Author Topic: The Official 2007/08 Champions League Thread  (Read 3864 times)

Lunatic

Re: The Official 2007/08 Champions League Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »
I can't fucking believe we (porto) lost to schalke :-\  pretty confident will take them in Portugal though.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2008, 02:28:16 AM »
I can't fucking believe we (porto) lost to schalke :-\  pretty confident will take them in Portugal though.

Yeah, that wasn't good.

kemizt

wcsoldier

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2008, 04:03:16 AM »
Glad Liverpool beat Inter, I hate this team.. hopefully Arsenal will win too

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2008, 05:57:50 AM »
Glad Liverpool beat Inter, I hate this team.. hopefully Arsenal will win too

I got a bad feeling  :-\

kemizt

187_gangsta_crip

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2008, 06:10:53 AM »
Come On United!!
Ronaldo Rooney Tevez

Elano

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2008, 06:41:10 AM »
we are 60% out of the champions league  :(

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

C'MON NOW, where is your optimism!!??  ;)

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2008, 08:24:09 AM »

The schedule is too tight and we got too many injuries with an already too thin roster.

kemizt

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »

The schedule is too tight and we got too many injuries with an already too thin roster.

so what, the game hasn't even started yet....

...although do you wish that you would get eliminated so you could just concentrate on the league??

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »

so what, the game hasn't even started yet....

...although do you wish that you would get eliminated so you could just concentrate on the league??

Nah, I wish we get as far as possible now that we're out of the Carling Cup and the FA Cup. But I think the main focus for Wenger & co is PL

kemizt

Elano

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »

i'm talkin about my team,F.C. INTER

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »

i'm talkin about my team,F.C. INTER

I know that man  :laugh:

But anything is still possible...and you have a home game coming...

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »
expect arsenal to win tonight, hopefully united will, dissapointed liverpool won lol.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Elano

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »
materazzi is a dickhead

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Arsenal complete Champions League century
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=487801&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Arsenal+complete+Champions+League+century
Arsenal will reach a significant milestone when they walk out to face Milan at Emirates Stadium tonight. The first leg against the European champions is the Club's 100th fixture in the Champions League.

Arsène Wenger has taken charge of every one of them but even the Frenchman struggled to recall all the highlights when he was put on the spot at his pre-match press conference.

"I have not got a big memory," said Wenger. "There is Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid but there are some big disappointments too - Chelsea for example. I also lost in the Semi-Final with Monaco. But certainly the biggest disappointment was losing in the last 13 minutes of the Final against Barcelona."

While Wenger concentrates on tonight's challenge, we trawled through the archives to pick out our highlights and lowlights from Arsenal's first 100 games in the Champions League.

BEST WIN

Real Madrid 0-1 Arsenal. February 21, 2006
Honourable mentions must go to three storming wins against Serie A opposition - the Henry-inspired 5-1 triumph at Inter and the 3-1 win at Roma, plus Fabregas' 'coming of age' tussle against Vieira when Juventus were humbled at Highbury. But it's hard to look beyond the night in February 2006 when Arsenal became the first English team to win at the Bernabeu. Real Madrid were hot favourites that night, not least because Arsenal were injury-hit and out of touch when they landed in Spain. But Henry's solo goal just after the break sealed a deserved victory and propelled Arsenal towards the Final.

BEST SAVE

Jens Lehmann - Arsenal 0-0 Real Madrid. March 8, 2006
Jens Lehmann takes this honour. Not for the penalty save from Riquelme in the dying seconds of the Semi-Final second leg at Villarreal but for his incredible one-handed stop from Raul against Real Madrid at Highbury. Arsenal's precarious 1-0 aggregate lead was almost snuffed out in the second half of the second leg when Raul hit the post from long range and then seemed certain to convert the rebound with Lehmann grounded. But the Arsenal No 1 clambered up to paw the Spaniard's second attempt away from danger. It was a quite stunning stop from a keeper at the height of his powers.

BEST COMEBACK

Arsenal 3-2 Shakhtar Donetsk. September 20, 2000
Remember Shakhtar Donetsk in September 2000? The Ukraine side led 2-0 at Highbury but Wiltord's strike on the stroke of half-time and two goals in the last five minutes from - of all people - Martin Keown, rescued Arsenal. That has to be the greatest comeback in a single match. But it's worth mentioning the 2003/04 campaign when two defeats and a draw left Arsenal rock-bottom of their group with three games to go. They were two minutes from elimination in their next match but a last-gasp header from Ashley Cole and then victories over Inter and Lokomotiv Moscow saw Arsenal qualify by the skin of their teeth.

BEST GOAL

Thierry Henry - Real Madrid 0-1 Arsenal. February 21, 2006
There are so many classics to choose from. Parlour's net-buster against Valencia in 2001 got Highbury rocking, Bergkamp's delicate chip finished off Bayer Leverkusen in 2002 and Rosicky's long-range special humbled Hamburg last season. But Henry, predictably, takes this plaudit. He comes close for a sublime finish at Sparta Prague in 2005 (just before breaking the Club's goalscoring record) but nothing quite beats his solo effort at Real Madrid later that season. Henry shrugged off Ronaldo, Mejia, Guti and Ramos before slamming a low shot past Casillas. It was stunning even by his high standards.

BEST OPPONENT

John Carew - Valencia
Arsenal have been knocked over by some class acts in the past decade. Spartak froze them out in Moscow, Valencia knocked them out twice while Deportivo la Coruna outclassed them at Highbury and the The Riazor. It's fair to say that the lesser lights have troubled Arsenal more than the traditional big guns. But if you want to single out an individual, look no further than John Carew. The giant Norwegian striker, now of Aston Villa, was a menace in a Valencia shirt. He out-climbed Tony Adams to pip Arsenal on away goals in the 2001 Quarter-Final and repeated the trick in the second group stage two years later.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea. April 6, 2004
A tough call. Losing the Final in 2006 hurt, especially when Arsenal were just 13 minutes from glory. But Barcelona were a class act and Lehmann's red card left Arsenal a man short for most of the game, so it wasn't unexpected. The Quarter-Final defeat to Chelsea in 2004 was harder to take because the Invincibles were unstoppable in the League but ran out of steam in second leg against their London rivals after a hard-fought FA Cup Semi-Final defeat a few days earlier. With 'only' Monaco and Porto lying in wait, Arsenal had squandered their best chance of lifting the trophy on that sad night at Highbury.

MOST SURPRISING APPEARANCE

The squirrel - Arsenal 1-0 Villarreal. April 19, 2006
No, not a shock return from an injured player or an unusual team selection from Arsène Wenger. The most surprising appearance at an Arsenal Champions League fixture was... a squirrel. The rodent halted play midway through the first half of the Semi-Final first leg against Villarreal at Highbury in April 2006. it emerged from the West Stand, ran across the pitch and was eventually ushered out of play in front of the North Bank. "He was quite fast — and dribbling," smiled Wenger when asked about the incident in his post-match press conference.

kemizt