Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 23882 times)

h2k4

Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »
"Ban" tusken Raider for spamming with "cell phone ads."

LOL!

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
News;

Nokia 5800 “Tube” Poses for Some Dirty Pics
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/26/nokia-5800-tube-poses-for-some-dirty-pics/

Ok seriously.
If you’re going release some leaked handset shots on the internet and you know they’re going to spread like wildfire,
the least you can do is hose that sucker off. Come on guys, it looks like Darryl Jenks got his hands on the Tube and Soul Glo-ed it all up.
Whatever the case may be, these pics came from half way around the world so the least we can do is check them out, right?
Here it is; Nokia’s upcoming mid-range 5800 XpressMusic aka Tube in all of its greasy glory.

There are also some interesting additions to the specs, which currently line up as follows:
Measurements: 111 × 52 × 14.5 mm, and weighs only 104 grams.
16 million color TFT LCD, 640 × 360 pixel resolution, 16:9 display mode
Haptic feedback
3.2 megapixel camera, Carl Zeiss optics with autofocus
Dual LED flash
Built-in GPS
140 MB RAM
GSM / GPRS / EDGE / WCDMA / HSDPA / WLAN / Bluetooth
3.5 mm audio jack, TV-out
BL-5J 1150 mAh battery

All things considered, it could shape up to be a pretty hot little handset.
We’re really hoping that those are some pre-release graphics though, especially on the keypad shots.
It would be a shame to waste that fantastic 640 × 360 resolution on Windows 3.1-looking buttons.
Hit the jump to see what we’re talking about.

Freeware Call Manager for Symbian OS
http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_3rd/descriptions/calling/call_filter_freeware_call_utility.htm

Tired of answering phone calls? Than let Call Filter to hang up the call for you. It is the classic black lister that sends busy signal to unwanted incoming.

Call Filter is a utility application realised under the concept "Simple Yet Efficient" for your Symbian devices.

It allows you to hang-up any incoming calls from contacts selected as a filter rule in main application screen. Gives you a very convenient and quick access to block/unblock some phone number at runtime.

This is convenient in situations when your BOSS is always on your head and you don't want to answer his call at certain moments during the day, it takes a few clicks and you are done blocking your BOSS calls. The logs screen maintains a list of rejected calls and allows placing a quick call or an sms to the rejected phone number. So this is what we call "Simple Yet Efficient".

The rules screen allowing users to add any contact or a phone number that shall be rejected automatically. As soon as a rule is added it is set as active, note the green light, later if you would like to allow incoming calls from this number tap the light and that particular rule would become inactive.

Logs screen allows you to have a very quick look to the calls that were rejected by the Call Filter application with time stamps and the date.

Basic Featuers:
Blocks unwanted calls
Allows block/unblock calls on the go ..
Maintains a log of rejected calls .. and allows to send an sms or make a call to the rejected caller immediately !
The best of all .... its all at no cost ...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:06:15 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SuperTight
« Reply #552 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »
So i've had the Diamond for more than a couple of weeks now...and its dope. Battery life is pretty much the same as my Blackberry Pearl if im using all of its power...which is a day. I charge it every night. Im thinkin about getting that battery to see if it extends it..but i charge it everynight so i don't know if theres any point....no expandle memory is gay..but thats why i got an ipod. haha...and it pretty much runs just as fast my buddy's Iphone (which isn't G3)...so i need to use the new iphone to really tell if its slower

Otherwise..its a great buy...im the only one who has it haha. fuck an iphone
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #553 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
got the HTC diamond...sick!!!

HTC Touch Diamond hands-on Review
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/05/htc-touch-diamond-hands-on.html

It’s finally here! The good folks at HTC have been good enough to send over an HTC Touch Diamond for consideration. I’ve been playing with this handsome little phone for the past few days, and let me just say, it’s the slickest Windows Mobile handset that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using - which is saying a lot.

Compared to my iPhone 3G (a comparison that is inevitable in today’s market), the HTC Touch Diamond is just soo much smaller and compact that I’m inclined to refer to it as “cute.” But, don’t let its svelte profile fool you, the Touch Diamond is about as good as it gets in the touchscreen smartphone world.

TouchFLO 3D is as easy on the eyes as it is on your fingers. Swiping theinterface slides the homescreen to different sets of functions - web, programs, weather, etc. The touchscreen is pressure sensitive but seems to have been calibrated to feel like a capacitance display. The lightest of screen-presses is all that’s required to register a touch-input.

GPS locks on relatively quickly, and is accurate enough to navigate my way around Old Town Pasadena by foot. Google Maps integration allows you to cross-reference search results and even call the business that you just looked up.

The on-screen virtual keyboard looks like it’s too small to use at first, but has proven to be quite usable. I may have an unfair advantage from my year of training on the iPhone’s industry-leading virtual keyboard, but that doesn’t detract from how well HTC has managed to design their compact keyboard (although, stubby-fingered users may have more difficulty using the keyboard).

And, let’s not forget the beautiful VGA display. There’s nothing like a side-by-side image comparison with the iPhone’s 3.5″ display to really highlight how much more crisp images look on the HTC Touch Diamond’s screen. Check the gallery below for some comparison shots.

The phone is dope,going to be HUGE success for HTC. I heard the battery life was a little bad so...;
HTC Touch Diamond extended battery available to pre-order
http://www.mobile-review.com/fullnews/main/index_eng.shtml

In the first part of out HTC Touch Diamond review,
we made a point about the insufficient battery life of HTC’s Diamond.
So, the inevitable has happened,
online retailer Expansys is offering an extended battery for the Touch Diamond,
although Expansys doesn’t state the capacity, another retailer states it’s 1800 mAh, against the Diamond’s original 900 mAh.

No release date is given, but it can’t be too far off of the horizon.

^^^it just came in two days ago,haven't even opened the box yet lol,gonna use it this weekend... ^^^
then I'll post a review in a week.. to see how it holds up haha

Cool,looking forward to it. EDIT; How did your "week" with your new toy go?
I have just browsed some reviews of it quick.

The pros was; (as far as I can remember)
-a beautiful UI (like iPhone)

The cons was; (as far as I can remember)
-slower than iPhone (a little)  :P
-bad battery (like iPhone 3G)
-not expandable memory (like iPhone)

in meanwhile you can check out; EDIT; part 2 is up
Mobile-Review.Com's review of the HTC Touch Diamond part 1
Mobile-Review.Com's review of the HTC Touch Diamond part 2 (TouchFLO 3D and software)

So i've had the Diamond for more than a couple of weeks now...and its dope.
Battery life is pretty much the same as my Blackberry Pearl if im using all of its power...which is a day.
I charge it every night. Im thinkin about getting that battery to see if it extends it..but i charge it everynight so i don't know if theres any point....
no expandle memory is gay..but thats why i got an ipod. haha...and it pretty much runs just as fast my buddy's Iphone (which isn't G3)...
so i need to use the new iphone to really tell if its slower

Otherwise..its a great buy...im the only one who has it haha. fuck an iphone

A day is normal for 3G phones,I got 3 batteries for my phone (Nokia N82)  :P....
Strange that they didn´t include a slot for memory cards  :-\,anyway I read (I believe on www.intomobile.com)
that there´s a software update so it will run faster.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:52:49 AM by tusken RAIDEr »

E. J. Rizo

• The "Mac" Daddy
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #554 on: August 11, 2008, 10:32:04 PM »
so i have had the new iPhone 3G since thursday and its not really worth the upgrade if you anyone is planning on it... seeing as i am always around WiFi and the GPS is just ok.... but the Speakers are better... the calls seem better and the speaker for other stuff like music and games....

3G is really fast compared to edge...

to upgrade it would cost $199 plus tax plus an extra $10 for unlimited data and $5 for 200 text messages (compared to old iPhone plan) which equals about $360 for 2 years that plus the cost of phone $200 makes it a $560 upgrade. over 2 years

now saying all that i upgraded for free... friend traded me the phone for my old one since he wanted to use t-mobile ... unlocked my old phone for him and i kept the new 3G and i didnt have to get a new contract and still under my old plan.

but overall it is a great phone... just saying that if you have the original iphone its not that much of an improvement.... if you have never had an iPhone .... it is worth it... best phone on the market IMO
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:39:28 PM by E. J. Rizo »

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #555 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:42 AM »
so i have had the new iPhone 3G since thursday and its not really worth the upgrade if you anyone is planning on it... seeing as i am always around WiFi and the GPS is just ok.... but the Speakers are better... the calls seem better and the speaker for other stuff like music and games....

3G is really fast compared to edge...

to upgrade it would cost $199 plus tax plus an extra $10 for unlimited data and $5 for 200 text messages (compared to old iPhone plan) which equals about $360 for 2 years that plus the cost of phone $200 makes it a $560 upgrade. over 2 years

now saying all that i upgraded for free... friend traded me the phone for my old one since he wanted to use t-mobile ... unlocked my old phone for him and i kept the new 3G and i didnt have to get a new contract and still under my old plan.

but overall it is a great phone... just saying that if you have the original iphone its not that much of an improvement.... if you have never had an iPhone .... it is worth it... best phone on the market IMO

Im thinking of selling my Shine and picking up an iPhone within the next week. But its fuckin rape for us over here in Canada, data plans are brutal!!!

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #556 on: August 19, 2008, 02:07:29 AM »
i'm still happy w/ my OG Iphone...but the screen sensitivity is weak at times. Is it possible to adjust it? I need instructions on doing this if so.

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #557 on: August 19, 2008, 11:50:54 PM »
Any word on how much the Blackberry Bold is going to be under a 3 year contract with Rogers? Im hearing $300-400, thats a fuckin rip off!!!

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #558 on: August 20, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
Any word on how much the Blackberry Bold is going to be under a 3 year contract with Rogers?
I'm hearing $300-400, thats a fucking rip off!!!

Nah,I don't believe that.. with a 3 year contract it should be "free".
The most likely scenario is that it will be around 500-700$ without contract and close to nothing with a 3 year contract.
www.intomobile.com post updates from Canada,so you might want to check there.

Damn for real? Well its suppose to come out tommorow so we'll see. I might even pick it up even if its $200 on a 3-year which i honestly think is going to be the cheapest it will be. It looks fuckin sick, if its anymore im gonna pick up the iphone tommorow!!!

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #559 on: August 20, 2008, 02:45:13 PM »
I just got a Rogers Flyer in the mail and it says the Bold is $399 on a 3 year contract LMFAO. They can suck my dick!!!

E. J. Rizo

• The "Mac" Daddy
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #560 on: August 20, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
i'm still happy w/ my OG Iphone...but the screen sensitivity is weak at times. Is it possible to adjust it? I need instructions on doing this if so.
no calibration or anything of that sort that i know of... but i have also never really heard of it loosing sensitivity... did yours lose sensitivity or just always been that way?

every iphone i have played with has worked fine... but im sure there is exceptions... if its really bothering you, set up and appointment with a apple Genious.

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #561 on: August 20, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
Just ordered me a iPhone 3G, should be here in 3-5 business days. Anything i should know about it? Yall gotta help me out with some shit like installing apps n shit!!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:11:32 PM by AnybodyKilla »

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Westside!
« Reply #562 on: August 20, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »
Just ordered me a iPhone 3G, should be here in 3-5 business days. Anything i should know about it? Yall gotta help me out with some shit like installing apps n shit!!!

Installing Apps is really easy.  You need iTunes and you download them from the iTunes Store...
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGenre?id=36&mt=8

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »

Installing Apps is really easy.  You need iTunes and you download them from the iTunes Store...

Propz man. I use iTunes for all my music too, so thats good. Anything else i need to know? I got the 6GB $30 data plan for mine. Does it say how much data ive used or how do i find out?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:17:02 PM by AnybodyKilla »

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #564 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:43 AM »
no calibration or anything of that sort that i know of... but i have also never really heard of it loosing sensitivity... did yours lose sensitivity or just always been that way?

every iphone i have played with has worked fine... but im sure there is exceptions... if its really bothering you, set up and appointment with a apple Genious.

I've had this phone since last Nov. It was working fine up until the last couple months. The problem is occurs in mainly one spot (upper left corner) that is defective at random times. Ex. When I'm in the 'Now Playing' screen in the Ipod, I can't go back to my Playlist unless I fully exit to the Main Menu before returning back to the Ipod..The funny thing is that it actually works fine at times. I guess i'm gona have to take your advice and make an appointment to get this checked out..thankx man, i appreciate ur help!!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:18:01 AM by ANIKI »

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #565 on: August 21, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

Propz man. I use iTunes for all my music too, so thats good. Anything else i need to know? I got the 6GB $30 data plan for mine. Does it say how much data ive used or how do i find out?

Yeah, it'll tell u in Itunes how much data you have used/remaining..6Gb is less than 1500 songs depending on the quality of ur songs.

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Westside!
« Reply #566 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »
I'm in the U.S. using AT&T's unlimited data download/transfer.

However, if you are limited to 6GB download/transfer, I think that is more than enough.  But then again, I have an OG iPhone... not 3G... so I'm not sure how much data I would burn through with the increased speeds.  I still don't think I would ever get close to 6GB/month on the phone.

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Westside!
« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2008, 10:52:28 AM »

There is a "Usage" screen that tells you how much data you've sent and received.  This screen is in Settings > General > Usage.

AnybodyKilla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • SERVIN EM HEAT!!!
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2008, 01:07:52 PM »

Yeah, it'll tell u in Itunes how much data you have used/remaining..6Gb is less than 1500 songs depending on the quality of ur songs.

I was talking about the data not the memorey, the memorey is 8GB's which is more then enough for songs. Thanks guys!!!

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2008, 08:24:21 AM »
I just got a Rogers Flyer in the mail and it says the Bold is $399 on a 3 year contract LMFAO. They can suck my dick!!!

The BlackBerry Bold gets official on Rogers
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/21/the-blackberry-bold-gets-official-on-rogers/

Sure, we've seen John Mayer's, done a hands-on, read reviews, gotten release dates and even listened to the painful Stewart Copeland-provided soundtrack, but today's the BlackBerry Bold's big coming out party on Rogers, and it can be all yours for just CA$399 plus a 3 year voice / data service plan totalling more than CA$45 a month. We should be seeing more countries come online later this week -- anyone taking the plunge?

That´s a rip off  :o,I can´t believe it. Ohhh well...  :-X :-\

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #570 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »
News;

Casio G'zOne Boulder Mil-Spec Cellphone Crammed with GPS, Compass, Lantern and More
http://gizmodo.com/5030089/casio-gzone-boulder-mil+spec-cellphone-crammed-with-gps-compass-lantern-and-more

Casio's G'zOne rugged-ass cellphone has been updated yet again, and this time it's called the Boulder. The Mil-Spec clamshell's got GPS, a 1.3MP camera, an LED lantern, microSD support and a digital compass in its shock-, dust- and water-resistant frame. The Boulder is out now in black or orange for $130 after 2-year Verizon Wireless contract and $50 mail-in rebate, full press release down below. [Verizon]

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – The company with the nation’s most reliable wireless network today introduced the G’zOne Boulder™ – the newest Push to Talk phone that is exclusively available through Verizon Wireless. This rough and tough phone is built to military specifications to withstand shock, water and dust environments. The G’zOne Boulder provides customers with access to Verizon Wireless’ Push to Talk service that uses the company’s Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Revision A (Rev. A) network to ensure customers can get their jobs done quickly and efficiently. Packaged in two smart-looking finishes – black and silver or orange – the G’zOne Boulder is now available online at www.verizonwireless.com and through business sales channels. The phone will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in mid-August.

Leveraging EV-DO Rev. A technology, Push to Talk from Verizon Wireless provides customers with fast two-way communication – all with the assurance of a reliable network so customers can instantly connect to colleagues and friends. Additionally, the G’zOne Boulder supports a number of productivity tools and entertainment services from Verizon Wireless including VZ NavigatorSM, Field Force Manager, V CAST Music with Rhapsody and V CAST Video.

The G’zOne Boulder comes with the following features and capabilities:

* Rugged design that meets military specifications – 810F standards for water, shock and dust resistance; immersion; vibration, salt fog; humidity; solar radiation; altitude; and low and high temperature storage
* Flashlight
* Electronic compass
* VZ Navigator-capable – audible maps, turn-by-turn directions and location information to more than 14 million points of interest that customers can share with others
* Field Force Manager-capable – a resource management tool that provides businesses with the ability to locate, monitor and communicate with their mobile field workers
* 1.3 megapixel camera to conveniently capture an afternoon hike or a night on the town
* V CAST Music with Rhapsody-capable – download music directly to the phone from a library of more than 5 million songs and get the master copy of the song on a PC free of digital rights management software that restricts how and where music can be played. Customers can also sync favorite tracks, albums and playlists from a PC.
* Music player for .mp3, .wma, unprotected .aac and unprotected .aac+ formats
* Create and manage playlists and sync music from a PC to the G’zOne Boulder
* Carry music on an optional microSD™ card up to 8 GB (microSD card sold separately)
* Supports the following Bluetooth® profiles – headset, hands-free (car kits), dial-up networking, advanced audio distribution profile (stereo), audio/visual remote control profile, object push profile for vCard, object exchange profiles for phonebook access profiles, generic audio/video distribution profile, audio/visual distribution protocol, and audio/visual control transport protocol
* Advanced speech recognition with dedicated voice dial key
* Alarm clock, calculator, calendar, stop watch, countdown, timer, world clock, electronic compass
* Voice commands
* Speakerphone with dedicated speakerphone key
* Bilingual interface – English and Spanish language
* Phonebook with up to 500 entries with multiple contacts
* TTY compatible
* Hearing aid compatibility = M4/T4
* Display:
o Main: 2.0” 240 x 320 TFT display with up to 65K colors
o External: 1.2” 96 x 96 Mono STN display
* Dimensions: 3.9” x 2.0” x 0.9”
* Weight: 4.9 ounces
* SAR:
o Head: 1.04 W/kg
o Body: 0.489 W/kg
* Usage time: up to 214 minutes or
* Standby time: up to 63 hours

The G’zOne Boulder is available for $129.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate and a new two-year customer agreement. Corporate discount pricing is available. In addition, customers may choose to purchase the G’zOne Boulder without a camera in silver and black, available today through business sales channels and through the company’s online store.

Verizon Wireless customers can add Unlimited Push to Talk to their G’zOne Boulder for $5 per month, per line to any Nationwide voice plan.

For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com. Business customers should call 1-800-VZW-4BIZ or contact their Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representative.

Motorola Atila - Moto’s touchscreen answer to Apple’s iPhone 3G
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/11/motorola-atila-motos-touchscreen-answer-to-apples-iphone-3g.html

Meet the Motorola Atila. This here all-touchscreen handset is reportedly Motorola’s touchy-feely answer to Apple’s iPhone 3G. The Motorola Atila is apparently borne of the same gene pool that created the Motorola Alexander. Thankfully, the Motorola Atila that you see pictured here nixes that too-weird sliding QWERTY keyboard on the Motorola Alexander.

The Motorola Atila boasts a quad-band (850/900/1800/1900Mhz) GSM/EDGE radio with a right-proper tri-band (850/1900/2100Mhz) UMTS/HSPA radio that should have the touchscreen device pulling down wireless data at true-blue 3G data speeds. Following on the Motorola MOTOZINE ZN5’s abysmal lack of 3G data connectivity, we’re glad to see that Moto is pulling out all the stops and actually endowing their iPhone 3G-fighter with high-speed data speeds.

And, to take things right to the iPhone’s doorstep, the Motorola Atila will reportedly feature a 2.8-inch QVGA touchscreen display. Add to that some WiFi, Windows Mobile 6.1 and 7.2Mbps HSDPA with 1.8Mbps HSUPA for broadband-like data speeds on both the downstream and uplink, and you’ve got the makings of a seriously competent smartphone. The Motorola Atila even sports a design aesthetic the likes of which we haven’t seen from Motorola in a while. Whether the Motorola Atila can prove to capture a significant share of the touchscreen smartphone market, where handsets like the iPhone 3G, HTC Touch Diamond, and Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 are expected to reign king, remains to be seen.

Here’s a quick rundown of the Motorola Atila’s spec sheet:
Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
Qualcomm 7201A chipset
Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900Mhz) GSM/EDGE
Tri-band (850/1900/2100MHz) UMTS/HSPA
7.2Mbps HSDPA, 1.8Mbps HSUPA
WiFi b/g
2.8? QVGA 240 x 320 screen
1130mAh battery

High-end Samsung i7110 leaked Symbian powered

Whilst not as high-end as Samsung’s recently announced INNOV8 eight MP cameraphone, the leaked i7110 seems to be a pretty decent phone.

Though, it’s not currently known if it boasts either Wi-Fi or GPS, the relatively short known specs list is as follows:
Five megapixel camera, with LED Flash
QVGA display, showing up to 262K colors
Symbian OS
Memory card slot (presumably MicroSD)
Extras: Optical mouse – ala i900 Omnia (allows moving a mouse pointer around the screen by pressing the navigation key), FM Radio, and Bluetooth

Sony Ericsson depletes stash of product names, announces slim T700 phone
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/07/sony-ericsson-announces-slim-t700-phone/

Yippee, it's T700 day at Sony. First they launched the DSC-T700 digicam, now the T700 cellphone. The T700 candybar is mostly phone though with a smattering of camera just for kicks. We're talking quad-band GSM and UMTS/HSDPA 2100 with 4.5-hours of 3G talk and a 3.2 megapixel camera with cell-id geotagging and photo light. It measures just 10-mm thin with Bluetooth A2DP, stereo speakers, 2-inch TFT LCD, and 512MB of Memory Stick Micro (M2) storage tossed in the box. Available in "select markets" in Q4 for what's expected to be a middling price tag.

Sony Ericsson G705 leaked!
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/29/sony-ericsson-g705-leaked.html

What we have here is the still unannounced Sony Ericsson G705.
From what we can tell, it’s a mid-range slider running a A2 (A200) platform and also boasting a 3.2 megapixel camera.
And that’s about all we know at this stage.
However, it’s fair to add it will also come with Bluetooth support, some media player, as well as Memory Stick Micro (M2) expansion slot.
We’ll report more as soon as we get some additional info. In the meantime, check out more photos after the jump.

Hands-on Samsung Omnia i900 (Windows Mobile powered)
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/25/hands-on-samsung-omnia-i900.html

iPhone hype be damned.
Samsung isn't about to sit back and watch Apple and HTC steal the stage this year with the iPhone 3G and HTC Touch Diamond.
South Korea's handset manufacturing giant is preparing their Samsung Omnia i900 to go head-to-head with the big-guns from Apple and HTC.
And, with features like:

3.2-inch touchscreen
Divx certification (with H.263, H.264 support)
5 megapixel camera with face-detection and geo-tagging
Quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900Mhz) radio
HSDPA (7.2Mbps)
GPS
WiFi
Bluetooth 2.0
8GB or 16GB of onboard storage microSDHC for up to 16GB of additional storage
FM radio (with RDS)

The 12.5mm thick Samsung Omnia is surely going to give Apple a run for its iPhone 3G-money.
AT&T is rumored to be picking up this handsome handset in Q3 2008, and Germany is slated to take shipment of the Omnia in August.

So, with the Samsung Omnia i900 spec'ed-out in production-trim,
the::unwired has posted a hands-on review of the Samsung Omnia with the finalized software on board.
Samsung's Windows Mobile overlay tries its best to bring the aging Windows Mobile platform up to date on the touchscreen tip, but falls short. Otherwise, the Omnia's feature-set is definitely not something to brush aside - this thing is a powerhouse.

In the end, the::unwired came away impressed with the handset's powerful feature-set and sleek styling.
But, the custom Windows Mobile touch-UI from Samsung isn't quite up to snuff among competitors like
HTC's TouchFLO 3D UI that we've seen on the HTC Touch Diamond.

Head on over to the::unwired for the full review.
There's also a video of the Omnia's UI in action here.
http://www.theunwired.net/?item=videoview-software-hands-on-with-the-final-samsung-sgh-i900-omnia-open-market-rom

Samsung i8510 announced, re-named INNOV8 (Symbian)

Tech specs are as follows:
Connectivity: Quad-band GSM, and dual-band WCDMA
Operating System: Symbian 9.3 S60 3rd Edition FP2
Display: 2.8", QVGA resolution showing up to sixteen million colours

Camera: Eight megapixels, with autofocus, image stabilization and face, smile, and blink detection, Dual LED Flash
Video recording: QVGA @ 120 fps or VGA @ 30fps, with built-in editor

Memory: comes in two types – one with 8, and one with 16GB internal memory, both expandable with Micro SDHC – up to 16GB cards, ala the i900
Extras: Built-in GPS receiver and accelerometer, Bluetooth version 2.0, with A2DP support,stereo speakers, with 3D sound, DivX video playback, Wi-Fi, FM Radio, with RDS, DLNA, 3.5 mm jack
  :o

Dimensions: 106.5x53.9x17.2 mm
Battery: 1200 mAh

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Japanese iPhone 3G magazines for your reading pleasure
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/19/japanese-iphone-3g-magazines-for-your-reading-pleasure.html

At least that’s what we can infer from the new Japanese magazines dedicated to the barely month-old iPhone 3G.
There are undoubtedly a good number of Japanese feature-phone fans that just can’t justify leaving behind their
NFC- and mobile TV-enabled devices for the iPhone 3G.
But, with no less than four different iPhone 3G magazines gracing Japanese newsstands, it’s clear that there’s a healthy iPhone 3G market in japan.

For comparison, the US - one of the largest iPhone 3G markets -  doesn’t have a single magazine dedicated to the iPhone 3G.
Sure, there are Mac publications that cover the iPhone 3G, but those print publications cover much more in the Apple-world than just the second-generation handset.

So, when are the iPhone 3G magazines going to hit the US? Um, do online publications count?

RIM Blackberry 8210/8220 specs leaked

Internet retailer Expansys has leaked Blackberry's upcoming 8210 handset - the company's first Blackberry to utilise the clamshell form factor.
Images have been surfacing for a while, but now, this is the first time full, seemingly official specs have been leaked...albeit not by RIM themselves,
but, there you go. On the site, there is the 8210, and 8220 handset, the only difference being is that the 8210 features A-GPS,
whereas the 8220 features Wi-Fi connectivity. Both handsets will be available in both black, or red colour schemes.

Tech specs are as follows:
Connectivity: Quad band GSM
Display: Internal: 2.6", QVGA resolution, exterior: 128 x 160 pixels resolution
Camera: 2 MP, with autofocus, and LED Flash
Memory: 75MB internal, with MicroSD HC slot
Extras: Bluetooth 2.0, Micro USB connector, A-GPS (8210), Wi-Fi (8220)
Battery: 900 mAh,
Dimensions: 101.6 x 50.8 x 17.18 mm,
Weight: 101.2 grams

Samsung showcases YA-SBR510 Bluetooth speaker
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/12/samsung-showcases-ya-sbr510-bluetooth-speaker/

Samsung already loosed a 3-channel Bluetooth speaker earlier this year, but apparently, one just isn't enough. The company has now introduced its YA-SBR510 over in South Korea, which streams audio from BT-enabled players and includes a 3.5-millimeter auxiliary jack for hooking up just about everything else. A tad pricey at €150 ($222), but it's a total bargain should it come bundled with that oh-so-furry rug. Sammy, care to comment?

Samsung's YA-BS900 Hyper 3-channel Bluetooth speaker gets official
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/samsungs-ya-bs900-hyper-3-channel-bluetooth-speaker-gets-offici/

Recall that curious "3-channel" speaker we peeked back in November? Turns out, Samsung was saving the good stuff for CES, and now we're being blessed with a whole heap of official details. The YA-BS900 speaker automatically connects to your BT-enabled PMP / handset / etc. and features Bluetooth 2.1, a motion detector to power on the system when a paired device comes near, 30-watts of power and a USB port for playing tunes stored on a flash drive. Furthermore, it even boasts automatic volume reduction when a call comes in on your paired mobile, and while the onboard touch controls are fine and dandy, we'd certainly take advantage of that remote if we were you. Sadly, this beauty won't be available for two more months, and as if that weren't depressing enough, it'll cost you a staggering $399 when March finally does roll around.

i199BLK High-fidelity multimedia system with BluePin for your iPod
http://www.i-luv.com/iLuv/product_info.php?products_id=305

Model: i199BLK
Made for:
iPod - touch, classic, nano, 5G, nano 2G
$199.99

Enjoy some wireless give-and-take with this mini audio system
   What it brings to you is clear quality sound using jAuraTM acoustic speaker technology playing music from your iPod, CDs, MP3 CDs, USB or AM/FM radio. What you bring is music from an audio device, computer, mobile phone, etc. designed with Bluetooth wireless technology and,
thanks to the BluePinTM wireless audio transmitter/receiver, that too can be played through the system.
In return, you can listen to music in your room wirelessly on headphones or speakers equipped with Bluetooth wireless technology.
It\\\'s give-and-take. Your music can put you to sleep or wake you up and you can always know the song title and artist on an MP3 track if it has an ID3 tag.
With the AV output, you can even send video content from your iPod to a TV. This system gives you a lot, and you can give a little something in return.

KDDI's Concept Cellphone is Half Transformer, Half Musical Box
http://gizmodo.com/5039818/kddis-concept-cellphone-is-half-transformer-half-musical-box

The KDDI AU Design Project bunch over in Japan have stumped up with this latest concept phone for music cellphones of the future. And it blends two things we like a Giz: funky cellphone tech and Transformers. In fact Box To Play is less "robot in disguise," and more "hi-fi in disguise" because when it's a phone, it's a normal phone--keypad, camera and such--but when it transforms it's its own speaker system with a graphical visualizer around its faces. Neat, and exactly the sort of innovative design I'd like to see in future phones. Check out the movie of the concept in action at the KDDI link.

8 megapixel LG KC910 announced, comes with Wi-Fi and GPS
http://www.gsmarena.com/8_megapixel_lg_kc910_announced_comes_with_wifi_and_gps-news-573.php

Today LG announced their latest touch-based all-in-one phone - the LG KC910.
Coming as a successor of the widely popular LG KU990 Viewty, the KC910 is a real multimedia powerhouse, packing a whole load of extras.

Equipped with an 8 megapixel auto focus camera the LG KC910 is the first feature phone of the company to sport Wi-Fi connectivity.
In addition it extends the functionality of the Viewty with GPS, which allows geo-tagging of the photos.

The camera of theKC910 uses Schneider-Kreuznach optics and has a protective cover.
The sweet VGA videos at 30 fps and slow motion 120 fps QVGA videos are also there.
A xenon flash is also on board to facilitate photography in low-light conditions.
The display of the new LG will be a 3" 262K color one with a resolution of 240 x 400 pixels.

Connectivity is also duly covered in the LG KC910, which has support for all the four GSM bands.
3G with HSDPA is also available and so are Bluetooth and USB.
The final extras of the KC910 include microSD card slot, TV-out support, Xvid and DivX video playback and Dolby sound for the music.

All in all, the LG KC910 is rather similar to the other recently announced 8 megapixel phones as far as the specs sheets are concerned.
The Samsung i8510 INNOV8 and the Sony Ericsson C905 are on par with the KC910,
except for the lack of touchscreen functionality and the fact that the Samsung packs Symbian OS.
Also, LG KC910 is only 14mm thick as opposed to 17.2mm of the INNOV8 and 19.5mm of the C905.

LG KC910 is expected to hit the shelves as early as October this year. Unfortunately, there is no information regarding its pricing yet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:50:31 AM by tusken RAIDEr »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #571 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:17 AM »
News

The 01phone (?)
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/24/the-01-phone-coming-in-27-days-wait-what-is-the-01-phone/
http://www.the01phone.com/

Here it is folks, the handset of your dreams!
A sexy touchscreen device with a slide-out laser projector keyboard, 32 GB of internal storage, 3G and a 5 megapixel camera are among the specs.
Amazing right? T3 got the scoop on this little puppy this past Friday and it looks like a hell of a contender.
But wait. There is no reference on the 01 website in terms of who the manufacturer might be and no specs are given at all.
In fact, all there is on the site is a countdown timer. So umm, how did T3 get the specs on this bad boy?
Oh yeah, that’s right… It’s fake. A quick whois shows that the 01 Phone website was registered by the British company Future Publishing.
Yeah they also happen to run T3, the site that got the scoop on this amazingly fake handset.
So there are one of two possibilities as far as we can tell:
Either this tiny gadget blog is pulling a Techcrunch and getting into the hardware manufacturing business, or this is a pretty unethical attempt to boost traffic.
As such we’re not even going to link them. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t check them out of course.
In fact, we have word that next week they may run a scoop on an upcoming $200 UMPC with 10GB of RAM, a 2 TB hard drive and an integrated dish washer.
Hot!

Too bad it´s probably fake  :-\

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #572 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »
News

Nokia launches the N79 and N85
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/25/nokia-launches-the-n79-and-n85/

Nokia promised us two new handsets today, and just as we heard last week, it's the N85 and N79. Not a lot of surprises with the N85 since it popped in the FCC database a couple weeks ago and started appearing in the wild: 2.6-inch AMOLED screen, GPS, five megapixel cam, N-Gage compatibility, 8GB of microSDHC storage, WiFi, and a 28-hour music playback battery life. The N79 replaces the N78, similarly bumping the cam to the big five em-pees with a dual-LED flash, GPS, 4GB microSDHC storage, WiFi, swappable back covers, and a 24-hour music playback battery life. Should be out in the UK as of next month, but we're hoping to see these hit our fair shores posthaste. N79 pictured after the break.

AOL’s AIM client for Windows Mobile exits beta stage
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/25/aols-aim-client-for-windows-mobile-exits-beta-stage.html

AOL has recently announced that its AIM Windows Mobile client is out of beta. The application is perfect for those who rely heavily on AIM for their instant messaging activities.

Not surprisingly, AOL touts the app as the one that provides users with “best-in-class experience.” Features include real-time status updates and contacts management (Buddy List and Buddy Groups); plus it [the application] can be used to send text messages to mobile users in the U.S. — a feature that could potentially bring significant cost savings to some people.

To download AIM for Windows Mobile, hop over to wap.aol.com in your mobile browser, click on “Products”, then “AIM for Windows Mobile!”, and you’re ready to go. Alternatively, you can visit this page on AOL’s website and download the “.cab” file to your computer, and then install it on your Windows Mobile smartphone.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #573 on: August 25, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
News

XPERIA X1 - first Windows Mobile device by Sony Ericsson REVIEW
http://smape.com/en/reviews//Sony_Ericsson_XPERIA_X1-prev.html

Due to historical reasons, the WM platform has been largely attributed with being a niche solution should we judge on a global scale encompassing the whole telecom market. The sales of WM products remain on a stably low level despite of all Microsoft’s efforts to promote WM (which might look a bit strange given the variety of vendors designing WM products). The most notable WM vendor, HTC, can hardly compete with any of the top five telecom vendors from Nokia to Sony Ericsson. Sony Ericsson and Samsung have recently increased their activity in the WM segment, taking an interest in developing WM-based models.

The Korean giant has presented the top-class i900 model equipped with a 5 Mp camera, fit enough to challenge even Touch Diamond by HTC (see Samsung i900 Omnia/WiTu, first impressions. Comparison with Diamond and iPhone). Sony Ericsson are making a landfall on the WM market niche, launching their brand new XPERIA product line comprising a number of PDA models, of which X1 is planned to be the first to see the daylight. The gadget is remarkable for being ODM-produced by HTC and has a close native analog Touch Pro tailored and sold by HTC themselves. The former is a premium-class PDA equipped with a keyboard (see Sony Ericsson C905 and XPERIA X1, first impressions).

Comparisons between Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 and HTC Touch Pro are a well expected and natural thing; still, something very important should be kept in mind: positioning, which brings up explainable differences in implementation of certain features. SE think that X1 ought to be a marriage between luxury and technology, standing for an extensive use of metal, a grotesque form factor (concave slider) and so on.

An important difference from the ODM counterpart is also concealed in the software platform. The graphics shell of XPERIA looks very elegant and promising; the additional available software makes even a bigger difference from the closest competitor. Hardware differences are also numerous, primarily consisting in a different screen but not limited exclusively to that, so making statements about copying or even plagiarism is senseless.

Design and Ergonomics

Design makes a strong part of the model, producing a very pleasant impression. Metal is rarely seen in use as far as Windows Mobile models are concerned; no other WM model has been previously spotted to simultaneously feature metal on the sides, front and back panels. At the same time, the handset weighs even less than Touch Pro. Sony Ericsson’s brainchild uses a horizontal slider form factor and comes in two alternate color versions – black and metallic.

The design is very neutral, featuring a few geometrical patterns in the area of the navigation block below the screen. Side pieces have a chrome coating, the face panel combines glossy and matte surfaces (more on the matte side, also dominant on the back surface) Certain parts sport a grinded metal texture. Looks really cool in real life, the metal adding a posh touch to the whole thing. The available test samples feature a high quality of assembly, which may improve even further in the final commercial build. The sliding mechanism is incredibly smooth. X1, if not up to the highest of premium product standards, at least makes a perfect image phone, which is a very rare occurrence in the world of Windows Mobile products. Even the existing hi-end WM handsets are by and large made of plastic with few to no metal pieces.

Glossy areas are only seen on the face panel, which is a very practical point: you don’t have to fight the grease and fingerprints all the time. The measurements and weight are next to optimal, the handset neatly fits the hand. The menu navigation controls isn’t really handy though, for the convenience was sacrificed to the good looks (and strict geometrical shapes in particular) The button seemed a bit too small-sized for our comfort. After a week of usage or so you end up getting used to the small inconveniences, and stray keystrokes become more and more rare. On the other hand, you get just as many buttons as you would want to have, unlike the well-known models by Samsung and E-TEN which seemed to have too few dedicated buttons for miscellaneous functions. For instance, the bottom left button serves to open the panel launcher, which is to be described in a later section of this article.

What we didn’t really like about X1 was the main keyboard. The buttons feel loose and you can’t always feel if a button was pressed or not. We hope this will get fixed by the release day. The backlight is perfect though: bright enough to eliminate any possible inconvenience when you work in the dark. A brightly colored LED light works as the best reminder so you won’t ever miss a message. Talking in advance, we’d mention that Touch Pro still has a much better keyboard, which is the biggest advantage over the Swedish-Japanese competitor. For the rest of the aspects, X1 is leading and we are going to prove that.

The keyboard of X1 comprises 42 buttons, one of which serves as a shortcut to the standard WM menu. All the keys are grouped in four roughs and well-segmented. The navigation panel consists of 6 buttons plus the central joystick button with the standard four ‘arrow’ directions. Such a large number of buttons was a reason to reduce the size of an individual key, resulting in damage to ergonomics. The backlight of the navigation block is quite good though.

The central area of the navigation button (in a manner reminiscent of Samsung i900) also plays the role of a touchpad. You can bring up the manipulator window on the screen or simply scroll windows with a move of the finger – roughly this is an equivalent of a scroll wheel. A corresponding menu of settings is available, allowing for advanced tweaking of this feature. The solution is becoming increasingly popular in the circle of WM-based solutions.

The edge-positioned elements didn’t leave us disappointed; the most memorable feature is the 3.5 mm audio jack which has never been seen in SE products previously (save for a few ODM budget models which had almost no real influence on the market) and still is a rare occurrence among WM products. Moreover, the data cable slot is of a standard miniUSB type which is another plus. The memory expansion slot is hidden beneath the battery bay cover, also being of a standard microSD type instead of SE’s favorite M2 format.

The camera is located at the bottom end of the lower slider part, there’s no lens guard. So it’s highly advisable to avoid even the slightest physical impact. Talking in advance we’d mention that contrary to the rumors, the camera unit is distinctly different from the one installed on Touch Pro, offering a better quality of the photos. It will receive more attention in a later section of this article.

XPERIA panel

The basic shell providing access to all other applications used in X1 is an advanced finger-operated launcher utilizing every possibility originating from the touch technology support. Currently it’s the only solution capable of competition with TouchFLO 3D by HTC; the rest of pretender are much weaker, even considering the widget system seen on some Samsung phones. The SE corporation successfully implemented the interesting idea of active panels. In the current state of development, the application has few possibilities yet its potential is immense; it’s up to the company to shape the solution into something more challenging in the future incarnations.

The general idea is that the screen contains nine thumbnails which can be rotated all around in any imaginable fashion. The trick is that all the thumbnails remain simultaneously active – that is, any process running in a thumbnailed window affects the thumbnail image as it would do in a fullscreen mode – the progress bars, status indicators and other dynamic elements change accordingly so there’s no difference from the standard view mode. You are even able to watch the progress of a slowly loading web page right in a thumbnail of a web browser window.

It takes a lot of computing power to keep the whole 9 thumbnails active, yet the HTC powerful hardware platform copes with the task without problems. Lags occur only occasionally, yet in an amount not exceeding the slight lagginess of TouchFLO 3D earlier observed in pre-sale samples; until all the optimizations are done for the final version of the product, we can’t come to a final verdict on this point. The 256 Mb of RAM is a very big amount for a WM smartphone, and currently the XPERIA panel application consumes less memory than TouchFLO 3D does.

The default set of panels includes:

• Sony Ericsson panel – a panel to read news, weather, finance, world clock and shortcuts to communication and applications.
• Media Experience panel – center for viewing and playing multimedia files.
• Slideshow panel – slideshow of recently taken videos and photos.
• Microsoft Today panel – this panel is the actual Microsoft today screen.
• 3D Fish panel – a panel that showcases the 3D features of the phone; a fish tank with 3D fishes.
• FM radio panel - a panel to access your FM radio straight.
• Google panel - provides access to all GOogle services.

Also it’s possible to add custom user panels. Among the existing panels 3D Fish is the most remarkable feature – the inhabitants of the fish tank lively react to stylus touches. Tapping on a single fish will likely repel it, while slashing a track will bring the whole fish school along the drawn pathline. Here’s a small video covering the possibilities offered by the exclusive launcher and its individual panels:

HTC seems to offer a more advanced launcher shell, a feel of rawness can still be felt around X1. However the potential of the concept is great and leaves a vast margin for future developments. As for now, it’s a not too functional, yet effective looking solution. Next year we shall see a reworked version of the application which is going to challenge HTC on par, or even excel their work.

Storage, Screen, Connectivity

The gadget is equipped with a 256 Mb of RAM and 512 Mb of Rom, of which about 400 Mb is available to the user. As it was mentioned above, a microSD memory extension slot is available.

The screen is nearly ideal – a large 3’’ matrix supporting a 800x480 resolution. The picture quality is amazingly high – all the details are clear-cut and bright, sporting wide view angles. The screen of X1 displays a good resistance to the direct sunlight, the screen image fades off but slightly. The only observable flow is the necessity of additional software support for the non-canon 800x480 resolution, some of the applications failed to launch in a correct viewmode and it will take the software developers for some time to address the issue.

The connectivity part of X1 is based on the high-potential Qualcomm platform, which results in rich variety of hardware features including even an FM tuner with RDS support. The device is designed to operate in GSM 850/900/1800/1900 & UMTS 850/1900/2100 networks, supports GPRS/EDGE as well as HSDPA.

The wireless communication is done with the help of onboard Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) and Wi-Fi units. Both modules work perfectly; we had no problem handling them over the course of our tests. The A2DP profile enjoys a perfect implementation – the wireless headset audio sports a high volume and quality, the connection is rarely if ever released (we can’t recall a single instance). The following miscellaneous Bluetooth profiles are supported:

- File Transfer
- Generic Access
- Generic Object Exchange
- Handsfree
- Headset
- HID
- Object Push
- Personal Area Networking
- Serial Port
- A2DP
- Audio/Video Remote Control
- SAP (SIM card access profile)

Global Positioning is based off Google Maps software, just like in the case of HTC. The signal quality is remarkably high, standing up to the standards established by Touch Pro – the identity of the base chipset tells for itself, the same goes to radio functionality.

CPU, camera, battery

The hardware side of X1 bases off a Qualcomm MSM7201A chipset with a mounted 528 MHz CPU. That’s not the quickest CPU on today’s market, yet it provides high performance rates. It’s a bit too early to publish the scores achieved in synthetic benchmarks because there would be little correspondence to the real-life performance of the final commercial version. The only thing we can say for sure right now is that the solution has enough computing power for accomplishing the majority of typical tasks.

A genuine type of camera is used in this model; the quality is better than in Touch Pro. The photos are comparable to others taken with this kind of 3.2 Mp unit by the same manufacturer, no surprises ahead. The following photo resolutions are available:

- 3 MP (2048x1536)
- 3 MP Wide (2048x1280)
- 2 MP (1600x1200)
- 2 MP Wide (1600x992)
- 1 MP (1024x768)
- 1 MP Wide (1024x640)
- VGA (640x480)
- VGA Wide (640x400)
- QVGA (320x240)
- QVGA Wide (320x192)

The currently available sample doesn’t bear the final version of the camera, the camera firmware is still being developed and constantly update. As for now, the image quality is just fine. The 5 Mp PDAs are still ahead, yet all of those are plain candy bars. Inside its native niche (e.g. against the background of Touch Pro) this model looks a clear winner.

X1 is powered by a high-capacity 1500 mAh battery. The manufacturer claims a 3.5 hours full recharge cycle, 10 hours of talktime and 580 hours of standby in GSM networks. Our test results are too raw to do any judgment because of the unfinished state of the model, which is yet to appear in its final version, so we won’t be quoting any numbers until the finalized version becomes available. As for now, a full battery charge is enough to keep the device online for roughly two days of moderate duty cycle, which so far is great for a WM device.

Software Package

The software functionality of X1 is based off the Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional operating system, a review of which available on our site (see Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Base Functionality Review). The standard features of the preinstalled software package are currently being discussed, the only sure points on the list are Opera 9.5 as an alternative to IE, an RSS reader and Google Maps global positioning application. There are few coincidences on this front with the software package of the HTC product. The panel launcher is the most characteristic feature of the software platform, presenting a serious commercial trump; still SE seems to able to beat even that. We wonder what will happen when the next version comes out.

Market Outlook

Considering the generally low demand for Windows Mobile PDA phones, the two models can only expect a very moderate popularity, the situation aggravated by the high prices. The brand power factor combined with a number of objective advantages (the screen, audio out, the use of metal) make X1 a more remarkable solution, so it’s bound to enjoy some extra attention on the market. Yet it will never become a mass product.

It would be logical to design the next PDA in a candy bar form factor in order to cover a larger audience; that’s exactly what is planned for the following XPERIA model, which is to appear by the end of the year. It will finally reach retail stores by the start of the next year, more than a year after the announce of the closest HTC Touch Diamond. Sony Ericsson are doing their best to minimize the time gap between the announces of original HTC products and corresponding ODM developments for SE.

Comparison to HTC Touch Pro

As it was mentioned for a few times, HTC is the real-life manufacturer of Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1, yet the implementation and market positioning make a huge difference between the two models. Moreover, Touch Pro will become available in retail sale by the second fortnight of September while the competitor still has no established release date which may extend into the next year as well.

The strong sides of X1 are a metallic casing, the high mobility (compact size and small weight), a large screen, a 3.5 mm audio jack, a high-capacity battery and a high quality camera. Touch Pro is notable for a better software compatibility (a canonic screen resolution), a more user friendly launcher and WM extensions, a TV-out, a more convenient keyboard and the availability of hardware 3D acceleration.

All of this put together makes clear what the difference in positioning would be like: the practical Touch sporting a handy keyboard vs. the ambitious-looking, fashionable XPERIA clad in metal. The starting price for X1 is lower, yet a number of price reductions for Pro are bound to occur prior to the release of the competitive product.

SMAPE's opinion

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 is a very specific, yet an efficient PDA. It would make a great choice for those looking for a WM PDA sporting just as much computing power and versatility as fashionable looks, equipped with a QWERTY keyboard (yet not the handiest around). All in all, the product appears to be a balanced solution, on of the best in its class. Final conclusions will be drawn upon testing a next-to-final sample later in autumn. The currently available sample makes a great Christmas gift provided that SE fixes the spotted weaknesses on time, without pushing the release date into the next year.

+ Stylish design, original form factor
+ High quality of materials and assembly
+ Large high-definition screen
+ Long battery life
+ 3.5 mm audio jack
+ XPERIA panels firmware launcher
+ Powerful CPU, 256 Mb of RAM
+ Wi-Fi and GPS, as well as an FM tuner
- High price
- Challengeable keyboard ergonomics
- Non-canon screen resolution
- No TV-out
- No hardware 3D acceleration

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 is a very specific, yet an efficient PDA. It would make a great choice for those looking for a WM PDA sporting just as much computing power and versatility as fashionable looks, equipped with a QWERTY keyboard (yet not the handiest around). All in all, the product appears to be a balanced solution, on of the best in its class. Final conclusions will be drawn upon testing a next-to-final sample later in autumn. The currently available sample makes a great Christmas gift provided that SE fixes the spotted weaknesses on time, without pushing the release date into the next year.

Advantages:
 Stylish design, original form factor
 High quality of materials and assembly
 Large high-definition screen
 Powerful CPU, 256 Mb of RAM
 Wi-Fi and GPS, as well as an FM tuner
 XPERIA panels firmware launcher
 3.5 mm audio jack
 Long battery life

Disadvantages:
 High price
 Challengeable keyboard ergonomics
 Non-canon screen resolution
 No TV-out
 No hardware 3D acceleration

Author: Dmitry Ryabinin, dm@smape.com
www.SMAPE.com

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2008, 07:32:29 PM »
News;

HTC rolls out Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM update for AT&T Tilt (Kaiser)
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/26/htc-rolls-out-windows-mobile-61-rom-update-for-att-tilt-kaiser.html

Sure, the HTC TyTn II (Kaiser) has already been playing nice with the Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM for some time now, courtesy of HTC. But, those of you with AT&T’s own-branded version of the HTC Kaiser - the AT&T Tilt - have had to wait for AT&T and HTC to join forces and roll-out a carrier-branded version of the Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM. That wait, dear Kaiser-users, is now over.

AT&T and HTC have finally made good on their promise (well, more like our expectations) to bring AT&T Tilt users the long-awaited Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM update. The new WM6.1 ROM brings new features and functionality to the AT&T Tilt:
Windows Mobile 6.1
HTC Home Screen
Video Share Calling
Threaded SMS
MS Voice Command
OneNote Mobile
Remote Desktop Monitor
Enroll Domain
Managed Programs
PTT Button now available for reassignment under Start>Settings>Buttons.

What are you waiting for? Head on over to HTC and grab the WM6.1 update for your AT&T Tilt already!

HTC S740 - Touch Diamond without a touch
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/26/htc-s740-touch-diamond-without-a-touch.html

HTC today announced a new smartphone - S740. The new device packs everything the Touch Diamond has except for the touch — Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard rather than Professional edition is used. It also dumps VGA screen for QVGA, but adds 12-key numeric keypad on top of the slide-out QWERTY Keyboard.

The HTC S740 specifications:
Networks: WCDMA/HSDPA: 900/2100 MHz for EU and Asia
Chipset: Qualcomm MSM7225, 528 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
Maximum speed: upload = 384 kbps; download = 3.6/7.2 Mbps
Camera: 3.2MP, with the second VGA camera for video calling
Operating system: Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard
Display: 2.4-inch QVGA screen
Camera: 3.2 megapixel with fixed focus
Internal memory: 256 MB flash; 256 MB RAM
Memory card: microSD
Bluetooth: 2.0 with EDR
WLAN: 802.11b/g
GPS: GPS/AGPS
Interface: HTC ExtUSB (mini-USB and audio jack in one; USB 2.0 High-Speed)
Battery: 1000 mAh
Talk time: WCDMA: Up to 320 minutes / GSM: Up to 380 minutes
Standby time: WCDMA: Up to 400 hours / GSM: Up to 280 hours
Special features: Sliding QWERTY keyboard, FM radio, Google Maps, RSS Hub
Size: 116.3×43.4×16.3 mm
Weight: 140g with battery