Author Topic: CREDITS: Jay-Z - American Gangster  (Read 8103 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
CREDITS: Jay-Z - American Gangster
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:07:52 AM »
Jay-Z
American Gangster
Def Jam records, 2007

01. Intro (Performed by Idris Elba)
Produced by Chris Flame
Co-Produced by Idris “Driis” Elba
Additional vocals: Angel Wood
* Contains dialogue from the motion picture American Gangster, dialogue excerpts spoken by Denzel Washington

02. Pray
Produced by Diddy, LV & Sean C
Additional vocals by Beyonce
* Samples "New Earth" by Hank Marvin

03. American Dreamin'
Co-produced by Mario Winans
Background vocals: Keon Bryce
* Samples "Soon I'll Be Loving You Again" by Marvin Gaye

04. Hello Brooklyn 2.0. (feat. Lil' Wayne)
Produced by Bigg D
* Samples "B-Boy Bouillabaise (Hello Brooklyn)" by the Beastie Boys

05. No Hook
Vocals: Jayms Madison
* Samples "Love Serenade" by Barry White
* Contains dialogue from the motion picture American Gangster, dialogue excerpts spoken by Denzel Washington

06. Roc Boys
Additional vocals by Kanye West, Cassie & Beyonce
* Samples "Make The Road By Walking" by Menahan Street Band

07. Sweet
* Samples "Does Your Mama Know" by Rudy Love & The Love Family

08. I Know
Produced by The Neptunes
Additional vocals: Pharrell Williams

09. Party Life
Vocals: Shannon Jones
* Samples "Get Into The Party Life" by Little Beaver

10. Ignorant Shit (feat. Beanie Sigel)
Produced by Just Blaze
* Samples "Between the Sheets" by The Isley Brothers

11. Say Hello
Produced by Toomp
Background vocals: Rhonda Robinson
* Samples "The Love We Share Is The Greatest of Them All" by Tom Brock

12. Success (feat. Nas)
Produced by No ID
Co-produced by Jermaine Dupri
Background vocals: Juan "OG" Perez
* Contains dialogue from the motion picture American Gangster
* Samples "Funky Thing (Part 1)" by Larry Ellis & The Black Hammer

13. Fallin' (feat. Bilal)
Produced by Jermaine Dupri
Co-produced by No ID
* Samples "Fell for You" by The Dramatics

Bonus Tracks:
14. American Gangster
Produced by Just Blaze
* Samples "Short Eyes" by Curtis Mayfield

15. Blue Magic (feat. Pharrell)
Produced by The Neptunes
* Contains dialogue from the motion picture Frankenstein
* Contains dialogue from the motion picture American Gangster
* Samples "Hold On" by En Vogue

LEFTOVERS:

Dead Presidents III
Produced by Ski

When The Moneys Gone
Produced by Jermaine Dupri

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:00:41 AM by Meho »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: PARTIAL CREDITS: Jay-Z - American Gangster
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »
Source:

Scarfe

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:19:58 AM »

There's a track calles Roc Boys

Source: Just Blaze's blog, When I... First Heard - http://themegatrondon2.com/

Blu Lacez

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
Source:

Hey Timbo, hve you heard snippets yet??
Are They Good??
Just askin cuz i hate Itunes

everlast1986

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 03:31:43 PM »
lol "Ignorant Shit" leaked like 3 years ago

teletomble

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »

Did A Version Without A DJ Leak?

Jome

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »

There’s also a new version of “Ignorant Shit” that features Beanie Sigel (the only guest rapper I heard so far) and Jay lets Imus have it in the final verse.

balloonk2311

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 03:31:22 PM »
Is this out?

TRG

Frenzy

• AKA Soundwave
  • Lil Geezy
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
Source:  http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/10/jay-z-american-.html

check out a track-by-track preview of the highlights so far.

* "Pray": American Gangster's first cut, one of several produced by none other than Sean "Diddy" Combs — whom Jay still calls "Puffy," harkening back to days long past when both were members of the late Notorious B.I.G.'s circle. "[The album] starts with a kid looking into the game," Jay explained. The beat slams ominously behind his scene-setting rhymes: "Mindstate of a gangster from the '40s/Meets the business mind of Motown's Berry Gordy."

* "No Hook": Another wide-screen Puff production, full of dark organ vibes, and more rhymes from an aspiring kingpin's perspective: "F---rich, let's get wealthy/Who else gon' feed we?" The mood is sneering, hungry, with Jay almost seeming to slip into his long-abandoned double-time flow at times.

* "Roc Boys": "That's him at his height," Jay said of his persona in this song. "It's a celebration of the whole s---." Exultant horns burst out on the beat (Puffy again) as the rapper revels in a lifestyle funded by ill-gotten riches: "First of all, I wanna thank my connect/The most important person, with all due respect/...Think rosé/Think O.J./I get away with murder when I sling yey'." (The song also includes a reference to "black bar mitzvahs." Maybe that "L'chaim" was even more significant than I realized.)

* "I Know": Hard-hitting percussion and sparkling synths underly this conceptual track about desire's many faces: "I know what you like/I'm your prescription/I'm your physician/I'm your addiction." "I'm using a lot of heroin references," Jay noted as he tried to unpack the song's multi-layered metaphors. "[But] on another level, it plays as a song about relationships. And on a drunk-too-much-wine-one-night level, it plays as the game talking to me. It's f---ing weird — but the music is great." He's not lying.

* "Ignorant S---": Web-savvy fans may recall a purposefully outrageous outtake from 2003's The Black Album bearing this name. "It's one of those gems you can't let go," Jay said now. So he dusted it off for Gangster, complete with the unforgettably explicit hook in which he boasts, "I got that ignorant s--- you like/N----, f---, s----, a--, b----, trick, plus ice!" Just call him rap's George Carlin. The song now also features a decidedly non-ignorant new verse in which Jay thoughtfully eviscerates Don Imus and all those who've equated the disgraced shock jock with foul-mouthed rappers — plus some tight guest bars from Jay's longtime protege Beanie Sigel.

* "Success": The endorphin rush provided by new money starts to wear off on this cut, produced by Chicago veteran (and Kanye West mentor) No I.D. "I used to give a f---, now I give a f--- less," Jay reflects over a rapidly descending organ riff. "Truth be told, I had more fun when I was piss-poor." Jay's former rival Nas talked him into letting him spit on this track; Nas' verse hasn't been mixed in yet, but Jay promises that "It's hot. He killed it."

* "Say Hello to the Bad Guy": Atlanta's DJ Toomp (T.I.'s "What You Know," Kanye West's "Big Brother") contributed this beat, which keeps that darkening mood going with church-like organs.

* "When the Money's Gone": The title says it all about this one. Jay raps about the inevitable downfall which befalls even the most successful hustlers; Jermaine Dupri produced the backdrop of shuffling drums and cascading synths.

* "Fallen": Another J.D. production, and likely the album's final track. Jay reflects on the perverse pleasure the public takes in seeing a star destroyed: "Fallen/They applaudin'." Neosoul crooner Bilal sings the elegiac hook. It's a cathartic ending to an emotionally gripping album.

Conspicuously missing from the evening's playlist was "Blue Magic," the album's fantastic teaser single; Jay still isn't sure yet where it would fit in, and he's even considering making it an unlisted bonus track.

Jay stuck around for a couple more hours of free-wheeling discussion with the Yankees' playoff game in the background, supplemented by the aforementioned libations. As the night went on, he decided to treat us to one more new song — a number that's been giving him some trouble, called "This S--- Right Here." The problem? He's worried that the Marvin Gaye-sampling beat is too laidback for the energetic rhymes he's currently laid down over it. Legitimately interested in getting some feedback, Jay insisted on hearing each and every attendee's opinion on whether he should trade the supremely mellow beat in for something harder-hitting. (For the record, it sounds great as-is, and it'll be a shame if the final album doesn't include that transcendent Marvin sample.)

It was 10 p.m. by the time I took my leave; the studio gathering was still going strong, but I had more than enough food for thought to go on. One remark in particular stuck in my head as I left. "The album plays like a cautionary tale, but it's not really true [for me]," Jay confided with a smile at one point. "I really made it [out of the streets]. Al Capone didn't make it. Michael Corleone, Scarface — I'm iller than all them n----s." Strong words, but the guy sure knows how to back his boasts up.
(Just click)

Ra-San

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »
Looks like this album gonna be the REAL Jay-Z comeback

DJ Toomp, Ignorant Shit, Timbo... whoa  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:58:13 PM by Ra-San »

I thought I took one step, I took two back
I'm not even close this time and that's a fact
All I know is that we'd be the perfect match
So where you at love?
I just gotta find you here.

k1000

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:18 AM »

for real ?

topshotta

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
I just hope this comes out better than Kingdome Come then Im happy!!

Ra-San

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

for real ?

Well, that's what I see on a lotta sites... If it's true, then is gonna be hot. Jay and Timbo always bring the heat

I thought I took one step, I took two back
I'm not even close this time and that's a fact
All I know is that we'd be the perfect match
So where you at love?
I just gotta find you here.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 11:23:46 AM »
Timbaland said Jay called him to do the 2nd single but it hasnt been mentioned in any previews, lets hope it makes the cut.