Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 65946 times)

RAIDErs of the lost ark

Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:07 PM »
iPhone 3G: everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/iphone-3g-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-but-were-afraid-t/

If you're anything like us, just about everyone in your family has called you up this week to ask if you think they should get the iPhone 3G; it really doesn't help matters that there's just an absurd amount of (mis)information floating around about it right now, too. So this one's for you and your fam -- we're dishing out the straight dope on iPhone 3G, a to z, so feel free to pass it on.

So, what's with the new iPhone 3G?

Well, it's pretty much the same iPhone as before -- except now it's down to $200, and has way faster 3G data, A-GPS (which is even better than regular GPS), as well as a flush headphone jack (which is great for anyone who doesn't want to use Apple's bundled headphones). Oh, and it's also a little thinner around the edges, and a little thicker at the center. If you want to know what it was like to try out, check out our iPhone 3G hands-on.

How'd they get the price so low? The iPhone used to be crazy expensive.

Actually, depending on how you do the math it's not actually cheaper. Now, in some countries the iPhone is free when you sign up for service, and in the US you'll pay $200 for the 8GB model -- half what it was a month ago -- so you're definitely paying less up front. But the data plans cost more now, so you might wind up spending more money over the long run.

Um, ok.

Look, gadgets only get cheaper as time goes on, and Apple's sold enough iPhones to continue to lower their cost to manufacture each unit. But more importantly, Apple's re-arranged its business deals to get carrier subsidies. Basically, what that means for Apple is they've decided to stop asking their carrier-partners for a cut of your monthly service fees. In exchange, the carriers have agreed to pay a significant chunk of the cost of your new iPhone 3G in order to get you to sign up.

So everybody supposedly wins: Apple sells more devices and still makes good money, AT&T gets more subscribers, and you get a cheaper iPhone. But there is a financial toll to this: AT&T estimates that helping you pay for your new iPhone will actually cost them $600 million through 2010. But clearly the numbers indicate that the short term cost will be worth it for them the long run.

Does that mean Apple doesn't make as much money per phone?

For all we know Apple might actually be making more money per phone now. With the original iPhone 3G, you paid "full price" for an iPhone -- $600 at its high point. Now you'll be paying no more than $200 (and as little as nothing in some countries) for the 8GB model, so we don't really know exactly how much of Apple's price the carriers are knocking off. We think it's fair to assume it'd still be in the $400-450 retail range, though, if it wasn't subsidied. Which it is.

What's up with the data and SMS pricing?

Well, Apple will be in 70 countries (and counting) this year, so you'll get different plans from region to region. But in the US, users will have to sign up for a minute plan that includes an extra $30 rate for 3G data access (and has no bundled text messages). This is $10 more than the original iPhone's rate plan, which was $20 for data and 200 included SMSs. Matching voice plans start at $40 per month, so you'll basically be able to get started at $70 per month. (We've also got a bit more on AT&T's new plans here.)

I heard you can't activate the iPhone at home anymore, is that true?

This is still a little fuzzy. Here's the deal: with the first iPhone, Apple used to let you buy it in the store and take it home to activate. This process is unlike almost every other phone on the market, but since it's Apple, and because you were paying full price for the device, if you never activated it with AT&T or just unlocked it and sent it to your friend in China or whatever, it wasn't a big deal. Apple made their money on the device, and AT&T didn't lose anything.

But since now AT&T is basically picking up a huge portion of the cost of your iPhone 3G, they want to make damn sure you aren't going to unlock it or send it to a friend. From what we've heard, you'll likely have to start the activation process in-store (so Apple and AT&T knows exactly who's buying the device), and then you might be able to finish it off at home. It's definitely not ideal, but it's the only way they can prevent people from basically walking away with a few hundred dollars of AT&T's money. And at the end of the day, it probably won't be WORSE than buying any other kind of phone though -- anyone who's bought a phone from a US carrier in the last 10 years will be well acquainted with the process.

I heard you have to turn over your iPhone when you upgrade, is that true?

Naw, you bought it, it's yours to hang on to. But if you bought one within Apple's grace period, they'll let you upgrade it free. (More on that below.) But if you bought an original iPhone early on -- which means half of your two year contract is about up -- know that when you buy an iPhone 3G you'll be re-upping that two year contract from date of purchase. So if you buy an iPhone 3G on day one, your new contract will expire on July 11th, 2010.

So if I bought an original iPhone, I can trade it in for an iPhone 3G?

Yes, but only if you bought it AFTER May 27th, 2008. Anyone who bought theirs before that has to live with their purchase -- not that anyone can stop you from showing up to your local Apple store and raising a ruckus.

Can I continue using my original iPhone? Will they still update it?

Yes, and yes! Although the first gen iPhone is officially no longer being made, not even Apple would be so bold as to deactivate the 6m iPhones already out there. They intend to release their big 2.0 software release for iPhones and iPods touch on or around July 11th, which will be the same software running on the iPhone 3G.

What if I decide I don't like the iPhone 3G?

Apple and AT&T offer a 30-day money back guarantee (just in case you don't get coverage in the places you most often frequent). After that you pay a $175 early termination fee (ETF), which goes down each month over the course of your 24 month contract.

Is faster 802.11n WiFi supported?

Nope, it's still just 802.11b/g. Seriously though, you're a fringe case if you need more than 54Mbps to your cellphone.

Can I use voice and data at the same time?

Yes and no: unlike the original iPhone -- which did not support EDGE class A, and sent calls to voicemail while you were browsing the web -- the UMTS / HSDPA-based iPhone 3G should be able to handle data and calls at the same time when in 3G mode. So that means if you get coverage, you'll be fine. But if you're in a spot where there's only EDGE service, you likely won't be able to do voice and data at the same time.

I heard rumors that this thing can get up to 40Mbps over 3G, is that true?

Right now AT&T's HSDPA network is supposedly capped out at 1.4Mbps for phones, but we hear the iPhone is rated for HSDPA 3.6 (3.6Mbps), and AT&T claims its network speeds will go even faster than that by next year.

What did they mean by "greatly improved" audio quality?

Well, we heard about it two ways: Apple claims they've both improved the audio circuitry and quality of the signal to your headphones, but also cleaned up the in-call sound quality. We haven't tested this at length though, so we'll let you know if that's the case once it launches.

Can I use the iPhone on any carrier?

It's not unlocked, so no, you can't. While we're sure that iPhone hackers will figure out a way to unlock it for the betterment of all mankind, you're pretty much expected to use it with your designated domestic carrier, and pay the usual exorbitant roaming fees when you leave the country.

I hear that even though it has GPS I can't use it as a nav unit, what's up with that?

According to the SDK agreement, it looks like Apple doesn't want you using your iPhone to replace your Garmin. But it should still technically be feasible, and they demoed their Google Maps app doing geo-caching, so it's really a matter of intended use. Apple, apparently, doesn't want the device to be used that way -- but at the end of the day it may just be a contract mishap. We'll know soon!

Why doesn't it do video / MMS / A2DP / scrub my callouses / pick up my dry cleaning?

Clearly Apple has the technological prowess to make (most of) that stuff happen, but for whatever reason they've chosen not to support it. Maybe it's because of battery life issues, maybe it's because Steve just didn't see the need. Either way, it's a philosophical decision for them, so they may never change it. Bummer, right?

So what the hell do I do with my old iPhone?

The funny thing about a $200 3G iPhone is that it makes it pretty difficult to sell your original iPhone. Unless you know someone who doesn't need the 3G, we'd suggest keeping it as a backup, or even jailbreaking and unlocking for use when traveling overseas (in places have GSM networks).

If you do try to sell or give away your old phone, do yourself a favor and read about how you can completely erase it. Just hitting the format iPhone button won't actually remove all your data, and you really don't want your private conversations and passwords to be recovered by someone else, do you?

All that's well and good, but I have a question you didn't answer.

42. Just kidding. Leave it in the comments below! If it's a good one (and something we have or can get the answer to) we'll add it in!

Updated;

iPhone 3G must be activated in-store (and other followup questions answered)
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/13/iphone-3g-must-be-activated-in-store-and-other-followup-questio/

Yesterday we went over a few of the more confusing bits of the iPhone 3G launch -- and let's be honest, the details of this launch are confusing as hell compared to the original go-round. Of course, there were a lot of burning questions to be answered from the audience, so we got an AT&T spokesperson to weigh in on what's on your mind. The most surprising answer? Contrary to reports implying otherwise, AT&T pretty much categorically claims that no matter where you buy your iPhone 3G, be it from AT&T or Apple, you have to walk out of the store an activated customer. That means no in-home activation, and definitely no buying an iPhone for your friends or family. Check it out below, more questions after the break.

Chris asks: Can these devices be purchased and given as gifts?

No. You will need to walk out of the AT&T or Apple store with the device activated.

Greekjgg asks: What if I want to buy one for work which already uses AT&T for company account? I can't activate in store, obviously, so will it be possible to to buy without a contract?

We don't have details yet but iPhones for business use will likely be provisioned through your company's IT department.

Tons of people ask: If I purchase an original iPhone from a friend will I be able to get the old data plan pricing? Or will I need to sign up at the new, more expensive rate?

Yes. You can get the old data plan price if someone gives you a device and you establish service for yourself.

Chris and SeditioN VII ask: What's the no-commitment price?

We have not yet announced the unsubsidized price.

We follow up: So you WILL be able to buy it without the two year commitment?

We haven't announced whether or not that will be offered.

Vic asks: Will long-time customers who are otherwise eligible for a free or reduced-price handset upgrades be able to lower the price when buying the iPhone 3G?

No one will pay less than $199 for the 8GB or $299 for the 16GB models. As you know, those are subsidized prices.

Matt asks: Say I just recently signed up with AT&T, standard contract. Now I want to get an iPhone 3G -- will I have to pay more than $199 for the phone because it's subsidized? For example, if I were to upgrade to a Blackberry now, I can't get the advertised $99 price (because I am a new, existing subscriber); my price is $374.

It depends on whether or not you are eligible for an upgrade.

We ask: What is the penalty for not activating the phone in 30 days? How will that be enforced?

[no comment given]

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »
DAMN, now i dont know what to get, Thunder, Bold or the new iPhone!!!

I don´t feel the design on Bold so  :P :P :P :P
The Thunder looks nice.... but why those three?

Cause ive always wanted a Blackberry and a iPhone. I had a iPhone for awhile and i really liked it but then i sold it for alot more then i got it for. Now i got the LG Shine and i wanna sell it. Dont know what to get now!!!

h2k4

« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
Cause ive always wanted a Blackberry and a iPhone. I had a iPhone for awhile and i really liked it but then i sold it for alot more then i got it for. Now i got the LG Shine and i wanna sell it. Dont know what to get now!!!

Get this :

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2008, 05:16:34 AM »
lol @ the brick phone! don't buy the blackberry pearl! they are expensive for nothing,i had one for 1 hour and i change it.i was fucking disapointed.there's a shit load  of phone that is better for less $$$

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #499 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:50 AM »
lol @ the brick phone! don't buy the blackberry pearl! they are expensive for nothing,i had one for 1 hour and i change it.i was fucking disapointed.there's a shit load  of phone that is better for less $$$

I know Pearls are shitty!!!

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #500 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
Whats the best phone out there right now? That has almost everything?

HTC Tytn II or Iphone?

Or are there others

i ened help becuase im gonna get rid of my two year old pearl soon
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #501 on: June 14, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »

HTC Tytn II or Iphone?

Or are there others

i ened help becuase im gonna get rid of my two year old pearl soon

LOL, you cant compare those 2 phones. It depends on how much you wanna spend dude. The iPhone is $200 and the Tytn II is $800 LOL!!!

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #502 on: June 14, 2008, 02:24:25 PM »
HTC Tytn II or Iphone?
Or are there others
I ened help becuase im gonna get rid of my two year old pearl soon

LOL, you cant compare those 2 phones. It depends on how much you wanna spend dude.
The iPhone is $200 and the Tytn II is $800 LOL!!!

200$ for a iPhone is with a two year contract.
800$ for HTC TyTN2 is without anything,I´m pretty sure you can get it for about the same if you sign up for a two year contract.
By the way HTC TyTN2 is called Tilt on AT&T.
Edit;
AT&T Tilt/HTC TyTN2
http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/atttilt/

Save $100 on the AT&T Tilt after Mail-in Rebate promotion card*
*Pay $399.99 and after mail-in rebate, receive a $100 AT&T promotion card.
Requires 2 year agreement and qualified voice and data plans.
That means you can get HTC TyTN2 for 299$  ;)

Anyways check out these;

HTC Touch Diamond Windows Mobile 6.1/Touch UI,GPS,3.2 MPX camera,WLAN,3G
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1848414#msg1848414

HTC Touch Diamond review;
http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/htc-touch-diamond-en.shtml

Sony Ericsson C905 8.1 MPX camera,GPS,WLAN,3G ++
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1875493#msg1875493

Nokia N96; 16GB internal memory + memory stick slot,TV,GPS,WLAN,3G
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1794705#msg1794705

Nokia N96 review;
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n96-en.shtml

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 Windows Mobile/Touch UI,3.2 MPX camera,GPS,WLAN,3G
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1744399#msg1744399
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1757215#msg1757215

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:15:08 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

Matty

« Reply #503 on: June 14, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
the tytyn 2 is pretty much the opposite of a flashy, user friendly UI based consumer phone (iphone) - its a typical business style windows mobile affair, although it does have pretty much every feature. the x1 looks very interesting cause its gonna have all those smartphone features (qwerty keyboard, touchscreen, wi-fi, gps etc) and try to combine a more user friendly UI into the windows mobile build (either v6.1 or rumoured 6.5)

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #504 on: June 14, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »
the tytyn 2 is pretty much the opposite of a flashy, user friendly UI based consumer phone (iphone) -
its a typical business style windows mobile affair, although it does have pretty much every feature.
the x1 looks very interesting cause its gonna have all those smartphone features (qwerty keyboard, touchscreen, wi-fi, gps etc)
and try to combine a more user friendly UI into the windows mobile build (either v6.1 or rumoured 6.5)
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1744399#msg1744399
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1757215#msg1757215

Sure,but they can install this;
Spb Mobile Shell 2.0 released; Windows Mobile users rejoice
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/04/spb-mobile-shell-20-released-windows-mobile-users-rejoice.html

Spb Mobile Shell 2.0 has been released.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-04-2008/0004767108&EDATE=
The new version doesn't just look better (there's a great choice of haptic animation),
but is also faster and lower in memory consumption.
Aside from the previous version's "classics" like concise
"Now Screen," World Time, photo speed deal, launcher,color-based themes and fast/smart contact search —
version 2.0 also features full screen dialogs for Weather and Time, animated transitions, navigation with gestures(like HTC's TouchFLO).
In addition, the Spb Mobile Shell now packs all functionality in one tabbed window, making the app run much faster.

I could go on and on, but it's the Spb's website
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/mobileshell/?en
where you should get the detailed info.
If you own Windows Mobile 5 or 6 powered device, this is the app to have.
It costs $29.95 and it's worth every penny!

Or go for this hot joint;
HTC Touch Diamond
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=152903.msg1848414#msg1848414

HTC Touch Diamond review;
http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/htc-touch-diamond-en.shtml

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:06:47 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

Matty

« Reply #505 on: June 14, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »
something really puts me off any phone that relies entirely on touch screen technology - the lovely touch cruise, that shiny diamond one and even the iphone. im not really a massive fan of touch screens in general but they do work well on the more computery phones eg. windows mob based devices. those devices normally have standard keys to fall back on anyway and a keyboard which is ace for any type of messaging.

if i could afford to get two devices this year i think it would have to be the X1 and that new 8.1MP cybershot model - both from SE (well kind of, the X1 is HTC/SE). it might have to be one or the other so i'm hoping the X1 delivers on all fronts and it'll most likely be that. most worrying is the whole sqaures thing they got going for the menus - it needs to have plenty of ram and processor speed to have 0 slowdown. unfortunately i've read it could be slightly lacking in atleast one of those areas. the cybershot one will have a much much better still camera and probably much better video recording too, which is ofcourse appealing. however the X1 apparently still does VGA video recording and ofcourse the windows OS means i'd be able to run a full version (cracked) of tom tom on it and have excellent functionality of the GPS hardware.

tough one! i aint even looking at nokia's offerings though. i will admit the N95 8GB is very nice model indeed, especially in terms of packed-in features and pocketability - i hooked up a few friends up with ridicolous contracts on it before i quit vodafone. hardly any returns on it in general too. still, it aint really the killer device for myself. SE have gone through a terrible patch though - the performance of their new firmware on the w910i/K850i was absolute pants and pissed loads of people off with it getting corrupt on the sms inbox (essentially breaking the phone). they ironed it out now, but still, not a good look when nokia really got their shit together with the N95 8GB and have had some other very very popular models on the market like the 6300.

the K850i was just a terrible idea in the first place from a design point of view and given their track record with sturdy, reliable models. being the dude that i am my normal phone is still the K810i - a nice refresh on the classic K800i. awesome battery life, rock solid fast firmware, great still cam with xenon flash, decent music playback features, great looks and NO TOUCH SCREEN BULLSHIT. hopefully with these upcoming models SE are gonna be back on top of their game and give those generally unreliable nokia's a good beating. i like the way they don't rush to get the latest features in their devices and hopefully the GPS side of their devices is gonna be a solid addition.

oh and all of samsung's recent offerings have been absolute poo - their crappy iphone replicas (F700, F570 or whatever the newer one is) are just that, crappy - they should stick to what they're good at and whats good - nice small cameraphones without stupid touch sensitive panels. the G600 is pretty much the only model they've done to fit that criteria in the last year and its also been the best device on their consumer range. rant over!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:40:51 PM by Matty »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #506 on: June 14, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
something really puts me off any phone that relies entirely on touch screen technology - the lovely touch cruise, that shiny diamond one and even the iphone. im not really a massive fan of touch screens in general but they do work well on the more computery phones eg. windows mob based devices.
those devices normally have standard keys to fall back on anyway and a
keyboard which is ace for any type of messaging.

I hear what you´re saying.
I´m tired of touch screens myself. I had SE P800,P900 and P990.
But this new joint combines both keys and touch screen;
SE G900

Review of GSM/UMTS-smartphone Sony Ericsson G900
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-g900-en.shtml

if i could afford to get two devices this year i think it would have to be the X1 and that new 8.1MP cybershot model - both from SE (well kind of, the X1 is HTC/SE).
it might have to be one or the other so i'm hoping the X1 delivers on all fronts and it'll most likely be that.
most worrying is the whole sqaures thing they got going for the menus -
it needs to have plenty of ram and processor speed to have 0 slowdown.
unfortunately i've read it could be slightly lacking in atleast one of those areas.
the cybershot one will have a much much better still camera and probably much better video recording too, which is ofcourse appealing. however the X1 apparently still does VGA video recording and ofcourse the windows OS means i'd be able to run a full version (cracked)
of tom tom on it and have excellent functionality of the GPS hardware.

tough one! i aint even looking at nokia's offerings though. i will admit the N95 8GB is very nice model indeed, especially in terms of packed-in features and pocketability - i hooked up a few friends up with ridicolous contracts on it before i quit vodafone. hardly any returns on it in general too. still, it aint really the killer device for myself. SE have gone through a terrible patch though - the performance of their new firmware on the w910i/K850i was absolute pants and pissed loads of people off with it getting corrupt on the sms inbox (essentially breaking the phone). they ironed it out now, but still, not a good look when nokia really got their shit together with the N95 8GB and have had some other very very popular models on the market like the 6300.

What about;
Nokia N96?

It got killer specs.

Nokia N96 review;
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n96-en.shtml

the K850i was just a terrible idea in the first place from a design point of view and given their track record with sturdy, reliable models. being the dude that i am my normal phone is still the K810i - a nice refresh on the classic K800i. awesome battery life, rock solid fast firmware, great still cam with xenon flash, decent music playback features, great looks and NO TOUCH SCREEN BULLSHIT. hopefully with these upcoming models SE are gonna be back on top of their game and give those generally unreliable nokia's a good beating. i like the way they don't rush to get the latest features in their devices and hopefully the GPS side of their devices is gonna be a solid addition.

Don´t all the SE phones with GPS have wayfinder pre-installed?

oh and all of samsung's recent offerings have been absolute poo - their crappy iphone replicas (F700, F570 or whatever the newer one is) are just that, crappy - they should stick to what they're good at and whats good - nice small cameraphones without stupid touch sensitive panels. the G600 is pretty much the only model they've done to fit that criteria in the last year and its also been the best device on their consumer range. rant over!

Don´t really care so much about Samsung either.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:05:01 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

Matty

« Reply #507 on: June 15, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
i've said this plenty of times already but the N96 looks identical to the the N81 in terms of design and build. i know technically it sounds good but remember that the N81 design was horrible - poor quality, badly placed buttons, shiny surface that was terrible for fingerprints and generally a lack of durability or reliability. i'm sure the software will be much better but the actual case design (being the same as the N81) is awful - i wouldn't go anywhere near it. seems like a step backward as the N95 design was alright. maybe a bit sqaure but very usable.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #508 on: June 15, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
I've said this plenty of times already but the N96 looks identical to the the N81 in terms of design and build.

Nokia N81

Nokia N96

I know technically it sounds good but remember that the N81 design was horrible
- poor quality, badly placed buttons, shiny surface that was terrible for fingerprints and generally a lack of durability or reliability.
I'm sure the software will be much better but the actual case design (being the same as the N81) is awful - i wouldn't go anywhere near it. seems like a step backward as the N95 design was alright. maybe a bit sqaure but very usable.

Nokia N95 8GB

True,I hated my N95. Sliders suck.
But what about;
SE G900 About the same specs as N95/N82,but bar design

Review of GSM/UMTS-smartphone Sony Ericsson G900
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-g900-en.shtml

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #509 on: June 15, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »
I guess its down to the Diamond or SE X..or that 8.1MP

too many of my friends got the N95 (havnt seen any N96 since it aint out yet?)

DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008