Author Topic: Michael Jackson - Is It Scary  (Read 4278 times)

Trauma-san

Re: Michael Jackson - Is It Scary
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 03:48:18 PM »
i think Michael is one of the greats vocally (and otherwise) too and probably the best but man I was listening to James brown the other day and I don't know that Michael necessarily has all that....couldn't see Michael pulling off "I don't know karate, but I do know ka-raaaazy!"

-T

James was first, and therefore superior for that in his style... but there's nothing James Brown has done that Michael Jackson can't do as well or better.  Michael's whole style is a continuation of James Brown's vocal manner.  "I Got That Feelin" is like the precurser to stuff like "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" or "Bad". 

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »
Yeah, that's a great track.  He never gets the respect he deserves for his voice.  There is nobody alive that can sing on the level that Michael Jackson consistantly sings on.  He can sing anything from a crazy falsetto down to a growling snarl up to a manic pop style voice and back down to a rolling background harmony.  He's got everything Gerald Levert, James Brown, and Usher have in 1 song. 

Most of his singles are pretty damn good but on every album there's songs that don't get released that are just a fucking clinic.  "Keep The Faith" off of "Dangerous" is insane, he outsings a choir at the end of the song, the man's voice is just on another level and un-fuck-widdable. 

yeah keep the faith is a great track, dangerous is a real good album also . The only tracks i dont really like are black and white and heal the world

I like both of those too... there's interesting things on each track.  The most interesting thing for me about Black or White is the obvious tongue and cheek reference to his changing skin tone, but also the more subtle things like how he turns the song into Heavy Metal towards the middle... (and rocks as hard as metallica) and then turns it into a rap song... so in the video he's got himself, a black guy dressed up like a white guy doing some heavy metal shit, and then it turns into Macaulay Culkin, a white kid doing a rap.  The way he switches effortlessly from pop to heavy metal to hiphop in the same song is pretty impressive.  The melody of the song is great too, very well written that hot guitar hook could be a classical piano sonata or something.  Think about it. 

Heal the World is pretty ballsy just from an ambition p.o.v., although the crying and shit gets old quick.  Lyrically it's impressive though, "You know it's plain to see/this world is heavenly/ be god's glow"

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »
Yeah, that's a great track.  He never gets the respect he deserves for his voice.  There is nobody alive that can sing on the level that Michael Jackson consistantly sings on.  He can sing anything from a crazy falsetto down to a growling snarl up to a manic pop style voice and back down to a rolling background harmony.  He's got everything Gerald Levert, James Brown, and Usher have in 1 song. 

Most of his singles are pretty damn good but on every album there's songs that don't get released that are just a fucking clinic.  "Keep The Faith" off of "Dangerous" is insane, he outsings a choir at the end of the song, the man's voice is just on another level and un-fuck-widdable. 

yeah keep the faith is a great track, dangerous is a real good album also . The only tracks i dont really like are black and white and heal the world

I guess what I was getting at is that James brown is like improvisational growls whereas Michael is verses you know? In that line of thinking, I'd compare James Brown to Robert Plant or the singer from Steppenwolf before MJ. You can sing along to/cover MJ kinda easily (though not necessarily well) whereas it'd be kinda trickier to cover/sing along with James brown

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

RECOGNIZE187

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
james brown didn't have how to say..beautiful voice! he was cool...but he couldn't do like a real ballad u feel me?
james brown is :get up,a get on down...and mans world...stuff like that
while michael is everything!!! he sounds good if its rock,or pop,rap or dance...everything...
james brown is a godfather of soul...michael is the king of pop rock and soul!!
and i mean..mike started in late 60's...and later in tha 90s did a song with notorius big !!
 i mean...who had number 1 album in 70's..and number 1 album in 2001? + doin the same with all of his albums! name me 1?? only MJ!
also he is the greatest dancer...and his videos...his concerts...he is the king of entertaiment!! nobody can come close...
u have good singers...but that's it..they are good singers...while mike is everything! hope he will do more movies in tha future also!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:59:24 PM by RECOGNIZE187 »

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »

I guess what I was getting at is that James brown is like improvisational growls whereas Michael is verses you know? In that line of thinking, I'd compare James Brown to Robert Plant or the singer from Steppenwolf before MJ. You can sing along to/cover MJ kinda easily (though not necessarily well) whereas it'd be kinda trickier to cover/sing along with James brown

-T

I don't think you've listened to much Michael Jackson, then.  Michael's got verses in his songs, yes... but his trademark is that he does 'improvisational growls' just like James brown did.  He screams, he says nonsense words like "Shamon" or whatever, he says shit like "YOU KNOW SHE DO!!!" in the background while he's singing, etc.  He does everything James Brown does, because he learned it from James himself.  Like half the shit he does is improvisational scat calls and things. 

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 11:13:05 PM »
James Brown can't sing a ballad? Listen to "Try Me"..... Many people owe their parents getting together because of that song....

Anyway... this is my first and last serious post in this thread.... lol.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

RECOGNIZE187

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 01:02:14 AM »
sure he can...but im talkin about his voice....! i don't see people and specially ladys crying when hearing his voice!!like they do it when michael sings!
check mj's :  lady in my life..liberian girl...human nature..shes out of my life,goon to soon,...his voice...,it's just too beautiful!
u can't really compare james brown and michael...+ we all know james had a big influence on Mike...but mike has his own style!

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »
MJ is gangsta !!

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 08:32:16 AM »
lol.... What decade are you living in? Girls don't scream for Michael like some sex symbol....at least not here in America.... he probably still has an overseas fanbase where they scream.... but here the only thing that goes wild for him are the paprazzi..... and you guys.. :)

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 08:47:57 AM »
and James did make ladies go crazy.... and no you didn't see it because it was in the 60's with "Please, please, please".... before we were born... but at the Apollo Theatre in the early 60's in his prime, James was a symbol...

Now the James during our time? of course no ladies are going to scream for someone in their 70's....

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »

I like both of those too... there's interesting things on each track.  The most interesting thing for me about Black or White is the obvious tongue and cheek reference to his changing skin tone, but also the more subtle things like how he turns the song into Heavy Metal towards the middle... (and rocks as hard as metallica) and then turns it into a rap song... so in the video he's got himself, a black guy dressed up like a white guy doing some heavy metal shit, and then it turns into Macaulay Culkin, a white kid doing a rap.  The way he switches effortlessly from pop to heavy metal to hiphop in the same song is pretty impressive.  The melody of the song is great too, very well written that hot guitar hook could be a classical piano sonata or something.  Think about it. 

Heal the World is pretty ballsy just from an ambition p.o.v., although the crying and shit gets old quick.  Lyrically it's impressive though, "You know it's plain to see/this world is heavenly/ be god's glow"

yeah no doubt they are both interesting tracks especially the black and white vid but over exposure of the tracks have kinda killed them for me.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

RECOGNIZE187

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
LOL!...man michael has millions of fans worldwide  (also in the usa) and bitchez they go from hotel to hotel, sleep outside ,travel all over the world just to see him for 5 seconds!!!and scream and cry and go crazy ..in 2007 also! and dude is almost 50 years old!! 
u are ignorant man!!
and stop hatin!

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 09:39:12 AM »
LMAO...not here dude.... he is a freak show and a side joke, especially with the ladies... the only one's that go crazy over him now are weirdos themselves...

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 09:44:36 AM »
LMAO...not here dude.... he is a freak show and a side joke, especially with the ladies... the only one's that go crazy over him now are weirdos themselves...

this girl is pretty hot 2nd one and seems to like mj. You can guarentee she would have been more than happy to show him more than her piercing

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
Trauma, he does do the improvisational growls (great example the fadeout on lady in my life) but his verses are not comprised of them like James'. I'm not saying one's doper, I'm just saying it's different.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram