays tha radio/p/etc. doesnt "kill" hiphop its tha fans, nobody else does.  if we all went out and brought every conscience lyrical positive gangbangin from tha past 90's sounded mc (which most of ya'll piss everynight in tha bed prayin 4) then it still wouldnt top tha sales of fuckin Hurricane Chris.  i aint tellin u who u should like (except 4 wen i drop and my beats/artists) cuz i could give a muthafuck, but if u so-called wana save "hiphop" then make ur own beats/songs and buy who u like, stop hatin on tha next nigga and gitcha own, fuck boys cry and run off at da mouth everysingle time and kings make somethin happin

I see you got a lot off of your chest. I don't even think that was directed toward anybody in here...but just at whoever you've heard say things about the south...correct?

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »
This shit is mostly for the youngins who came up at a time when shit was really changin.  But I think it's wack when you have artists that have been in the game for decades straight bitin this sound to try and get a hit these days.  I think it's sad, and it usually doesn't work anyway.

And SGV, SCC was WAY more talented than Yung Joc or D4L.  You mentioned that Quad City DJ's song or Freaknasty being equivalent to these cats?  The parallel would be that they could be categorized as dance music ("Come on Ride the Train" and "Da Dip") shit throw in "Humpty Dance" as well.  But to me, that's where the parallel stops.  Half these cats don't even know what a goddamn flow is, any word that is more than 5 letters long is too big for their vocabulary.  Their verses are nothing but filler time between their ringtone chorus. 

Don't get me twisted like I can't get down to this shit in the clubs, that's the time and place for it.  Nobody's tryin to get all introspective and shit - people wanna dance, they want that catchy shit that they can pick up on the first time through, etc.  I think where people get really fed up is when it seems like its only this type of music that is really being featured on radio / video outlets.  It got so bad that I switched to Satellite and the internet.  But in my opinion, that's why people get so heated about it cuz it's like it's the only option being forced on them.

R-Tistic - Being a DJ and all, of course you gotta cater to your crowd.  You gotta keep their ass on the floor, so I say play what they want, but sprinkle in some other shit just to expose them to a little somethin else every once in a while.

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »

I see you got a lot off of your chest. I don't even think that was directed toward anybody in here...but just at whoever you've heard say things about the south...correct?

pretty much
I only fuck with 10's

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2007, 07:28:46 PM »
tha great hiphop debate is going nowhere, we're selling each otha bullshit (contriversy and murda).  nobody really wants 2 do anything else mainstream wise bcuz its less appealing, why put out an artist with a 10,000 album base rather than a 100,000 one, tha shit economically doesnt make sense.  When Nas dropped HipHop Is Dead he brought tha game 2 where no other MC has, not even Pac.  Shiit, we finally got some real niggas on CNN lol.  Tha shit burns me up wen people say negative comments about tha game, not everybody has tha same taste in hiphop so why should we stick it in a box and let tha sales decline.  Snap away, g-walk away, hustle away shit it dont matter, the kids are being marketed by niggas like Soulja Boy, tha Ying Yang Twins and Lil' Jon bcuz its raw energy and u can dance 2 it, u cant dance 2 "My Life" by Styles P.  - good song but it aint 4 everybody.  If starburst sells more than m&m's u gona stock up in tha starburst.  Thas wat companies are doin'.  nobodies tryna ruin tha game bcuz u cant, theres too many other artist out there.  It's just like tha hood just bcuz alot of niggas make it look ignorant doesnt mean everybody ignorant.  Wen i go 2 tha club i dont wana hear "The People" by Common or "Westside Slaughterhouse" 4 a throwback song.  Shit i cant even lie I wana crank dat new Soulja Boy junt lol.  It's fun and not 2 mention alot of bitches titties is gona b bouncin around tha room  :laugh: 8) :o ;D :D

I should start a blog lol
I only fuck with 10's

swangin and bangin

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ZE2OzguWHo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7ZE2OzguWHo</a>

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 08:45:13 AM »
lol more money in tha bank
I only fuck with 10's

SGV

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
This shit is mostly for the youngins who came up at a time when shit was really changin.  But I think it's wack when you have artists that have been in the game for decades straight bitin this sound to try and get a hit these days.  I think it's sad, and it usually doesn't work anyway.

And SGV, SCC was WAY more talented than Yung Joc or D4L.  You mentioned that Quad City DJ's song or Freaknasty being equivalent to these cats?  The parallel would be that they could be categorized as dance music ("Come on Ride the Train" and "Da Dip") shit throw in "Humpty Dance" as well.  But to me, that's where the parallel stops.  Half these cats don't even know what a goddamn flow is, any word that is more than 5 letters long is too big for their vocabulary.  Their verses are nothing but filler time between their ringtone chorus. 

Don't get me twisted like I can't get down to this shit in the clubs, that's the time and place for it.  Nobody's tryin to get all introspective and shit - people wanna dance, they want that catchy shit that they can pick up on the first time through, etc.  I think where people get really fed up is when it seems like its only this type of music that is really being featured on radio / video outlets.  It got so bad that I switched to Satellite and the internet.  But in my opinion, that's why people get so heated about it cuz it's like it's the only option being forced on them.

R-Tistic - Being a DJ and all, of course you gotta cater to your crowd.  You gotta keep their ass on the floor, so I say play what they want, but sprinkle in some other shit just to expose them to a little somethin else every once in a while.

Jrome, I don't SCC was all that talented, especially lyrically. I liked some of their shit, but they never wowed me. Thats why I lump them with DFB and Joc and them. But nonetheless, what you have to remember is that me and you aren't the main consumer anymore. People our age (I'm assuming you're my age or older) have so much other shit to handle that music isn't a priority anymore. The main consumer is the youngsters. They like to hear Soulja Boy rap 4 bars, repeat, chant and then hit the chorus. They're about having a good time right now. They don't care about reciting lyrics, they care about getting down at the next party/club. It's a different time. Older cats look at it and laugh, just like our older heads laughed at us for sagging our pants and throwing up Westside cuz Cube and Pac did it.

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »
I'm not even gonna lie....I fucks with this song at the club fa sho.

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
I opened this thread thinkin it was gonna be Mo Thugs Soulja Boy

Visualize what you can't see

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:24 AM »
I opened this thread thinkin it was gonna be Mo Thugs Soulja Boy
well u know what, when I first heard from him on the radio I thought it was Mo Thugs Soulja Boy too. then I found out that was another dude.

I'm not even gonna lie....I fucks with this song at the club fa sho.

me too. Although I'm from the 90s music generation, I actually like this song it really makes a great club song. I actually dig those songs from boosie, unk, etc. of course I dont expect something great lyrically or even beat-wise. I just want something to bounce to and I think they do it pretty well.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »
It's only a few songs I just can't get into AT ALL.....DJing this summer, I didn't mind playing "Wipe me down" "Ay bay bay" and some of those tracks. This here is one of the only tracks that people nearly had to force me to play at first...especially because people who know me and my style know that I don't play shit just because it's "popular" but not good.

This is how I see it...if I played this track before everybody knew what it was, and before they knew it was a dance to it, they'd nearly kick me out, boo me, and at the least, completely stop dancing. However, the dance is the only thing that makes some people care about this song....and the fact that it caught on makes it seem better than it is. It is a pure novelty song, and people who aren't around to see it in it's prime will never feel it or think it's dope. There are many songs from the 90's that are novelty songs in this way that you could NEVER play at a club anymore, and that's how I feel this one is. It's a fad song, which means that at it's peak, it's much "hotter" (not better) than everything else out....but when it burns out, nobody will ever want to hear it again. On the other hand, songs like Keyshia Cole "Let it go" will still be just as good in a few years, even though it's not the hottest track out right now.