Author Topic: 50 Cent "Curtis"  (Read 1485 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
50 Cent "Curtis"
« on: September 17, 2007, 03:00:47 AM »
01. Intro

02. My Gun Go Off 4/5
The album starts with 50 Cents favoruite topic: gun. The production is nice, sort of like a mix of something Em and Dre would do. Flow is sharp, lyrically its dope but whats stopping the song getting a higher grade is the subject matter. Theres just so many times you can rap about your gun and 50 has crossed that line.

03. Man Down 4,75/5
This sounds like some old school 50. Great production from another unkwon inhouse producer, loving the piano loop. 50 actually shows some versatality, with changing the sound of his voice. The hook is crazy, very catchy. Great song overall, if it actually had a 3rd verse, it would get a 5/5 rating.

04. I'll Still Kill 4,75/5
DJ Khalil is a fucking beast. The beat is insane. Akon does his thing and drops a nice verse. 50 sounds agressive, delivery is great. I could see this as the next single, being played in both streets and clubs.

05. I Get Money 4,5/5
Everybody must have heard this by now, especially with all the freestyles over it. 50 said he freestyled over this beat and planned on using it for the mixtape. Because of that, we can easilly hear how relaxed 50s flow is and is not on some "lets make a club banger" type, that 50 usually uses. Production comes from the unkwon Apex, who flipped the sample of Audio Twos "Top Billin". IMO, with a high budget video this could be as big as In Da Club was. Of course Interscope shouldn't have leaked and pushed AYO Technology but thats another story.

06. Come And Go 4,5/5
Dr. Dre on the boards. I was really dissapointed with the beat at first but it kinda grew on me. The melody is great but its just looped. 50 saves Dres ass by showing his talent for club joints. Despite this being the 1000th 50 track talking about the club, 50 still manages to create a great club record. He doesnt sound forced (like he does on some other tracks coming up) and again comes up with an addictive hook. Its good to hear Dre, if only for a few words.

07. AYO Technology 4,25/5
Also a well known track. Timbaland and Danja provied an unique beat, with a lovely switch up in the chours and some nice background elements. Some say 50 sounds forced but forced or not, its great to hear him use a fast paced flow. Justin kills the hook and Timbo does his thing.

08. Follow My Lead 4/5
The first time I heard this track, was through a video leak. I thought it was awful mainly because I dont think I have ever seen 50 so forced in a vid before. But take aways the crappy vid and you realize that this might be the best 50 chick track since 21 Questions (from his solo LPs of course). The production is very smooth and 50 uses his laid back flow. Robin Thicke is unnecessary.

We're 8 tracks deep and so far, the album sounds great. Here is were things start to go wrong.

09. Movin On Up 3/5
Jake One usually drops nothing but heat, however this is one boring ass beat. And so is 50. Theres nothing wrong with the track really but its just so God damn boring. 50 sounds very uninspired. Sounds like a mixtape track.

10. Straight To The Bank 4,5/5
The original street single. Ty Fyfe and Dr.Dre provide the best of both worlds ---> mixing the new school melody with an old school bassline. The production is superb, best Dre beat Ive heard since the Big Bang project. 50 kills the first verse, 2nd verse is not as good but still nice but its the chours that takes away something from the song. Yayo of course cant even do the laugh like a non retarted person. I was really suprised to see this being picked as a single, since the production isnt on some new type of beats. Oh, and the intro is pure piff. Track is 3 months old and should've been a bonus cut.

11. Amusement Park 2/5
Oh no. A very sad atempt at creating another Candy Shop. Dangerous LLC usually provide nothing but heat for 50, but this sounds very amateurish. 50 actually sounds like some pre-GRODT mixtape 50 but he usually did songs like this on mixtapes over other people beats, basically just fucking around. Not to even metnion that its 3 months old.

12. Fully Loaded Clip 4,75/5
Havoc provides another classic, grimey beat for his discography. 50 and Hav had great chemistry in the past and this is no exception. 50 rips both verses and while the chours sounded wierd at first, it sound dope after a few listens. Again, where the fuck is a 3rd verse.

13. Peep Show 3/5
Eminem drops a crazzy ass Dre-ish club banger. 50s flow is again surpisingly fast for a club joint but thats about it. Eminem drops another wierd ass verse with that annoying voice. WTF was 50 thinking picking this track to be on his cd out of the other Re-Up joints they had  :'(. Very forced track.

14. Fire 2,5/5
Some people been dissing the beat but its not made for your pc. Put it in a good stereo and it will blow your speakers away. Sadly, this is the first 50/Dre collabo, where 50 sounds very uninspied and forced. The Nicole feature is completley out of place and Buck should have had a 3rd verse. 50 said that he was pissed at Interscope for making him have this track on the album and I cant say I disagree. This just screams of "hey, lets make a club banger".

15. All Of Me 4/5
Jake One doesnt dissapont here. The beat is for some reason very Wu-Tang-ish for me, having that classic eastcoast sound. A love track but not done in that cheesy way. 50 shouldve had a thrid verse, instead of Marys whinning at the end.

16. Curtis 187 5/5
Best track on the album. Vintage 50. From the crazy chours to the great storytelling to Havoc grimey sound. 50 should really do a whole album of Havoc beats, it looks like he brings the dark side of him.

17. Touch The Sky 4,25/5
50 kills his verse, so does Yayo. Chours is dope, except for the retarted adlib from Yayo. But the track is missing something. Oh wait! A third verse, wtf 50.

18. Smile 4,75/5
Great track. 50 actually spitting some personal shit over a soulful melody provided by another inhouse producer. He talks about everything from Jimmy Iovine to Dre and Em to oprah, to Don Imus... I only wished he would spread those topics into more songs and cut those forced club tracks.

So, overall mathematically this gets a 4/5, but I think Massacre is a 4/5, I will give this a 3,75/5.

The frist problem with this cd is, that it sounds rushed, which clearly shows in the lackage of 3rd verses. I know he only took 3 months to make it but thats no excuse. The 2nd problem is the forced tracks, wether its demanded by Interscope or not. And the 3rd problem is having those 3 months old tracks on the cd and not as bonus tracks.

How do I rate it in his discography ?
GRODT and Massacre are better than Curtis. I wont even mention GRODT but I will name the reasons of why Massacre is better than Curtis. Lyrically and subject matter 50 hasnt changed since day one so I wont rate that. But its the production and the overall vibe that makes Massacre a better cd. I hope that people will finally realise that Massacre was indeed a great cd.

How do I compare it with Doctors' Advocate ?
DA is a lot better. Lets leave all the production, flow, lyrics, vibe aspects aside. The main difference is, that you can tell that Game had everything to prove and his motavtion to create a great cd was at an all time high level. 50 on the other hand had nothing to prove and basically just put this cd out becuse hes under a contract. His prime goal in this rap game was to get rich and he did. I just dont see him being passionate about music anymore, especially while hes under a 2 year timeline with Interscope. Maybe, if he takes a 3,4 year brake, we'll see something different.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:19:18 PM by Timbo the king »

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: 50 Cent "Curtis"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:59:15 PM »
I agree, i dont have any problems with the massacre.

Elturco40

• Lil Geezy
  • Ne mutlu Türküm Diyene
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:00:41 AM »
Curtis is better than the massacre, but it will never have the level of GRODT.

Sorry for my english, because I life in Turkey

Lil D

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »
yo timbo no disrespect but i think you rated some songs WAY to high, i mean Ayo is nice but doesnt has that deep sound to it, its an original song but is somewhat simple, fully loaded clip was a nice beat, hook was kinda whack, first verse was Fire  but he fell off heavy on the second verse

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:40:06 AM »
I'll Still Kill and Ayo Technology are the only tracks that gets rotation on my pc/ipod
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:51:06 AM by K.Dub »

kemizt

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »
Timbo man u always give shit the same review as me LMAO, its a fuckin trip, gangsta minds think alike LOL, perfect review, especially the end comments about compareing it to DA, exactly how i felt!!!

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:56 AM »
Curtis is better than the massacre, but it will never have the level of GRODT.

Sorry for my english, because I life in Turkey

i agree

GRODT is a classic

massacre was wack

and this is an ok album.. wasnt gonna buy it becuase massacre was so bad... but i herd it and i gave it a shot... not so bad

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »
Dope review Timbo. I got next...

01. Intro ( not rated )

I like this for some reason. Intro are usually a waste, but this is cool enough.

02. My Gun Go Off ( 5\5 )

Very well put together Eminem-esque beat that fits 50 perfectly. Same old tired subject matter, but 50 manages to sound hungry in his verses and the hook is catchy as hell. Funny how he interpolates "Lose Yourself" on the 2nd verse.

03. Man Down ( 4\5 )

The censored version...the beat is nice and dense, again suiting 50 well. He definitely knows how to pick beats. As for this track, it moves along nicely and grows on you after a couple of listens. Length wise, it's short and to the point, I guess.

04. I'll Still Kill ( 4.5\5 )

Khalil laces a tight beat for 50 to rip, along with Akon. The chorus is real dope, and this is an example of a street record done right. The beat sounds unique but menacing at the same time. Akon's vocals make this one memorable.

05. I Get Money ( 5\5 )

After his first batch of singles failed to meet expectations, he recorded this one catering to the streets yet again. One of his illest songs to date, as the beat knocks and it compliments his flow which is real on-point right here. The sample used is infectitious.

06. Come & Go ( 5\5 )

Didn't really dig this one at first, but it grew on me like a motherfucker. Dre's beat bumps and 50 comes off sounding somehwat inspired. Not as lazy as he usually is for his club joints. Nice to hear Dre spit something alongside 50.

07. Ayo Technology ( 5\5 )

As far as pop rap goes, this is one formula that surely worked, in my opinion. The duo of Timbaland and Justin bring quality and they don't disappoint. 50 does his thing and Justin kills it with his vocals. Timbaland & Danja have been killing the game for some time, and this cut is probably one of their finest . 50 needed this, as it probably saved him from a total flop, single-wise. Same for "I Get Money".

08. Follow My Lead ( 4\5 )

Robin Thicke joins 50 here, and the result is a nice laid back joint for the ladies. A grown and sexy song, I'm assuming they were aiming for. Tha Bizness laid down a lovely piano-driven beat, giving it an atmospheric feel to it.

09. Movin On Up ( 4\5 )

Nostalgic sounding instrumental provided for this track. Sounds like an East Coast style cut from the early 90's, almost has a Premier feel to it, minus the scratching. Jake One's an up and coming producer. 50 spits his usual but it's the knocking beat that gives this a 4.

10. Straight To The Bank ( 5\5 )

It's hard to fuck up on a beat like this. Ty Fyffe drops heat and Dre adds his magic touch. One of the album's best joints, beat-wise. Again, 50 doesn't drop any mind blowing lyrics, but his flow has improved since his last album and as much as I hate to admit it, I get a real kick out of the hook. And I can't stand Yayo.

11. Amusement Park ( 3\5 )

Dangerous LLC's beat for this is far from horrible, but it lacks something. I never really played this one too much, as it's been out for like 6 months. Failed to chart on the Hot 100, but it isn't as bad as it could've been. 50 could do worse, even if this does sound like a poor version of Candy Shop. The beat saves it from being a complete throwaway.

12. Fully Loaded Clip ( 4\5 )

Havoc gives 50 something sick to work with. The beat is dark and grimy, and 50 uses it to spit more gun talk. Aside from not being too original, the hook is decent enough but it's the beat itself that cannot be denied.

13. Peep Show ( 4\5 )

Probably a likely candidate for future single. 50 doesn't impress much, but his voice fits the production, which is one the few times Em laced a club banger properly. Em's verse is humorous enough, but these two are capable of better, especially Eminem.

14. Fire ( 3\5 )

Hard to believe Dre produced this. I'm not too crazy about it, but it is what it is. A club joint, with vocals from Nicole Scherzinger and Young Buck. Buck's are useless, while 50 gets a couple of good lines it. The bass bumps, it might grow on me if I play it on a proper sound system.

15. All Of Me ( 3.5\5 )

One of 50's better moments lyrically, but the beat might be too stripped down for my liking. Mary sounds aight, but there's nothing too special about this one, aside from the horns in the beat.

16. Curtis 187 ( 5\5 )

Havoc hits another one out the park, and he drops a grimy bounce beat. 50 sounds better on material like this, as she sounds more comfortable on shit like this and not so forced.

17. Touch The Sky ( 4.5\5 )

Banging beat, decent chorus...I'm annoyed by Yayo though. 50 sounds ill on this, and Yayo's verse is just there for support I suppose. Tight production to close out the album.

"Curtis" has something for everyone. It's a diverse album, which for the most part conains great production, nice guest appearances and some noteworthy moments from 50. I also have an appreciation for short tracks, and short albums for that matter. 16 joints is just about right and there's little to no filler here. I dig.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:20:50 PM by Larrabee »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 03:23:56 AM »
Good review Larrabee, perhaps you gave some songs too good ratings.

I completley agree about Come And Go, that track is a grower and I really hope its the next single.

How would you compare this with The Massacre ?

Invincible

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 08:32:05 AM »
I can't believe the bonus track on this was 'Hustlers Ambition'. That really pissed me off.

Oh and 2 good reviews from you there.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
As it relates to The Massacre, I think it's a better album on some accounts. I fast foward alot on The Massacre, but on Curtis I can let it play all the way through for the most part. Massacre was too long, if they cut like 4-6 joints, it would've been better.

Put it to you this way, if they cut about 5 joints and replaced them with Hate It Or Love It and How We Do, then that woulda probably been 50's best album. But those were Game's joints so it is what it is. With "Curtis", I heard the album a couple of times, it was alright...but lately, it's been growing on me alot. He picked great beats, though it's the first album where he didn't lay down too many great hooks.

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:18:20 PM »
As it relates to The Massacre, I think it's a better album on some accounts. I fast foward alot on The Massacre, but on Curtis I can let it play all the way through for the most part. Massacre was too long, if they cut like 4-6 joints, it would've been better.

Put it to you this way, if they cut about 5 joints and replaced them with Hate It Or Love It and How We Do, then that woulda probably been 50's best album. But those were Game's joints so it is what it is. With "Curtis", I heard the album a couple of times, it was alright...but lately, it's been growing on me alot. He picked great beats, though it's the first album where he didn't lay down too many great hooks.

Agreed!!!

d-nice

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »
Yeah it is starting to grow on me also, but I still think it is his weakest album.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 03:47:15 AM »

I also alwys wonder " what if" witht The Massacre, hence How We Do, Hate It Or Love It, Westside Story, Higher, Chuurch For Thugs and Special being 50s song originally. Not to forget Outta Control remix, Talk About Me and When It Rains It Pours, which he spread in the GRODT OST. Change those tracks with Candy Shop, Lil Bit, Disco Inferno, Built You Up, So Amazaing and Gatman & Robin and Massacre would've been a classic.

Still you can say this about lots of albums that came out in the past few years.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:50:43 AM by Timbo the king »

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 04:12:09 AM »

I also alwys wonder " what if" witht The Massacre, hence How We Do, Hate It Or Love It, Westside Story, Higher, Chuurch For Thugs and Special being 50s song originally. Not to forget Outta Control remix, Talk About Me and When It Rains It Pours, which he spread in the GRODT OST. Change those tracks with Candy Shop, Lil Bit, Disco Inferno, Built You Up, So Amazaing and Gatman & Robin and Massacre would've been a classic.

Still you can say this about lots of albums that came out in the past few years.

But cudnt u say the same thing about the 'I'll Still Kill' track, since bishop had already laid vocals and had a hook which is the exact same just instead of saying 'Going down' it says 'Ill still kill'.....surely thats no different to what apparently happened with the Higher, How We Do, Hate It Or Love It, Church for Thugs, Westside Story etc, i personally believe thats as nicer guy as 50 appears to be lol, that'd he'd wouldnt just say here you go have the hottest songs i've done in the last few years, take all my dre beats, do u want some help writing them aswell ??? But its just my opinion...

Anyway Good review, i agree with wot every1's saying about 'Come & Go' thats a sick track!! Sounds so diffferent when u play it on a good system....