Author Topic: DUBCNN: Kanye West Reaches "Graduation" (Review)  (Read 255 times)

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
DUBCNN: Kanye West Reaches "Graduation" (Review)
« on: September 11, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »
http://www.dubcnn.com
http://www.dubcnn.com/features/reviews/
http://www.dubcnn.com/features/reviews/graduation/

With the much-hyped 50 and Kanye 'sales war' now fully under way, there's no better time for DubCNN to review the new releases. We start off with our critique of Kanye West's Graduation. The latest album from the hugely talented producer and MC, Graduation has fiercely divided the Hip-Hop community. Rabid fans continue to debate where it ranks among 'Ye's illustrious back catalogue.

West's third opus receives the Dub Quotable: "With Graduation, he broadens his musical spectrum with hopes of delivering an album all listeners can agree upon as timeless." and earns a respectable Dub Rating. Read the whole thing by clicking below:

Kanye West - Graduation (Review)

For more recent reviews, including albums from UGK, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Redman, Damizza & Butch Cassidy, Bishop Lamont and Devin The Dude take some time to check out and then bookmark our Review Section. Stay tuned to DubCNN for our review of 50 Cent's Curtis also!

--

Feedback please, people! And, before you ask, yes, I did struggle with making the final score! :D
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Lil D

Re: DUBCNN: Kanye West Reaches "Graduation" (Review)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
propz man i agree with you the album isnt the best in the top 10 ever, but i do give kanye his propz for doing other things in this time hiphp has come too when its really mostly about cars/killing/drugs/guns/bitches & clubs. i was very disapointed in the lyrical content of the album, i really expected more songs like Big brother, but overal a very good album with some missers on there [Good Life, and the young jeezy sample on Cant Tell Me Nothing] but also very nice features [the song with coldplay]

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
Props DPG.

At first I was really impressed with the album, thought it was amazing, except for 3 tracks. But the more I listen to it, more bored I get.

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:34:10 PM »
propz man i agree with you the album isnt the best in the top 10 ever, but i do give kanye his propz for doing other things in this time hiphp has come too when its really mostly about cars/killing/drugs/guns/bitches & clubs. i was very disapointed in the lyrical content of the album, i really expected more songs like Big brother, but overal a very good album with some missers on there [Good Life, and the young jeezy sample on Cant Tell Me Nothing] but also very nice features [the song with coldplay]

Thanks for the feedback from both you guys. Always nice to get responses like that as opposed to, "WTF? This was the best/worst album ever! It deserved much more/less!" Although people are of course free to post that too! ;D

Yeah, I found the lyrical content to be a little lacking in areas also. What also got me thinking was the new, dance-oriented style of production 'Ye's adopted. In some instances, I really appreciate it ("Stronger") but in others ("Good Life," as you mentioned) it sounds far too 'copycat' for a supposed trendsetter like Kanye. The album has it's standouts, though - "Big Brother" is great (although I, for one, think dude was heavily influenced by Game's "Doctor's Advocate") and "Can't Tell Me Nothin'" is vintage 'Ye in the Late Registration and College Dropout sense. Enjoyable album, overall...just not that next ish I was hoping for.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

devil_may_care

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »
Good review. I personally would be more inclined to go for a 4 or maybe more. This album shows a musical depth which cannot be found in not only his last two efforts but in any modern hip hop. However, Kanye does not focus as much on his lyrics as he did in his last two albums and that let Graduation down. The relative shortness of the LP means Kanye had little room to expand and talk about other subjects (e.g. - Spaceship, Roses, Diamonds) and he sticks to essentially the same topics.

Those who are more inclined to listen to an album primarily for the lyrics will probably be disappointed - however I believe if you're looking for an album delving into previously unexplored territory then you will be pleasantly surprised.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:55:13 PM »
Props Conan, I really liked this review.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 02:21:35 AM »
Good review, even though I like the album a bit more. But like you said, the new production style pays off really well on some cuts, on others you miss those sped up soul samples. On some cuts Kanye comes off that respectable MC he wants to be, on some he doesn't. IMO the pros outweigh the cons, resulting in a 4/5 score from me. Dope album in my opinion, but it's not his best work.

That Drunk and Hot Girls cut is just wack though...