Author Topic: Update:900 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against Canadian Gov  (Read 916 times)

Priest

• 'G'
Update:900 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against Canadian Gov
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »
From Sohh.com

Update: Label Head Expects $900 Mil In Rapper Profiling Suit, "Canada Doesn't Have A Hip-Hop Problem, It Has A Black Problem"

Canada and the State Department have defaulted in hip-hop label owner Jerome Almon's $900 million lawsuit against them and according to the Murdercap Records CEO, have done so to avoid "devastating documentation" of the country's racial profiling practices.

As SOHH previously reported, Almon recently filed a suit alleging "wholesale profiling" of rappers and African-Americans by Canadian border officials, claiming that along with himself, numerous rappers including 50 Cent, Eminem and DMX have either been turned away or faced lengthy interrogations at Canadian borders.

"They [Canada] don't know what to do right now, because I know what they've pulled," Almon told SOHH exclusively regarding the default. "If I'm a liar, why don't they just call me a liar? They won't do it. The documentation speaks for itself."

Almon says that Canada's attack on African-Americans and rappers is partly an effort to blame them for the increased gang violence and gun murders in Toronto and Vancouver. He called Canada's border stance racist and hypocritical, arguing that pedophiles and terrorists are allowed into the country while hip-hop stars are excluded.

"America and Canada don't have a hip-hop problem, they have a black problem," he said. "A two-dimensional black problem."
Last year, Canadian authorities sought to ban 50 Cent and other "gangster" rappers from performing in the country. Almon claims those same authorities also drew up Bills C-254 and C-95, which would ban all U.S. rappers and their CDs from Canada by categorizing hip-hop as hate speech.

Almon has even set up a Web site at abadraponmurdercap.com with information that he claims documents the discrimination, while also defending hip-hop culture.

Melisa Leclerc, a spokesperson for Stockwell Day, Canada's minister of public safety, declined to comment to SOHH on the specifics of the case, but she did say that the Canadian government is "committed to ensuring the fair treatment of all travelers to Canada." She also maintains that the criteria and indicators used by the country's border services officers do not discriminate on grounds protected by the Canadian Human Rights Act.

The lawsuit - which was prepared by the chief of Detroit's American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - also names US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Jay-Z, Olivia, Colin Powell, Toronto Mayor David Miller and Spike Lee, among others, as witnesses.

Almon claims that Rice is in collusion with the Canadian government despite knowledge of the country's racial profiling practices.

Because the defendants named in the suit did not respond within the allotted period of time - in this case, 60 days - Almon can now seek a default judgment, which involves the court ruling on the case and potentially awarding him up to the full amount of his claim, and possibly legal fees.

Almon said he expects to be awarded the full $900 million and will not consider dropping the suit in exchange for a settlement.

"The only way they can stop me from taking that money is if I'm dead," he said. "They know what they've done."

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Update:900 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against Canadian Gov
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »
Almon is the dumbest person alive. What a pathetic world where people let idiots sue Countries.

Oh Oh, Canada stops 50 Cent at the border. What about the thousands of middle eastern people they STOP at air ports, and illegally search and interrogate. That's racial profiling. Maybe the thousands of middle eastern people should each sue the US for 900 million dollars.

OchoCinco

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:54:32 AM »
From Sohh.com

Update: Label Head Expects $900 Mil In Rapper Profiling Suit, "Canada Doesn't Have A Hip-Hop Problem, It Has A Black Problem"

"The only way they can stop me from taking that money is if I'm dead," he said. "They know what they've done."

looks like someones gunan show up dead,,,,,ps the dude is a loony if he thinks hes gettin any money

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »
Almon is the dumbest person alive. What a pathetic world where people let idiots sue Countries.

Oh Oh, Canada stops 50 Cent at the border. What about the thousands of middle eastern people they STOP at air ports, and illegally search and interrogate. That's racial profiling. Maybe the thousands of middle eastern people should each sue the US for 900 million dollars.

i agree there....but the dude has a point....

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »
canadian gov while likely ignore that dude and his requests and we wont never hear about him no more

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »
canadian gov while likely ignore that dude and his requests and we wont never hear about him no more

Lmao i know. I remember when 50 came to Van, his bodygurads beat the shit outta some dude and the dude sued 50 for like a few mil, dont know whats going on with that though!!!

Vinnie

• 'G'
  • not quite that fly.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
From Sohh.com

As SOHH previously reported, Almon recently filed a suit alleging "wholesale profiling" of rappers and African-Americans by Canadian border officials, claiming that along with himself, numerous rappers including 50 Cent, Eminem and DMX have either been turned away or faced lengthy interrogations at Canadian borders.
Right, Eminem is a great example.

From what I have read in the past, Canada does not have a problem with hip-hop, African-Americans, or black people; Canada has a problem with individuals who have a criminal record.  In my opinion, to say that that concern is not justified would require a degree of ignorance; not to say that criminals will strike again, but those who have been convicted should be questioned or the public will cry out if they do strike again.

I remember this happened to The Exploited and Total Chaos back in 2003, I think it was.  NBC was showing images of kids trashing a street in Canada after hearing that the shows were canceled because the bands could not get into the country.

Priest

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:49:43 PM »
That's definately not true...PoPo in the 51st division in toronto are literally assaulting black people on the daily,and getting away with it.

Don't believe me read this link

http://www.tonyeallenandannbrown.blogspot.com/

Priest

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
From Sohh.com

Canada and the State Department have defaulted in hip-hop label owner Jerome Almon's $900 million lawsuit against them and according to the Murdercap Records CEO, have done so to avoid "devastating documentation" of the country's racial profiling practices.

"They [Canada] don't know what to do right now, because I know what they've pulled," Almon told SOHH exclusively regarding the default. "If I'm a liar, why don't they just call me a liar? They won't do it. The documentation speaks for itself."

Almon says that Canada's attack on African-Americans and rappers is partly an effort to blame them for the increased gang violence and gun murders in Toronto and Vancouver. He called Canada's border stance racist and hypocritical, arguing that pedophiles and terrorists are allowed into the country while hip-hop stars are excluded.

"America and Canada don't have a hip-hop problem, they have a black problem," he said. "A two-dimensional black problem."
Last year, Canadian authorities sought to ban 50 Cent and other "gangster" rappers from performing in the country. Almon claims those same authorities also drew up Bills C-254 and C-95, which would ban all U.S. rappers and their CDs from Canada by categorizing hip-hop as hate speech.

Almon has even set up a Web site at abadraponmurdercap.com with information that he claims documents the discrimination, while also defending hip-hop culture.

Melisa Leclerc, a spokesperson for Stockwell Day, Canada's minister of public safety, declined to comment to SOHH on the specifics of the case, but she did say that the Canadian government is "committed to ensuring the fair treatment of all travelers to Canada." She also maintains that the criteria and indicators used by the country's border services officers do not discriminate on grounds protected by the Canadian Human Rights Act.

The lawsuit - which was prepared by the chief of Detroit's American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - also names US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Jay-Z, Olivia, Colin Powell, Toronto Mayor David Miller and Spike Lee, among others, as witnesses.

Almon claims that Rice is in collusion with the Canadian government despite knowledge of the country's racial profiling practices.

Because the defendants named in the suit did not respond within the allotted period of time - in this case, 60 days - Almon can now seek a default judgment, which involves the court ruling on the case and potentially awarding him up to the full amount of his claim, and possibly legal fees.

Almon said he expects to be awarded the full $900 million and will not consider dropping the suit in exchange for a settlement.

Kardinal Offishall interview at XXL:

Indie Label owner Jerome Almon sued the Canadian government alleging that his artists get profiled when they try to cross the border. Is there really some rapper profiling going on?

There’s all truth to it. People hate to come to Canada on tour, not because of the country or the people, but because of customs. I remember one year I was like, “Yo, Bus, I gotta get you up here.” He was like, “Fuck that! I hate them niggas.” He was shooting a movie up there. He had his proper papers, visa, all that and they still would mess with him at the border for like hours at a time. And that’s what they do. They just mess with people no matter what. Right now, they’ve been cool with me for the last year, year and a half. They used to give me a hassle and I’m from there, so I can only imagine people that are not from there and are trying to get there and make some money touring. Besides that, a lot of dudes have records whether it be for small things or bigger things and they make it damn near impossible to make it across the border.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
its fucked up. comedians used to make jokes about how easy it is to get across the canadian border, but i guess its just jokes.

i remember having tix to some bone thug concert a few months back and they werent allowed in -> kray was talkin about it on their site and said they werent even given a reason other than "their music was too violent" or something. probably a misquote by myself, but its rediculous

ive been hearing about this lawsuit for a while though

Priest

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »
its fucked up. comedians used to make jokes about how easy it is to get across the canadian border, but i guess its just jokes.

i remember having tix to some bone thug concert a few months back and they werent allowed in -> kray was talkin about it on their site and said they werent even given a reason other than "their music was too violent" or something. probably a misquote by myself, but its rediculous

ive been hearing about this lawsuit for a while though

And that's the kind of excuse that they've been able to use to keep any hip hop artist out of canada,and they've been given the green light to do that by the canadian government,they banned Game from coming into canada in 2007 and the excuse was that Game was a threat to an entire country,so they used the "National Security" excuse to keep another hip hop artist out of canada. 

MediumL

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 10:58:29 AM »
i guess some rappers having criminal records doesnt help their cause. Although the canadian govt has bigger problems than rappers. Ive been to canada and its as if hardly anyone is patriotic, they all seem to rep european or carribean countries smh. While secotrs of the community are marganalised and do not feel part of anything, that is when people start joining gangs etc.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Priest

• 'G'
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »
I feel ya on the criminal records part,but that's what criminal pardons are for,and as for the broken factions in canada,that's very true,and then there are american citizens living in canada and they're feeling isolated because canada is a very anti american society,and that kind of thing comes from the government down to the people. 

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
funny how canadian border patrol act the way the american border troopers act with regular people, but with celebrities

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »