Author Topic: Pras "Skid Row" documentary: FIRST NIGHT  (Read 103 times)

Elano

Pras "Skid Row" documentary: FIRST NIGHT
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:23:58 AM »

Pras experiences life as a homeless man in the documentary, "Skid Row"

Pras Michel's gripping documentary film "Skid Row" from Screen Media Films is in theatres now in Los Angeles, New York and Washington D.C.  Screen Media Films purchased the North American rights for the film from ICM, which represents Pras Michel and is handling worldwide sales on the project.  The film was released on August 24.

The film is a look at America's homelessness crisis on constant display in Los Angeles' 5-block radius dubbed "Skid Row." International music sensation Pras Michel (one-third of the Grammy Award winning hip hop group The Fugees) choose to explore this topic as few would do- he lived on the streets of Skid Row for nine days as a homeless person. His journey to understand the plight of the faceless, nameless street nomads saw him stripped of his Hollywood celebrity persona to struggle for food, shelter, and a harsh daily existence.

The documentary follows Pras for nine full days as he devolves into a true resident of Skid Row. Narrative tales emerge as Pras befriends several Skid Row regulars and learns of their personal stories and life struggles. Their stories are shocking and heartfelt, touching and disturbing, but many showed a willingness to open up and share their experiences. the film also interviews community member who are key in the fight to save many of the homeless and offer them a better life. Orlando Ward of the Midnight Mission, once homeless and a resident of Skid Row, is a key partner in Pras' mission.

In detailing the conditions of Skid Row, he challenged Pras to "really go there" claiming if he did so, he would "never look at these people the same way again." Footage is interjected with strong and sobering statistics such as: In Los Angeles County, African-Americans make up 9% of the total populations, and 41% of the homeless population; the crime rate on SKid Row is more than ten times that of Beverly Hills which is a mere 8 miles away; Los Angeles has the highest homeless population in the country, more than double New York.

"Living as a homeless man for 9 days on L.A.'s Skid Row changed my perspective on life forever. Until I made this film, I was not fully aware of the facelessness of the homeless. I am deeply honored to have experienced it first hand. My goal with this film is that audiences nationwide realize that the homeless, nameless faces we pass on the street are some-body's loved ones. They deserve attention. How we deal with this issue as a nation shows our true moral fiber as a people. The must not be ignored." said Pras.

Filming was incredibly difficult. The shoot took numerous cameras, concealed in a van, Pras' coat, and one in a hidden bag with a director who followed closely behind Pras. The street residents often became suspicious of the van and jeopardized filming when word got out that the cameras could be a police effort. Pras had no respite from his day and night struggle, so producers worked 12-14 hour shifts to keep cameras rolling on his every move. Home base for the project was the Midnight Mission, in the underground parking garage, where logistics for the tricky shoot were managed.

"Pras and his team astounded us with this film. We took one look at it and knew this was a film we wanted to be a part of- this is a film people must see," said Robert Baruc, President of the screen Media Films. "The footage is raw and disturbing, and has such a remarkable truth to it. We applaud Pras in his charge to make this film and couldn't be more proud to release the film."

"trailer"

Pras Michel of The Fugees is presently filming "First Night," a documentary in which he's living on a $1 per day budget in Los Angeles.

The film captures the Grammy Award winning rapper posing as a homeless man in Los Angeles. "The dollar a day didn't get me much at all," Pras told New York's Daily News. "You have to hustle, steal, shoplift or prostitute yourself. I chose panhandling. People gave me the worst looks. Like I was invisible and at the same time the worst person on Earth..."

"...I slept in the rain. My tent was stolen. I experienced how these people live," Pras offered.

"...People aren't going to understand what it was like until they see it," Pras stressed. "Human beings should not be sleeping among rats."