Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 65928 times)

RAIDErs of the lost ark

Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2008, 09:11:17 AM »
^ah even the captain of this here vessel has seen the light...  8)

So you're saying that I was biased (or still is?)?
ehhhh?
What light?
There's a lot of pros and cons about iPhone like most other brands.
You know this as good as me,nothing is perfect.  :-\ ;) (or should know)
You can choose to close your eyes if you want,
but wouldn't it be more interesting if you could share news,applications and discuss cell phone's in general without making it a iPhone VS everybody?
I don't hold any grudge against you or Ozir,so it's really up to you guys if you want to join in or not.  ;)

I feel ya but there is no denying what apple is doing...
apple was never a cell phone company and in under a year...
they are kicking some major ass and you know the industry is a little shook...
and if they keep improving like this they will continue to taking market share....
i think apple knows that its all in the software... the hardware is the supplement.
other companies are barely starting to understand that  imo

hmmm,this is what I'm seeing going down.
Symbian has for long time been the dominating software suplier,but they don't make computers so they're kinda a little limited there.  :P
When Windows Mobile came into the game,they focused on business phone's. More like a PDA that you could call with.
The iPhone is a multi media phone,that also sync with their computers. So Jackpot.
Windows surely took notice and has released several multi media phones in the past year with much success. (the HTC touch series).
Where does this leave Symbian?
Nokia has bought up all the Symbian stocks,unless they're planing to release computers in near future,this was a stupid move if you ask me.  :P

There's no doubt that Apple and Windows Mobile is stealing a lot of customers from the others.
Why is that? It's pretty obvious (to me) that the software and syncing part is a crucial part of it.

So my predictions for the next 5 years is that Windows Mobile and Apple's OS X will be dominating the market.
That means SonyEricsson,Samsung,Motorola and Nokia got to skip Symbian and focus on Windows Mobile powered devices to survive.

That said it's still 2008 and there's no doubt that
Symbian powered Nokia,SonyEricsson and Samsung´s is way ahead in the game when it comes to hardware specs.
But all the hardware you will ever need is already available,
so it's just a matter of time before iPhone and Windows powered phones will pack their phones with this too.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »
got the HTC diamond...sick!!!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »
^^^it just came in two days ago...havnt even opend the box yet lol...gonna use this weekend...then i'll post a review in a week..to see how it holds up haha

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #543 on: July 12, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
apple and att ran into some major issues yesterday with the release of the new iphone 3g..

all because of the new stupid activation process IN STORE that is required because of the subsidy...

i know Steve Jobs is probably rolling some heads right now..

anyway i am upgraded to iphone 2.0 and the new software and app store is really cool...

DJJohnB

• 'G'
« Reply #544 on: July 12, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
i got an iphone, too many craSHES!!!!!!!!!!

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #545 on: July 13, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
Along with the iPhone 3G, Apple also released iPhone software 2.0.  This software comes installed on the iPhone 3G and OG iPhone users can upgrade for free (which I did).  iPod touch users can upgrade for $10.

2.0 makes improvements in certain areas, but the biggest is the ability to officially install 3rd party applications on the phone.  You can do so by going the the App Store within iTunes.  Many application are free... as a matter of fact, the following screenshots are all from free applications (other than the $4.99 Texas Hold'em which was well worth it.)

Apple made two applications:  Remote & Texas Hold'em.  Remote is free and Texas Hold'em is $4.99.  Both apps are amazing and show off the iPhone's capabilities...

iPhone "desktop"

The App Store (where you can get all these applications... from the iPhone itself or from iTunes)

zenBe (to-do lists... )

Remote (allows you to control iTunes & Apple TV from your iPhone from anywhere in the house... this is a very cool application Apple made)

Google

Twitterrific (a Twitter client)

PayPal

Pandora (really cool online streaming radio type website that is really good at randomly playing stuff you really like to hear)

Texas Hold'em (made by Apple and the only application that cost me money... $4.99 well spent... this is a great implementation)

Tap Tap Revenge (free and pretty cool)

Box Office (find movie theaters near you... get movie reviews... buy tickets... etc.)

The Bible

Light Saber (makes use of the accelerometer in the iPhone to make cool light saber sounds... totally non-productive, but very cool anyway)

Some of the coolest apps are the Facebook app and the MySpace app... they work really well.  I didn't post any screens because of the personal names and stuff on there... but they are really well made.

There's a ton more applications at the App Store... many are free... some you have to pay... most are under $10.

I bought my iPhone June 29, 2007... the first day they came out last year.  With this software update and free applications it feels like I have a new phone.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #546 on: July 14, 2008, 05:52:57 AM »

^^^^ nice screen shots ^^^^  ;)
The iTunes application store is actually genius,
I mean most if not all those applications is available for Symbian and Windows Mobile too.
But how many has actually purchased/downloaded 3rd applications from a 3rd party source for their phone?
To have this available trough iTunes will make it a lot easier for your everyday cat to figure out and even bother to check out.

Applications for Symbian,Palm,Blackberry and Windows Mobile;
http://www.handango.com/home.jsp?siteId=1
http://my-symbian.com/main/index.php
http://www.getjar.com/software/
http://www.symbian-freak.com

The light saber thing is a little nerdy but still fun  :P
Nokia N95 8GB lightsaber!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bi6dNJs_-cY&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bi6dNJs_-cY&amp;hl=en</a>

Light Sabre The Coolest Weapon Ever Gets An Update for symbian
http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_3rd/descriptions/accelerometer/light_sabre_gets_an_update.htm

I’ve just got a tip that Graham has upgraded the famous and pretty popular Light Sabre application to the version 1.5 that brings lot of improvements.

If you have been living under rock for the last few months I’ll briefly inform you that Light Sabre is applications without real purpose but it's still cool as it allows to use your phone as a Light Sabre with a pretty impressive sound effects.

Application actually uses the accelerometer and transfer the movement into cool sound effects.

New version allows complete control over your Sabre via new settings menu that not keeps settings and adds some new features like vibration.

Here is the complete list of the new features:
Vibration support with Sabre Tingle™
Set up your sabre technology™ including
Set Volume
Set Sensitiviy (from 8 (little movement) to 120 (fling across room for swing)
Set Vibration On / Off
Set Hit Detection (Auto detects strong movement as hit, Random, causes random hit effect slightly more responsive)
Set Sabre Colour (Green, Red , Yellow, Blue, Magenta, Cyan, Orange);
Setting are now saved.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:55:36 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #547 on: July 17, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »
official iPhone 3G reviews;
Wall Street Journal,USA Today,New York Times

New York Times
State of the Art For iPhone, the ‘New’ Is Relative
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/technology/personaltech/09pogue.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

One year and 11 days ago, our nation was swept by iPhone Mania.
TV news coverage was relentless. Hard-core fans camped out to be the first in line.
Bloggers referred to Apple’s new product as the “Jesus phone.”

It was a stunning black slab of glass: a cellphone, a brilliant music and video player and the best pocket Internet terminal the world had ever seen. The huge, bright, touch-sensitive screen made it addictive fun to rotate, page through or magnify your photos, videos and Web pages.

Today, the iPhone is in the hands of six million people. Clumsy touch-screen lookalikes from rival phone makers line the shelves.

And Friday is the iPhone’s second coming.

This time, though, when the iPhone 3G goes on sale in AT&T and Apple stores, iPhone Mania will be considerably more muted. That’s partly because the mystery is gone, partly because the AT&T service costs more and partly because there aren’t many new features in what Apple is calling the iPhone 3G.

The new name hints at the biggest change: this iPhone can bring you the Internet much faster. It can exploit AT&T’s third-generation (3G) cellular network, which brings you Web pages in less than half the time as the old iPhone.

As a handy bonus, 3G means that you can talk on the iPhone and surf the Internet simultaneously, which you couldn’t do before.

There is, however, a catch: you don’t get that speed or those features unless you’re in one of AT&T’s 3G network areas — and there aren’t many of them. The 3G coverage map at wireless.att.com/coverageviewer (zoom in and turn on “View 3G/Mobile Broadband Coverage” below the map) reveals that in 16 states, only three cities or fewer are covered; 10 states have no coverage at all. (Tip: Whenever you’re outside of a 3G area, turning off the iPhone’s 3G feature doubles the battery’s talk time, to 10 hours from 5.)

AT&T hastens to note that its 3G coverage will expand, and also that it will get even faster over time. (3G is a much bigger deal in the 70 other countries where the iPhone will soon be available because 3G is much more common.)

The other drastic change is the iPhone’s price: $200 for the 8-gigabyte model, $300 for the 16-gig. Those are terrific prices for a machine with so much sophistication, utility and power; a year ago, an 8-gig iPhone would have cost you $600.

But the iPhone 3G is not really, as Apple’s Web site puts it, “half the price.” The basic AT&T plan — unlimited Internet and 450 minutes of calling — now costs $70 a month instead of $60 (plus taxes and fees), and comes with no text messages instead of 200. (Adding text messaging costs at least $5 a month more.)

True, iPhone 3G service now matches the plans for AT&T’s other 3G phones; still, by the end of your two-year contract, the iPhone 3G will have cost you more than the old iPhone, not less.

The third improvement is audio quality, which has taken a gigantic step forward. You sound crystal clear to your callers, and they sound crystal clear to you. In fact, few cellphones sound this good.

The other improvements are smaller, but welcome. For example, the new iPhone feels even better in your hand, thanks to a gracefully curved, shiny plastic back. It also has a standard headphone jack — hallelujah! — so no clunky adapter is required for your favorite non-Apple headphones. The power adapter has been shrunk down to a one-inch cube, so it doesn’t hog an extra spot on your power strip.

The new iPhone has true G.P.S. now, too, in addition to the fake G.P.S. of its predecessor — an ingenious system that shows your location on a map by analyzing nearby cellphone towers and Wi-Fi hot spots.

Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do with the G.P.S. According to Apple, the iPhone’s G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example.

Instead, all it can do at this point is track your position as you drive along, representing you as a blue dot sliding along the roads of the map. Even then, the metal of a car or the buildings of Manhattan are often enough to block the iPhone’s view of the sky, leaving it just as confused as you are.

There are lots of small software improvements. The four-function calculator now turns into a scientific calculator when you rotate the phone 90 degrees. There’s an address book search box, parental controls and instant language switching. (That feature is made possible by the on-screen keyboard, with keys that change to reflect the language you’ve selected. “That’s really hard to do on your BlackBerry,” says an Apple rep.)

And speaking of the BlackBerry crowd: Apple also says that the iPhone works better with corporate systems, like Microsoft Exchange and ActiveSync.

Note, though, that these software tweaks aren’t iPhone 3G features. They’re part of the free software upgrade called iPhone 2.0, which will be available to the six million original iPhones, starting Friday. For $10, even iPod Touch owners can get this upgrade.

Unfortunately, most of the standard cellphone features that were missing from the first iPhone are still missing. There’s still no voice dialing, video recording, copy-and-paste, memory-card slot, Bluetooth stereo audio or phone-to-phone photo sending (MMS). And when the battery needs replacement after a couple of years, you’ll still have to pay Apple $86 for a replacement.

Plenty of Appleholics have expressed dismay at how little the handset has changed. They’d gotten their hopes up for the second-generation iPhone: video phone calls! iPhone Nano! 3G hovercraft!

But there is one towering tsunami of a feature that may well shut them up.

It’s the iPhone App Store: a central, complete, drop-dead simple online catalog of new programs for the iPhone. Hundreds will be available when the store opens Friday, with thousands to follow. You browse, download and install new programs directly on the iPhone; they don’t have to be transferred from a computer, and you don’t have to hack the phone to use them. Most of the programs will be free or cheap.

Apple has demonstrated 16 of these programs, including an instant message program, an eBay auction tracker, medical references and a touch-sensitive musical keyboard; the best of them exploit the iPhone’s orientation sensor, wireless technologies and other high-tech components.

One coming program, called iCall, will give you free phone calls when you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot. Another, called G-Park, exploits G.P.S. to help you find where you parked. Yet another, Urbanspoon, is “a cross between a magic eight ball and a slot machine:" you shake the phone, and it randomly displays the name of a good restaurant nearby, using the iPhone’s G.P.S. and motion sensor.

You can also expect to see a time and expense tracker, home-automation remote control, voice recorder, Etch-a-Sketch, a recipe box, tip calculator, currency converter, e-book reader and so on.

Above all, the iPhone is about to become a dazzling hand-held game machine. The games revealed so far feature smooth 3-D graphics and tilt control; in one driving simulator, you turn the iPhone itself like a steering wheel, and your 3-D car on the screen banks accordingly. Other games exploit the multitouch screen, so you and a buddy can sit at opposite ends of the screen and fire at each other.

In short, the iPhone is about to become much more than a phone. And here’s the best part: the App Store is also available to the original iPhones and the iPod Touch.

So the iPhone 3G is a nice upgrade. It more than keeps pace with advancing technology, and new buyers will generally be delighted.

But it’s not so much better that it turns all those original iPhones into has-beens. Indeed, the really big deal is the iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store, neither of which requires buying a new iPhone. That twist may come as a refreshing surprise to planned-obsolescence conspiracy theorists — and everyone who stood in line last year.

USA Today
Apple's new iPhone 3G: Still not perfect, but really close
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2008-07-08-iphone-3g-review_N.htm

Extra, extra: iPhone 3G: The Sequel, is worth the wait.

It's cheaper, faster and a lot friendlier for business. Apple's blockbuster smartphone already had nifty features such as visual voicemail, a splendid built-in video iPod and the best mobile Web browser I've ever used. With GPS newly added to the mix, this handheld marvel has no equal among consumer-oriented smartphones.

RELATED: IPhone's security features may lure businesses

I reach that verdict after having tested the new iPhone for more than two weeks.

And that's without trying out the eagerly anticipated online Apps store. There, you'll be able to purchase programs from outside developers covering everything from social-networking tools to games. The Apps (for "applications") feature doesn't go live until Friday, when the new phone starts selling at Apple and AT&T stores.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: New Jersey | China | Apple | iPod | iTunes | Verizon | Sprint | Mac | Edge | Bluetooth | iPhones | PowerPoint | Voyager | Witness | Mark Siegel | Sequel | Samsung Instinct | Apps | iPhone 3G Still

The iPhone's successor arrives a full year after the mind-boggling hype and hysteria surrounding the first iteration's debut. Whatever your opinion of that first iPhone — and I've been a lot more positive than negative — its impact far outweighs the 6 million units that have been sold to date.

Apple's presence has re-energized the handheld computing category, practically begging smartphone rivals for a response: Witness the Samsung Instinct from Sprint, and LG's Voyager from Verizon.

In my first review, I wrote, "iPhone isn't perfect, or even the most ideal smartphone for every user."

The statement holds true with iPhone 3G, though frankly, the list of reasons the device doesn't make sense for a certain class of users is shrinking fast.

Start with buyers on a budget who might have loved an iPhone but couldn't afford one.

Apple has already announced that an 8-gigabyte iPhone 3G costs $199 with a two-year AT&T service contract, down from $599. A 16-GB model fetches $299. One catch: The service contract now costs more.

Next are business customers. Many companies were hesitant to cozy up to iPhone for corporate e-mail and other services. They fretted about security.

But I've been using iPhone 3G to access my USA TODAY mail, calendar and contacts. Messages and calendar entries are "pushed" to the device, so they show up right away, just as they do on other computers. With your employer's blessing, set-up is a relative cinch.

But not all of iPhone's early drawbacks have disappeared. You still cannot shoot video, take advantage of Bluetooth stereo or dial with a voice command. Such features are common on rival devices. (I'm hoping some shortcomings will be addressed by third-party developers.)

Meanwhile, for all the hoopla involving AT&T's speedier, third-generation network, I couldn't access 3G in parts of my northern New Jersey neighborhood and elsewhere. When the fast network isn't available, the phone automatically reverts to the pokier and oft-maligned Edge network.

IPhone 3G still lacks a physical keyboard, too. You'll have to get comfortable with "tapping," "flicking," "pinching" and other finger-typing tricks with its virtual keyboard, which only appears on the screen as required — when you are entering a Web address, for instance, or typing a note.

With practice, I've gotten pretty good at it. A big challenge is learning to trust it as it makes predictive auto-corrections on the fly. But it's not for everybody.

Even the old phone gets a makeover with new iPhone 2.0 software. Among other features, it supplies layouts for several international keyboards. You can even use your finger to draw Chinese characters.

You can also more easily search through your address books when locating contacts to call or message. The phone now supports PowerPoint attachments; and you can move or delete multiple e-mail messages at once.

Another change (on older and newer iPhones): You no longer receive a pop-up offering to remove a downloaded movie after watching it, to free up space.

One thing that made the first iPhone so much fun was its motion sensor or "accelerometer," which orients the screen from landscape to portrait, as you admire photos or surf the Web.New cool stunt: You can switch from a basic calculator to a scientific one, by rotating the screen.

Activation

Those who bought the first iPhone had to activate the device on a PC or Mac in their home or office. That's when you received an AT&T phone number and chose your voice and text-messaging minutes.

Now, you take care of those details in an AT&T or Apple store. "We want people to leave the store with their phones up and running, and leave them with a buying experience similar to what they're used to with other phones," says AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel.

The practice also cracks down on folks who want to "unlock" the iPhone so they can switch to another carrier.

You still sync up all your music, pictures and more through iTunes software back at your computer.

The network

Apple's claims that 3G speeds are twice as fast as Edge were confirmed by my own download tests. It generally took 10 to 30 seconds to load popular websites through 3G, a lot zippier than when I accessed the sites on Edge. Oddly, parts of the pages sometimes showed up first on the older iPhone screen. But pages always finished loading on the 3G device first, often by a half minute or more. Wi-Fi, if available, is still the fastest method for downloads.

AT&T says its 3G network is now in 280 major metropolitan markets, with 350 planned by the end of the year. But as I discovered in my own greater New York City neighborhood, there are still holes in 3G coverage areas.

Appearance

The physical size and shape of the new iPhone hasn't changed much. There's the same lovely 3 1/2-inch multi-touch display. The new device is a bit curvier on the back than the first one.

GALLERY: Photos of the 3G iPhone

The metal backing of the initial device has been superseded by a sturdy glossy plastic. The phone feels perfectly comfortable in my palm. The ringer switch and other physical buttons are now metal. My test unit came in black, though Apple will be selling a white version, as well.

The design changes aren't merely aesthetic. They're a nod to iPhone's 10 internal wireless radios. Plastic, unlike metal, is transparent to radio waves, improving reception, Apple says.

The headphone jack is now flush so it can accommodate any standard (3.5-mm) headphone, a welcome development to those of us who needed a clumsy adapter to use our favorite non-Apple headphones.

You can use iPhone's internal microphone to talk if your own headphones don't have one. Just be sure to really snap in your headphones; otherwise, sound comes through the iPhone's own speakers, not the headphones.

GPS

By "triangulating" signals from Wi-Fi and cellphone towers, the iPhone could previously determine your general location. GPS adds live tracking and may deliver more precise results.

I was pretty impressed by the accuracy on the new device as I drove along in my car, searched for nearby pizza places, and requested directions.

Alas, the feature begs for the audible turn-by-turn directions found on Samsung's Instinct and others. (Again, I'm hoping a third-party developer will fill the void.)

Pictures

IPhone remains a fabulous photo viewer. But Apple hasn't done much to improve its 2-megapixel camera. You still can't zoom, shoot video or use a flash. Taking pictures is a tad clumsy.

But the presence of GPS means pictures can be "geo-tagged" with the location in which they were taken. After syncing images with a computer, you might plot their location on a map. Geotagged pictures ought to work well with social-networking applications.

A nice new feature built into the iPhone 2.0 software lets you easily save a Web image to your phone or a picture that arrives via e-mail. You can use the image as the phone's "wallpaper" or sync it to your computer.

You can also post pictures to Apple's new MobileMe Gallery on the Web, part of a $100-a-year subscription service. The MobileMe service, the latest iteration of what used to be called .Mac, was also not ready for testing.

Audio quality

Apple has improved overall audio quality of the device. The speaker phone sounded better, as did music played directly through the phone's speaker.

Of course, it all still sounds better wearing headphones.

Parental controls

A new "restrictions" feature (found in Settings) means Mom and Dad can prevent the kids from downloading any applications, or from accessing the Safari Web browser, YouTube, or iTunes.

Turn on the YouTube restriction, for example, and the icon for the video site disappears from the iPhone home screen.

Powering up

There's a new small, easy-to-travel-with power adapter. Apple says you'll get five hours of talk time on a 3G network, double on Edge, and up to 300 hours of standby.

You can turn off 3G to preserve the battery. I started receiving low battery warnings toward the end of a busy work day; I found myself charging the device overnight, the same as with the older iPhone.

But I couldn't juice up the latest device using my Bose SoundDock or Belkin car kit. Apple says there will be adapters to permit charging with certain older accessories.

Technical explanation: The new iPhone only supports USB circuitry, not another method known as FireWire.

Wish list

As with its predecessor, iPhone 3G doesn't support popular Web browsing standards such as Adobe Flash, Windows Media Video or Java. And there's still no removable battery.

I'd have also loved Apple to add a slot for expandable memory. It did not.

While not everything on my wish list made it onto the new device, Apple has raised the bar with iPhone 3G. To which I offer an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Wall Street Journal
Newer, Faster, Cheaper iPhone 3G
Software and Online Store Will Widen Its Versatility, But There Are Hidden Costs

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080708/newer-faster-cheaper-iphone-3g/

Apple Inc.’s iPhone has been the world’s most influential smart phone since its debut a year ago, widely hailed for its beauty and functionality. It was a true hand-held computer that raised the bar for all its competitors. But that first iPhone had two big drawbacks: It was expensive, and it couldn’t access the fastest cellular-phone networks.

On Friday, Apple (AAPL) is launching a second-generation iPhone, called the iPhone 3G, which addresses both of those problems, while retaining the look and feel of the first model’s hardware and software.

The base version of the new iPhone costs $199 — half the $399 price of its predecessor; the higher-capacity version is now $299, down from $499. Yet, this new iPhone is much, much faster at fetching data over cellphone networks because it uses a speedy cellular technology called 3G. And it now sports a GPS chip for better location sensing.

The company also is rolling out the second generation of its iPhone operating system, with some nice new features, including wireless synchronization with corporate email, calendars and address books. And there’s a new online store for third-party iPhone programs that Apple hopes will make the device usable for a wider variety of tasks, including gaming and productivity applications. This new software and store will also be available on older iPhones, through a free upgrade.

I’ve been testing the iPhone 3G for a couple of weeks, and have found that it mostly keeps its promises. In particular, I found that doing email and surfing the Internet typically was between three and five times as fast using AT&T’s 3G network as it was with the older AT&T network to which the first iPhone was limited.

Apple’s new iPhone operating system includes an ‘App store,’ where you can browse for, and download, third-party software.

The iPhone 3G is hardly the first phone to run on 3G networks, and it still costs more than some of its competitors. But overall, I found it to be a more capable version of an already excellent device. And now that it’s open to third-party programs, the iPhone has a chance to become a true computing platform with wide versatility.

There are two big hidden costs to the new iPhone’s faster speed and lower price tag. First, in my tests, the iPhone 3G’s battery was drained much more quickly in a typical day of use than the battery on the original iPhone, due to the higher power demands of 3G networks. This is an especially significant problem because, unlike most other smart phones, the iPhone has a sealed battery that can’t be replaced with a spare.

Second, Apple’s exclusive carrier in the U.S., AT&T Inc. (T), has effectively negated the iPhone’s up-front price cut by jacking up its monthly fee for unlimited data use by $10. Over the course of the two-year contract you must sign to get the lower hardware prices, that adds $240, overwhelming the $200 savings on the phone itself. If you want text messaging, the cost rises further. With the first iPhone, 200 text messages a month came free. Now, 200 messages will cost $5 a month, or another $120 over the two-year contract.

The iPhone 3G still has a couple of features that made the first version unpalatable to some potential buyers. It uses a virtual on-screen keyboard instead of a physical one. While I find the virtual keyboard easy and accurate, not everyone does. Also, in the U.S. and in many other countries, the iPhone is still tied to a single exclusive carrier, whose coverage or rate plans may be unacceptable to some.

Here is a rundown of the changes in the new model.

Design: The new iPhone looks almost exactly like the old one. It is the same length and width, has the same big, vivid screen, and has the same number and layout of buttons. The main difference is the back, which is now plastic instead of mostly metal and curved instead of flat. It’s very slightly thicker in the middle, with tapered edges, and weighs a tiny bit less.

The new iPhone 3G (left) delivers much higher Internet download speeds over cellular networks than the original iPhone (right).

Like its predecessor, the iPhone 3G comes in two models distinguished only by storage capacity: 8 gigabytes and 16 gigabytes. The top model is available in black or white.

Apple has greatly improved the audio on the new iPhone. I found the speaker was much louder, for music and for the speakerphone. But the new phone produced an echo when used with the built-in Bluetooth system in my car. Also, the headphone jack is now flush with the case instead of recessed as on the first model, so it can accept any standard stereo earphones.

The camera, however, is still bare-bones. It can’t record video and has a resolution of just two megapixels. The power adapter is now tiny, at least in the U.S., but Apple no longer includes a dock for charging, just a cable.

Software: The basic software is similar. The biggest addition for some users will be full compatibility with Microsoft’s (MSFT) widely used Exchange ActiveSync service, which many corporations use. In my tests, I was able to connect the iPhone 3G to my company’s Exchange servers in a few minutes, and my corporate email, calendar and contacts were replicated on the phone. Any changes I made on the iPhone were reflected almost instantly in Microsoft Outlook on my company PC, and vice versa. Email was pushed to the phone as soon as it was received on the company’s servers.

One drawback: While you can have both personal and Exchange email accounts on the new iPhone, if you synchronize with Exchange calendars and contacts, your personal calendar and contacts are erased.

The new iPhone and upgraded older iPhones also will be able to use a new Apple consumer service, MobileMe, which offers synchronized push email, calendars, photos and contacts.

There are other improvements. You can now delete multiple emails at once, set parental controls and search your contacts. You can also save photos in emails or from Web sites. You can also now open Microsoft PowerPoint files sent as attachments, though I found in my tests that opening larger PowerPoint files crashed the phone.

Some software features missing from the first iPhone are still AWOL on the new one. There’s no copy and paste function, no universal search, no instant messaging and no MMS for sending photos quickly between phones.

Network: Like the old iPhone, the new one can perform Internet tasks using either Wi-Fi wireless networking or the cellphone networks. But the addition of 3G cellular capability makes the new model more useful for Web surfing, email and other data tasks when you’re not in Wi-Fi range. In my tests, in Washington and New York, I got data speeds mostly ranging between 200 and 500 kilobits per second. By comparison, the original iPhone, tested in the same spots at the same time, mostly got cellular data speeds between 70 and 150 kbps on AT&T’s old EDGE network. The new iPhone typically was between three and five times as fast as the old one.

While AT&T now has 3G networks in 280 U.S. cities, and aims to be in 350 by year end, it is converting its cellphone towers gradually, so not all areas of included cities have 3G coverage. The new iPhone falls back to EDGE speeds when 3G isn’t present.

One side benefit to 3G is that in some areas, voice coverage improves. At my neighborhood shopping center, where the first iPhone got little or no AT&T service, the iPhone 3G registered strong coverage. But I still found that calls regularly broke up on some major streets. In New York City, riding in a taxi along the Hudson, one important call was dropped three times on the new iPhone. Finally, I borrowed a cheap Verizon (VZ) phone and got perfect reception.

Battery life: Apple claims that over 3G, the new iPhone can get five hours of talk time, or five hours of Internet use. Talk time is twice as long on the older EDGE network, and Internet time is an hour better with Wi-Fi.

I ran my own battery tests using the phone’s 3G capability. Although I left the Wi-Fi function on, I didn’t connect it to a network, so the phone had to rely on 3G. In my test of voice calling, I got 4 hours and 27 minutes, short of Apple’s maximum claim and nearly three hours less than what I recorded in the same test last year on the original iPhone. In my test of Internet use over 3G, I got 5 hours and 49 minutes, better than Apple’s claim, but far short of the nine hours I got using Wi-Fi in last year’s tests.

More important, in daily use, I found the battery indicator on the new 3G model slipping below 20% by early afternoon or midafternoon on some days, and it entirely ran out of juice on one day. I overcame this problem by learning to use Wi-Fi instead of 3G whenever possible, turning down the screen brightness and even turning off 3G altogether, which the phone permits.

The iPhone 3G’s battery life is comparable to, or better than, that of some other 3G competitors. But they have replaceable batteries. The iPhone doesn’t.

Third-party software: If things go as Apple hopes, third-party software could be the biggest attraction to the new iPhone 3G, and to upgraded older iPhones. By some estimates, there will be hundreds of these programs, some free and some paid, almost immediately.

Apple didn’t supply me with programs for testing, but I managed to try several on older devices upgraded to the new operating system. I tested a game that used the phone’s motion sensors to control the action, and I tested several programs from America Online (TWX), including AOL Instant Messenger; AOL Radio, which streams music from the Internet; and AOL’s Truveo video search engine. All worked very well.

Among the programs Apple has publicly previewed were a sales automation program from Salesforce.com, a game called Super Monkey Ball from Sega and a program for bidding on eBay (EBAY). Also made public were a news reader from the Associated Press, a program for following live games from Major League Baseball and several programs for doctors, including the Epocrates drug reference.

Bottom line: If you’ve been waiting to buy an iPhone until it dropped in price, or ran on faster cell networks, you might want to take the plunge, if you can live with the higher service costs and the weaker battery life. The same goes for those with existing iPhones who love the device but crave faster cellular data speeds. But if you already own an iPhone, and can usually use Wi-Fi for data, you probably should hold off and get the free software upgrade before deciding whether it’s worth getting the new hardware.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #548 on: July 19, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
News

SonyEricsson X1 copy  :P;
SongLiveX1
http://www.eemobi.cn/mobile/13/1617/6681.aspx

The most recommended feature of X1 is its auto horizontal function.We just push the screen,it can become horizontal as our habbit!
Through it is not a smart phone,its functions will make you satisfactory.
Dual sim dual standby dual bluetooth dual camera and TV,even its NES simulator all give you a good choice.

Operating Frequency:   GSM
Network Frequency:   900/1800MHz
SIZE(L×W×H):   110*58*23mm
Weight/package:   145G
Color:   black
Talk time:   250-350m
Style:   Slide phone
Standby time:   200-400h

Additional features   
Language:    English/French/Vietnamese/Russian/Arabic/Spanish
LCD Size:    3.0 inch, 16000 thousand color; PX: 240×320px
Ringtone:    72 chord; Ringtone format: mp3, midi; Call: support to inquire about the opponent city’s name
Music:    play mp3 at background; support equalizer,MP3 as ringtone
Video:    3GP,MP4,support to play in full screen
FM radio:    FM stereo,strong loudspeaker
Camera:    13.0 lacpixel; dual camera, support to shoot with sound,the time depends on the storage
Rom:    761K/256MB TF,support to extend TF card to 4G maxi, Document management
Data Transfer:    U disc/ Bluetooth file transmission, voice
Standby Photo:    jpg, gif
Game Platform:    NES/GBS game simulator, support to download more than 2000 Nintendo games
Main features   
Telephone directories:    500 groups ,different ringtone for groups,incoming call with big head sticker or films
Messages &Multimedia messaging:    200 messages, MMS
Schedule power on/off:    support auto start/close, can set MP4 as the photo of start/close
Alarm clock:    support MP3 as ringtone
Games:    2 common game,NES,support to download more than 2000 Nintendo games,horizontal screen
More information:    MP3/MP4/Handsfree/SMS group sending/Voice recorder/WAP/Handwritten input/Handwritten + keyboard input/Radio/Bluetooth/GPRS download/MMS/Memory extended/E-book/dual sim dual standby dual bluetooth dual camera,super-long standby,up-sliding/auto horizontal,strong TV signal/health management....

i8510 Samsung cooking up an 8 Mega Pixel Symbian powered beast?
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/13/i8510-samsung-cooking-up-an-8-megapixel-s60-beast/

All we can say is… Wow. Ok, obviously that’s not all we’re going to say but the latest Samsung handset making its way through the rumor mill seems way too good to be true. Apparently Samsung is working on a new S60 slider that, if it lives up to the specs, might make the Nokia N95 look like a kid’s toy. In fact forget the N95, this thing might just stomp all over the N96 as well. Seriously, look at these specs:
2.8-inch QVGA (240×320 pixels), 16m colors
8 megapixel camera with auto-focus, xenon flash (though it looks like LED in the image above) and 120 fps video recording
UMTS with HSDPA support, WiFi, GPS, TV out, DivX support, dedicated 3D graphics chip
Optical mouse (same as i780 and i900 Omnia)
1200 mAh battery
106.5×53.9×16.9 mm metal case
16 GB internal memory (possibly an 8 GB version as well)

Some people are reporting that the i8510 will run Feature Pack 1 while we’ve also read a few claims of FP2. Obviously we’re hoping for the latter but then again, if Samsung stays true to form none of this will matter for us here in the US. It seems like every time we see sweet high-end handset come out of Samsung it has a tri-band GSM antenna stuffed inside. Samsung! Please! Say it with us; “quaaaaaad-band”…

^^^^ Samsung got a multi media killer there ^^^^  :o

News

FiiO, the $8.50 Headphone Amp
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/07/fiio-the-850-headphone-amp.php

When I came across the FiiO headphone amp a few days ago
I immediately dismissed it as crap and posted a topic on it on Head-Fi presenting it as the cheapest headphone amp out there.
Someone then mentioned that there was an entire thread;
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/fiio-amps-323979/
dedicated to the thing and that feedback is pretty darn good.

According to the Head-Fi thread the FiiO amp is far from crap and offer very good sound quality.
The size adds to the usability as it seems to be about twice as big as the AAA battery it runs on.
Headphone amps are normally a bit bulky for most people and few other ampsthe FiiO's size.
It all sounds (too) good and for $8.50 shipped worldwide;
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14303
it might turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread.
I myself have ordered one just to see if there is any truth to the Head-Fi fuzz.
I still think it's too good to be true, but I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks.

Looks like I got to cope one  :P :P :P

FiiO E3 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (1*AA) Price: $8.50
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14303

In Stock: ships in 1 to 3 days    Worldwide Free Shipping
Manufacturer's product description:
The smallest portable headphone amplifier in the world!
Improves the sound quality for MP3 MP4 Players Computers or Mobile Phones when using earphones or headphones.
Save your player battery and lengthen the play time when playing music.
It’s not about volume but Quality. A great pair of headphones can change you're listening experience--but only if they are driven well and properly powered. Put an E3 Headphone Amplifier between your music source and your favourite pair of headphones or earphones for an awesome personal listening experience right between your ears.
-Designed for high impendence and low sensitivity headphones, with bass boost function;
-Small and easy to carry and use in the outdoors;
-Increase your music player's play time;
-Uses only one AAA battery, for 20 hours playtime.

Specifications:
Output Power 70 mW (32 ohms Loaded) 12 mW (300 ohms Loaded)
Signal to Noise Ratio >= 90 dB (A Weight)
Distortion < 0.05% (10 mW)
Frequency Response 10 Hz - 40 kHz
Suitable Headphone Impedance 16 ohms - 300 ohms
Weight 11 grams (without battery)
Power Supply 1 AAA Battery
Dimensions 55 mm x 23 mm x 14.5 mm

News;

World's first jailbroken iPhone 3G - PwnageTool 2.0 pwns iPhone 3G
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/15/worlds-first-jailbroken-iphone-3g-pwnagetool-20-pwns-iphone-3g.html

We already knew the intrepid iPhone hackers on the iPhone Dev Team had a working jailbreak solution for the iPhone 2.0 OS firmware, but there's nothing like a nice video to really hammer home the fact that the iPhone 3G is only days away from a public jailbreak release.

The iPhone 3G jailbreak is nigh! And, staying true to their promise all those months ago, the iPhone Dev Team is using PwnageTool 2.0 to do all the legwork for anyone looking to get their iPhone 3G up and running with full filesystem access and with any GSM carrier (after unlocking it, of course).

Hit the video to see PwnageTool 2.0 doing its thing on an iPhone 3G.

<a href="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1344970&amp;amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp;amp;show_title=1&amp;amp;show_byline=1&amp;amp;show_portrait=0&amp;amp;color=&amp;amp;fullscreen=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1344970&amp;amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp;amp;show_title=1&amp;amp;show_byline=1&amp;amp;show_portrait=0&amp;amp;color=&amp;amp;fullscreen=1</a>

Nokia Chat ushers Nokia users in to location-based social networking
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/15/nokia-chat-ushers-nokia-users-in-to-location-based-social-networking.html

With the iPhone and iPhone 3G already rocking more than a handful of location-based mobile social networking applications and services, it makes sense that Nokia is looking to throw their hat in to the ring and offer their own location-aware social network. Nokia Chat opens up a world of mobile social networking that incorporates positional-data in to its users' profiles.

Nokia's Chat instant-messaging client ties in your current location to let everyone in your contacts-list know just where you're hanging out. And, users can tag certain landmarks as "hotspots" that will broadcast a message to any friends in the immediate area. Give the video a once-over and find out if you want all your friends knowing exactly where you are.

Find Nokia Chat here;
http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/chat

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HalBedQpNCA&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HalBedQpNCA&amp;hl=en</a>

News;

iPhone 3G Jailbroken
http://gizmodo.com/5025415/iphone-3g-jailbroken

After unlocking and jailbreaking iPhone OS 2.0, the iPhone Dev Team has now liberated the new iPhone 3G, only five days after launch.
This means a Pwnage tool that will allow you to install the unofficial applications that Apple doesn't want you to have in your iPhone
—like video recording apps or game emulators—alongside with the App Store ones.
The upcoming Pwnage will support the classic iPhone, the iPod touch, and the iPhone 3G.

iPhone Dev Blog;
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/42344032/not-sat-on-our-hands

News;

Sony Ericsson W902
http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2008/se-w902-en.shtml

-Specs; Unknown but by the looks of it,it packs a 5.0 MPX camera with auto-focus and LED flash

Sony Ericsson W585i
http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2008/se-w585-en.shtml

-Specs unknown.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:36:20 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #549 on: July 19, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »
"Ban" tusken Raider for spamming with "cell phone ads."

h2k4

« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »
"Ban" tusken Raider for spamming with "cell phone ads."

LOL!

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
News;

Nokia 5800 “Tube” Poses for Some Dirty Pics
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/26/nokia-5800-tube-poses-for-some-dirty-pics/

Ok seriously.
If you’re going release some leaked handset shots on the internet and you know they’re going to spread like wildfire,
the least you can do is hose that sucker off. Come on guys, it looks like Darryl Jenks got his hands on the Tube and Soul Glo-ed it all up.
Whatever the case may be, these pics came from half way around the world so the least we can do is check them out, right?
Here it is; Nokia’s upcoming mid-range 5800 XpressMusic aka Tube in all of its greasy glory.

There are also some interesting additions to the specs, which currently line up as follows:
Measurements: 111 × 52 × 14.5 mm, and weighs only 104 grams.
16 million color TFT LCD, 640 × 360 pixel resolution, 16:9 display mode
Haptic feedback
3.2 megapixel camera, Carl Zeiss optics with autofocus
Dual LED flash
Built-in GPS
140 MB RAM
GSM / GPRS / EDGE / WCDMA / HSDPA / WLAN / Bluetooth
3.5 mm audio jack, TV-out
BL-5J 1150 mAh battery

All things considered, it could shape up to be a pretty hot little handset.
We’re really hoping that those are some pre-release graphics though, especially on the keypad shots.
It would be a shame to waste that fantastic 640 × 360 resolution on Windows 3.1-looking buttons.
Hit the jump to see what we’re talking about.

Freeware Call Manager for Symbian OS
http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_3rd/descriptions/calling/call_filter_freeware_call_utility.htm

Tired of answering phone calls? Than let Call Filter to hang up the call for you. It is the classic black lister that sends busy signal to unwanted incoming.

Call Filter is a utility application realised under the concept "Simple Yet Efficient" for your Symbian devices.

It allows you to hang-up any incoming calls from contacts selected as a filter rule in main application screen. Gives you a very convenient and quick access to block/unblock some phone number at runtime.

This is convenient in situations when your BOSS is always on your head and you don't want to answer his call at certain moments during the day, it takes a few clicks and you are done blocking your BOSS calls. The logs screen maintains a list of rejected calls and allows placing a quick call or an sms to the rejected phone number. So this is what we call "Simple Yet Efficient".

The rules screen allowing users to add any contact or a phone number that shall be rejected automatically. As soon as a rule is added it is set as active, note the green light, later if you would like to allow incoming calls from this number tap the light and that particular rule would become inactive.

Logs screen allows you to have a very quick look to the calls that were rejected by the Call Filter application with time stamps and the date.

Basic Featuers:
Blocks unwanted calls
Allows block/unblock calls on the go ..
Maintains a log of rejected calls .. and allows to send an sms or make a call to the rejected caller immediately !
The best of all .... its all at no cost ...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:06:15 PM by tusken RAIDEr »

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #552 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »
So i've had the Diamond for more than a couple of weeks now...and its dope. Battery life is pretty much the same as my Blackberry Pearl if im using all of its power...which is a day. I charge it every night. Im thinkin about getting that battery to see if it extends it..but i charge it everynight so i don't know if theres any point....no expandle memory is gay..but thats why i got an ipod. haha...and it pretty much runs just as fast my buddy's Iphone (which isn't G3)...so i need to use the new iphone to really tell if its slower

Otherwise..its a great buy...im the only one who has it haha. fuck an iphone

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #553 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
got the HTC diamond...sick!!!

HTC Touch Diamond hands-on Review
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/05/htc-touch-diamond-hands-on.html

It’s finally here! The good folks at HTC have been good enough to send over an HTC Touch Diamond for consideration. I’ve been playing with this handsome little phone for the past few days, and let me just say, it’s the slickest Windows Mobile handset that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using - which is saying a lot.

Compared to my iPhone 3G (a comparison that is inevitable in today’s market), the HTC Touch Diamond is just soo much smaller and compact that I’m inclined to refer to it as “cute.” But, don’t let its svelte profile fool you, the Touch Diamond is about as good as it gets in the touchscreen smartphone world.

TouchFLO 3D is as easy on the eyes as it is on your fingers. Swiping theinterface slides the homescreen to different sets of functions - web, programs, weather, etc. The touchscreen is pressure sensitive but seems to have been calibrated to feel like a capacitance display. The lightest of screen-presses is all that’s required to register a touch-input.

GPS locks on relatively quickly, and is accurate enough to navigate my way around Old Town Pasadena by foot. Google Maps integration allows you to cross-reference search results and even call the business that you just looked up.

The on-screen virtual keyboard looks like it’s too small to use at first, but has proven to be quite usable. I may have an unfair advantage from my year of training on the iPhone’s industry-leading virtual keyboard, but that doesn’t detract from how well HTC has managed to design their compact keyboard (although, stubby-fingered users may have more difficulty using the keyboard).

And, let’s not forget the beautiful VGA display. There’s nothing like a side-by-side image comparison with the iPhone’s 3.5″ display to really highlight how much more crisp images look on the HTC Touch Diamond’s screen. Check the gallery below for some comparison shots.

The phone is dope,going to be HUGE success for HTC. I heard the battery life was a little bad so...;
HTC Touch Diamond extended battery available to pre-order
http://www.mobile-review.com/fullnews/main/index_eng.shtml

In the first part of out HTC Touch Diamond review,
we made a point about the insufficient battery life of HTC’s Diamond.
So, the inevitable has happened,
online retailer Expansys is offering an extended battery for the Touch Diamond,
although Expansys doesn’t state the capacity, another retailer states it’s 1800 mAh, against the Diamond’s original 900 mAh.

No release date is given, but it can’t be too far off of the horizon.

^^^it just came in two days ago,haven't even opened the box yet lol,gonna use it this weekend... ^^^
then I'll post a review in a week.. to see how it holds up haha

Cool,looking forward to it. EDIT; How did your "week" with your new toy go?
I have just browsed some reviews of it quick.

The pros was; (as far as I can remember)
-a beautiful UI (like iPhone)

The cons was; (as far as I can remember)
-slower than iPhone (a little)  :P
-bad battery (like iPhone 3G)
-not expandable memory (like iPhone)

in meanwhile you can check out; EDIT; part 2 is up
Mobile-Review.Com's review of the HTC Touch Diamond part 1
Mobile-Review.Com's review of the HTC Touch Diamond part 2 (TouchFLO 3D and software)

So i've had the Diamond for more than a couple of weeks now...and its dope.
Battery life is pretty much the same as my Blackberry Pearl if im using all of its power...which is a day.
I charge it every night. Im thinkin about getting that battery to see if it extends it..but i charge it everynight so i don't know if theres any point....
no expandle memory is gay..but thats why i got an ipod. haha...and it pretty much runs just as fast my buddy's Iphone (which isn't G3)...
so i need to use the new iphone to really tell if its slower

Otherwise..its a great buy...im the only one who has it haha. fuck an iphone

A day is normal for 3G phones,I got 3 batteries for my phone (Nokia N82)  :P....
Strange that they didn´t include a slot for memory cards  :-\,anyway I read (I believe on www.intomobile.com)
that there´s a software update so it will run faster.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:52:49 AM by tusken RAIDEr »

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #554 on: August 11, 2008, 10:32:04 PM »
so i have had the new iPhone 3G since thursday and its not really worth the upgrade if you anyone is planning on it... seeing as i am always around WiFi and the GPS is just ok.... but the Speakers are better... the calls seem better and the speaker for other stuff like music and games....

3G is really fast compared to edge...

to upgrade it would cost $199 plus tax plus an extra $10 for unlimited data and $5 for 200 text messages (compared to old iPhone plan) which equals about $360 for 2 years that plus the cost of phone $200 makes it a $560 upgrade. over 2 years

now saying all that i upgraded for free... friend traded me the phone for my old one since he wanted to use t-mobile ... unlocked my old phone for him and i kept the new 3G and i didnt have to get a new contract and still under my old plan.

but overall it is a great phone... just saying that if you have the original iphone its not that much of an improvement.... if you have never had an iPhone .... it is worth it... best phone on the market IMO
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:39:28 PM by E. J. Rizo »