Author Topic: i hope kanye west was right  (Read 1272 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: i hope kanye west was right
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 10:19:48 AM »
I just expect more from people and would like to see hip hop get as much respect as other art scenes and cultures. and in order to succesfully do that, we have to honestly assess the problems with the culture.

would y'all rather see Oprah continue to roast rappers on national television convincing millions at a time that it's not a valid genre/artform?

I don't say this shit just to be brutal/harsh/mean. I'd like to see that shit stop.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Man On The Moon

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'll Be Posted With My Blunt and A Brew...
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 10:20:43 AM »
What the fuck does Jake saying the word "nigger" have to do with Hip Hop culture?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »
the way people on this forum (hip hop fans) reacted to it.
it matched up with the way i've seen most hip hop fans/artists/afficionados etc. react to that word despite the context it's being used in.

it's just as bad as that conservative mom turning off her kids 2pac talking about 'all he does is say fuck shit nigger and bitch' not even realizing the depth/positivity of the music/message.

so often I see hip hop bitch about injustice and then turn around and do the same thing. just like hip hop cats will bitch about discrimination and then go on to mercilessly bash gay people. it's hypocritical and it's why shit like Oprah roasting rappers happens.

-T
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:26:47 AM by Tanjential »

westcoastavengers.com

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »
Jake gets roasted for the use of one word and I'm judgmental?

-T

I'm not talking about this thread, homie...

Man On The Moon

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 10:25:49 AM »
So you're going to judge a whole culture by the way people on the internet act?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »
I just expect more from people and would like to see hip hop get as much respect as other art scenes and cultures. and in order to succesfully do that, we have to honestly assess the problems with the culture.

would y'all rather see Oprah continue to roast rappers on national television convincing millions at a time that it's not a valid genre/artform?

I don't say this shit just to be brutal/harsh/mean. I'd like to see that shit stop.

-T

No, but it's even worse when you come with an Oprahesque mind-state on here, and start spewing nonsense about how and why other people look down upon hip-hop...I can find you just as much garbage in any other genre (besides maybe classical and jazz)...but seriously, the only thing that's wrong with hip-hop is the mainstream presentation, not the mind-state of the true heads...not by a long shot...PeACe

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »
this is but one example.

but yeah you're right, there are cats like Murs and other intelligent cats that are way more open minded and positive and accepting and intelligent in hip hop but I don't see the wide majority of the culture's followers having opinions in line with that kind of thinking as much as I see people having thinking in common with the chauvinistic gangster rap.

Point being, there's alot of cats that exude that ignorance that are bringing the whole movement/culture down and the more we can curb that, the better.

So yeah you're right it ain't the whole culture. but enough of it so that it's an observable problem/trend.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 10:31:01 AM »
it matched up with the way i've seen most hip hop fans/artists/afficionados etc. react to that word despite the context it's being used in.

it's just as bad as that conservative mom turning off her kids 2pac talking about 'all he does is say fuck shit nigger and bitch' not even realizing the depth/positivity of the music/message.

so often I see hip hop bitch about injustice and then turn around and do the same thing. just like hip hop cats will bitch about discrimination and then go on to mercilessly bash gay people. it's hypocritical and it's why shit like Oprah roasting rappers happens.

-T

So what? Rock fans get offended if you say "Kurt Kobane sucks"...open your mind and stop making everything an "all my friends think rap is immature" thing. Many grown black people who hate hip-hop woulda' been offended by what Jake just said...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 10:31:59 AM »
this is but one example.

but yeah you're right, there are cats like Murs and other intelligent cats that are way more open minded and positive and accepting and intelligent in hip hop but I don't see the wide majority of the culture's followers having opinions in line with that kind of thinking as much as I see people having thinking in common with the chauvinistic gangster rap.

Point being, there's alot of cats that exude that ignorance that are bringing the whole movement/culture down and the more we can curb that, the better.

So yeah you're right it ain't the whole culture. but enough of it so that it's an observable problem/trend.

-T

Yea? And what culture is not like that?...

Not everyone can be a gem, homie...PeACe

Man On The Moon

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »
Tanj, you're a cool dude, and the homie, but I need to tell you these two things.

1. Lighten up!

2. You can't save the world!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »
^^For number 2, I wouldn't say that, cuz he can definitely aid in saving the world...but yea, Tanjint, you sometimes need to look at things with a more open mind, IMO...PeACe

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »

-T

So what? Rock fans get offended if you say "Kurt Kobane sucks"...open your mind and stop making everything an "all my friends think rap is immature" thing. Many grown black people who hate hip-hop woulda' been offended by what Jake just said...PeACe

I think those same grown black people would be even more offended by swangbang dropping out of school.

and that's my whole thing, the fact that Jake's comment and not swangbang's decision is the issue of discussion/problem here. Priorities hella fucked up. Like buying some rims instead of some land.

and yeah if you're okay with true heads being it and the positive aspects of hip hop being virtually a secret, then cool but if we can make true heads the predominate population of the culture, then fuck...imagine all the good it would do. on an artistic and educational level if nothing else.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »

1. Lighten up!

tell that to the impulsive cats who roasted Jake for a word without looking at what he meant

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »
this is but one example.

-T

Yea? And what culture is not like that?...

Not everyone can be a gem, homie...PeACe

all cultures have problems but most of them's existence are respected.

hip hop has gotten so disseminated into something digestible to the lowest common denominator that it's not even a universally respected genre. there are still debates as to if it's art, if it causes problems, if it's a dumb/negative thing...etc.

and I know that it is art and the problems are not the artforms fault etc. but we, as a culture, are doing a poor job of convincing the world of that. and this has real ramifications:

a)kids can't wear tupac shirts at school
b)there's less college courses/educational programs in regards to it then there is other art forms
c)censorship
d)real artists can't make a living and thus have to stop being artists and get jobs.

all that shit hurts the culture. we can be better than that.

or if we can't, then stop bitching about it when cnn and bill o reilly roast that shit.

I see people here bitch about how hip hop gets roasted and then they act ignorant as fuck and i'm like 'wtf did you expect? acting like that...' and I'd just like to see either the bitching or the roasting stop.

I guess people really don't like change/would rather rest on their laurels.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »
oh and rik and nik. you don't need to clarify that you're cool with me when we contradict each other. the fact that we don't slip into 'fuck you!' while we argue says it all.  8)

-T

westcoastavengers.com