Author Topic: So, (after college ends) what will you do for a living ?  (Read 992 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: So, (after college ends) what will you do for a living ?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »

The problem I have with this statistic is that there are a lot of other factors as to why people with the more advanced education make more money. I mean, not to be degradful in any way, but most people who didn't finish highschool wouldn't be able to execute a job that pays very well - and that's not just because they lack that piece of paper or the knowledge they gained while studying. Do you really think a good-looking, smart genius with great social skills wouldn't find a good job, just because he doesn't have a random degree? Do you really think a fuckwit-slacker with a degree will get a bomb ass job and keep it, just cause he got that degree? I sure as hell don't... you also need to take into account the money that you pay for college, and the years it takes to get to a high degree - in those years you could have actually made mad money instead of spending mad money.

College? All I know is to make money and live...

Not everybody can inherit a business homie.

That is also true of course. If you come from a rich family, you will have no problem getting by no matter how uncapable you are.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »
well the problem with all that is you're ignoring the way the job market is heading in america. that 'paper' is now becoming mandatory to obtain certain jobs. my mom has her own day care and one of her mom's is a CPS agent. she's smart and fairly good looking, however all she had was an AA in child development or some shit. in order to promote she had to aquire a BA. she did and she got promoted. 

you are right, you can become a success without that paper....but it's a LOT harder of a struggle. my mom,like i said owns her own business, and at times does VERY well for herself.....but at times she does very piss poor. she has no real retirement, insurance, or even job secuirity.  the way i see it......i get my "paper" get a stable 60-75 k job WITH job secuirity WITH insurance, WITH RETIREMENT.

also a 'slacker' wouldn't really be a 'slacker' if they obtained a higher level degree. LOL the MINIMUM amount of time it takes to get a amsters degree is 6 years.....some people go to school for a decade or so.  also to be able to be accepted into a masters program or a doctorate program , ect. you have to impress them with your transcript/experience. lol they just don't accept anyone (unless you have money maybe of corse). you still have to pass an intellectually challanging program to get that paper. that's something a slacker wouldn't be able to obtain

also with the $ thing. you said why pay all that money when you could use that money for something else/ make more.....lol seriously i've been going to school for 4 years and havn't paid a cent really. parking is about it. but what's 40 bucks a semester. there's soooooooooooooo many scholarships. there's so much financial aid. you can do it.  not every school is USC and charges 47 k a year for tuition. lol. if your parents make shit , that's a benefit for you. you get soooooooo much financial aid from the government.  and even if you have to pay education is an investment that MORE than pays off. you put in some work and follow a proven path ....you can and most likely WILL succeed. especially with the way the middle class is disappearing, you're either going to be barely getting by living pay check by paycheck....or you're going to be living a secure life.   

yeah you could pick up a guitar instead of a notebook and become the mother fuckin beatles.....but what are the chances of you succeeding?

yeah you could pick up a monkey wrench, join a union and fix other peoples shit and be successful.....but are you putting into your jon more than you're getting out of it

yeah you could start your own business/restaurant/ect. but do you know how many businesses/restaurants FAIL the first time around?

the odds are against you in this society without that 'paper' ....but the odds are on your side if you have it. hell even teachers who make SHIT have a better open window because there's so much possibility to improve their status in that field QUICKLY and EASILY if you don't stay stagnant.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »
^^^I can comment on some of that too...

I went to college for four years - of the 52 dudes that lived on my floor in my dorm only 12 (that I know of) ended up graduating.  I had lots of friends that quit because they couldn't see themselves "waisting time" at school.  I still keep up w/ some of these dudes and they're doing stuff like bartending, manual labor, army, whatever.  And it's all gravy to me, if they're happy more power to them.  But these cats are still living the exact same life we lived when we were 18 - and they're all 26,27 years old.  No growth whatsoever - living check to check, not able to save a dime.  And again, I'm not hatin at all, to each his own.

And don't even get me started on people I know that I graduated high school with and never pursued anything else.  They're still living in that shit hole town, not doin a got damn thing.  They still dip on these high school broads that are like damn near 10 years younger than them, it's disgusting.

But for me, I put in the work at school, worked my way through the ranks and after just over 3 years I'm making $80k plus quarterly bonuses, and I got $30k signing bonus when I moved out here.  And my job is easy - I take cats out to lunch, get heavily involved in multi-million $ projects all around the country, play golf, etc etc etc.  Shit if I'm doing this at my age (26) I should really be ballin in another 5.  I've got 2 seperate retirement accounts - 401k and Roth IRA which will be worth literally millions by the time I'm in my 50's (granted, tomorrow isn't promised).  I got health insurance, so I aint trippin off of goin to the doctor and gettin medicine and shit.

And in being in my line of work, I've seen so many businesses fail it's unreal.  I've seen lots of people that quit their 9to5 to try and start their own business only to fail and lose their life savings at the same time.  Yes there are people that succeed, and thats fuckin dope.  But I've seen smart people get into business for themself and fail miserably.

So yeah college put me up on all that.  I absolutely would not have my job w/o my degree.  But you know what else?  College was EASILY the most fun and the most I've ever learned in my life.  I wouldn't trade that experience for any amount of money.

Bottom line is, there are many routes to take and anyone that chooses what they choose is good for them.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 09:44:41 PM »
well the problem with all that is you're ignoring the way the job market is heading in america. that 'paper' is now becoming mandatory to obtain certain jobs. my mom has her own day care and one of her mom's is a CPS agent. she's smart and fairly good looking, however all she had was an AA in child development or some shit. in order to promote she had to aquire a BA. she did and she got promoted. 

you are right, you can become a success without that paper....but it's a LOT harder of a struggle. my mom,like i said owns her own business, and at times does VERY well for herself.....but at times she does very piss poor. she has no real retirement, insurance, or even job secuirity.  the way i see it......i get my "paper" get a stable 60-75 k job WITH job secuirity WITH insurance, WITH RETIREMENT.

Well but to get there you have to do something else than just getting your degree. I doubt you will be paid like that automatically just cause you got that degree, mayne.

also a 'slacker' wouldn't really be a 'slacker' if they obtained a higher level degree. LOL the MINIMUM amount of time it takes to get a amsters degree is 6 years.....some people go to school for a decade or so.  also to be able to be accepted into a masters program or a doctorate program , ect. you have to impress them with your transcript/experience. lol they just don't accept anyone (unless you have money maybe of corse). you still have to pass an intellectually challanging program to get that paper. that's something a slacker wouldn't be able to obtain

I agree you can't be a slacker and get every masters degree or a doctorate degree. But it could be possible to be quite lazy and still get certain master degrees. I'm not saying you can be a dumbfuck, a slacker and a drug addict all at the same time and still get a degree man. I'm just saying that being able to obtain a degree doesn't automatically imply that you're fit to do the job.

also with the $ thing. you said why pay all that money when you could use that money for something else/ make more.....lol seriously i've been going to school for 4 years and havn't paid a cent really. parking is about it. but what's 40 bucks a semester. there's soooooooooooooo many scholarships. there's so much financial aid. you can do it.  not every school is USC and charges 47 k a year for tuition. lol. if your parents make shit , that's a benefit for you. you get soooooooo much financial aid from the government.  and even if you have to pay education is an investment that MORE than pays off. you put in some work and follow a proven path ....you can and most likely WILL succeed. especially with the way the middle class is disappearing, you're either going to be barely getting by living pay check by paycheck....or you're going to be living a secure life.   

I'm not gonna lie, you getting a masters degree education for free in the US is news to me. I always thought of it as a fairly expensive to really expensive investment. 

yeah you could pick up a guitar instead of a notebook and become the mother fuckin beatles.....but what are the chances of you succeeding?

yeah you could pick up a monkey wrench, join a union and fix other peoples shit and be successful.....but are you putting into your jon more than you're getting out of it

yeah you could start your own business/restaurant/ect. but do you know how many businesses/restaurants FAIL the first time around?

Getting a degree and working 9 to 5 with retirement is definitely much less of a risk, that's a no-brainer.

the odds are against you in this society without that 'paper' ....but the odds are on your side if you have it. hell even teachers who make SHIT have a better open window because there's so much possibility to improve their status in that field QUICKLY and EASILY if you don't stay stagnant.

I'm not talking down college at all man.. do your thing, get that white paper and then get that green paper.. ya dig? I'm just saying you have been exaggerating with those pics and shit ya dig.

Also, what I want to add:

Yes people with a high degree make more money, but that's also because of those factors:
-Having a high degree, they are more likely to come from a rich family. The advantages of coming from a rich family are endless and obvious so I won't name them all, but the more subtle ones include that coming from a rich family their parents are more likely to be smart and successful, which makes them more likely to be that way as they inhereted their parents' genes and get raised by them.
-Having a high degree, they are less likely to be slackers. Not being a slacker is of course a good thing when it comes to getting paid.
etc, I don't feel like going on... my point is just while having a high degree, the people just tend to have the better opportunities, but not necessarily because of the degree

So yeah college put me up on all that.  I absolutely would not have my job w/o my degree.

I'm 100% sure of that, but give your degree to some random guy and watch him not doing shit with it... it's not just you having that degree and you knowing what you learned while getting it, it's also you. Ya dig? Anyways, I have a homie that is shooting the likes of Snoop and Ja Rule and he just got started... yet he has no paper that says he can photograph or do graphical work... aside from his own practical work, that is.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:50:19 PM by 7even is the next Iwan Karamasow »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 09:48:29 PM »
lol @ NIK thinking he isn't going to need college.

it's called the collapse of the middle class in this society. you're going to have  clear distinction of  the haves and the have nots

Tell that to my whole family, mostly comprised of self-made millionares with no college degree. LMAO@thinking you need college to make big cheese. :grumpy:

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
yeah these options

LMAO...Jake, the way you think sometimes can be funny.

There are way more options than that. A lot of the richest entrepreneurs didn't made their money through something that required college. Think about Real Estate, son. Buying and selling land. That's where it's at...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: So, after college ends, what will you do for a living ?
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 09:54:34 PM »

You inherited a business?

Sparegeez

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 09:58:12 PM »
I don't know if I've been brainwashed or whatever but to me it doesn't matter. Around here, if you wanna be somebody you gotta go to school. Al these "hustlers" you guys are talking about always end up broke with bills to pay because they're trying to live large. The people I see in my neighborhood are lazy and ignorant. They say "School won't help me blah blah blah" but they're sitting there all broke. While others with a nice house are always watching college football rooting for their school, COLLEGE! I might be wrong, but most of these college kids end up being successful men, while all these high school drop-outs end up living in their mom's crib till their 40's.

I'll take college.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »

I'm 100% sure of that, but give your degree to some random guy and watch him not doing shit with it... it's not just you having that degree and you knowing what you learned while getting it, it's also you. Ya dig? Anyways, I have a homie that is shooting the likes of Snoop and Ja Rule and he just got started... yet he has no paper that says he can photograph or do graphical work... aside from his own practical work, that is.

Word, it's not automatic by any means.  I know some peeps that have a degree, yet do nothing in that field and aren't doin much either.  It's 100% about your drive to succeed at what you are doing.  If your dream is to be a surgeon, you're not eligible unless you have a degree.  Many other professions out there don't require schooling, it's all about your drive and fundamental understanding of the field in order to be successful.

Anybody that thinks a degree equals automatic fortune is playin themself.  But it's no doubt that the average cat w/ a degree makes more than the average cat w/o one.  But in no way does that mean you can't make millions w/o a degree.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »

hell naw, I was alluding to your parents putting you up on game.  Is that not the case?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »

hell naw, I was alluding to your parents putting you up on game.  Is that not the case?

No...who the hell told you that?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 10:12:40 PM »
I don't know if I've been brainwashed or whatever but to me it doesn't matter. Around here, if you wanna be somebody you gotta go to school. Al these "hustlers" you guys are talking about always end up broke with bills to pay because they're trying to live large. The people I see in my neighborhood are lazy and ignorant. They say "School won't help me blah blah blah" but they're sitting there all broke. While others with a nice house are always watching college football rooting for their school, COLLEGE! I might be wrong, but most of these college kids end up being successful men, while all these high school drop-outs end up living in their mom's crib till their 40's.

I'll take college.

Because they're not smart and therefore lazy, just like you said. If you're smart, best believe you will stack the chips...PeACe

BANANAS

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »
working in the film industry, as soon as i wrap up the education i got a few ins with some major LA based production companies, jump intp sound design, try and pull out 60,000 starting as a foley artist. whats a foley artist? wikipedia that shit niggs

swangin and bangin

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
im hoping i can be a nurse some where
ya feel me

makin that $$$$
the LEGAL way

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »
lol @ NIK thinking he isn't going to need college.

it's called the collapse of the middle class in this society. you're going to have  clear distinction of  the haves and the have nots

Tell that to my whole family, mostly comprised of self-made millionares with no college degree. LMAO@thinking you need college to make big cheese. :grumpy:

lol if i had multimillionare family members i wouldn't be trying to work hard either nik.....

like i said ,  yeah you can be mionare without school, but the odds are against you

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09