Poll

Which of the following will represent the next signature sound of the West, even if it's 3-5 years away?

Something that sounds very resmniscent to the 90's G-Funk, but just a grown up version. It will be just as laid back.
12 (19%)
Something that will grow from hyphy, and have more of a dance feeling to it, and may be more bare sounding than musical
2 (3.2%)
Something that will be sample based that may evolve from what the midwest and east are doing right now...but will have something distinct about it
4 (6.3%)
Something that will sound completely unique as the Neptunes and Timbaland did when they came out
2 (3.2%)
Something that won't really sound G-Funk, but will have strong west coast related elements mixed with elements of other coasts
16 (25.4%)
Whatever Dre does on Detox!
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......  (Read 757 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »
Well damn, this looks like a major problem to me.

Many of us are just sayin "wait on Dre" "Dre is the only one with the pull to do that" which makes sense and is all true to a point....but 8 years ago, Lil Jon wasn't here...Neptunes weren't here...Scott Storch wasn't here...and what I mean is that they were all starting off by doing songs for established artists, but none of them were at the level that they are now...so who's to say that we don't have someone right now who may end up getting to their level with their own sound that may be low key? It is bad that we are depending on someone to do something that seems to be a sure thing, but that might end up pushin us even further back. It does seem like many up and coming west coast producers are still doing beats that sound like 2001 or 2003-2005 Dre, old Battlecat, Lil Jon, Scott Stoch, Neptunes, and Kanye...versus trying something different and possibly forming their own sound. And many of us will turn down anything that doesn't "sound west coast" or doesn't remind you of Dre, Quik, or Battlecat, even though we could be listening to our own Timbaland or Pharell.

I can see why people would say that Dre's the only one who can come with something different enough to make noise nationwide...but look at how the other coasts ended up coming with their signature sounds...most of them were created by up and coming producers who came into the game on a different tip. I don't think the south was saying "ok, whatever Outkast does next will be the Atlanta sound"...Lil Jon, along with others, just kept coming with different shit, and they accepted all of it as their sound...and that's why their sound is so diverse and has caught so much attention, even if some of it is garbage to some people.

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 06:22:19 AM »
w/d Dre brings on Detox  :D

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »
I was thinking about this topic the other day, and just decided to up it....

From what I've seen in the last year, things have changed a little bit, but nothing major has happened...mainly because everyone still seems to be waiting on Dre, which is what I spoke against two posts earlier.

People outside of the West have started to identify the Hyphy sound as a west coast sound...and the majority of fans outside California still don't know much of a difference between L.A. and the Bay, even after the "MTV My Block" and all of that....so some of them will still ask L.A. people questions about Hyphy as if our rappers are on that tip. Even though that sound has died some, and it didn't blow up like people wanted it to...it has made an impact on the rest of the game. It's impossible to tell me that "Money in the bank" from Swizz doesn't sound like it came from Hyphy.

As far as L.A.'s sound...nothing much has really changed at all. We've barely had any singles or songs on radio, but we haven't heard anything that sounded much different either. "One blood" is a little bit what I was thinking when I mentioned a sampled song...but it wasn't distinct enough to start any sort of trend.

Overall....I still feel the way I did two posts ago....if we continue to wait on Dre, nothing at all is really going to happen.

Sanford - V. President of the Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The movement is Suckaa Free.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
its the hooks man, songs nowadays are valued in the mainstream if a 16yr old girl ridin in her BMW that her daddy bought her can recite a melodic catchy hook. 

Pick up 2 gats like Riley with a full 16 clip, on some sick shit like Lynch, while rippin a bitch's clit with beyonce's mouth on the tip of my dick.

Dangerous Crew Beeyatch!

187_gangsta_crip

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
I would love to hear tha old g-funk sounds on records nowadays, but it ain't popular no more and very less artists use it.. Sad but true...