Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 65961 times)

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »
anybody got a reliable website that sells sim free phones cheap enough?

Matty

« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »
ebay is actually the best place for that as far as i know, especially on the prices. just look for big sellers with big feedback scores and you'll be cool...

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »
not yet im off work till friday, will get to play with the 850 then. a lot of people are anticipating it, im not so sure about the dpad and touch sensitive menu keys though...will no doubt be a great cam and video recording is decent too.

not got or played with the kaiser yet, still waiting on vodafone to release their version so i can figure out how to get one as cheap as possible...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=376
this is where you'll find all the info on modding the kaiser and links to ripped cab files so you can install extra stuff or stuff that just wasn't on a certain variant of the firmware like msn etc ;]

Thanx for the link,will check it out.
I saw some user reviews on SE K850i on http://www.esato.com/board/latestposts.php ,most of them of them was bought from "you" (vodafone or 02),not sure if it has hit every marked yet (?). The board is a little biased,since it got a lot of SE fans in there,but I read trough the lines like every smart man would do. The D-pad and the touch sensitive menu keys worry me,but letīs see. I will hit a Nokia sevice center tomorrow to clean my phone before it get fucked up by the drinks Iīve spilled over it.
If it crash,you better believe the HTC Kaiser will be next phone.

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2007, 03:40:38 AM »
my phone is fixed now! thank god!!! but i didnt buy my 4gig card yet.Is there any link that you can give me that i could watch mpeg on my phone not just the 3gp format? that would be very helpfull! thanks in advance!!! 8)

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »
Thereīs a new version of Gmail for cell phoneīs out.
You should know what to do;
www.gmail.com/app

Looking for applicatons for your Windows Mobile?
You will some dope applications here;
http://iwindowsmobile.com/

my phone is fixed now! thank god!!! but i didnt buy my 4gig card yet.
Is there any link that you can give me that i could watch mpeg on my phone not just the 3gp format? that would be very helpfull! thanks in advance!!! 8)

Not sure,Iīve never tried myself. Have to do some research,I know you can convert mpeg to 3gp.
I guess the best place to look for info is
www.my-symbian.com
Symbian software & latest news for UIQ, Series 60, Series 80 and Series 90 platforms

If you find some links/info before me,post them.
I going trough some cell phone news Iīm going to post a little later right now.

EDIT;
I found this,tell me if it works;
http://shop.my-symbian.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=695&osId=914&sectionId=0&catalog=0&productType=2&platformId=4&productId=111573

Help you convert mpeg file to iVideo MP4 format easily - $ 29.9
www.audioutilities.com
Play all: DVD Divx Mpeg Coupon GGL328491
www.ivivo.tv
Mpeg Encoder Fast And Easy AVI MPEG DVD WMV ASF DAT FLV 3GP MP4 Encoder
www.avs4you.com/

Broad Manufacturer Agreement Gives Universal Phone Cable Green Light
http://www.esato.com/news/article.php/id=1769

The OMTP today announced that following industry consultation a recommendation paper has been agreed to help pave the way for a single, universal cross manufacturer USB (Universal Serial Bus) cable connector that enables mobile consumers to connect and charge their mobile devices

Ratified and promoted by OMTP operator members (including Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, LG, and Nokia) with support from the USB Implementers Forum, this latest recommendation represents a significant step towards standardising common cable connectors resulting in obvious consumer and environmental benefits.
With UK consumers changing their handset on average twice a year, through contract upgrades or personal choice, there are literally hundreds of millions of chargers and data cables in circulation. On top of that, there a huge number of different peripherals such as headsets for voice calls, car kits, data cables, etc. – many with different physical connectors. This fragmentation creates unnecessary cost for the whole value chain, creates clutter and limits the freedom of selection for end user, and restricts competition by creating barriers of market entry.
The OMTP’s paper recommends that the micro USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard is used across mobile devices. USB is the de facto standard for the PC industry and it is a technology understood by consumers. Reaching mobile industry agreement on USB will help streamline the whole value chain and provide end users with a larger choice of the most popular peripherals. The customer will also be able to use their legacy home entertainment and PC equipment, as well as creating a new market opportunity for peripheral vendors.
One manufacturer that played a pivotal role in pursuing the agreement was OMTP member Nokia. Markku Verkama, Director of Portfolio Planning at Nokia Technology Platforms explains: “The OMTP’s work to bring consensus for what is such a simple yet significant recommendation will have wide reaching benefit. With the reduction of cables needed for mobile data connectivity, we can further enhance user experiences in our devices while reducing the burden to the environment.”
“The USB-IF was first to recognise a clear market need for a universal data and charging mechanism for devices. USB offers consumers ease-of-use and a plug-and-play experience making it the most ubiquitous interconnect technology in the world,” said Jeff Ravencraft, USB-IF president. “We’re pleased to see OMTP support the USB technology as the standard for connectivity in the mobile space.”
Tim Raby, Managing Director OMTP commented, “OMTP members are keen to pursue the single cable connectivity development due to its multiple benefits. We see these recommendations as a clear and demonstrable example of the work we are doing to make the mobile experience less confusing, less complicated and easier for consumers.”

This is good news,it was about time.

CooTek's TouchPal brings iPhone-like touchpad to Windows Mobile
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/10/12/cooteks-touchpal-brings-iphone-like-touchpad-to-windows-mobile/

If you've been harboring itchy, jealous feelings toward your iPhone-toting friend's slick onscreen keypads, now's your chance to join the fun. CooTek's Touchpal brings an arguably improved keypad design to Windows Mobile 5 and 6 devices for free -- at least, free until December 8th. Powered by "T+" technology -- a patent pending typing method -- the keypad features two letters and a symbol on each key in a "T" shape so by quickly sliding your thumb left, right, or down, you'll eventually become a 300 char per minute texting grand master. In our humble opinion, anything is likely an improvement on the child-size onscreen keyboard featured on most current devices, so if you have some spare moments, give it a shot and let us know how you get on. Read on for a video of the keypad in action.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4PwSC8rlvEo&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4PwSC8rlvEo&amp;autoplay=0</a>

Will Apple Soon be Forced to Unbrick All iPhones?
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?action=post;msg=1623246;topic=152903.200;sesc=f3f0990d7d67a49a69f916f84a7d52b5

As the current iPhone 1.1.1 locking proves, there is a VERY dangerous flaw in the current iPhone and iPod touch software. A malformed TIF file can be used to get root access to the device. Obviously that is good if you want to install some useful applications on your iPhone/iPod, however that is extremely bad if you are worried about someone taking over your iPhone. Ironically, this might be a good thing for those who accidentally let Apple Brick their iPhones - try to stay with us here...

Theoretically, the malformed TIF file could be used for more nefarious tasks than updating than installing useful apps or updating the modems firmware...stuff like making a 900-number dialer($$ cha - ching $$), a bot installer (iPhone Spam-bot?), a baseband modem crippler or just good old-fashioned bricking the iPhone....

Hypothetically, one of these malformed tif files could even have the same effect as the "bricker" 1.1.1 update. However, this time Apple's Safari security will be to blame, not the users who are trying to assert their legal right to move the phone to other carriers. The only recourse Apple will legally have is to unBrick all of the iPhones that their update has caused and reset the baseband modem to factor settings.

One has to wonder if the malformed tif file vulnerability would have been discovered and applied to the iPhone had Apple not closed the Intaller.app development community out of the iPhone originally. Perhaps it is better to have these incredibly intelligent people on your side?

Jobs praises Nokia's 3rd party app scheme, but he has it wrong
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/10/17/jobs-praises-nokias-3rd-party-app-scheme-but-he-has-it-wrong/

In chatting up Apple's sudden change of direction today on the whole native iPhone SDK issue, Steve Jobs did a little name dropping by mentioning that he digs the way Nokia does things with S60's support for third party applications. It seems apparent from the get-go that Steve has every intention of offering apps through some sort of official, money-generating conduit -- iTunes, we'd wager -- and with that comes the promise of digital rights management, authenticity verification, and all those nasty little technologies that set the hacking community ablaze. To that end, Steve mentioned that he digs Nokia's approach of requiring that apps be digitally signed so they can be traced back to their developers, an effort to stem "viruses, malware, privacy attacks" that he thinks will flourish on a "highly visible target" like the iPhone. There's a problem, though: there's no telling when the last time is that Steve touched a phone not of his own creation, but we've used S60 devices pretty recently (like, today) and we have it on good authority that you can disable certificate verification for installed apps. Think iPhone users are going to have that option? Probably not. Apple's still visibly concerned about keeping the iPhone under its perceived draconian control (even though it's been busted wide open time and time again), and we've no doubt that trend will continue in full effect with the SDK. It's a huge, landmark upgrade from the web-based SDK developers have now, yes -- but we'd recommend Steve screw around with an N95 for a while before he heaps any more love on the way Nokia goes about its business.

5 megapixel Samsung G800
http://www.gsmarena.com/5_megapixel_samsung_g800_leaked-news-287.php

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MIqOi_hx5qQ&amp;rel&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MIqOi_hx5qQ&amp;rel&amp;autoplay=0</a>
Another high-end camera phone from Samsung seems to be under way, unofficial information has leaked. The Samsung G800 slider has a 5 megapixel auto focus camera with 3x optical zoom and is likely the successor of Samsung G600, which was recently announced.
Samsung G800 is recognizable for its stylish design and better camera integration with a dedicated camera button and xenon flash. The back of the phone includes elements, inherent to advanced camera bodies - a special leather-like cover ensuring better grip, as well as its lens and xenon flash comfortably covered by a stylish lens lid. The front panel grabs attention with its large display. The form factor is easily identifiable as a slider, but it might as well offer a touch-based user interface and no hardware keypad.
Other features of the Samsung G800 include Bluetooth, USB support, 3G or HSDPA connectivity and stereo speakers. We are somewhat uncertain about the presence of 3G support, since most of the Samsung 3G-enabled handset come out under the Z-series. As of yet, no information is available on the video recording capabilities of the device.
Although optical zoom enabled phones are not something new on the market as we have already witnessed the coming to light of Nokia N93, Nokia N93i, Sharp 902, Sharp 903 and Sharp 904, the Samsung G800 looks like quickly becoming a common favourite when it hits the shelves. This is expected to happen in the early months of 2008.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:51:48 AM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Matty

« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »
kaiser - we got it, but its sold out instantly and i wasn't in while we had stock so still haven't played on it

k850 - awesome features, looks hella cool - quite chunky - not a fan of the touch buttons and the navigation not having a selection button in the middle. great screen (the k850 and w910 have a new larger screen from SE) and it has the full walkman player 3 from the new walkman range for music. reading that forum sounds like there are a lot of firmware issues. been selling very well this weekend and i have no hesitation selling SE products. i dont see why they had to change the design so much, bad move in my opinion...

Matty

« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »
by design i just meant the things i said (keypad layout, touch buttons). the auto-lens cover is real impressive though, lights up a blue led around the lens when it opens. software wise its nice but the new operating system they are using is more sluggish. not very much but enough to piss someone like me off, SE should be keeping their interface fairly instant. its like samsung who had an amazingly fast ui and now their g600 software is just hella slow, oh well. we have a whole grip of new SE phones, they are bombaring the market at the moment. k850i, w910, w580i, k530i, v640i, k770i, w880 gold - all new in the last few weeks ;d

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »
I had quick look at a SE K850 dummy the other day,I must say that I wasn't impressed. It felt like a piece of plastic crap,a matt front and a tacky glossy back. Damn,can't believe their top model for 07 would turn out like this. I would take the SE T650 over this any day,which is a beauty and really feels like a QUALITY product.
So Matty what's your verdict on the Kaiser and K850?

kaiser - we got it, but its sold out instantly and i wasn't in while we had stock so still haven't played on it

k850 - awesome features, looks hella cool - quite chunky - not a fan of the touch buttons and the navigation not having a selection button in the middle. great screen (the k850 and w910 have a new larger screen from SE) and it has the full walkman player 3 from the new walkman range for music. reading that forum sounds like there are a lot of firmware issues. been selling very well this weekend and i have no hesitation selling SE products. i dont see why they had to change the design so much, bad move in my opinion...

They changed the design to make it easier for JAVA application developers to develop cheap applications,since the new navigation design use the same as design as Nokias S40 (that's what I read at least). As a former loyal SE user I'm dissapointed by SE K850. I can't front on it's features,they're awesome,only thing missing is build in GPS. So it sold well? I would have tougth the new navigation design might would put most people off. I guess not.

by design i just meant the things i said (keypad layout, touch buttons). the auto-lens cover is real impressive though, lights up a blue led around the lens when it opens. software wise its nice but the new operating system they are using is more sluggish. not very much but enough to piss someone like me off, SE should be keeping their interface fairly instant. its like samsung who had an amazingly fast ui and now their g600 software is just hella slow, oh well. we have a whole grip of new SE phones, they are bombaring the market at the moment. k850i, w910, w580i, k530i, v640i, k770i, w880 gold - all new in the last few weeks ;d

Did I say something in my post that could be read as that I didn't get what you meant?  ;)
Anyway the keypad design is the worst,not because it's "ugly" but it don't seem functional.
It looked fine on photo's but when I had a quick look at the dummy,it felt a little cheap and tacky.
Didn't like the glossy finish on the back combined with a matt front.
I guess taste of design is subjective,but I hope this is not the direction theyīre planning to move towards

The SE W910 looks nice,I donīt like slider phoneīs (bought the N95 strictly because of superior features)
My guess is that is pretty expensive right?,look like a "design" phone.
SE W910

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhoDLTtOpsI&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WhoDLTtOpsI&amp;autoplay=0</a>

Matty

« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2007, 03:00:31 PM »
its pretty expensive and i was actually liking the w580i more - half the price but with version 2 of the walkman software (seems cleaner than version 3) and the keys are a tad small like the 910i. also got some 1615's in today, so i got to play at last. extremely good build quality and all the things i expected. only drawback touch screen isn't amazing - the qtek 9100/htc wizard still has a better touch screen than the new models. also the vodafone version does indeed take all the fun stuff like windows live off the device, but i know how to sort that out and more now ;D

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »
its pretty expensive and i was actually liking the w580i more -
half the price but with version 2 of the walkman software (seems cleaner than version 3) and the keys are a tad small like the 910i. also got some 1615's in today, so i got to play at last.
extremely good build quality and all the things i expected.
only drawback touch screen isn't amazing -
the qtek 9100/htc wizard still has a better touch screen than the new models.
also the vodafone version does indeed take all the fun stuff like windows live off the device,
but i know how to sort that out and more now ;D

Whatīs the difference between Walkman Version 2 and 3?
I have never had any of the Walkman phones,
I had SE K800 for a week when it came but didnīt really like that it was so chunky to not be a "smart phone".
They slimmed down SE K810,but still....I like T650,thatīs a slim and nice phone with the same features.
But then again you probably has to pay twice for the design,right?
Fuck,back to the point,did SE K800 have Walkman Version 2?
Whatīs wrong with Vodafone? Why do they brand their phones and take away features?
I had a quick look at it a couple weeks ago,it wasnīt turned on so I didnīt see the screen.
But as you said it is a extremely good build quality product,I actually think that and the Touch model will be their breaktrough models.
Posted a link to Windows Mobile application site in a previous post.
I donīt know if I told you,but I have upgraded my software on N95 and got a 4GB memory card in it now.
It works much better now and the GPS is working a whole lot faster.

Matty

« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »
the latest version of the n95 firmware (i think the nokia rep said version 12 or something) adds assisted gps to the software (previously was just the 6110 that had that feature) so it'll use the mobile signal + satellites to locate you and be a whole lot faster as you said. the k800 just has basic media player software - quality wise it makes no difference (although the k800 doesn't drive headphones as well as say the w850i) but the proper walkman software (version 2 was in the models from w850i onward) lets you organise the music/playlists in more ways and generally looks a whole lot nicer, displaying album art and also has the mega-bass option (although to be fair any kind of eq through the phone output sounds absolutely crap given the strength of the signal).

the only way to get good sound is not to use any eq options and plug headphones with the right kind of audio reproduction into the adapter (so if you want more bass you need some headphones which extend the low-end more than usual). having said that you can't drive any larger headphones decently from the phone output anyway, so its always a comprimise. damn im a geek ;p

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »
the latest version of the n95 firmware (i think the nokia rep said version 12 or something)
adds assisted gps to the software (previously was just the 6110 that had that feature)
so it'll use the mobile signal + satellites to locate you and be a whole lot faster as you said.
the k800 just has basic media player software - quality wise it makes no difference
(although the k800 doesn't drive headphones as well as say the w850i)
but the proper walkman software (version 2 was in the models from w850i onward)
lets you organise the music/playlists in more ways and generally looks a whole lot nicer,
displaying album art and also has the mega-bass option
(although to be fair any kind of eq through the phone output sounds absolutely crap given the strength of the signal).

the only way to get good sound is not to use any eq options and plug headphones with the right kind of audio reproduction into the adapter (so if you want more bass you need some headphones which extend the low-end more than usual). having said that you can't drive any larger headphones decently from the phone output anyway, so its always a comprimise.
damn im a geek ;p

Thanx for the info,the N95 GPS actually works now. Before it was just a fun feature to play with.......
Alright then I havenīt played with the media software that comes with the Walkman phones.
I kind of stayed away from them because I prefer joystick over D-Pad,
now that "everybody" is moving away from the joystick anyway I got to live with the D-Pad from now on.
To tell you the truth,I donīt expect "super quality sound" from a cell phone or MP3 player for that matter.
I just find it very handy to have "everything" in one gadget,now I use my phone as "stereo" and "walkman" all the time.

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
how many 5 megapixel phone is available? only 2 comes to mind - n95 and that samsung you just mention

Matty

« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2007, 07:10:12 PM »
G600 too and thats the smallest ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:28:14 PM by Matty »

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
i feel cheap with my 3,2 megapixels nokia n73 lol and props for the info like always!!!