Author Topic: A Double Standard Worth Keeping:Race and the Differential Power of the "N-Word"  (Read 834 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: A Double Standard Worth Keeping:Race and the Differential Power of the "N-Wo
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 05:28:56 PM »
I remember a story by Oprah when she visted Nelson Mandella and the guard at the door only knew about American tradition from TV and rap videos. When he greeted them he said "Wassup Niggaz" thinking that's how American blacks greet each other. He said it once or twice more before one of Oprah's people corrected him. This was a black man that lived through the apartheid. His idea of racism is a lot more real than the vast majority of blacks in the USA and he had no clue what the word meant. It had no history to him and it was not anything, much less an insult.

LOOL
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: A Double Standard Worth Keeping:Race and the Differential Power of the "N-Wo
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »
I refer to Black people as Black or just people. This whole thing of taken the word back is bullshit; Its just an excuse to stay ignorant.

You already know my position. There is nothing to take back and in 1000 years there won't be much to discuss because no one will care. I understand why the mass idiot public gets offended by certain words. They need something to numb real thoughts. But why would someone like you who stands above the times even care what he is referred to by people? Who cares if people that don't know you prejudge you or want to be rude and call you something as an insult. I've been called a lot of things by a lot of people and the only time it really offends me is when someone I know, like, and respect insults me with the intent to insult. If it's someone I don't know, barely know, or don't care for I could care less what they "say" to or about me.
I don't know man if you can't see there something wrong with a person who voluntarily says "I'm from Africa, so call me a nigga"- I don't know what to tell you man. I have a problem with it because when a Black person thinks like that, they obviously have no respect for themselves or their ancestors who fought to make change. When you don't have respect for yourself, no one else isn't going to have respect for you. And thats exactly whats going on a majority of the mass have no respect for Blacks. 

I know plenty of blacks from plenty of different parts of the world and only the ones that come from an American point of view even knew the word existed. All of my black friends as a kid that were born and partly raised in Jamaica, Nigeria, Trinidad, or Kenya didn't even know the word "Nigger". This guy that had no problem with it probably has no history with it. It's an American word mispronounced by hick americans. It was in reference to a very small percentage of blacks. I know you might say that it was meant for all blacks every where, but the people that said it couldn't even pronounce the word negro. I don't think they even knew Africa existed.

I remember a story by Oprah when she visted Nelson Mandella and the guard at the door only knew about American tradition from TV and rap videos. When he greeted them he said "Wassup Niggaz" thinking that's how American blacks greet each other. He said it once or twice more before one of Oprah's people corrected him. This was a black man that lived through the apartheid. His idea of racism is a lot more real than the vast majority of blacks in the USA and he had no clue what the word meant. It had no history to him and it was not anything, much less an insult.
So, how would that make him different than the Blacks using it amongst each other as a term of endearment? That guy thought it was cool (Probably due to the way it is shown through out TV), just like the way these confused Blacks here think its cool to use it in their everyday vocabulary. Also, I'm sure the word nigger was prevalent out there in Africa, and is known to be an insult; but similar to Blacks in the US, the morphed word 'nigga' is considered to be acceptable and cooler.

Sikotic™

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
Niggers need to shut the fuck up and be happy we gave them their freedom. WHITE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »
Also, I'm sure the word nigger was prevalent out there in Africa, and is known to be an insult; but similar to Blacks in the US, the morphed word 'nigga' is considered to be acceptable and cooler.

That's the whole point of the story Oprah told. Down there they had no clue about the word. It meant nothing outside of America according to Oprah, and my friends from Jamaica, Trinidad and Nigeria didn't learn the word until they came to Toronto. I even have a couple of friends from Nova Scotia who came to Canada through the underground railroad in the 1800s and they said the word meant nothing to them. The whole thing makes me think it's a civil rights movement plot to keep blacks angry. What happened during that movement really? Minimum wage was brought in to keep black men from working. Welfare was brought in to keep blacks from working for that extra little bit and to reassure black men that leaving their familes wouldn't be the end of the world. And assumed racism replaced real racism to keep blacks confused and angry and instead of climbing out of the hole they were placed in they are tricked into digging.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »
I see what your saying good point 1+

Smoke Break

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »
I even have a couple of friends from Nova Scotia who came to Canada through the underground railroad in the 1800s and they said the word meant nothing to them.
they need to surrender themselves to medical testing so I can live that long

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
it really doesnt matter what people around think, because they're not the ones being offended. is that really that difficult to respect the opinion of those who feel offended? you can track the word nigger to spanish negro and whatever, but the fact is that negro means black. nigger will never mean the color black in english. nigger means black slave, nothing else.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
it really doesnt matter what people around think, because they're not the ones being offended. is that really that difficult to respect the opinion of those who feel offended? you can track the word nigger to spanish negro and whatever, but the fact is that negro means black. nigger will never mean the color black in english. nigger means black slave, nothing else.

It only means black slave because the civil rights era push it as such. It very well could have just meant black, but the powers that be want blacks to stay angry and keep worrying about stupid things like what words whites are allowed to use rather than what's going on in the country.

Wolfen

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:57 PM »
I even have a couple of friends from Nova Scotia who came to Canada through the underground railroad in the 1800s and they said the word meant nothing to them.

i'm calling shenanigans
The smartest ones, they went underground into a new wilderness, YOUR CITIES. You have your technology but you lost. You lost your senses

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »

i'm calling shenanigans
Now that I'm looking at this I didn't realize what he just say. The 1800's!! thats a long time.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »

i'm calling shenanigans
Now that I'm looking at this I didn't realize what he just say. The 1800's!! thats a long time.

I meant the blacks currently in East Preston Nova Scotia come from the blacks that crossed the border with the underground railroad. Obviously I don't know anyone that was actually part of the underground railroad.

Actually let me make  correction. I learned this a while ago and forgot about it. Most blacks in Nova Scotia aren't from the Underground Railroad. Some are, but most of them had fought on the loyalist side of the American Revolution and were given land in Canada as compensation, like all loyalists were given.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:26:45 PM by Shallow »