Author Topic: Does Dre lack a Suge type figure to look after the business side of Aftermath?  (Read 1060 times)

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Dre really isnt a good businessman. When hip hop was selling big, he coulda been releasing 3/4 albums a year, but he didnt for some reason. During Death Row he cud concentrate on making music, whilst Suge look after the business side. So when the chronic was released Suge capitalised on Snoop & the DPg then released there albums. This shuda been done with a few rappers after '2001' came out, yet i dont think Dre spotted what he coulda done with the likes of Knoc and Hittman. 

Suga saw opportunities arise, and gave opportunities

Dre holds artsit back, his label management is very poor

smegma

Dre really isnt a good businessman. When hip hop was selling big, he coulda been releasing 3/4 albums a year, but he didnt for some reason.

What the fuck do you know about Dre as a businessman, his contract and the label situation(s)?

Can I for once say this?

FREE POST

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
there might be some truth in what youre saying

i wouldnt say dre is a bad businessman, but i can imagine suge always got what he wanted - he had good instincts... i dont wanna know how many times he hung jimmy iovine - or whoever was in charge of interscope back then - over the balcony to make sure a album was released  ;D

and he was right about it!

when dre was told a hittman album wont sell b/c its not commercial enough, what did he do? same goes for the king t album.. and probably many more

from a commercial standpoint death rows the chronic was also a very very unsure thing... id say nobody knew in 92 this album would make history like it did. for example this music beeing so important for kids all around the world, no matter what color of skin. those tracks could be played in the radio. who knew this?

but at the same time one have to admit the machinery changed since back then: promoting an album in '07 cant be compared to '92

but suges a strong personality, he damn sure made things happen others couldnt or wouldnt
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:08:18 AM by DPG4Life »

d-nice

I always looked at it like this. I think when you have a record label, you should have that Dame Dash or Suge Knight running the business side of things for you. Whether they do a good job or not is one thing, but most producers/rappers do not do well as CEO's. I think Dre get so involved in one particular project that the rest get put back on the back burner (insert artist's name here___) until the artists leave or take their album elsewhere or it is shelved. Also like what DPG4Life said, Suge has a very commanding figure and he got alot of deals done just off of rep. At the least you need a very proactive CEO that will take charge of a label and make those decisions.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I don't know, Dre's a millionaire, I see no reason why he shouldn't handle the business end of things. Dre isn't just a good producer he is a great producer, there is no reason why his status shouldn't have been elevated to a business level.

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
I agree with that statement.  Death Row steadily released quality music 92-96.  I think Suge helped with the business side.  Aren't Dre's hands kinda tied though now with the contract he's got with Interscope?

d-nice

I don't know, Dre's a millionaire, I see no reason why he shouldn't handle the business end of things. Dre isn't just a good producer he is a great producer, there is no reason why his status shouldn't have been elevated to a business level.

I just think Dre could elevate his business even more if he would or could put out at least half of the artists he has on his label. He is actually losing money by sitting on projects the way he does.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
suge's tactics worked for a while, and yes i think the death row situation during the mid 90's was way better than the aftermath situation right now. but let's be realistic, death row is pretty much dead; suge couldn't save it, so apparently he is missing something.

i'm not saying that dre is doing a great job ( i think he made some bad decisions for his label, for example, selling his 30% share of aftermath to interscope. it's like he has his hands tied on his back now--> hence the comment about jimmy in my profile. yeah i liked the fact that death row was more independent). but as you know, this isn't the 90's anymore, so i guess dre is making a lot of sacrifices to stay 'in the game' ( like i said, i think he made some bad decisions, but i can imagine that he is in a very difficult situation).

but the fucked up situation that aftermath is in, isn't just dre's fault; i mean he doesn't have so much control over his label ( that's why i liked the death row situation more). i don't think dre likes to produce songs like fire, even though he knows it's gonna be popular. it's jimmy, and interscope that's ruining it. i mean, dre is mainly responsible for the numerous detox delays, but the other projects get pushed back because of interscope. i mean, dre is in the studio all day, and he's really not the only producer working on the projects of the aftermath artists, so a lot of projects are probably done or almost.

ice cube is the man however, because he has an independent label and a major distribution deal. that's the kind of direction dre should go imo, i mean, he has so much money, and he has his reputation, so why shouldn't he go independent? i'm sure he can get a major distribution deal ( and do something about the internet as well. come on, a myspace page that is outdated is not enough). and he can probably release a lot more of his artists albums that way, without the bullshit singles.

when is dre gonna realise that interscope and aftermath don't fit? fuck jimmy, fuck interscope, and fuck geffen.
if dre dies anytime soon, you can say that he has been somebody's bitch during his whole career( lorenzo, eazy-e r.i.p./jerry, suge, and now jimmy/interscope/stockholders, whatever, you get the idea), and it's not even funny. i mean, he shouldn't be worried about things, like bishop's lyrics being a bit controversial, come on, the same person that was part of N.W.A. , and signed Eminem?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 02:02:27 PM by Dre-Day »

d-nice

suge's tactics worked for a while, and yes i think the death row situation during the mid 90's was way better than the aftermath situation right now. but let's be realistic, death row is pretty much dead; suge couldn't save it, so apparently he is missing something.

i'm not saying that dre is doing a great job ( i think he made some bad decisions for his label, for example, selling his 30% share of aftermath to interscope. it's like he has his hands tied on his back now--> hence the comment about jimmy in my profile. yeah i liked the fact that death row was more independent). but as you know, this isn't the 90's anymore, so i guess dre is making a lot of sacrifices to stay 'in the game' ( like i said, i think he made some bad decisions, but i can imagine that he is in a very difficult situation).

but the fucked up situation that aftermath is in, isn't just dre's fault; i mean he doesn't have so much control over his label ( that's why i liked the death row situation more). i don't think dre likes to produce songs like fire, even though he knows it's gonna be popular. it's jimmy, and interscope that's ruining it. i mean, dre is mainly responsible for the numerous detox delays, but the other projects get pushed back because of interscope. i mean, dre is in the studio all day, and he's really not the only producer working on the projects of the aftermath artists, so a lot of projects are probably done or almost.

ice cube is the man however, because he has an independent label and a major distribution deal. that's the kind of direction dre should go imo, i mean, he has so much money, and he has his reputation, so why shouldn't he go independent? i'm sure he can get a major distribution deal ( and do something about the internet as well. come on, a myspace page that is outdated is not enough). and he can probably release a lot more of his artists albums that way, without the bullshit singles.

when is dre gonna realise that interscope and aftermath don't fit? fuck jimmy, fuck interscope, and fuck geffen.
if dre dies anytime soon, you can say that he has been somebody's bitch during his whole career( lorenzo, eazy-e r.i.p./jerry, suge, and now jimmy/interscope/stockholders, whatever, you get the idea), and it's not even funny. i mean, he shouldn't be worried about things, like bishop's lyrics being a bit controversial, come on, the same person that was part of N.W.A. , and signed Eminem?

Well put man, +1. Dre probably does not have the leverage and say so in his own label that most of us give him credit for.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
thanks for your feedback, i just can't understand that a person like dre beind worried about a project like bishop's ( or the hittman project, or king t , in the past). i know that it's not just up to him ( when it comes to the concepts behind the albums, marketing etc.), and that's why he never should have sold his 30% share of aftermath to interscope.
i mean, when N.W.A. started, they didn't worry about the sales. ok they had a good manager, who was able to arrange alternative ways to distribute the albums, but they knew it was very risky ( especially when looking at what was popular back then). but they didn't say, well mtv, we'll tone the content of our lyrics down for you.

but even with aftermath, dre took a risk, because westcoast rap lost a lot of popularity in 1996. so he decided to take a different route, that was a big risk as well wasn't it?
well later it didn't really work out well, but that couldn't stop him from taking risks did it. i mean, he signed eminem ( another risk), and dre came back (along with others) with 2001 ( ok you can consider that a step back when it comes to risks, when you look at the lyrics. but still the album was a bit different).
signing busta rhymes was a risk, and there are so many more examples of very risky decisions that he made.
it's just stupid when you're dre, older than 40, rich, having a great reputation , but still not having full control over your own label. i mean, why is he making it so hard for himself. he can easily put himself in a more powerful position ( i know i may make it sound very easy, but dre has the tools to be in that comfortable position). besides, his health is ok, he still loves to produce.

and even when it comes to marketing, does dre still not get it, that interscope is screwing it up? offcourse, an album from 50 cent is easier to market than an album by bishop lamont or stat quo, but that doesn't make it impossible for these (type of) artists to sell. repeating the same formula by forcing the artists to make the same bullshit poppy singles is definately not the way to do it, as you will see in the next few years ( 50 cent's sales for curtis have already proven this a little bit, even though he still sold many albums). dre even said that if you keep doing the same thing, then you actually become old ( i know it comes from an interview, and his answer was related to producing, but it's still relevant).

maxpowers

• 'G'
Dr.Dre has always been about the music. He just needs a team to help run the business side of the music that he makes weather it be a jimmy or suge figure. Ya'll gotta know that the MUSIC BUSINESS HAS CHANGED compared to what we all knew in the 90's. those things dont work any more. its a whole different type of ball game.

Watch what 50cent said about what dre is all about
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GGOo9g2jUBo

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
thanks for your feedback, i just can't understand that a person like dre beind worried about a project like bishop's ( or the hittman project, or king t , in the past). i know that it's not just up to him ( when it comes to the concepts behind the albums, marketing etc.), and that's why he never should have sold his 30% share of aftermath to interscope.
i mean, when N.W.A. started, they didn't worry about the sales. ok they had a good manager, who was able to arrange alternative ways to distribute the albums, but they knew it was very risky ( especially when looking at what was popular back then). but they didn't say, well mtv, we'll tone the content of our lyrics down for you.

but even with aftermath, dre took a risk, because westcoast rap lost a lot of popularity in 1996. so he decided to take a different route, that was a big risk as well wasn't it?
well later it didn't really work out well, but that couldn't stop him from taking risks did it. i mean, he signed eminem ( another risk), and dre came back (along with others) with 2001 ( ok you can consider that a step back when it comes to risks, when you look at the lyrics. but still the album was a bit different).
signing busta rhymes was a risk, and there are so many more examples of very risky decisions that he made.
it's just stupid when you're dre, older than 40, rich, having a great reputation , but still not having full control over your own label. i mean, why is he making it so hard for himself. he can easily put himself in a more powerful position ( i know i may make it sound very easy, but dre has the tools to be in that comfortable position). besides, his health is ok, he still loves to produce.

and even when it comes to marketing, does dre still not get it, that interscope is screwing it up? offcourse, an album from 50 cent is easier to market than an album by bishop lamont or stat quo, but that doesn't make it impossible for these (type of) artists to sell. repeating the same formula by forcing the artists to make the same bullshit poppy singles is definately not the way to do it, as you will see in the next few years ( 50 cent's sales for curtis have already proven this a little bit, even though he still sold many albums). dre even said that if you keep doing the same thing, then you actually become old ( i know it comes from an interview, and his answer was related to producing, but it's still relevant).

hmmm, very interesting aspects youre sharing here
and they lead me to the conclusion dre knows he needs someone else to lead him. he isnt as compfortable as he thought he would be after parting ways with suge.
he thought he could do it on it own, but like he said in an interview lately it was too much. he had to much to do
maybe thats why he shared those 30% with jimmy, so he had someone to overlook things
i really think he likes this

i mean this man didnt even think the california love beat was a hot beat -- he need tupac to let him know that

and if he really likes this situation of being watched by someone, now he could leave interscope and still get back his rights to his legacy: aftermath
with deathrow and suge as a 50% owner he wasnt able to do this
so basically he still has control over his label, but not of whats being released and whats not

and i think he cant do better than now, without risking to be in a situation like on death row again
only option would be if he'd also do all the work suge did at death row - but he obviously doesnt wanna waste his time on this - he wants to do music - period

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
hmmm, very interesting aspects youre sharing here
and they lead me to the conclusion dre knows he needs someone else to lead him. he isnt as compfortable as he thought he would be after parting ways with suge.
he thought he could do it on it own, but like he said in an interview lately it was too much. he had to much to do
maybe thats why he shared those 30% with jimmy, so he had someone to overlook things
i really think he likes this

i mean this man didnt even think the california love beat was a hot beat -- he need tupac to let him know that

and if he really likes this situation of being watched by someone, now he could leave interscope and still get back his rights to his legacy: aftermath
with deathrow and suge as a 50% owner he wasnt able to do this
so basically he still has control over his label, but not of whats being released and whats not

and i think he cant do better than now, without risking to be in a situation like on death row again
only option would be if he'd also do all the work suge did at death row - but he obviously doesnt wanna waste his time on this - he wants to do music - period

well yeah, him concentrating on the music part is good. but he's the CEO of the label. well i don't know what Eazy-E exactly did as a CEO, but i do know that the success of ruthless records was for a large part thanks to his manager. so why can't Dre create something like that( even though the industry is different right now, you can certainly compare the situation with the late 80's), not everybody is the same as suge knight.
i mean, yes, he can't just go independent and be the CEO and take care of his label all by himself; besides, he wouldn't be able to spend as much time into producing as he usually does. but i do think that there are/were other nice opportunities than selling the 30% share of aftermath. i mean, yeah, he earns millions of dollars per year, but that's not the only thing to be succesfull as a CEO (i can't imagine that dre is actually proud of aftermath, but maybe that's just me). i mean, if only he, eminem and 50 cent ( who's sales have actually decreased a lot) can sell well, then there must be something wrong. besides, as a producer,  he spends so much time in the studio, so doesn't he want more of his work to be actually released on the albums of his artists, in stead of going to the vaults?

i guess i'm wrong though, dre is apparently comfortable with the situation he's in with interscope, otherwise he would have cut all ties with the company a long time ago.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
suge was a gangbanger with money, lol u cant compare the two

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah im sure dre needs someone else to handle the business side....and without eminem aftermath would folded in 98